Varian Medical Systems

Updated January 25, 2015
3.6

Varian Medical Systems President & CEO Dow R. Wilson
Dow R. Wilson

Pros
  • They offer outstanding benefits and are relatively flexible with the work-life balance (in 15 reviews)

• There are some really good people who work here (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely poor management exists at all levels in clinical education (in 6 reviews)

• Middle management politics causes in inefficiencies and negative employee relationships (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great feeling knowing that each employee has a role in helping people. It's also good to see that same spirit with the people I work with. Management has really made an effort to unite all parts of the company into a positive direction and make sure that communication lines are open.

Cons

Enacting measures to cut costs while maintaining quality; this is a good thing and will help us stay profitable and keep our workforce. It's just that it adds a little pressure in every aspect of our work.

A little overworked, a little underpaid

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time

Pros

I really like our foundation, the message that we stand behind, and the product that we deliver. I am very proud to be apart of that. They offer outstanding benefits and are relatively flexible with the work-life balance.

Cons

Management seems a little dated- no one leaves the company and no one new is brought in for fresh ideas.

Laissez-faire managers participate in and turn a blind eye to harassment and workplace bullying in clinical education.

Former Employee - Physics Instructor (Clinical Applications) in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Physics Instructor (Clinical Applications) in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Varian Medical Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, OK salary. Company still has secure market position with regard to some flagship products. There are some really good people who work here. Unfortunately, they are overshadowed.

The clinical education department is better suited for new grads or lower ranking radiation oncology personnel, rather than for more knowledgeable, seasoned, higher ranking professionals. Good for therapists, but not attractive for certified, clinical medical physicists.

Cons

Extremely poor management exists at all levels in clinical education. The working environment is politically toxic.

A "clickish, "ol-boys club" is very much in place. To an outrageous extent, false work reviews, false (often preposterous) accusations, workplace bullying, downright lies, and all manner of underhanded tactics are often used to subdue employees who are seen as a threat by some unscrupulous individuals. Unfortunately, workplace bullying is not yet against the law in most states.

A Laissez-faire approach to management is the norm. They are taking what they perceive as the easy way out.

Beware of taking a job here where you have more credentials, experience, and expertise than your coworkers and especially your manager. You may become a target. Run! Don't just walk away.

For me, this was absolutely the worst working environment in my substantial career. Unbelievable.

Follow the companies published values rather than doing the opposite. Do the right thing.

Many people in radiation oncology facilities, both domestic and abroad, who are key decision makers regarding large capital equipment purchases will be going with Elekta and Accuray rather than Varian in the future. When considering such purchases, It is often easy to make an argument either way, for one vendor or the other. But many people just don't like dealing with Varian. Could this have something to do with loosing market share? I assure you that it has and will.

Solid company with 65 year history in Silicon Valley.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time

Pros

One of the first Silicon Valley companies, with a long history of innovative, high quality products. Truly, strives to add customer value.

Cons

Over the years the company has grown extremely conservative, sluggish and "corporate". The present company is NOT for those who want a dynamic, fast-paced tech company.

Go back to the company's and founder's roots and bring the company back to the leading edge of human and social capital theory, and more aggressive product revolution.

Ok experience

Former Employee - Design in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Design in Marietta, GA

I worked at Varian Medical Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Salary, Casual Atmosphere, bonus, the product

Cons

Micro Managed Atmosphere, inexperienced managers, negative culture

Create a better culture for employees

Best Job Ever!

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are alot of employees at Varian that have been with the company for 10-20+ years because it is an awesome company to work for. Medical benefits are great for families, plenty of days off plus the option to borrow more time off, and a Christmas shutdown for a week. The company has money to spend spend so everyone has the supplies and tools they need to do their job. The employees are very nice. No office gossip or drama at all! Everyone is prety l;aid back and very understanding. Good work/life balance. Very little stress. Tons of training on variety of topics. Education reimbursement program. Cafeteria has amazing food and employees get a pretty good discount. FREE gym with free exercise group classes all day!!! This is only the tip of the iceberg! Too many perks and benefits to mention. Ok, so they basically spoil you!

Cons

IT is a pain. They send your IT request to India. It takes a day for someone to get back to you only to tell you they can't help you and need to dispatch someone on site. Meanwhile, you can't print or whatever the priblem is for almost two days before anything is resolved. HR is horrific! Avoid them like the plague. Some of the employees feel entitled. A lot of moaning and complaining about not wanting to do their job.

More corporate events would be nice, but overall great job!!!

Great place to work

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems

Pros

A solid place to work for. A huge percentage of people have been with company for decades yet it has not slowed ability to innovate.
    Everyday, the work you do contributes to saving a life.

Cons

Likes to run lean for a resource standpoint. Though it potentially means job security it also means that there is much more demand and pressure to produce more in less time.

Don't take advantage of the dedication of the people who care about what this company does, hire the right amount of resources to do what needs to be done.

Overall - great company!

Former Employee - Manager, District Field Operations in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Manager, District Field Operations in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Varian Medical Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My team, as well as individuals from other functions, were very dedicated and knowledgeable. The customers (Medical Physicists and Radiation Therapists) were highly professional, yet very caring and personable. I occasionally had the opportunity to interact with patients. In spite of the trials they were going through (cancer treatments), they were consistently friendly (some with a great sense of humor!) and appreciative of what we – through our product and their health providers – were doing for them.

Cons

The sheer volume of work was the challenge! It was constant triage to see what items were delayed or had to slip completely in order to meet the higher priorities. While the frequent travels were fine, the actual travel time, especially driving, wasn’t really “built” into the job load. If a week of travel included 20+ hours of actual drive time, that lost time came out of personal life.

Re-evaluate job scope with respect to travel. Reduce unnecessary reporting requirements, and provide evidence of how reporting is used and subsequent improvements.

Stable company with great people and culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good opportunities for growth. Great culture. Stable and profitable company.

Cons

Some middle management philosophy improvements needed

Enthusiastic and ready to help the world

I worked at Varian Medical Systems

Pros

The people there are great and the enthusiasm expressed by the workers provide a fun and easy environment to work in.

Cons

The workspace feels like it is from the 1970's. It does not have the progressive mentality that most companies in silicon valley, nowadays, possess.

Change up the work space and open the cubicles

Varian Medical Systems Photos