Varian Medical Systems

Updated September 23, 2014
3.7

Varian Medical Systems President & CEO Dow R. Wilson
Dow R. Wilson

Pros
  • They offer outstanding benefits and are relatively flexible with the work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• There are some really good people who work here (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • 1% may be,so none leaves-hence its stangant mind set of ppl in middle management (in 5 reviews)

• Work-life balance is nearly impossible, but not many great paying jobs will offer that (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Developing innovative software solutions to contribute to saving lives and to the fight against cancer.

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Contribute to developing innovative products in radiation therapy that save over 100k lives every year.
    Great teamwork and cooperation.
    International experience.
    Good work culture and work-life balance.

Cons

Typical large company where making changes is hard.
    Very large number of legacy products and installed base, that slows decision making.
    Regulated industry hampers the pace of product development.

Need better long term investment to develop competitive products.
    Need clear set of priorities and better communication across the company to be more responsive to customers.
    Need to create better internal opportunities and reward performance to attract and retain talent.

Senior Project Manager

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The Benefits of health/dental/vision are very good compared to most other corporations.

Cons

Work/life balance is disheartening.

Very stable, well run company.

I worked at Varian Medical Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Kolleen Kennedy is an awesome leader (President); she holds everyone accountable; not afraid to take out upper management who need to leave the company.

Cons

Because the industry (medical/oncology equip & software) is so heavily regulated, there are more processes than most organizations and it feels that every decision moves very slowly. I'm sure Kolleen will be improving the processes.

Keep doing what you are doing!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working at Varian is very rewarding and challenging.

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems

Pros

Some of the best things about Varian are: stability, great people to work with. The flexibility of the work place is great.

Cons

Some of the challenges working at Varian are: finding opportunities to grow. The processes at Varian could use some improvement.

Need to improve processes within manufacturing

CSS - awesome place to work in. Feels like a family and excellent collaboration.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent work life balance. You have a life after work.

Cons

Not very motivated to pay well

People first - reward the workers bee as well as the management.

Taking a job at Varian has been one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great mission, great products, good people, excellent corporate culture.

Cons

The company has grown organically for the most part, and we are sometimes working with systems that are outdated or that weren't scalable enough so haven't kept pace with our needs and hamper our ability to perform.

There might be invisible pockets of excellence and achievement, because not everyone is a great "self promoter." I'm not sure how you ferret out this kind of information but it's important to try.

Excellent company with great benefits

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Varian Medical Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Varian is a great company. It has an excellent group of people who are enjoyable to work with. There is plenty of exciting things to work on and it is always changing so the boredom never sets in.

Cons

Some of the middle managers are really worthless. It seems like Varian has a hangup of creating managers for no reason or filling the positions with people who are not right for the job. The company is great, certain managers are not!

Look at the people who you have at your middle management levels. Make sure they are happy in their position and also their employees are happy with them as a manager!

have a good working experience here

Current Employee - Physicist  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Physicist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good health coverage, espp plans

Cons

it gets hectic some times, but interesing

Good Company

Current Employee - Engineering Manager  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've been working at Varian in Engineering for a few years now and overall enjoy it. Putting my focus on technology that saves lives is wonderful. The team I manage are all driven around this too. As with every company, there are pros and cons and here are my opinions on this. Pro:
    Mission: Saving lives. What better mission can one have?
    Technology: Our products are among the best in the world.
    People: Many employees have been here for decades. Overall I see longer tenure here than any technology company I've worked for.
    Bonuses: Consistent, but not as high as I've seen in tech sector
    Culture: Kind.
    Facilities: Great new cafeteria and gym.
    HR: Helpful new technology launches. Good support when needing a hand in reviews, salary planning, performance issues.
    Market: Varian is the leader!

Cons

My Con list keeping in mind that no company is 100% perfect:
    Compensation: salary not as competitive as other tech companies in the valley. Little to no stock given any longer. Most Engineers I interview from tech companies still get stock.
    Finance: Very conservative and I find I have to do more leg work with little support. In a bad economy a conservative mentality helps though. But I need more support with budgets!
    IT: It’s ok.
    HR: Useless required training (goes with the territory though). Staffing function has become scary to deal with recently. HR seems to not value work from home programs as much as other companies. Maybe that’s an executive management issue.
    Market: Not a high growth market as in other technologies. But it’s stable.
    People: Some need to be weeded out and not be able to hide from job capabilities.

My advice to management is to stay conservative on finance, but not as extreme. Give more bonuses to workers other than sales. Keep up the good job at investing in R&D. Bring the head of Salt Lake City to our all hands meetings and give us an update on what's happening there. We hear it's good, but don't see anyone.

Good solid company.

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems

Pros

Solid company, good technology and research, most employees work very hard and help each other out. Seems to be very stable and in a niche market so there are not wild swings like in the semi-conductor industry. Great technical training.

Cons

Niche market so growth and opportunities can be slow coming, not as good as at larger companies like Philips or GE.

Varian Medical Systems Photos

Worked for Varian Medical Systems? Contribute to the Community!