Varney's

Varney's Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jeff Levin

Don't work here unless the only other option is food service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEmployee discount (but it didn't apply to textbooks). Many coworkers were really nice people.

ConsPay was horrible. My supervisor was horribly overworked and overstressed, they needed more staff that would actually shoulder some of their burden, but because the way that things were structured by higher ups this wasn't possible. Very resistant to change, and company is run poorly. They never hire a good graphic designer, so all advertising looks crappy, probably because they don't pay enough to get a good one. Poor company culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so resistant to change. Listen to your employees more. Pay people better wages. Your website sucks, fix it.

Minimum

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Manhattan, KS

ProsThey tend to hire great workers, so it's easy to get along well with your coworkers.

ConsThey are very short-sighted and demonstrate a clear lack of planning for future endeavors. As a part-time employee you will receive minimum wage. At this time, they will not give raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue and reward your employees. Try to plan things in the long-term and learn to communicate better.

They are not a good place to work.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Manhattan, KS

ProsIt's a job if you truly need one.
    You can meet friends there before you end up quitting.

ConsManagement treatment is poor.
    Lack of privacy.
    If you get sick, a supervisor thinks you're pregnant. When you're better the week after, she still thinks you were pregnant but you took care of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My negative experience at Varney's has prompted me to search for other employment.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Manhattan, KS

ProsOccasional free lunch for all staff. Casual dress is relaxing and fun.

ConsCommunication is negative among and about other employees. No sense of privacy in delicate matters.

Worked for Varney's? Contribute to the Community!