Varsity Tutors

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015
3.8

Chuck Cohn

Pros
  • The ability to work from home allows flexibility which is a huge perk (in 24 reviews)

• The flexible schedule and the ability to work from home are great advantages (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • While working from home is a big perk it isn't for everyone (in 9 reviews)

• Working the long hours is difficult for family time and making sure that I am present with them (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Varsity Tutors makes tutoring easy and convenient

I have been working at Varsity Tutors

Pros

The online tutor portal makes tutoring easy and accessible from anywhere. Not only can you tutor from home but varsity tutors does a great job of finding you students.

Cons

The pay could be better.

When assigning test prep student figure out when they are taking the test so you don't send emails to the tutors asking why they have not met with students.

Well-run; friendly, supportive, and communicative staff, good teaching resources for tutors, all-in-all great company.

Current Employee - Certified Tutor in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Certified Tutor in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Varsity Tutors as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Varsity Tutors appears very well-staffed, organized, and logically run. They track down all clients for you, you just wait for the emails naming prospective clients. You have the option to deny, accept, or learn more about any clients sent your way. Aside from that, you have a lot of freedom as a tutor. You do have to check in with Varsity Tutors from time to time, mostly through brief write-ups you are supposed to write after each tutoring session. Varsity Tutors also will touch base with you if they have not heard from you about a certain client in a while, which I really appreciated. I like that they notice such things. The other big pro is that they have a ton of online resources- hundreds of practice problems for every subject they offer tutoring in. This is extremely helpful to me as a tutor, especially when I want to give my students a break from doing passages or problems right out of their books. The opportunity to tutor online is also appealing.

Cons

The flow of clients isn't super consistent- some times I will get several e-mails in a day, then none for several more days. Occasionally I've felt that I didn't receive as much information as I would have liked about a client, but I do have the option to ask questions before I take them on. I indicated early on that I prefer to tutor grade-school age students, but am sent mostly high-schoolers. This could be due simply to the demand in the area I live in. Occasionally I am sent opportunities for students who live very far away, further than I indicated I would be willing to travel, and I have to decline the offer. Tutors can create problems for the online word bank themselves, which is great to make extra money, but I've found that not all these problems are well written, and I've caught at least one mistake (though granted, there are thousands of problems).

It's a great decision to work for Varsity Tutors.....

I have been working at Varsity Tutors

Pros

Working for varsity tutors only brings positives: you can set your own hours and work with a wide variety of students- of all ages- with a wide variety of subjects. The full-time employees are very easily accessible and will provide feedback very quickly. Varsity Tutors puts individuals who desire to work with students in the tutoring session in an excellent position to do so; with this being the case, I would recommend any of my friends to work here.

Cons

A pro, that can turn into the cons, is the number of opportunities available! There are so many of them, so it's easy to over commit: nonetheless, managing your own schedule is a good lesson to learn.

none

Excellent company to work for!

I have been working at Varsity Tutors

Pros

1. I am an independent contractor...I control the work load.
    2. They are there to answer questions and help with struggles.
    3. Excellent mediators when there are struggles.
    4. Wide variety of subjects to choose from...

Cons

As an independent contractor, you have no eligibility for benefits.

Working with Varsity Tutors has been awesome!

I have been working at Varsity Tutors

Pros

The best reasons to work here are that the people who run Varsity have excellent communication skills, they're kind, and they're very understanding when it comes to schedule changes and restricting how far a distance you drive to.

Cons

None as far as I've seen.

No advice. Varsity knows what they're doing!

Great Company

I have been working at Varsity Tutors as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

can set your own schedule, flexible, good pay

Cons

sometimes not a lot of clients

could fix some technology issues with the accepting clients system

Fun, Laid back, Flexible

Current Employee - Private Tutor
    Current Employee - Private Tutor

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You pick your own students, schedule, and subjects to teach. You get a super friendly director who helps you out every step of the way! Plus, if students cancel at the last minute, YOU STILL GET PAID ANYWAY! You get a nice mediator who looks out for you. I would totally recommend this job to anyone who loves teaching and helping students improve their academics. Plus, you get the respect and recognition you deserve for your professional knowledge. As a college student who just graduated, this was the first company who hired me, so I'm super thankful that I got this opportunity when the job market right now is still terrible. I love this job and I love watching kids improve. Joining Varsity Tutors was totally worth it!

Cons

This is a part-time gig, not a full-time thing. Most students (K-12) get out of school and are only available at 4 PM or after to do a tutor session.

If you could offer some full-time positions with benefits for some of the more impressive tutors, this could potentially enhance your image as a professional institution and really sell the point that you're making a difference for your clients. For example, say there's a tutor who has consistently raised the scores of his or her students significantly. Offer that tutor a full-time position with better pay and with a more demanding contract (Naturally!). Push that tutor to give great results. You can then take the scores increases of the students to really sell the point that you have professional tutors clearly making a positive impact. Ex: Bob Jones has been a proud tutor at our company for 10 years, maintaining a strong median score increase for his ACT students at around 5 points. He did it for his hundreds of students, he can do it for your student too! This is how you can remain a powerful tutoring company that can smoke out the competition.

I have enjoyed working with the students because they are very cooperative.

Current Employee - French Tutor in Saint Charles, MO
    Current Employee - French Tutor in Saint Charles, MO

I have been working at Varsity Tutors

Pros

Students are very willing to work with me to find the best time to meet as well as a place to tutor.

Cons

Occasionally, students need to change the time to meet or struggle with the length of time.

Perhaps the wages could go up the longer you tutor for the company.

Convenient tutoring service

Current Employee - Certified Tutor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Certified Tutor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Varsity Tutors as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

It is a nice company to work with. The people I have dealt with are prompt with communication, and friendly. They allow you the option to not take students if you so choose. Paid by direct deposit and they have online tools to keep track of your tutoring hours and expected wages. You don't have to ever go in to a 'main office' for anything, all is by email or phone.

Cons

If you are signed on as a tutor, don't expect to get many students or hours. It won't be a significant addition to your income, just good for some extra cash here and there.

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of students, especially if you're willing to be flexible; they expect their tutors to already know what they're doing, which means they leave you alone and let you do it, which is nice; raises are available.

Cons

Not the highest salary for tutoring work (though not the lowest); the organizational structure leaves something to be desired. Multiple directors all respond to the same email account but don't seem to communicate, so I don't feel any personal connection to the higher-ups and I end up repeating myself frequently.
    Also, the independent-contractor model is a pain come tax time.

Reorganize the director structure. Assign individual directors smaller geographic or subject areas, or just increase communication.