Varsity Tutors Reviews

Updated April 16, 2015
210 reviews filtered by
4.2
Chuck Cohn

Pros
  • The ability to work from home allows flexibility which is a huge perk (in 24 reviews)

• The flexible schedule and the ability to work from home are great advantages (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • While working from home is a big perk it isn't for everyone (in 9 reviews)

• Working the long hours is difficult for family time and making sure that I am present with them (in 7 reviews)

Sounds too good to be true, but it is true!

Current Employee - City-Wide Director
    Current Employee - City-Wide Director

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Varsity Tutors delivers on everything that they promise and more. When I first interviewed, the job sounded too good to be true: work from home; 3 day weekends; work as an educational consultants for great families; great pay; great benefits; easy to bonus. I even asked in the last round of interview "Okay what's the catch?" There are none. Varsity Tutors is an amazing company that is constantly growing and changing for the better. I really enjoy working with my colleagues. There were virtually no cliques; everyone is friendly and helpful. Management is great and truly wants you to succeed. Upper management listens and implements your feedback and encourages you to be innovative. Success is measured in more than just dollars and cents. I still cannot believe how much I love my job.

Cons

The hours are LONG. Expect to work 45 - 50 hours a week. The perk is the schedule is flexible around what you need; and you get a 3 day weekend every other weekend.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! It really makes us employees feel special and a part of something bigger when we see you and chat with you regularly.

2. Easy to work for

Current Employee - Tutor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Tutor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Varsity Tutors

Pros

-Easy to find clients, especially if you sign up for email alerts
    -the Admin/company has been super helpful and easy to work with
    -reasonable pay. You could make more per hour as a private tutor, but as far as a tutoring service goes they are competitive...and this way you don't have to advertise and find your own clients.
    -Students are generally motivated and engaged

Cons

-Pay is monthly, which can sometimes be a drawback as opposed to weekly.
    -Wouldn't recommend counting on it for more than ~10 hours a week (more right before SAT/AP dates if that is what you tutor)

Advice to Management

I would recommend considering bi-weekly pay. Website interface can be a little bit confusing at times, but otherwise no complaints at all.

3. I've loved working with all the directors and the families!

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time

Pros

They are very accommodating with different schedules and always match the families to the tutors very well. They make sure that you are happy with your assignment and if there are any problems they deal with them in a very timely manner.

Cons

Sometimes I encounter some technical glitches with the online platform, but it is something that is being worked on.

Advice to Management

I can't think of anything in particular, but overall I am very happy with the company. It is very reliable and I've had a positive experience

5. Working with them is grateful.

I have been working at Varsity Tutors (less than a year)

Pros

They are always helpful and I had a very good experience about working with them.

Cons

I don't have any cons of working with them.

6. Tutor

Current Contractor - Tutor in San Diego, CA
    Current Contractor - Tutor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Varsity Tutors as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Completely flexible hours, you can pick when you want to work, what subjects you tutor and where you want to travel to. They also have online tutoring available which might work better for some people. The pay is very good and it is good satisfying work.

Cons

I have never had any problems with them. All of their policies are fair. It is in home private tutoring, as advertised, it is not very complicated. I would only say the only notable con is that it is a job, not a career. But as a student this is exactly what I wanted, just to work a few hours here and there to earn some extra money.

Advice to Management

I honestly have no advice. This was exactly what I was looking for when I applied for this job. I appreciate the job they have done, it is very easy for me to do my job.

Best Company I Have Worked For in My Career

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time

Pros

- Get to work with some of the brightest people in the industry
    - A cultural of driving accountability and results
    - Company sticks to its core mission of improving academic achievements

Cons

- Wish I could spend more time with my colleagues socially and connect more closely, but we are located all across the US

Advice to Management

Continue to hire people that have a passion not only for sales, but also education. It makes for a happy and happy work environment

8. A workplace that shows trust and respect for the effort that I put into each and every one of my students.

Current Employee - Academic Tutor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Academic Tutor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time (less than a year)

Pros

A wonderful opportunity to work with great students in need while being able to gain valuable experience for the future. This is a great way to make extra money even if you have a full time job.

Cons

Having to come up with your own schedule can be challenging at times. Still, this is an excellent opportunity for upper management skills.

Advice to Management

Continue to trust us as employees and independent contractors of your company. We can continue to make a difference in our communities when you show your belief in us.

Tutor

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time

Pros

Great at finding clients. Friendly Staff.

Cons

Unwilling to pay for travel expenses and tolls.

Price Gouging seems to be rampant. Charge approximately 67% more than they pay tutors and do not transfer higher rates onto tutor (i.e clients pay more for higher level classes, but tutors do not get paid more)

They also advertise a pay rate that is not including all taxes and fees which come out to ca. 30% of pay

Advice to Management

Increase wages and decrease overhead. Your administrative staff who are connecting dots are making more than the Tutors who are the true workforce of your company.

10. Varsity is a great company to register with

Current Employee - Academic Tutor/SAT Tutor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Academic Tutor/SAT Tutor in New York, NY

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time (less than a year)

Pros

They're great at matching you with a variety of tutoring positions-- I've been hired by other companies that almost never found me clients, and was pleasantly surprised by how quickly and effectively Varsity matched me with students.

Cons

Travel time can be a real issue in the NYC area, and there's no way to compensate for travel. It's hard to make sessions under 2 hours feel worthwhile.

Gross underpayment of highly qualified tutors

Former Contractor - Tutor in Boston, MA
    Former Contractor - Tutor in Boston, MA

I worked at Varsity Tutors as a contractor

Pros

- Flexible hours
    - Flexible number of hours per week

Cons

- MAXIMUM starting pay is $25/h regardless of experience, which is far below market
    - They think +$2/h is a raise you should be grateful for - after 1.5 years of working for them
    - Took 2 months from first inquiry to be graced with my oh so life changing $2/h raise. At that point, I quit.

Advice to Management

Pay your tutors better, or they will LEAVE! I did!