Varsity Tutors Reviews

Updated April 17, 2015
211 reviews filtered by
4.2
Chuck Cohn

Pros
  • The ability to work from home allows flexibility which is a huge perk (in 24 reviews)

• The flexible schedule and the ability to work from home are great advantages (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • While working from home is a big perk it isn't for everyone (in 9 reviews)

• Working the long hours is difficult for family time and making sure that I am present with them (in 7 reviews)

1. Easy to work for

I have been working at Varsity Tutors

Pros

-Easy to find clients, especially if you sign up for email alerts
    -the Admin/company has been super helpful and easy to work with
    -reasonable pay. You could make more per hour as a private tutor, but as far as a tutoring service goes they are competitive...and this way you don't have to advertise and find your own clients.
    -Students are generally motivated and engaged

Cons

-Pay is monthly, which can sometimes be a drawback as opposed to weekly.
    -Wouldn't recommend counting on it for more than ~10 hours a week (more right before SAT/AP dates if that is what you tutor)

Advice to Management

I would recommend considering bi-weekly pay. Website interface can be a little bit confusing at times, but otherwise no complaints at all.

2. I've loved working with all the directors and the families!

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time

Pros

They are very accommodating with different schedules and always match the families to the tutors very well. They make sure that you are happy with your assignment and if there are any problems they deal with them in a very timely manner.

Cons

Sometimes I encounter some technical glitches with the online platform, but it is something that is being worked on.

Advice to Management

I can't think of anything in particular, but overall I am very happy with the company. It is very reliable and I've had a positive experience

3. Working with them is grateful.

I have been working at Varsity Tutors (less than a year)

Pros

They are always helpful and I had a very good experience about working with them.

Cons

I don't have any cons of working with them.

5. Tutor

Current Contractor - Tutor in San Diego, CA
    Current Contractor - Tutor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Varsity Tutors as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Completely flexible hours, you can pick when you want to work, what subjects you tutor and where you want to travel to. They also have online tutoring available which might work better for some people. The pay is very good and it is good satisfying work.

Cons

I have never had any problems with them. All of their policies are fair. It is in home private tutoring, as advertised, it is not very complicated. I would only say the only notable con is that it is a job, not a career. But as a student this is exactly what I wanted, just to work a few hours here and there to earn some extra money.

Advice to Management

I honestly have no advice. This was exactly what I was looking for when I applied for this job. I appreciate the job they have done, it is very easy for me to do my job.

Sounds too good to be true, but it is true!

Current Employee - City-Wide Director
    Current Employee - City-Wide Director

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Varsity Tutors delivers on everything that they promise and more. When I first interviewed, the job sounded too good to be true: work from home; 3 day weekends; work as an educational consultants for great families; great pay; great benefits; easy to bonus. I even asked in the last round of interview "Okay what's the catch?" There are none. Varsity Tutors is an amazing company that is constantly growing and changing for the better. I really enjoy working with my colleagues. There were virtually no cliques; everyone is friendly and helpful. Management is great and truly wants you to succeed. Upper management listens and implements your feedback and encourages you to be innovative. Success is measured in more than just dollars and cents. I still cannot believe how much I love my job.

Cons

The hours are LONG. Expect to work 45 - 50 hours a week. The perk is the schedule is flexible around what you need; and you get a 3 day weekend every other weekend.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! It really makes us employees feel special and a part of something bigger when we see you and chat with you regularly.

Best Company I Have Worked For in My Career

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time

Pros

- Get to work with some of the brightest people in the industry
    - A cultural of driving accountability and results
    - Company sticks to its core mission of improving academic achievements

Cons

- Wish I could spend more time with my colleagues socially and connect more closely, but we are located all across the US

Advice to Management

Continue to hire people that have a passion not only for sales, but also education. It makes for a happy and happy work environment

8. A workplace that shows trust and respect for the effort that I put into each and every one of my students.

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time (less than a year)

Pros

A wonderful opportunity to work with great students in need while being able to gain valuable experience for the future. This is a great way to make extra money even if you have a full time job.

Cons

Having to come up with your own schedule can be challenging at times. Still, this is an excellent opportunity for upper management skills.

Advice to Management

Continue to trust us as employees and independent contractors of your company. We can continue to make a difference in our communities when you show your belief in us.

9. Great company to work, the best people, great management.

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It was easy to go through interview process during hiring.
    I was impressed with very positive, supportive and accommodating management. I enjoyed working with my regional Director. She is always on time and on top of the issue. Despite number of tutors to report it always feels like she is personally attentive to my schedule and set of skills.
    Compensation is fair and often you will get bonus for longer commute.

Cons

For me it was hard to respond fast enough to tutor request in order to get a client. Since there are number of tutors suitable for a job, sometimes if you are not confirming your interest in the first few minutes, you cannot it.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have tax deductions from your pay check even for part time positions. Could it be done starting from certain limit of monthly earnings?

10. Wonderful, rewarding experience with consummate professionals

Current Employee - Math Physics and SAT Tutor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Math Physics and SAT Tutor in New York, NY

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Will give you as many students as you ask for, straightforward process to qualify to teach a particular subject, robust and powerful online tutoring platform with video chat, responsive directors of education willing to give advice and take suggestions, continuously provision of feedback to help improve tutoring skill-set and strategy for individual students, most compassionate employers I've ever had as I first struggled with severe back pain and then recovered from spinal surgery, and very supportive of me when I made decision to no longer work with only verbally disrespectful and abusive adult student I ever had while working for them

Cons

Slight delay in response to tutor questions or comments (usually due to spending great deal of signing new customers and responding to parents), never really meet with directors of education ( I was hired after an online interview experience)

Advice to Management

I know that the company's employees are pretty spread out in the metropolitan area we're based out of but it might boost employee morale a bit to have some kind of social mixer so that we can meet our colleagues and bosses in person.

11. Varsity Tutors provides a fantastic opportunity to earn what you want when you want while providing a great service!

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Of all the tutoring companies I've worked for, Varsity Tutors has been the most flexible, while also most steadily lucrative.

Cons

Varsity Tutors pays a flat online tutoring rate ($15/hr) regardless of whether you tutor online or in person, though bonuses can be earned for considerable distance traveled for in-person tutoring.

Advice to Management

I would incorporate the pay structure of TakeLessons.com, which allows tutors to set their own rates by subject and incentivizes good and frequent tutoring with increased earnings.

Varsity Tutors Photos