Varsity Tutors

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Chuck Cohn

Pros:
  • "The flexible schedule and the ability to work from home are great advantages"
    in 17 reviews
  • "I work from home on a flexible schedule with a great team of coworkers"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Working from home is amazing, but does take a lot of discipline and organization"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Long hours (everyone works at least 50 hrs/week), lower pay than desired"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

In over 1 year, I have had 3 client offers

Certified Tutor (Current Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Varsity Tutors as a contractor for less than a year

Pros-$17/hr
-easy
-good experience for those without previous tutoring experience

Cons-No training
-Work is based on where you live

Tutor

I worked at Varsity Tutors part-time for more than a year

ProsFlexibility, good pay, choose your own subjects to tutor

ConsLow / unstable hours, little direction on tutoring expectations or support. Often times clients have expectations the company guarantees them that are unexpected / not communicated.

Advice to Senior ManagementTutoring training to standardize techniques would be beneficial.

Good part time job if you're a college student

I worked at Varsity Tutors part-time for more than 3 years

ProsOne-on-one sessions, flexible schedule, good hourly pay, most of the students are wonderful and enthusiastic, management is easy to reach and usually very helpful, interview was informal an enjoyable

ConsHard to move up, not a lot of hours per week, paid once monthly, categorized as an independent contractor for tax purposes so you owe all of your taxes at the end of the year, some students are far from your house, but you can get distance pay

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't categorize tutors as independent contractors. It's a cheap way for the company to keep costs down, but it can be unnecessarily problematic for tutors at the end of the year.

Good source of referrals

I worked at Varsity Tutors as a contractor for more than a year

ProsI had ample clients to choose from; never felt like I was being ignored by management. I enjoyed my clients and the staff was very responsive to my needs.

ConsThe salary, even at the highest end of the band, is far below market. Don't be afraid to push for higher rates, especially if you have a unique field of expertise, but be aware that you really won't be getting close to what other companies are able to offer. Additionally, your paycheck only comes once a month, which can be rather annoying.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to coordinate amongst the Varsity representatives in a more clear way.

Decent Tutoring Company

Contractor (Tutor) (Current Employee)

I have been working at Varsity Tutors as a contractor

ProsThey do a pretty good job of finding you clients. $20/hour is not bad for a college student. They allow you to manage your clients yourself and are very friendly. And you basically get to write your own schedule.

ConsMost of my first potential clients were Skype clients, which I had never tutored before. Tutoring on Skype presents challenges but overall I'd say it's not bad.

Unfair portion!

I have been working at Varsity Tutors

ProsNothing good really, I only worked for them for a week

ConsThey charge students $80 an hour while paying me only $20? Plus I still have to handle my own taxes and enjoys no benefit! I suggest peal to look else where

Horrible company that takes advantage of it's 'independent contractors' that do all the work.

I worked at Varsity Tutors as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThis was a horrible experience.

ConsUnfortunately their pay and the contract they make you sign as an 'independent contractor' is extremely unfair and takes advantage of their employees. They pay their employees a small fraction of what they charge the client.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs to reconsider compensation and treatment of employees.

This company was not a bad one to work for, but there is minimal support and quite a bit of disorganization.

Recruiter (Former Employee)

I worked at Varsity Tutors part-time for more than a year

ProsTons of independence, easy work, and reasonable hourly pay if you can work out your schedule

ConsThe company goes through a lot of growing pains and can be disorganized, which often falls onto its employees. The schedule is also not as flexible as one might think, with an expected availability that is above and beyond 'full time'.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your recruiters, and consider the hours you require versus the pay you provide.

Great Company - Positive, Supportive Environment

Recruiter (Current Employee)

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time for less than a year

ProsIt is great to be able to work from home and the hours are flexible, which makes work life balance great. Everyone is friendly, supportive, and you really feel like you are making a difference. They are open to your suggestions and appreciate the feedback.

ConsThe hours for part time recruiters are inconsistent which makes it difficult to predict what you will make from month to month. You are not in control of how many hours you get from week to week. It is hard to not be able to count on income.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to have an option for part time employees to work a pre-determined number of hours per month. Some employees don't need benefits and/or aren't able to work full time, but need a job that is consistent in the amount they will make from month to month. Give two part time employees the opportunity to split the time that a full time employee would work.

Great way to further your tutoring skills, but forget about getting a decent supervisor reference.

Chicago, IL

I worked at Varsity Tutors part-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible work hours—you get to set your own schedule

Supervisors are usually very on top of things

ConsVirtually no real supervisor interaction—everything is done through email

Tons of assignments offered—very few actually available

Worked for Varsity Tutors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Varsity Tutors reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Varsity Tutors CEO Chuck Cohn. All 72 reviews posted anonymously by Varsity Tutors employees.