www.varsitytutors.com

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014
3.7

Chuck Cohn

Pros
  • The ability to work from home allows flexibility which is a huge perk (in 24 reviews)

• The flexible schedule and the ability to work from home are great advantages (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • While working from home is a big perk it isn't for everyone (in 9 reviews)

• Working the long hours is difficult for family time and making sure that I am present with them (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

City Wide Director

Current Employee - City Wide Director
    Current Employee - City Wide Director

I have been working at Varsity Tutors

Pros

Great teamwork, everyone at Varsity Tutors has a sense of helping each other out and dedicated to the overall goal of happy clients and tutors. Positive, Supportive work environment, and working from the comfort of your home is great!

Cons

Hard to balance work/life as you work a lot of hours.

Fun, Fast-Growing Company To Work For!

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Varsity Tutors is a great place to work! Fun, fast-paced, innovative, and very satisfying in knowing that you are helping students all across the country. It's also a place where your ideas and feedback are heard and implemented for the good of the entire company. Not only are you able to grow and develop in your career, but also in your knowledge of building a first class, industry leading company. The people here are great too, and very fun to work with. It's been a great 4 years so far!

Cons

The work can be hard at times and there are definitely growing pains, but all of that can be easily overcome with hard work, perseverance, and the support that exists from team members and supervisors. You also have to be able to embrace change and understand that you will be pushed out of your comfort zone, but the rewards are well-worth it!

Keep up the great work and always be open to feedback and suggestions from anyone in the company.

City-wide Director is a great opportunity!

Current Employee - City Wide Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - City Wide Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employees truly care about each other's well-being.
    Working from home is fantastic!
    Regional directors want you to succeed! They are very helpful on a daily basis!
    Technology is great!
    Great benefits!

Cons

Sometimes the workday is very long.
    Working with the general public is not always fun.

Find a better weekly schedule so more time can be spent outside of working.

Working with Positive and Supportive Co-Workers at an Innovative Customer Focused Company

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As others have posted it is awesome to be working from home and having a 5 second commute to work. However, beyond just the work from home opportunity Varsity Tutors is a company that cares what its employees think and works to include their suggestions into technology and policy changes. You also won't find a more caring and supportive group of colleagues who will stop what they are doing to answer questions and offer feedback whenever they can. Finally, you are working in the educational field so in terms of personal reward/satisfaction Varsity Tutors offers that as you know at the end of the day you are doing something that will help a student succeed.

Cons

While working from home is a big perk it isn't for everyone. You have to be able to create a work/life balance since work is only a few steps away. It can also mean you are a little isolated from your other coworkers. You can chat on Skype etc. but if you are a person who needs that "office setting" with constant contact with coworkers and management you don't get that here. I believe the benefits of working from home outnumber the issues but again might not be for everyone.

Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This job is awesome. I loved working for Kimble Cohn. He is an awesome supervisor. Kimble listened to my job related worries and worked with my strengths which enabled me to be both beneficial and productive with my clients. I enjoy being able to work from home and Skype clients as well as constructing problem sets. This is a progressive company that is changing students' lives and helping young academics (like myself) to support themselves in the process.

Cons

The job is very accommodating to those in academic fields and allow one to choose the amount of work that they can handle. The only con of the job would be if one chooses more work than they can handle given their schedule.

Keep up the good work!

Fantastic Work from Home Opportunity

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Varsity creates a great work environment even though you are not in an office. There is a very positive culture and everyone makes you feel welcomed and appreciated. When I came in they did not have many benefits to speak of but they just currently added healthcare and vision (vision is no cost to you!). The compensation is more than fair...it is a 50 hour work week but you do not have to commute anywhere so that makes up for it. You also have the ability to earn commission on top of your salary which is a nice perk. They are very flexible with the schedule so if you need a day here or there you can switch the day you work which is great because I have a child at home so the flexibility for the unexpected is great. They also have a great tech allowance so you can have a great computer and all the necessary accessories.

Cons

The only real challenge I can think of is the work week is long, but it goes by quick.

I hope that they continue to grow and evolve like they are. They are constantly figuring out how to improve and it is great to be a part of a company that takes feedback well and tries to implement your ideas.

Fabulous Work Culture

Current Employee - Associate Director of Recruitment in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Director of Recruitment in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm a FT employee, not a tutor. The atmosphere feels almost "google-ish." It's fresh, innovative and constantly growing and changing. Everybody has a voice and upper mgmt has a 100% open door policy. You have easy direct Skype or email access to everyone from the President and Founder on down. Mgmt takes you seriously. They are just as apt to implement an idea of yours as they are one from top mgmt. We all work from home, but there is still a feeling of camaraderie that is better than what I have felt in most brick and mortar places I've worked. We all love what we do and everyone I know WANTS to be here. The warmth and friendliness is amazing. Everybody takes pride in the company and wants to see it succeed.

Cons

It's not a con, because they are very clear up front about the hours, but be prepared to work some serious hours. 11 days on (9 hours a day or 10 if you take an hour for lunch) and 3 days off. Having two 3 days weekends every month is great, and completely makes up for the 11 days straight schedule. Again, you are not hoodwinked into long hours. I was told in the interview what the hours would be.

Dental and Vision were just added, so it's not advice to mgmt., just a hats off. Profit sharing and 401K would be nice things to have in the future. Also, maybe some face to face regional meetings once a year to augment the annual summit. Seeing co-workers face to face would be nice, and it could be done fairly inexpensively. Perhaps eventually some quarterly regional meetings.They could be semi-formal, without expansive agendas, just an opportunity to get together with co-workers in your region. There could be host cities and employees from that city could arrange one social event to go along with the rest of the working weekend.

Amazing company. Been working for them for the past 3 years.

Current Employee - Certified Tutor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Certified Tutor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a tutor, lots of flexibility. Very understanding administration and very receptive.

Cons

Monthly pay is a little bit of a hassle. bimonthly or weekly pay would be nice.

"Wonderful company."

Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The clients are often self motivated and eager to learn, so you do not feel like your efforts are ever in vain. In addition, the hours are perfect for students and people who are trying to have two jobs. The hours are manageable and suited to your needs.

Cons

Depending on where you live, it can be quite a drive to the clients' house (you are reimbursed for longer drives, however). Business can also be slow at times of the year because of school being out, so you may need to find other jobs if this is your primary source of income.

Tough but rewarding work-from-home at a fast-growing company.

Current Employee - Sales Director
    Current Employee - Sales Director

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1) Satisfying work - VT expects a lot from its directors but doesn't burden them with needless busy work. Everything I do during the day I feel is clearly contributing to our shared success. I also generally feel good about the work I do with our clients - we've got great tutors and it's a wonderful feeling when you hear about how we've helped our students.

2) Working from home - this is a big advantage for me personally, though I've known people who didn't much like it, so it might be a con for some! I really enjoy the ability to work independently and manage my own time.

3) Community and teamwork - the culture at VT is great. Everyone works together and shares the burden when things get busy. The leadership team is very available to everyone for questions, comments, or suggestions. It's nice to know that I can send a Skype message to the VP or CEO at any time and my thoughts will be taken seriously!

Cons

1) Benefits - VT provides health insurance, but that's it. No vision, no dental, no 401k. I'm hoping that changes soon as the company is growing VERY quickly but for right now they do run a little light on benefits.

2) Hours - you're expected to work 50 hours a week minimum, and work every other weekend. A typical day is from 8-6pm, and you're occasionally expected to do a late shift, usually from 10-8pm. Since there's no commute it's not too terrible, but anyone applying to VT should be aware of what they're getting into!

In short, start thinking long-term about your employee development. The company is growing so quickly that it's obvious there will be some opportunities for advancement in the near future - start making it clear to your directors the paths that they could follow to move into leadership roles. Likewise, if folks are going to be with you for the long-haul, start considering retirement plans and expanded benefits!