Vassar College

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014
4.2

Cappy Hill

Fun and fulfilling work study job

Former Employee - Asian Studies Senior in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Former Employee - Asian Studies Senior in Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at Vassar College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy to take ownership of the position and help the Asian Studies Program grow
    Chairperson (rotating position) is generally easy-going and understanding of the total workload of students
    Helping professors related to the Program can expose you to different research fields

Cons

Goes without saying, but work can sometimes interfere with other priorities like schoolwork and club activities

Thanks for a great two years!

Opportunity for professional growth and development within a unique setting--overly complicated systems.

Former Employee - Athletic Trainer, ATC in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Former Employee - Athletic Trainer, ATC in Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at Vassar College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Access to multiple facilities for professional and personal usage. Beautiful campus, in a natural setting, with great architecture. Most of the faculty/staff/administration are very approachable, friendly and helpful--especially those who have been around for several years. Vassar is a small enough campus to where you can network with several departments, ultimately increasing corroboration in efforts to improve overall efficiency.

It has been brought to the attention of leadership and tenured administration that changes are necessary for progress, thus VC is on the brink of being able to accomplish some great things--if action is taken and seized, not simply putting "things" in place.

While certainly an affluent student demographic at large, the student-athlete population are an excellent bunch. These young sirs and madam's are top quality individuals who have an intelligentsia-first focus. VC is truly supportive of the term STUDENT-Athlete, and that remains a guiding philosophy/practice on this campus.

Cons

The dept. rarely took initiative to improve culture. Once or twice a year dept. meetings will not do anything to improve morale, they simply serve to keep everyone "in the know" at a base minimum. Employees are afraid to speak up, on the whole, and don't feel that they are heard or understood. Employees are unable to complete year-end reviews of management and leadership--it is a classic trickle down setting here. Departmental operations are very rigid protocols, without much latitude for unapproved spontaneity. It can be difficult to tell sometimes, whether individuals stay because they truly enjoy working here, or rather because of the time they've invested.

The entire dept. is undergoing change vis-'a-vis leadership and personnel churn. The athletics dept. took steps to initiate a dept. wide assessment & evaluation, yet upon completion, nothing from it was truly enacted for positive change. It does appear to be the case that a limited operating budget greatly impedes the capabilities of the true potential this dept. could attain.

Continue to improve inter-office communications, within the dept. especially.

Allow for constructive feedback from your "underlings", as they have many great ideas that could improve operations, if given a chance.

Don't fall prey to the "it's how we've always done things" routine! Allow for creative, non-traditional functionality--it may open your eyes.

Invite more people to your closed door meetings, you're creating an atmosphere of exclusivity, which will end up ostracizing those around you.

Excellent experience!

Current Employee - Collection Management Assistant in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Current Employee - Collection Management Assistant in Poughkeepsie, NY

I have been working at Vassar College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Payment is very decent, and we even got an exhaustive pay rise this year. Thanks to this decent amount of payment, I did not have to wait for my parents to help me financially, even though I only work in Vassar's library part-time.

Cons

Sometimes we have to face the lack of materials that are necessary for working. I wonder why this should happen, given that Vassar College is quite affluent financially.

I had an excellent experience in Vassar. Thanks very much!

Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at Vassar College as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Vassar is a great place to work. The atmosphere is casual and everyone is very friendly and supportive. People are helpful and understanding.

Cons

I can't think of anything because my experience has been very positive and because going to Vassar transformed my worldview and made me a better person.

Keep it up!

What you expect.

I worked at Vassar College part-time

Pros

Bosses are usually flexible in terms of hours. Decent training for jobs, though not much skills are needed. Financial aid students are guaranteed jobs.

Cons

Student jobs are mostly minimum wage (or just above). The application process is tedious and sometimes disorganized.

Good environment, lower than average pay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poughkeepsie, NY

I have been working at Vassar College part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great interviewing process, strong leadership in my department, decent access to resources. Also incredibly flexible schedule to accommodate classes.

Cons

Lower than average maximum pay for student workers. Not really anything else to complain about as far as a student job goes.

Poor Admin. Worker

Former Employee - Library Assistant in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Former Employee - Library Assistant in Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at Vassar College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone is very nice, the students generally are very hard working and good kids

Cons

Very Poor Pay! VERY POOR, and benefits are very expensive, I couldn't afford to get insurance for me and my wife with my pitiful salary.

Some of the students are used to being spoon-fed and handed everything, and aren't used to hearing no, which isn't the best.

Great for Student Affairs Professional

I worked at Vassar College

Pros

Room for professional development and personal growth. Work life balance is something the institution strives to create. Great opportunity for collaboration with other departments.

Cons

Increase diversity of faculty and administration needed. There needs to be more room for growth within the college, less top heavy.

Part-time work experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at Vassar College part-time

Pros

Great collaborative work environment. Treat all employees like family

Cons

No major cons. Personally rewarding work

It was a nice summer job

I worked at Vassar College part-time (less than an year)

Pros

No benefits but the work environment was very relaxed and friendly

Cons

It is not a career opportunity that offers much room for advancement

Provide more opportunities