Varsity Tutors Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.2
Chuck Cohn

Pros
  • The ability to work from home allows flexibility which is a huge perk (in 24 reviews)

• Flexible schedule and potential to work with variety of students (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • While working from home is a big perk it isn't for everyone (in 9 reviews)

• Long hours (everyone works at least 50 hrs/week), lower pay than desired (in 7 reviews)

1. Excellent

Pros

Varsity Tutors is an amazing company to work for. It was a wonderful team of people who truly help each other every step of the way!

Cons

I can't think of any.

Advice to Management

Great job!

Varsity Tutors Recruiter Position

Former Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Varsity Tutors part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked for VT for about a year and loved it. The recruiter position was extremely flexible, and I was able to make my own hours, as well as work from home. The directors were wonderful to work with and were interested in me not only as an employee and what I could do for them, but in me as a person. I loved getting to meet all kinds of people and be in the education industry, but not in a classroom.

Cons

The only disadvantage to the job was that the hours weren't consistent from week to week.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! I love the move towards more communication between recruiters and management. I loved working with the Chicago staff and was so sad to leave.

3. Varsity Tutors is a wonderful company to work for- great team, supportive management, flexible schedule.

Pros

Varsity Tutors is truly a team environment. The directors are supportive, new ideas are considered and implemented, and you have the ability to impact students and families positively. The flexible schedule and the ability to work from home are great advantages. This company cares about its employees and the overall environment is positive and constructive.

Cons

When working from home, it can be difficult to step away from work. The advantages and benefits to working for VT far outweigh any cons.

Advice to Management

Continue to expand into new cities and bring the VT experience and tutors to all cities!

Incredible, Supportive, Growing Company!

Current Employee - Director of City-Wide Tutoring in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Director of City-Wide Tutoring in Houston, TX

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the first company I have worked for where I have truly felt part of a team. I love working each day. My co-workers are a fun, supportive group of people that have the common goal of providing high quality tutoring services to our clients. There is not a day that goes by that I don't feel incredibly lucky to be a part of the Varsity Tutors Team.

Cons

Working from home is amazing, but does take a lot of discipline and organization. You have to get used to not having constant interaction with co-workers (although we use Skype on a consistent basis to talk with each other). It's also important to know that this is an actual job, it's not something that can be done on your schedule. We do have set hours even though we work from home. While I don't see these as "cons" I do think it is important for applicants to be aware of the differences between this job and typical "office" jobs.

The best company I have ever worked for!

Current Employee - City-Wide Director of Tutoring
    Current Employee - City-Wide Director of Tutoring

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Varsity tutors cares about its employees, and takes the time every day to make you feel appreciated. From the interview process (your second interview is with the CEO of the company), to the day-to-day interactions with my boss and coworkers, to the bonuses available every month, Varsity Tutors makes it a point to be sure that you, as an employee and a person, feel valued. The company is growing and expanding every month which offers us all the opportunity to grow and expand our own abilities. I work hard at my job everyday, but I enjoy every minute of it. Being able to help families find the tutoring they need, and to make it available to them either in home, or in a library, or coffee shop is fantastic. Varsity Tutors take a lot of pride in the type of tutors they hire, and only selects the best of the best which gives us a fantastic product to offer our clients. Hearing from our clients about how amazing their tutors are, and how their children are now succeeding never gets old. Varsity tutors offer a unique, and high quality tutoring option at a reasonable price. I am proud to work for Varsity Tutors, and feel lucky everyday that I have the job that I do.

Cons

So far I can't come up with any! This job is so great that I keep waiting for someone to [inch me and tell me I was dreaming.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! We all appreciate it!

7. Varsity Tutors is a great company!

Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Supportive management that is open to employee feedback. - Team working environment that allows directors to specialize according to individual strengths. - Ability to combine educational expertise with consultative sales process. - Comfort of working from home.

Cons

I have been so happy in my time with this company that I have no cons to list.

Flexible hours, good compensation -- great job while in college!

Current Employee - Tutor in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Tutor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Varsity Tutors is a great place to work for while in college. You work directly with the clients as far as scheduling goes, which makes it easy to schedule around your courses and other activities. Varsity Tutors pays a lot better than any on-campus tutoring jobs you will find and even compensates you if your client doesn't show up for a session.

Cons

You work as an independent contractor, so Varsity Tutors is not required to pay an employer's contribution to the Social Security tax, so you are on the hook for that, making your taxes a little higher than normal.

9. Great Company to Work For

Current Employee - Private Tutor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Private Tutor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Varsity gives the tutors all the information about the student before hand and really helps you along the process of finding students in your area to tutor. They are also very fast with responses via email and other methods (i have never had to wait more that 24 hrs for a reply).

Cons

I do not honestly have an complaints, this is a part time job for me and I have really enjoyed my experience with them and the students that I tutor.

Happiest I've Ever Been!

Current Employee - City-Wide Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - City-Wide Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love every aspect of my job! I get to work from home, my hours are relatively flexible, and my co-workers are wonderful and supportive. I worked as a teacher in supplemental education for many years, and I was simply burnt out from working one on one with kids. Varsity Tutors allows me to continue to help kids reach their academic goals without the exhaustion and regimented schedule of actually teaching. As a City-Wide Director I help match students with the perfect tutor who will help them succeed. The company is extremely well organized and constantly improving and growing. My team is made up of some of the most supportive and incredible people! I feel appreciated, trusted and supported in my job. I'm excited to start working every morning!

Cons

Sometimes it's tough to "turn it off" since I do work from home. However, I feel that this aspect has made me better at time management and personal goal-setting.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

Great part-time job for students

Current Employee - Academic Tutor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Academic Tutor in New York, NY

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible hours, great supervisors, easy to use online system, never had any conflicts with the company

Cons

will most likely need a car, could spend alot of time traveling depending how far your client lives from you

Advice to Management

keep up the great work of organization between tutors and clients. Please be a little more accurate with subjects that need tutoring when assigning clients to the tutors

RSS Feed </> Embed