Varsity Tutors

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014
3.8

Chuck Cohn

Pros
  • The ability to work from home allows flexibility which is a huge perk (in 21 reviews)

• The flexible schedule and the ability to work from home are great advantages (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes it's tough to "turn it off" since I do work from home (in 8 reviews)

• This job requires a lot of hours each week, so be ready to work hard (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Fabulous Work Culture

Current Employee - Associate Director of Recruitment  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Director of Recruitment in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time for less than a year

Pros

I'm a FT employee, not a tutor. The atmosphere feels almost "google-ish." It's fresh, innovative and constantly growing and changing. Everybody has a voice and upper mgmt has a 100% open door policy. You have easy direct Skype or email access to everyone from the President and Founder on down. Mgmt takes you seriously. They are just as apt to implement an idea of yours as they are one from top mgmt. We all work from home, but there is still a feeling of camaraderie that is better than what I have felt in most brick and mortar places I've worked. We all love what we do and everyone I know WANTS to be here. The warmth and friendliness is amazing. Everybody takes pride in the company and wants to see it succeed.

Cons

It's not a con, because they are very clear up front about the hours, but be prepared to work some serious hours. 11 days on (9 hours a day or 10 if you take an hour for lunch) and 3 days off. Having two 3 days weekends every month is great, and completely makes up for the 11 days straight schedule. Again, you are not hoodwinked into long hours. I was told in the interview what the hours would be.

Dental and Vision were just added, so it's not advice to mgmt., just a hats off. Profit sharing and 401K would be nice things to have in the future. Also, maybe some face to face regional meetings once a year to augment the annual summit. Seeing co-workers face to face would be nice, and it could be done fairly inexpensively. Perhaps eventually some quarterly regional meetings.They could be semi-formal, without expansive agendas, just an opportunity to get together with co-workers in your region. There could be host cities and employees from that city could arrange one social event to go along with the rest of the working weekend.

Amazing company. Been working for them for the past 3 years.

Current Employee - Certified Tutor  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Certified Tutor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As a tutor, lots of flexibility. Very understanding administration and very receptive.

Cons

Monthly pay is a little bit of a hassle. bimonthly or weekly pay would be nice.

"Wonderful company."

Current Employee - Academic Tutor  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time for less than a year

Pros

The clients are often self motivated and eager to learn, so you do not feel like your efforts are ever in vain. In addition, the hours are perfect for students and people who are trying to have two jobs. The hours are manageable and suited to your needs.

Cons

Depending on where you live, it can be quite a drive to the clients' house (you are reimbursed for longer drives, however). Business can also be slow at times of the year because of school being out, so you may need to find other jobs if this is your primary source of income.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tough but rewarding work-from-home at a fast-growing company.

Current Employee - Sales Director
    Current Employee - Sales Director

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time for less than a year

Pros

1) Satisfying work - VT expects a lot from its directors but doesn't burden them with needless busy work. Everything I do during the day I feel is clearly contributing to our shared success. I also generally feel good about the work I do with our clients - we've got great tutors and it's a wonderful feeling when you hear about how we've helped our students.

2) Working from home - this is a big advantage for me personally, though I've known people who didn't much like it, so it might be a con for some! I really enjoy the ability to work independently and manage my own time.

3) Community and teamwork - the culture at VT is great. Everyone works together and shares the burden when things get busy. The leadership team is very available to everyone for questions, comments, or suggestions. It's nice to know that I can send a Skype message to the VP or CEO at any time and my thoughts will be taken seriously!

Cons

1) Benefits - VT provides health insurance, but that's it. No vision, no dental, no 401k. I'm hoping that changes soon as the company is growing VERY quickly but for right now they do run a little light on benefits.

2) Hours - you're expected to work 50 hours a week minimum, and work every other weekend. A typical day is from 8-6pm, and you're occasionally expected to do a late shift, usually from 10-8pm. Since there's no commute it's not too terrible, but anyone applying to VT should be aware of what they're getting into!

In short, start thinking long-term about your employee development. The company is growing so quickly that it's obvious there will be some opportunities for advancement in the near future - start making it clear to your directors the paths that they could follow to move into leadership roles. Likewise, if folks are going to be with you for the long-haul, start considering retirement plans and expanded benefits!

I could not be happier - so proud to be working for Varsity Tutors!

Current Employee - City-Wide Director
    Current Employee - City-Wide Director

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working at Varsity Tutors has been an incredible experience. The ability to work from home allows flexibility which is a huge perk. It is the best of both worlds as you are able to work independently while any co-worker is just a call or instant message away. There is a true sense of team here as we work hard together to do our jobs the best we can. There is nothing more rewarding than being able to help students and change lives for the better!

Cons

Some might consider working a long day a con however if you love what you do this does not matter. Those hours are spent in the comfort of your own home while helping students in their time of need - most certainly not a con!!

I cannot say enough about my immediate supervisor and upper management. They are very approachable and make it known that you can come to them with any issue, question or new idea to share. They are a huge source of support and work hard to develop their teams so we continue to grow as employees.

Tutor

Current Employee - Tutor  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Tutor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Varsity Tutors as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good pay for a tutor. It's a better pay than turoring in college. You choose who you want to work with. You can work at clients home or over webcam. You make your own schedule.

There are two interviews:

The first interview is over the phone. They ask you basic questions such as preference in traveling, your experience in different subjects, how much of each subject do you know, etc. They review their policy and answer any questions you may have. They say it is a 20 minute interview but it typically ranges between 10 to 20 minutes. They automatically set me up for my second interview.

The second interview is over webcam. This is when they test your knowledge on each subject. They ask you one question from each field. If you get one answer wrong, it is ok. They give you a second chance. You're free to use pencil, paper, and calculator. You can take as much time as you need.

Cons

Although the pay is great, they don't deduct taxes if you make over $600 a year. So you are responsible for paying your own taxes. Your pay is monthly so spend your money wisely.

Second interview may make you feel nervous because you get tested on each subject but just take a deep breath, feel confident, and solve the problem.

Weekly or biweekly pay would be great!

This is an excellent company with good support, and it allows me to do what I love!

Current Employee - Tutor  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Tutor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Varsity Tutors as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

I love the flexibility. The students are great, and the management does a good job of getting back to me and helping me out when I have a question or a problem.

Cons

I sometimes cannot get as many hours as I need.

Keep up the good work!

Amazing Company!

Current Employee - Tutor  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Tutor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Varsity Tutors as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule, friendly directors, great clients

Cons

No cons, I work as a contractor with them which is perfect.

None

Positive Work Environment, Support from Management, Growing Company

Current Employee - Director  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time

Pros

Management who listens and responds, friendly co-workers, fast-paced and challenging environment, tasks are enjoyable, technology bonus provided for new computers

Cons

Some evening and weekend work is required and I put in very long hours, but since I enjoy my job and believe in the company, I don't mind the extra time.

Thank you for listening and having an "open-door' policy in regards to suggestions and improvements for our jobs.

Amazing company to work for!

Current Employee - City Wide Director  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - City Wide Director in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time for less than a year

Pros

I cannot say enough good things about this company! Working from home is amazing, as is having a whole company at your fingertips via Skype! I genuinely enjoy what I do and the people that I work with.

Cons

It is really hard to come up with any! Allowing yourself to disconnect from work is the biggest challenge.

Keep up the great work!

Worked for Varsity Tutors? Contribute to the Community!