Varsity Tutors

Updated July 24, 2014
Updated July 24, 2014

3.7

Chuck Cohn

Pros
  • The ability to work from home allows flexibility which is a huge perk (in 21 reviews)

• The flexible schedule and the ability to work from home are great advantages (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes it's tough to "turn it off" since I do work from home (in 8 reviews)

• This job requires a lot of hours each week, so be ready to work hard (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good idea for individualized supplemental education

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Higher pay, strict hiring guidelines, and a high regard for customer service and student/family attention.

Cons

They are still working through some technology quirks, but those problems are not too difficult to work around.

Tough but rewarding work-from-home at a fast-growing company.

Current Employee - Sales Director
    Current Employee - Sales Director

Pros

1) Satisfying work - VT expects a lot from its directors but doesn't burden them with needless busy work. Everything I do during the day I feel is clearly contributing to our shared success. I also generally feel good about the work I do with our clients - we've got great tutors and it's a wonderful feeling when you hear about how we've helped our students.

2) Working from home - this is a big advantage for me personally, though I've known people who didn't much like it, so it might be a con for some! I really enjoy the ability to work independently and manage my own time.

3) Community and teamwork - the culture at VT is great. Everyone works together and shares the burden when things get busy. The leadership team is very available to everyone for questions, comments, or suggestions. It's nice to know that I can send a Skype message to the VP or CEO at any time and my thoughts will be taken seriously!

Cons

1) Benefits - VT provides health insurance, but that's it. No vision, no dental, no 401k. I'm hoping that changes soon as the company is growing VERY quickly but for right now they do run a little light on benefits.

2) Hours - you're expected to work 50 hours a week minimum, and work every other weekend. A typical day is from 8-6pm, and you're occasionally expected to do a late shift, usually from 10-8pm. Since there's no commute it's not too terrible, but anyone applying to VT should be aware of what they're getting into!

In short, start thinking long-term about your employee development. The company is growing so quickly that it's obvious there will be some opportunities for advancement in the near future - start making it clear to your directors the paths that they could follow to move into leadership roles. Likewise, if folks are going to be with you for the long-haul, start considering retirement plans and expanded benefits!

Great opportunity to work from home

Pros

Company has decent pay for part-time employees. It doesn't seem so great for full time. Working from home is a nice benefit.

Cons

The company is growing rapidly and in the past,, hasn't made the best decisions. It seems there is a lot of turnover in middle management.

Leadership from the top seems lacking.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Director

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

Pros

1. Work from home
    2. Senior Management that listens, takes all requests, opinions and suggestions very seriously and responds promptly. I, as an employee, feel more valued with this company than other very large corporate companies I have worked for in the past.
    3. Wonderful colleagues and work environment
    4. Technology is constantly changing and evolving to make our jobs easier and more efficient.
    5. Fast growing company, there are often new opportunities arising

Cons

1. NO work/life balance. You are expected to work VERY long days and weekends. Definitely not ideal if you have a family or small children (unless you are a work-a-holic, then it doesn't matter!)
    2. Health benefits offered, but no dental, vision, 401k.
    3. Very minimal vacations and holidays compared to other companies. Expect to work on holidays occasionally

Continue to LISTEN to your employees concerns and be sure they are happy. If you have happy employees your business will thrive and your turnover will be low.

"Wonderful company."

Current Employee - Academic Tutor  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

The clients are often self motivated and eager to learn, so you do not feel like your efforts are ever in vain. In addition, the hours are perfect for students and people who are trying to have two jobs. The hours are manageable and suited to your needs.

Cons

Depending on where you live, it can be quite a drive to the clients' house (you are reimbursed for longer drives, however). Business can also be slow at times of the year because of school being out, so you may need to find other jobs if this is your primary source of income.

I could not be happier - so proud to be working for Varsity Tutors!

Current Employee - City-Wide Director
    Current Employee - City-Wide Director

Pros

Working at Varsity Tutors has been an incredible experience. The ability to work from home allows flexibility which is a huge perk. It is the best of both worlds as you are able to work independently while any co-worker is just a call or instant message away. There is a true sense of team here as we work hard together to do our jobs the best we can. There is nothing more rewarding than being able to help students and change lives for the better!

Cons

Some might consider working a long day a con however if you love what you do this does not matter. Those hours are spent in the comfort of your own home while helping students in their time of need - most certainly not a con!!

I cannot say enough about my immediate supervisor and upper management. They are very approachable and make it known that you can come to them with any issue, question or new idea to share. They are a huge source of support and work hard to develop their teams so we continue to grow as employees.

Decent supplemental income while in school

Current Employee - Certified Tutor  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Certified Tutor in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The directors are really nice and are great at communicating via email. The potential client email request system has recently been streamlined so that you can simply click a link to say you're interested in taking the client, you're not interested, or you need more information. The pay is okay, and the direct deposit system is nice. Hours are flexible to an extent - since most of the students are (or seem to be) high school students needing SAT and ACT prep, their school schedules generally limit you to working evenings or weekends.

Cons

No one seems to pay attention to my schedule, especially vacations, even though they request a schedule pretty regularly and I supply them with one. Tutors get maybe 35% of the overall fee, if that. I've seen tutors for the company advertised on tutoring sites for $57+ an hour, but tutors only make $18 to $20ish an hour. This is in spite of the fact that tutors perform the bulk of the work (once a client is assigned to a tutor, the tutor does all scheduling and communication; the company just collects the fee and disburses payment to the tutor).

Your tutors should be making more, and should be paid at a level commensurate with their education. Someone with a bachelor's degree should not be making as much as someone with a graduate degree without teaching or tutoring experience in excess of the more educated person. Tell your directors to actually use the scheduling information they request so frequently. Otherwise, what was the point in asking?

I have worked with some nice kids, but find the company unprofessional.

Current Employee - Tutor  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tutor in New York, NY

Pros

Tutors can pick their own hours and general locations. The pay is somewhat higher than that of most other tutoring companies. Except for logging tutoring hours and brief descriptions of the sessions, there are no real administrative duties involved.

Cons

The company seems to be run by bright but fairly clueless college students. There is no training, so customers can easily end up with smart tutors who, unfortunately, have no idea how to teach. The company doesn't offer a lot of work, and sometimes they repeatedly offer assignments outside of a tutor's stated preferences. Travel time, supplies, gas and tolls subtract a significant amount from the total compensation.

Hire some supervisors who actually know something about teaching and put together a training program--even an online one. Customer satisfaction should improve. Several of my clients complained to me that although they were happy with my work (English), they couldn't find a good math tutor through Varsity.

Tutor

Current Employee - Tutor  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Tutor in Boston, MA

Pros

Good pay for a tutor. It's a better pay than turoring in college. You choose who you want to work with. You can work at clients home or over webcam. You make your own schedule.

There are two interviews:

The first interview is over the phone. They ask you basic questions such as preference in traveling, your experience in different subjects, how much of each subject do you know, etc. They review their policy and answer any questions you may have. They say it is a 20 minute interview but it typically ranges between 10 to 20 minutes. They automatically set me up for my second interview.

The second interview is over webcam. This is when they test your knowledge on each subject. They ask you one question from each field. If you get one answer wrong, it is ok. They give you a second chance. You're free to use pencil, paper, and calculator. You can take as much time as you need.

Cons

Although the pay is great, they don't deduct taxes if you make over $600 a year. So you are responsible for paying your own taxes. Your pay is monthly so spend your money wisely.

Second interview may make you feel nervous because you get tested on each subject but just take a deep breath, feel confident, and solve the problem.

Weekly or biweekly pay would be great!

Professional interview on phone, was warm, respectful and asked very good questions.

Former Employee - Tutor  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Tutor in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Flexible schedule and potential to work with variety of students..

Cons

Not enough hours for income I need.

Worked for Varsity Tutors? Contribute to the Community!