Various

www.various.com

Various Reviews

Updated Feb 5, 2014
Various – US – “building”

Rob Brackett

Freelancing

Freelance Senior AD (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsMake own hours and can choose assignments

ConsCan not count on work all the time and inconsistent income

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more freelancers

Good benefits, but business is rapidly declining

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree lunch, flexible schedule, decent pay, benefits.

ConsMinimal communication. They can suddenly let you go without any cause. I suspect it is due to their recent bankruptcy. Business has been declining.

Advice to Senior ManagementCOMMUNICATION! If you feel there is something the employee can improve upon, TALK TO THEM FIRST! This really can save hiring and firing expenses.

Lot's of growth opportunity, a good place to get started.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros401k Matching, and otherwise good benefit package.

ConsIndustry is not the most glamorous, but if you don't mind working with that type of content then it's a good place to work at.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

going the wrong way

Unix Systems Administrator (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsReally nice cfenging/git setup for change management, nice building, some good people (well, assuming the remaining ones haven't quit yet, which may be a stretch).

ConsToo many good people have left too quickly. No coherence, a nice system, but no plan or theory about how to use it (for any given thing, you could do it via cfengine or editing the file in git, with no rhyme or reason as to why it was done one way vs another), and forking a single code base into 9 separate code bases, while reducing sysadmin headcount (but it would need to increase). Benefits have been really cut back as of 2012, people quit over that alone.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would seem that old media people don't know how to run a new media company.

good

Front End Developer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Prosgood place to learn and nice people

Consbad process and bad management

Get out of my way and let me do my job.

Senior Linux Administrator (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsWe push a lot of traffic. From an Operations' perspective it is a large, interesting and exciting environment with lots of room for improvement still. There are many technical challenges to work through that are engaging. Many of the people I work with are technically very bright, personally very friendly and are fun to work with. Experimentation is encouraged and can prompt change. There is a strong culture to promote from within when appropriate and seek fresh blood when needed. The Health and 401(k) options are both decently provisioned, with low co-pays on health care and up to 4% matching on 401(k) contributions.

ConsManagement, especially Senior Management, often to seem to be at odds with the staff leading to low morale. Low morale leads to high turnover. I've had to talk others out of leaving and others have had to talk me out of it too. It often feels that management does not trust its employees. The management culture tends to prefer "fast, cheap" while the grunts usually prefer "cheap, good". Communication from management is spotty and oft changing, sometimes wildly. Resource constraints aligned with unrealistic management demands leads to rampant hack-assery, with documentation often an after thought if it was a thought at all, "wrong" decisions made in the interest of speed and things generally getting 80% finished, "good enough to work" but never with any "polish". There are only 9 holidays a year and PTO is too low, with sick days sharing the PTO pool. Telecommuting on a regular basis is verboten. Stress is often high due to too few hands leading to multiple concurrent demands on many of the Operations staff, leading to insufficient focused time for major projects. The work schedule often does not include adequate time for evaluation of options, proper implementation of solutions or documentation.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with a Vision and then ask us for a plan to meet that vision. Don't try to dictate technical solutions, let the techies work the technology and management work the business. When you're still not sure what's going on keep your mouth shut. When you have some certainly openly and quickly communicate what the deal is. Encourage cross group collaboration. LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES AND TAKE ACTION BASED ON THEIR FEEDBACK.

Full of opportunities.

Motor Pool Manager/Agri Support Manager (Former Employee) Bais, Province of Iloilo (Philippines)

ProsGood personal relationship and management support.

ConsDeadline on support & equipment repairs based on season.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnhance technical capabilities of service personnel

I am a freelance Sound Supervisor in the film industry and work at various sound post production studios.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAll the various sound post production studios are different, but generally the staff are all very friendly and willing to help.

ConsBeing freelance one never becomes a complete part of the various studios, so it is sometimes possible to feel somewhat isolated.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook after your permanent staff better.

it is a nice learning place

Web Developer (Former Employee)

Prosfree lunch. nice people. flexible working hour.

Consno bonus. no stocks. no raise.

Tough

Prosit depends on your capability

Consno search for talents, or mantainance of the few they have, no organization, no respect, no professionalism, no vision, among othres downsides.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is big, has a lot of branches, and does not have a culture spread to all of them, so it will depends on have a great leader wilth a lot of power and courage to make the improvements needed, so maybe some companies of the group are good or better to work than others, depending in which country , city you are, or the friends you have inside, or a perssonal nice good boss. Its a pitty, they have a huge thing on theirs hands.

Worked for Various? Contribute to the Community!