Varonis Systems
www.varonis.com New York, NY 150 to 499 Employees

Varonis Systems Reviews

Updated Mar 20, 2014

YAKI FAITELSON

Lazies and Unmotivated need not apply!

Pre-Sales Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Varonis Systems full-time for less than a year

ProsI chose to join this company because it has great products and vision. The founding members are extremely driven, motivated and actually cares about it's people. Recognizes talent and dedication and promotes from within. Fosters learning and persistence to improve both personally and professionally. Great management and work culture. Emphasis on work/life balance.

ConsFor a company that is "On Fire!" comes minor growing pains that management is working hard to overcome. I've only been with the company a short time so not all the skeletons may be out of the closet.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse the new found resources wisely to address both product shortcomings as well as internal growing pains. Keep up the good work!

3 years and counting at Varonis

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Varonis Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFast-paced. CLEAR market leader. Solid products that are developed quickly. Exciting and growing market. The company constantly promotes from within. Executive Management is accessible. Autonomy. No politics. Very little red tape. Above average employees. This company and the people that thrive here are all about getting things done and everything else is secondary.

ConsAs with any software company, it's difficult to find the right balance between improving existing products vs. introducing new revenue streams via new products. Very metrics-driven - which I don't mind but some do. When a company is growing at the pace of Varonis it can be challenging for some aspects of the company to keep pace with revenue. For example, new hire training is solid and thorough but it is a little ad-hoc and not as formal as some would expect.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to the strategy. It is working. A little more internal top-down communication wouldn't hurt.

Great products, somewhat soulless company...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Varonis Systems full-time

ProsThe company offers a great family of products, making it easy to 'drink the Cool-Aid', so you really believe what you're saying when pitching/selling. Most of the staff are really terrific people.

ConsThe management is all about the numbers. The CEO is somewhat tyrannical, without much personality. He is often found roaming around the office barking at people "How many calls today? How many meetings did you schedule? How many ..." There is no 'human touch' to the place, so it feels pretty soulless.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare a little more about the people, a little less about the numbers! You have great products, and they will sell even better if your staff love their jobs and feel that the company cares about them as people, not just automaton selling machines.

Nightmarish place to work if you value quality of life

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Varonis Systems full-time for less than a year

ProsNone but the product is amazing and will do well solely because it works

ConsEverything! I was hired in an emerging market for this company working with a team of inexperienced confused morons. The sad thing is I took a pay cut to join the firm solely based on the fact that I knew this product would do well. Cause to be honest it is a great product. Sadly if you love being micromanaged and having everyone backstabbing you just to get ahead then this is for you! I would never ever recommend anyone take a job with this place! I am desperately looking for a new job as we speak and am looking so forward to the day I can quit this place. I have been a sales rep for many years and have done very well for myself doing so but be careful here and please read your commission plan carefully cause what I was told and what I was given once I signed up we're two different things! It was nearly 20k less that I was initially told for a OTE! The sad part is they hire mostly Eastern Europeans and college kids who don't know what they should be getting paid so they use the same philosophy on experienced folks and expect them to be ok with that! And what's worse is they pay less yet expect more from you in regards to workload! This job will eat up every waking moment of your life and in return give you peanuts! What makes it worse is the folks that work here at least in my market have no idea how to be warm or even friendly with their coworkers so I can't even say at least I work with great people! I am looking forward to the day I sever all ties with them........ Hopefully it's soon enough I don't have to even list this horrible decision on my resume.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the matrix'ing bs and fire certain managers and reps who are completely unprofessional and have no business managing anyone.

Intense culture, lots of pressure, fast-paced, with lots of opportunity to advance

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Varonis Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you are willing to work hard, hard enough to really be in the top few percent, there are opportunities to advance. You can be promoted in 5-8 months. There is a fair bit of training, which the company is slowly improving.

The CEO is a real visionary. He's remarkably passionate and motivated and it's inspiring to work at his company.

ConsThe pressure-cooker environment isn't for everyone. It gets exhausting, particularly without any form of reward (bonus, presents to employees, trips, team-building, etc). The quotas are set very aggressively, with little consideration of what is realistic, which makes it very frustrating and difficult to assess performance.

Management has little patience for under-achievers, despite the lack of training.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees additional support, teaching them how to fish, instead of fishing for them. Also, hire people who have experience managing, instead of promoting within. And if you do promote from within, send them to training, and build an official forum for employees to give feedback to their management, and vice-a-versa.

Inside Sales

Inside Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Varonis Systems full-time for less than a year

ProsRapidly growing company with a well-positioned product. You get the confidence and support of a larger company without all the hoops to jump through. The location in Midtown is incredible.

ConsThose hoops are popping up everywhere. The growing pains make it tough for inside reps to consistently outperform their "metrics". Lots of shuffling and reshuffling of territories. Automation is being added that can make the job seem mindless. Most reps fall far short of their sales goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the inside position a career, not a call center job. Reward results not metrics and be clear about expectations.

Inside Sales Rep

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Varonis Systems full-time

ProsVaronis DatAdvantage is a solid product and an industry leader. Great work environment - upper management was always willing to go above and beyond to help the staff. The people at Varonis made going to work everyday fun.

ConsVaronis has high expectations for the inside sales team. It is a high-stress, fast paced environment. They are very metrics driven and expect you to deliver. The salary +commission for the inside reps is low.

Very fast-paced and demanding; Not for everyone

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Varonis Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsManagement will let talented people be talented. Many opportunities to take on new work and help shape the company as it grows. Hard work and dedication are rewarded. Lots of work flexibility and not a lot of micromanagement, though that depends heavily on your role.

ConsLittle tolerance for those who don't quickly understand the culture. Very fast, demanding environment and not a good fit for some people.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire talented people and keep letting them be talented. Reward success.

great company

inside sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Varonis Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsPromoting inside sales people to other sales roles, provide good training, the products are easy to explain on the phone.

ConsA demanding work place, not for everyone

Advice to Senior Managementkeep the good work

Run, don't walk from this company!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Varonis Systems full-time

ProsThey pay well and they actually have a good product. The fact that their product is as amazing as it is is what will keep them afloat.

ConsThis company has a pressure cooker culture, I was physically ill walking through the door every day. The inside sales staff has only two week of training before getting on the phones and the training is done by the marketing department! They have no real trainers with actual education experience. They call their training "drinking from a hire hose" and laugh about it.

Management has no issues with taking the newest employee on the team and throwing them to the wolves, making them the scapegoat when something goes wrong. There's no proactive responses, and all reactions fail to be well thought out. As a result, something is always going wrong and they all run around like chickens without heads.

HR is totally incompetent, nobody knows how they get paid on commissions, and nobody knows what they're doing. How half of these people got hired in the first place remains a mystery as they don't seem to have any experience in their fields. All in all, the company is a mess.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst, separate your education team from the marketing department. Second, hire real trainers with training experience and let them do their jobs. Third, expand out the training period for the inside sales reps. Fourth, create some kind of day one orientation program. And last but not least, actually care about your employees and how they're treated.

Worked for Varonis Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Varonis Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Varonis Systems CEO YAKI FAITELSON. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by Varonis Systems employees.