Varian Medical Systems

Updated January 25, 2015
3.6

Varian Medical Systems President & CEO Dow R. Wilson
Dow R. Wilson

Pros
  • They offer outstanding benefits and are relatively flexible with the work-life balance (in 15 reviews)

• There are some really good people who work here (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely poor management exists at all levels in clinical education (in 6 reviews)

• Middle management politics causes in inefficiencies and negative employee relationships (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging and rewarding

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Varian Medical Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Overall Varian is a great company to work for. They seem to be concerned about the folks in the field when trying to meet our needs, both personal and professional.

Cons

Poor oversight of low level managers.

Great company with a clear vision

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems

Pros

great team environment, support from upper management, and a feel good environment knowing that what you're doing is directly helping cure cancer.

Cons

there are people who are hesitant to change because they have been there for so long. it's challenging to bring forward moving change to the company.

Great Mission!

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems

Pros

Love working at Varian. It provides me the work life balance needed at this point in my career and it feels good to be part of mission to save lives. I’m very excited about the future products we are working on. Knowing my children will not have to be as scared of the word cancer in the future is comforting as we are working really hard to design better treatment options.

Cons

Interacting with the staffing function within the past year has become horrible, just horrible. My team and I thought we were the only ones experiencing it but learned we are not alone. The words bully, nasty, and confrontational come to my mind, and it's obvious that upper management must be immune from this experience. Another con is that our pay isn’t as competitive compared to other companies within Silicon Valley.

stay the course!

Overall, a great company with great people

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It is a great feeling to be on a mission to help as many people as possible to overcome a really nasty disease. Everyone that I worked with is genuinely concerned with doing what they can to make treating cancer as effective as possible, which includes the patient and the treater that needs to operate the machine correctly. It is one of the rare companies I've seen in Silicon Valley where many people I met had worked there 10 or 15 years.

Cons

The reality of medical devices of this scale is there is lots of complexity in the machine and in the software. That fact, coupled with regulatory oversight, makes it very difficult to add/change/modify features. You have to be willing to jump in for the long term in order to make improvements.

Interesting job

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems

Pros

You get to travel all over and see the wold.

Cons

You have to travel all over the world.

My experience has been mixed. I have had great times but now I am getting burnt out.

Current Employee - Commodity Specialist in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Commodity Specialist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There is a lot of stability. The office culture is still stuck in the 70s-80s.

Cons

The salaries are not very competative for Silicon Valley however the benefits are fine and the stock does well.

In the past year there have been many additions to the management in Supply Chain but few or no workers to get the job done. The organization is also full of nepotism.

Great

Current Employee - Manufacuring Technician in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Manufacuring Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

No micro management, interesting work

Cons

Fixed yearly raises, does not cater well to weekend/off shifts

None

Great Benefits, nice co-worker, decent salary but boring routine work.

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Varian is a great and well establish company, I was working with a group of higher educated people (30% of them are PHD), great benefits, you do get to learn a lot when I started working there. My immediate manager was kind, and he actually works, not just playing with PPT or projects timeline, he gets his hand dirty. So the environment there are more like working for a captain instead of being managed.

Cons

Unstable, during my time there, 2009-2012, there were lots of management change, 3 rounds of lay off.

Work gets boring real fast

Opportunity for moving up is VERY limited

Great Mission

Current Employee - IT Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Our IT roadmap is fantastic. Our CIO is wonderful to work with and have a lot of confidence in her. Varian has great products that save lives. Feel like we are making an impact in patient lives in a positive way. We are growing at a nice pace. Great new cafeteria. I'm very proud to tell people I work for Varian and plan to be there for a long time.

Cons

IT budgets get tight sometimes and projects get delayed. Communication between business units can be improved. My team finds it disheartening working with the new HR staffing culture and that's a shame. Need more people in my group and always feel a little overstretched. Varian doesn't have a lot of younger employees.

Keep up with the great oncology product roadmap. Be careful not to hire new employees who clash with our long established friendly and respective culture. Continue to be conservative on the finances!

Good company, slow growth for career opportunities

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, casual culture, and positive mission

Cons

Slow career growth opportunities, slow to adopt business process improvements, old systems

Varian Medical Systems Photos