Varian Medical Systems Reviews

Updated March 22, 2015
162 reviews filtered by

Good company to work for.

Former Contractor - Technical Writer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Contractor - Technical Writer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Varian Medical Systems as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have a good work atmosphere.

Cons

It is a little bureaucratic and things move slowly. The FDA and other regulatory requirements is the cause for that.

Improve decision making.

pretty good experience

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems

Pros

Have a big global environment

Cons

communication, technology growth, culture is ok, employee training, growth, new technology

good company to work for.

I worked at Varian Medical Systems

Pros

good company to work for. Best products. Be proud of the work.

Cons

Management not concerned with quality of life issue. Work then work OT to get jobs done. too much OT.

Take a look at who is satisfying customers and reward them. No place for not having the real facts.

5. Excellent company, products, and corporate culture

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent company, products, and corporate culture

Cons

This is a good, stable company. all good.

Stable company

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time

Pros

Helps manage cancer care and life expectancy.
    Slowly working to become better company.
    Good gym and Cafe.
    Good people to work with.
    Good work and life balance.
    Good location in bay area.

Cons

Middle management politics causes in inefficiencies and negative employee relationships.
    Process inefficiencies and slow pace for improvements. Need new ideas.
    Low promotion rate at mid-levels.Promotions often does not reflect right skill levels.
    Culture is not in line with today's new companies, and ingrained in old style.
    Personal growth is limited.

Treat employees with respect and provide them with full support. Reduce the political environment and fight for people you are responsible for. Benchmark other companies for faster improvements.

Safe,steady but slow!

Current Employee - Software Quality Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Quality Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

stable company with great products and safe is this hard economy to stick too

Cons

old school,no bonus or 1% yrly bonus(max),avg iteration of ppl =1% may be,so none leaves-hence its stangant mind set of ppl in middle management...anyone is from european non-indian will be becom manager

create bottom up clarity.empower low people and prmote them,pay good bonus..salary is as per texas area standarad not as per bay area

8. Good place to work

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great feeling knowing that each employee has a role in helping people. It's also good to see that same spirit with the people I work with. Management has really made an effort to unite all parts of the company into a positive direction and make sure that communication lines are open.

Cons

Enacting measures to cut costs while maintaining quality; this is a good thing and will help us stay profitable and keep our workforce. It's just that it adds a little pressure in every aspect of our work.

A little overworked, a little underpaid

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time

Pros

I really like our foundation, the message that we stand behind, and the product that we deliver. I am very proud to be apart of that. They offer outstanding benefits and are relatively flexible with the work-life balance.

Cons

Management seems a little dated- no one leaves the company and no one new is brought in for fresh ideas.

Laissez-faire managers participate in and turn a blind eye to harassment and workplace bullying in clinical education.

Former Employee - Physics Instructor (Clinical Applications) in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Physics Instructor (Clinical Applications) in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Varian Medical Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, OK salary. Company still has secure market position with regard to some flagship products. There are some really good people who work here. Unfortunately, they are overshadowed.

The clinical education department is better suited for new grads or lower ranking radiation oncology personnel, rather than for more knowledgeable, seasoned, higher ranking professionals. Good for therapists, but not attractive for certified, clinical medical physicists.

Cons

Extremely poor management exists at all levels in clinical education. The working environment is politically toxic.

A "clickish, "ol-boys club" is very much in place. To an outrageous extent, false work reviews, false (often preposterous) accusations, workplace bullying, downright lies, and all manner of underhanded tactics are often used to subdue employees who are seen as a threat by some unscrupulous individuals. Unfortunately, workplace bullying is not yet against the law in most states.

A Laissez-faire approach to management is the norm. They are taking what they perceive as the easy way out.

Beware of taking a job here where you have more credentials, experience, and expertise than your coworkers and especially your manager. You may become a target. Run! Don't just walk away.

For me, this was absolutely the worst working environment in my substantial career. Unbelievable.

Follow the companies published values rather than doing the opposite. Do the right thing.

Many people in radiation oncology facilities, both domestic and abroad, who are key decision makers regarding large capital equipment purchases will be going with Elekta and Accuray rather than Varian in the future. When considering such purchases, It is often easy to make an argument either way, for one vendor or the other. But many people just don't like dealing with Varian. Could this have something to do with loosing market share? I assure you that it has and will.

Solid company with 65 year history in Silicon Valley.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time

Pros

One of the first Silicon Valley companies, with a long history of innovative, high quality products. Truly, strives to add customer value.

Cons

Over the years the company has grown extremely conservative, sluggish and "corporate". The present company is NOT for those who want a dynamic, fast-paced tech company.

Go back to the company's and founder's roots and bring the company back to the leading edge of human and social capital theory, and more aggressive product revolution.

Varian Medical Systems Photos