Varsity Tutors

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014
3.8

Chuck Cohn

Pros
  • The ability to work from home allows flexibility which is a huge perk (in 21 reviews)

• The flexible schedule and the ability to work from home are great advantages (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes it's tough to "turn it off" since I do work from home (in 8 reviews)

• This job requires a lot of hours each week, so be ready to work hard (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great pay but low hours makes Jack need to find more jobs

Current Employee - Mathematics Tutor  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Mathematics Tutor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay, management treats you with respect, professional, and your input is valuable.

Cons

Seasonal and ultra-part-time, provided number of clients ranged from 0 - 5, (2 hours per week per client).

Get more clients! Refocus on advertising methods so that tutors are able to also make a living. Also, don't pay once per month! That is ridiculous, at leats do bi-weekly, or at best compensate daily ;)

Great tutoring company and very organized

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get a chance to work flexible hours and decide whether you are interested in tutoring a client or not. They give you a great opportunity to apply your skills in helping others who are experiencing difficulties in subject areas that you are comfortable in teaching/tutoring.

Cons

You might be required to drive to locations that are quite far from where you live, and in most cases you won't be given gas fare.

Fabulous Work Culture

Current Employee - Associate Director of Recruitment  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Director of Recruitment in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time for less than a year

Pros

I'm a FT employee, not a tutor. The atmosphere feels almost "google-ish." It's fresh, innovative and constantly growing and changing. Everybody has a voice and upper mgmt has a 100% open door policy. You have easy direct Skype or email access to everyone from the President and Founder on down. Mgmt takes you seriously. They are just as apt to implement an idea of yours as they are one from top mgmt. We all work from home, but there is still a feeling of camaraderie that is better than what I have felt in most brick and mortar places I've worked. We all love what we do and everyone I know WANTS to be here. The warmth and friendliness is amazing. Everybody takes pride in the company and wants to see it succeed.

Cons

It's not a con, because they are very clear up front about the hours, but be prepared to work some serious hours. 11 days on (9 hours a day or 10 if you take an hour for lunch) and 3 days off. Having two 3 days weekends every month is great, and completely makes up for the 11 days straight schedule. Again, you are not hoodwinked into long hours. I was told in the interview what the hours would be.

Dental and Vision were just added, so it's not advice to mgmt., just a hats off. Profit sharing and 401K would be nice things to have in the future. Also, maybe some face to face regional meetings once a year to augment the annual summit. Seeing co-workers face to face would be nice, and it could be done fairly inexpensively. Perhaps eventually some quarterly regional meetings.They could be semi-formal, without expansive agendas, just an opportunity to get together with co-workers in your region. There could be host cities and employees from that city could arrange one social event to go along with the rest of the working weekend.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing company. Been working for them for the past 3 years.

Current Employee - Certified Tutor  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Certified Tutor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As a tutor, lots of flexibility. Very understanding administration and very receptive.

Cons

Monthly pay is a little bit of a hassle. bimonthly or weekly pay would be nice.

Good idea for individualized supplemental education

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Varsity Tutors as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Higher pay, strict hiring guidelines, and a high regard for customer service and student/family attention.

Cons

They are still working through some technology quirks, but those problems are not too difficult to work around.

Great opportunity to work from home

I worked at Varsity Tutors

Pros

Company has decent pay for part-time employees. It doesn't seem so great for full time. Working from home is a nice benefit.

Cons

The company is growing rapidly and in the past,, hasn't made the best decisions. It seems there is a lot of turnover in middle management.

Leadership from the top seems lacking.

Decent supplemental income while in school

Current Employee - Certified Tutor  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Certified Tutor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Varsity Tutors as a contractor

Pros

The directors are really nice and are great at communicating via email. The potential client email request system has recently been streamlined so that you can simply click a link to say you're interested in taking the client, you're not interested, or you need more information. The pay is okay, and the direct deposit system is nice. Hours are flexible to an extent - since most of the students are (or seem to be) high school students needing SAT and ACT prep, their school schedules generally limit you to working evenings or weekends.

Cons

No one seems to pay attention to my schedule, especially vacations, even though they request a schedule pretty regularly and I supply them with one. Tutors get maybe 35% of the overall fee, if that. I've seen tutors for the company advertised on tutoring sites for $57+ an hour, but tutors only make $18 to $20ish an hour. This is in spite of the fact that tutors perform the bulk of the work (once a client is assigned to a tutor, the tutor does all scheduling and communication; the company just collects the fee and disburses payment to the tutor).

Your tutors should be making more, and should be paid at a level commensurate with their education. Someone with a bachelor's degree should not be making as much as someone with a graduate degree without teaching or tutoring experience in excess of the more educated person. Tell your directors to actually use the scheduling information they request so frequently. Otherwise, what was the point in asking?

Director

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time

Pros

1. Work from home
    2. Senior Management that listens, takes all requests, opinions and suggestions very seriously and responds promptly. I, as an employee, feel more valued with this company than other very large corporate companies I have worked for in the past.
    3. Wonderful colleagues and work environment
    4. Technology is constantly changing and evolving to make our jobs easier and more efficient.
    5. Fast growing company, there are often new opportunities arising

Cons

1. NO work/life balance. You are expected to work VERY long days and weekends. Definitely not ideal if you have a family or small children (unless you are a work-a-holic, then it doesn't matter!)
    2. Health benefits offered, but no dental, vision, 401k.
    3. Very minimal vacations and holidays compared to other companies. Expect to work on holidays occasionally

Continue to LISTEN to your employees concerns and be sure they are happy. If you have happy employees your business will thrive and your turnover will be low.

Professional interview on phone, was warm, respectful and asked very good questions.

Former Employee - Tutor  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Tutor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Varsity Tutors part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule and potential to work with variety of students..

Cons

Not enough hours for income I need.

"Wonderful company."

Current Employee - Academic Tutor  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time for less than a year

Pros

The clients are often self motivated and eager to learn, so you do not feel like your efforts are ever in vain. In addition, the hours are perfect for students and people who are trying to have two jobs. The hours are manageable and suited to your needs.

Cons

Depending on where you live, it can be quite a drive to the clients' house (you are reimbursed for longer drives, however). Business can also be slow at times of the year because of school being out, so you may need to find other jobs if this is your primary source of income.

Worked for Varsity Tutors? Contribute to the Community!