Varsity Tutors

Updated February 25, 2015
Updated February 25, 2015
4.2

Chuck Cohn

Pros
  • The ability to work from home allows flexibility which is a huge perk (in 24 reviews)

• The flexible schedule and the ability to work from home are great advantages (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • While working from home is a big perk it isn't for everyone (in 9 reviews)

• Working the long hours is difficult for family time and making sure that I am present with them (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good but not wow

Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, good communication, great to work with, easy to fit around your schedule

Cons

Pay is not wonderful, opportunities are not frequent enough and are sometimes less than ideal. Expectations for some assignments are not crystal clear. great part-time, but i would not want to be depending on this job to pay the bills

Consider higher pay for higher skill level work.
    Expectations should be clear with both families and tutors (e.g., session length, number of meetings)
    Discourage extreme short-term assignments--prepping for one test on one session, SAT subject prep in one week, etc. Not practical
    Figure out a way to distinguish what levels of things we are qualified for _e.e., HS versus college

Working at Varsity Tutors has taken the stress out of finding new clients and dealing with payment.

Current Employee - Math Tutor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Math Tutor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time (less than a year)

Pros

As someone who dislikes the marketing aspect of being a tutor, Varsity Tutors is great because it does all the work for me. They bring the clients directly to me. And I don't have to deal with in-person money transactions during sessions. I simply log the session online and Varsity Tutors takes care of it all. The directors are friendly, always on call and eager to help whenever possible.

Cons

The only downside I can think of is the hourly pay is not as high as if I were finding clients independently, but that is understandable.

Long interview to hire process, long training process

Former Employee - Part Time Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Varsity Tutors part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get to work from home and nearly everyone I encountered in the company was super nice, patient, and approachable. You feel like there's lots of opportunities for upward movement and you have a good work-life balance.

Cons

The time period between my first interview and first day of training spanned about 2-3 months for a part time position, which I consider rather a long wait since it's not full time.

I really only have lovely things to say about company morale and values; there was only one experience I had with a manager in training who I found brass, unclassy, and who regrettably lacked the insight of likability being an advantage to a person in a leadership role.

I feel training can be condensed more as well so it does not take about 9 sessions or so.

Good part-time job for college students

Former Contractor - Tutor in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Contractor - Tutor in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Varsity Tutors as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

It is great to set your own schedule and you can accept or reject any offers you'd like. The organization is always on your side.

Cons

It isn't quite worth the pay. It is inconvenient to drive to clients homes/areas and the gas adds up. For some reason the way I had to file taxes I I ended up breaking even in the end. I also had clients not show up sometimes and it just cost me money.

Pay workers for gas and somehow figure out how to chance the tax filing system.

OK pay rate, OK students, everything else needs a lot of work

Current Employee - Tutor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tutor in New York, NY

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule.
    OK hourly rate (I make more through WyzAnt).
    Clients have been good so far.
    Overall, not a terrible option, but if I reduce my tutoring hours, I'll stop using VT first

Cons

Don't expect to get too many jobs: the model seems to be having a glut of tutors so that jobs will get filled quickly
    Absurd wait time for pay
    Lack of transparency
    Poor communication from central office about clients and potential jobs
    Drawn out interview process
    Poor attention to detail: how am I approved for SAT Verbal and not for SAT Critical Reading?
    Lack of control
    They want 30 days notice for quitting
    Pay rate for working with up to 3 students at a time same as for working with one student.
    Students complained to me about the company, saying they found them "annoying."
    I prefer working through WyzAnt: better pay, much faster pay, more control, more transparency

Pay more than once a month; it's ridiculous to have to wait up to 40 days to get paid for work.
    Be clearer in postings about what a particular job entails (duration, number of students, frequency of meetings, etc.).
    If you contact me about a job and then decide to go with someone else, tell me.

Good experience with this company.

I have been working at Varsity Tutors

Pros

The interview process was pretty simple. They find the clients for you to tutor which is pretty convenient. You are not required to tutor every client they offer you. You can choose the clients that fit well into your schedule, and are not hard to get you. The directors are very nice, and easy to contact.

Cons

It would be better if there were not minimum session lengths, as some clients would like sessions that are less than the minimum required length of a tutoring session.

Allow a shorter minimum session length for test prep.

A very solid way to supplement a full-time position

Current Contractor - Tutor
    Current Contractor - Tutor

I have been working at Varsity Tutors as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

-Being able to create your own schedule
    -The fact that you can always expand your subject areas by prepping yourself and testing for certification
    -There's a good variety of students and subjects to choose from - it's not just ALL test prep
    -Directors provide good support, and are very helpful with dealing with client issues if they ever come up.

Cons

Works better as a nice way to supplement an existing income rather than as a way to finance all your expenses. I don't know if there would be enough work, even if you were able to take most of the students you were offered.

VT has done a great job utilizing technology to streamline the way tutors and directors communicate with each other. Unfortunately, sometimes it's not as clear as it could be what is most helpful to the directors, so the tutors end up getting more emails and texts from their managers than they need to, and the directors lose what I'm sure is precious time following up and waiting for responses. Is it clinking the yes/no/maybe link that submits the response, or submitting the reason in the text box? Do I need to answer every single offer sent out, especially if consistently outside of the times that are on file for me to be available? Anyway, I think a little more clarity for the tutors as to how to better support the directors would save everyone some time.

Perfect part-time work

Current Employee - Tutor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Tutor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The system for scheduling clients is very organized and streamlined and the flexibility of being able to choose your clients and dictate your schedule makes it the perfect part-time job for someone already working full-time.

Cons

The restrictions on time requirements/meeting minimums can be inflexible and frustrating.

Independent Hourly Contractor

Current Contractor - Certified Tutor in Boston, MA
    Current Contractor - Certified Tutor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Varsity Tutors as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Varsity Tutors has flexible hours that allows me to continue to go to school full time and manage my schedule. I am able to take as few or as many clients as I want. It has been a really great opportunity to add to my budget and continue employment and education. Their management team is responsive and professional in all communications. The clients I work with are invariably kind and polite. I enjoy teaching a variety of subjects to keep things interesting.

Cons

There is not much room for advancement or salary increase. There is little transparency about much clients pay for the services they receive. In a large city the travel time to get to clients can severely reduce the functional pay rate.

Thanks for updating the virtual online platform! It is looking better.

Solid tutoring company; difficult to acquire consistent clients

Current Employee - Tutor
    Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at Varsity Tutors (less than a year)

Pros

The interview process - while detailed - was not too difficult provided you knew the information at hand + the set up for payment and clients is simple.

Cons

Acquiring clients consistently is rather difficult + competitive; it is also a bit difficult making sure you have the proper company resources for students who need intensive tutoring.