Varian Medical Systems

Varian Medical Systems Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Varian Medical Systems President & CEO Dow R. Wilson

Dow R. Wilson

Pros
  • They offer outstanding benefits and are relatively flexible with the work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Great mission, great products, good people, excellent corporate culture (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible, but not many great paying jobs will offer that (in 3 reviews)

• Old world middle management style disables the employees connection to the company (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good solid company.

ProsSolid company, good technology and research, most employees work very hard and help each other out. Seems to be very stable and in a niche market so there are not wild swings like in the semi-conductor industry. Great technical training.

ConsNiche market so growth and opportunities can be slow coming, not as good as at larger companies like Philips or GE.

culture is good but upward movement seems slow to none

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Milpitas, CA

Prosgreat culture and people are nice

Consslow upward movement and outlook for the future

Advice to Senior Managementmore pay and benfits

Varian

ProsHealth, dental, vision, and life insurance

ConsLately, quantity seems to be more important than quality.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Regular corporate mentality.

Field Service Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsIndustry is strong so job security is high. Company car for field reps.

ConsCost cutting measures at the employee's expense. Corporate mandate requiring minimum 2 weeks PPL usage during the last half of the year for the sole purpose to make company books look better.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit trying to make your budget sheets look better by requiring sacrifices from your lower employees.

good company with a great employee workforce, the only problem is the raises

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)

Prosgreat benefits, lots of cool health fair bonuses, for simply being healthy and also profit sharing is nice

Consraises are tough, its best to move departments or leave the company to get a significant raise it forced me to look elsewhere

The only thing good is the people

Prosfriendly co-workers and good environment

Conspay, raise, bonus, strict work from home policy

All stick, no carrot, old equipment, under staffed, micromanagers

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsPay is ok for engineers

ConsForced shut downs, forced vacations to hit numbers. Senior managers will micromanage at all levels to work on pet projects and constantly pull people away from their main responsibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employee's as people not property. Invest in modernizing.

Great company - unbalanced life

ProsBenefits are top tier and competitive.

ConsWork-life balance is nearly impossible, but not many great paying jobs will offer that.

Good company.Improvement needed.

Engineer (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsI love my job.Company takes care for employees.I wish all companies are like that.If you like to stay forever to work in production,then this is excellent place to work for.If you think about moving your career upward,it will not be the best place for you.

ConsI work for Varian in Salt Lake City.It is family place.That mean management will always give a job or promotion to family member.You can have better education,experience...Nothing matters.You have to be family connected to management to be first in line for promotion.I applied for different management positions and never got any.Sometimes not even an interview.I am Masters Degree holder,VA,experienced in managing people,speak German and Chinese.Sometimes I apply for position that require German or Chinese language.Somehow people that do not speak any foreign language get that position.It is sad to be production worker and have Masters Degree.I am having interviews with GE and Adobe so I hope they will recognize my talent.I come from minority.I feel my disadvantage in Varian is because I am member of minority group.I see diversity among production workers,not among management.Few people made it.Very sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementI see every day big sign that Varian is EOE.Yes,it is on that piece of paper.Please think about how to attract the best talent not just family members.

Final Test Technician

ProsBest company I will probably ever work for

ConsLots of Over Time can be a con.

Worked for Varian Medical Systems? Contribute to the Community!