Varsity Tutors

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Chuck Cohn

Pros
  • The ability to work from home allows flexibility which is a huge perk (in 21 reviews)

• The flexible schedule and the ability to work from home are great advantages (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes it's tough to "turn it off" since I do work from home (in 8 reviews)

• This job requires a lot of hours each week, so be ready to work hard (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good idea for individualized supplemental education

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsHigher pay, strict hiring guidelines, and a high regard for customer service and student/family attention.

ConsThey are still working through some technology quirks, but those problems are not too difficult to work around.

Career Opportunities

ProsFew career positions repeatedly announced .

ConsDoes Varsity Tutors really have positions for career ? They keep on
    advertising for the same positions. Is it a scam?

Advice to Senior ManagementHave you reviewed all qualified applications submitted. It seems you have not carefully
    looked at them.

Great opportunity to work from home

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompany has decent pay for part-time employees. It doesn't seem so great for full time. Working from home is a nice benefit.

ConsThe company is growing rapidly and in the past,, hasn't made the best decisions. It seems there is a lot of turnover in middle management.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership from the top seems lacking.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent supplemental income while in school

Certified Tutor (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe directors are really nice and are great at communicating via email. The potential client email request system has recently been streamlined so that you can simply click a link to say you're interested in taking the client, you're not interested, or you need more information. The pay is okay, and the direct deposit system is nice. Hours are flexible to an extent - since most of the students are (or seem to be) high school students needing SAT and ACT prep, their school schedules generally limit you to working evenings or weekends.

ConsNo one seems to pay attention to my schedule, especially vacations, even though they request a schedule pretty regularly and I supply them with one. Tutors get maybe 35% of the overall fee, if that. I've seen tutors for the company advertised on tutoring sites for $57+ an hour, but tutors only make $18 to $20ish an hour. This is in spite of the fact that tutors perform the bulk of the work (once a client is assigned to a tutor, the tutor does all scheduling and communication; the company just collects the fee and disburses payment to the tutor).

Advice to Senior ManagementYour tutors should be making more, and should be paid at a level commensurate with their education. Someone with a bachelor's degree should not be making as much as someone with a graduate degree without teaching or tutoring experience in excess of the more educated person. Tell your directors to actually use the scheduling information they request so frequently. Otherwise, what was the point in asking?

Director

Director (Current Employee)

Pros1. Work from home
    2. Senior Management that listens, takes all requests, opinions and suggestions very seriously and responds promptly. I, as an employee, feel more valued with this company than other very large corporate companies I have worked for in the past.
    3. Wonderful colleagues and work environment
    4. Technology is constantly changing and evolving to make our jobs easier and more efficient.
    5. Fast growing company, there are often new opportunities arising

Cons1. NO work/life balance. You are expected to work VERY long days and weekends. Definitely not ideal if you have a family or small children (unless you are a work-a-holic, then it doesn't matter!)
    2. Health benefits offered, but no dental, vision, 401k.
    3. Very minimal vacations and holidays compared to other companies. Expect to work on holidays occasionally

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to LISTEN to your employees concerns and be sure they are happy. If you have happy employees your business will thrive and your turnover will be low.

Professional interview on phone, was warm, respectful and asked very good questions.

Tutor (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsFlexible schedule and potential to work with variety of students..

ConsNot enough hours for income I need.

"Wonderful company."

Academic Tutor (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe clients are often self motivated and eager to learn, so you do not feel like your efforts are ever in vain. In addition, the hours are perfect for students and people who are trying to have two jobs. The hours are manageable and suited to your needs.

ConsDepending on where you live, it can be quite a drive to the clients' house (you are reimbursed for longer drives, however). Business can also be slow at times of the year because of school being out, so you may need to find other jobs if this is your primary source of income.

I have worked with some nice kids, but find the company unprofessional.

Tutor (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsTutors can pick their own hours and general locations. The pay is somewhat higher than that of most other tutoring companies. Except for logging tutoring hours and brief descriptions of the sessions, there are no real administrative duties involved.

ConsThe company seems to be run by bright but fairly clueless college students. There is no training, so customers can easily end up with smart tutors who, unfortunately, have no idea how to teach. The company doesn't offer a lot of work, and sometimes they repeatedly offer assignments outside of a tutor's stated preferences. Travel time, supplies, gas and tolls subtract a significant amount from the total compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some supervisors who actually know something about teaching and put together a training program--even an online one. Customer satisfaction should improve. Several of my clients complained to me that although they were happy with my work (English), they couldn't find a good math tutor through Varsity.

Tough but rewarding work-from-home at a fast-growing company.

Sales Director (Current Employee)

Pros1) Satisfying work - VT expects a lot from its directors but doesn't burden them with needless busy work. Everything I do during the day I feel is clearly contributing to our shared success. I also generally feel good about the work I do with our clients - we've got great tutors and it's a wonderful feeling when you hear about how we've helped our students.

2) Working from home - this is a big advantage for me personally, though I've known people who didn't much like it, so it might be a con for some! I really enjoy the ability to work independently and manage my own time.

3) Community and teamwork - the culture at VT is great. Everyone works together and shares the burden when things get busy. The leadership team is very available to everyone for questions, comments, or suggestions. It's nice to know that I can send a Skype message to the VP or CEO at any time and my thoughts will be taken seriously!

Cons1) Benefits - VT provides health insurance, but that's it. No vision, no dental, no 401k. I'm hoping that changes soon as the company is growing VERY quickly but for right now they do run a little light on benefits.

2) Hours - you're expected to work 50 hours a week minimum, and work every other weekend. A typical day is from 8-6pm, and you're occasionally expected to do a late shift, usually from 10-8pm. Since there's no commute it's not too terrible, but anyone applying to VT should be aware of what they're getting into!

Advice to Senior ManagementIn short, start thinking long-term about your employee development. The company is growing so quickly that it's obvious there will be some opportunities for advancement in the near future - start making it clear to your directors the paths that they could follow to move into leadership roles. Likewise, if folks are going to be with you for the long-haul, start considering retirement plans and expanded benefits!

I could not be happier - so proud to be working for Varsity Tutors!

City-Wide Director (Current Employee)

ProsWorking at Varsity Tutors has been an incredible experience. The ability to work from home allows flexibility which is a huge perk. It is the best of both worlds as you are able to work independently while any co-worker is just a call or instant message away. There is a true sense of team here as we work hard together to do our jobs the best we can. There is nothing more rewarding than being able to help students and change lives for the better!

ConsSome might consider working a long day a con however if you love what you do this does not matter. Those hours are spent in the comfort of your own home while helping students in their time of need - most certainly not a con!!

Advice to Senior ManagementI cannot say enough about my immediate supervisor and upper management. They are very approachable and make it known that you can come to them with any issue, question or new idea to share. They are a huge source of support and work hard to develop their teams so we continue to grow as employees.

Worked for Varsity Tutors? Contribute to the Community!