Varsity Tutors

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Chuck Cohn

Pros:
  • "The ability to work from home allows flexibility which is a huge perk"
    in 19 reviews
  • "I work from home on a flexible schedule with a great team of coworkers"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Sometimes it's tough to "turn it off" since I do work from home"
    in 8 reviews
  • "This job requires a lot of hours each week, so be ready to work hard"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

"Wonderful company."

Academic Tutor (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe clients are often self motivated and eager to learn, so you do not feel like your efforts are ever in vain. In addition, the hours are perfect for students and people who are trying to have two jobs. The hours are manageable and suited to your needs.

ConsDepending on where you live, it can be quite a drive to the clients' house (you are reimbursed for longer drives, however). Business can also be slow at times of the year because of school being out, so you may need to find other jobs if this is your primary source of income.

Tough but rewarding work-from-home at a fast-growing company.

Sales Director (Current Employee)

Pros1) Satisfying work - VT expects a lot from its directors but doesn't burden them with needless busy work. Everything I do during the day I feel is clearly contributing to our shared success. I also generally feel good about the work I do with our clients - we've got great tutors and it's a wonderful feeling when you hear about how we've helped our students.

2) Working from home - this is a big advantage for me personally, though I've known people who didn't much like it, so it might be a con for some! I really enjoy the ability to work independently and manage my own time.

3) Community and teamwork - the culture at VT is great. Everyone works together and shares the burden when things get busy. The leadership team is very available to everyone for questions, comments, or suggestions. It's nice to know that I can send a Skype message to the VP or CEO at any time and my thoughts will be taken seriously!

Cons1) Benefits - VT provides health insurance, but that's it. No vision, no dental, no 401k. I'm hoping that changes soon as the company is growing VERY quickly but for right now they do run a little light on benefits.

2) Hours - you're expected to work 50 hours a week minimum, and work every other weekend. A typical day is from 8-6pm, and you're occasionally expected to do a late shift, usually from 10-8pm. Since there's no commute it's not too terrible, but anyone applying to VT should be aware of what they're getting into!

Advice to Senior ManagementIn short, start thinking long-term about your employee development. The company is growing so quickly that it's obvious there will be some opportunities for advancement in the near future - start making it clear to your directors the paths that they could follow to move into leadership roles. Likewise, if folks are going to be with you for the long-haul, start considering retirement plans and expanded benefits!

I could not be happier - so proud to be working for Varsity Tutors!

City-Wide Director (Current Employee)

ProsWorking at Varsity Tutors has been an incredible experience. The ability to work from home allows flexibility which is a huge perk. It is the best of both worlds as you are able to work independently while any co-worker is just a call or instant message away. There is a true sense of team here as we work hard together to do our jobs the best we can. There is nothing more rewarding than being able to help students and change lives for the better!

ConsSome might consider working a long day a con however if you love what you do this does not matter. Those hours are spent in the comfort of your own home while helping students in their time of need - most certainly not a con!!

Advice to Senior ManagementI cannot say enough about my immediate supervisor and upper management. They are very approachable and make it known that you can come to them with any issue, question or new idea to share. They are a huge source of support and work hard to develop their teams so we continue to grow as employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tutor

Boston, MA

ProsGood pay for a tutor. It's a better pay than turoring in college. You choose who you want to work with. You can work at clients home or over webcam. You make your own schedule.

There are two interviews:

The first interview is over the phone. They ask you basic questions such as preference in traveling, your experience in different subjects, how much of each subject do you know, etc. They review their policy and answer any questions you may have. They say it is a 20 minute interview but it typically ranges between 10 to 20 minutes. They automatically set me up for my second interview.

The second interview is over webcam. This is when they test your knowledge on each subject. They ask you one question from each field. If you get one answer wrong, it is ok. They give you a second chance. You're free to use pencil, paper, and calculator. You can take as much time as you need.

ConsAlthough the pay is great, they don't deduct taxes if you make over $600 a year. So you are responsible for paying your own taxes. Your pay is monthly so spend your money wisely.

Second interview may make you feel nervous because you get tested on each subject but just take a deep breath, feel confident, and solve the problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementWeekly or biweekly pay would be great!

This is an excellent company with good support, and it allows me to do what I love!

Dallas, TX

ProsI love the flexibility. The students are great, and the management does a good job of getting back to me and helping me out when I have a question or a problem.

ConsI sometimes cannot get as many hours as I need.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Amazing Company!

Phoenix, AZ

ProsFlexible schedule, friendly directors, great clients

ConsNo cons, I work as a contractor with them which is perfect.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Positive Work Environment, Support from Management, Growing Company

Director (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsManagement who listens and responds, friendly co-workers, fast-paced and challenging environment, tasks are enjoyable, technology bonus provided for new computers

ConsSome evening and weekend work is required and I put in very long hours, but since I enjoy my job and believe in the company, I don't mind the extra time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for listening and having an "open-door' policy in regards to suggestions and improvements for our jobs.

Amazing company to work for!

City Wide Director (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsI cannot say enough good things about this company! Working from home is amazing, as is having a whole company at your fingertips via Skype! I genuinely enjoy what I do and the people that I work with.

ConsIt is really hard to come up with any! Allowing yourself to disconnect from work is the biggest challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Smart company filled with talented, close-knit people

Associate Director (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsVarsity Tutors is a small company. The leadership is very focused. Managers are competent, helpful, and positive. Employees are given the option to work from home. Co-workers are friendly and always helpful. The size of the company creates opportunities to make a difference, and the quality of the management ensures that you will be recognized for the differences you make.

ConsIt is hard work. But everyone works hard, and the work feels important so it isn't really a bad thing.

Great Company to Work For!

Associate Director (Current Employee)

ProsI love being able to work from home! There is great flexibility and I enjoy the interactions that I have with people! The other employees that I have had the pleasure of working with and meeting have all been friendly and professional. I really love this job!

ConsI really do not have anything bad to say, but it can be hard to "disconnect" sometimes.

Worked for Varsity Tutors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Varsity Tutors reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Varsity Tutors CEO Chuck Cohn. All 83 reviews posted anonymously by Varsity Tutors employees.