Vatterott Education Centers, Inc.

www.vatterott.edu
  www.vatterott.edu

Vatterott Education Centers, Inc. Reviews

Updated November 24, 2014
Updated November 24, 2014
1.9

Pam Bell

Great organization to work for. I believe that since working for Vatterott over 8 years ago it has grown into a better

I have been working at Vatterott Education Centers, Inc. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I believe that since working for Vatterott over 8 years ago it has grown into a better and more sophisticated school. When I first started the company seemed simple and today the programs offered are on par with most Universities.

Cons

Some employees like most other companies will never be satisfied.

Continue giving the support that is currently being given to the students and employees. This starts from the top, CEO and President. The example and leadership being given by the CEO is of the highest quality and is reflected by her staff.

Fun work for great pay

Current Employee - Diesel Mechanic Instructor in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Diesel Mechanic Instructor in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Vatterott Education Centers, Inc. part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smaller class sizes, great pay great co workers

Cons

Senior management under qualified, had a lot of turn over of senior management due to a lot of bad decisions. Ulitmatley that led to the second shift classes to be canceled and I was out of a job.

Technology is good. Low enrollement was due to outdated teaching aids. work with your instructors not against them.

Not bad but not the best

Current Employee - Education Coordinator in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Education Coordinator in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Vatterott Education Centers, Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoy working for the company. Pay is good. Management is decent. I mostly enjoy impacting people's life.

Cons

It's not a normal 9-5. Work-life balance can suffer. Raises are a joke. You might as well apply for a different job internally if you want more money.

Hard to work there.

Current Employee - Instructor in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Instructor in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Vatterott Education Centers, Inc. part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The building is beautiful. Some of the instructors are decent folks. A lot of decent administrators.

Cons

Unconscionably low pay. Work hours are impossible to live with. Don't ever want to buy capital equipment, ever. Remote control from HQ and they don't know anything about managing a company. They're just out to line their wallets. It's sad. Some of the instructors are unqualified and downright mean. While others try pretty hard, given the circumstances.

Management decisions seem haphazard and last minute. Turn-over rate of administration is astounding., just stop it. People want to be paid, not just work and live on the street. Upper management is not respected so leave some decisions to people on site. Stop pinching pennies, it's not working.

Problematic company, emotionally punishing work experience

Former Employee - Management in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Management in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Vatterott Education Centers, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is fairly high end for working in education. Many of the instructors truly care, and the students are generally enjoyable to interact with.

Cons

It's difficult to comprehensively describe the amount of issues within this company, so I'll start at the top: There is rampant cronyism and nepotism within top end management. Often, someone is promoted within the corporate hierarchy exclusively because the CEO personally likes them. It's not uncommon for the same person to hold dozens of different positions within the corporate structure, often in rapid succession, even though they're proven they aren't competent because the CEO wants to keep them around. Campus faculty and administrative staff are micromanaged to no end, questioned at every turn, and generally blamed for endemic structural issues within the company - even if Vatterott Corporate is the one creating those issues and driving the company into the ground.

If you're working on campus, you will be micromanaged extensively and generally treated like a child. Do you hold a "Director" position? Be prepared to work 50-60 hours a week, at a minimum (you're salaried, so you're free labor past 40 hours, right?) Yes, that includes Saturday's, yes, that may include Sunday's as well, especially if you are in admissions.

Actually, be prepared to work holiday's plus those days if you are in admissions. If you are in admissions, expect to make at least 100 phone calls a day, often calling the same people 2-3 times in the same day. If you don't hit your enrollment goals, you will get battered by management, specifically corporate.

Be prepared to have everything be your fault, and to have no other answer suffice. You will be disrespected, insulted both tacitly and directly, and, again, I must emphasize this: micromanaged to no end. Students (revenue stream!) are dropping? That's your fault! Instructors will be pressured to pass students and alter grades even if they aren't passing, by the way.

Work at Vatterott if you have no other recourse, or if you have no soul, or if you're a masochist.

Promote based on merit. Give more than 1% raises every year no matter what. Manage with some other technique besides threatening, fear, and punishment. Actually do what's best for the students rather than just having that as a marketing slogan.

You would rather be on unemployment then to work here.

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Vatterott Education Centers, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with some really great people who work their tails off and get nothing but abuse for their efforts.

Cons

No work life balance at all. Unacceptable to have a life outside of work. It's like an abusive relationship working here.

More advice to the Board; fire the CEO. I actually really enjoyed my actual job in working with students. However, this was hands down the worst person I've Ever had to work for. Emotionally and verbally abusive, in public and private. Only manages by fear. Never a positive word and god help you if you needed to take a Saturday or holiday off. At one point, was told to work Sundays as well so had one stretch of 27 days working in a row. In no way compensated for it other than regular salary. Campuses are run down physically. Corners are constantly cut to save money rather than fixing the maintenance problems. And employees that are lazy, unethical and manipulators are the ones that are revered and never let go. Steer clear of this one.

So many issues, it's hard to know where to start

I worked at Vatterott Education Centers, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I liked some of the people I worked with.

Cons

Company offers very little in the way of training or personal development. Campuses are short staffed. Employees are bitter, overworked and under appreciated. Compensation is not competitive for adjuncts. This is a for-profit college and the company is managed as such at the expense of the employees and students. It's hard to tell who is a bigger sucker... the students that spend too much on their education or the employees that are taken advantage of and beaten down to the point they just stick around like a battered house wife.

Treat your employees better. There is no company without them.

Vatterott Colleges

I have been working at Vatterott Education Centers, Inc.

Pros

The compensation is very good.

Cons

Some or most of the top Management people would be more suited to work in the Circus with whips and chairs. It is very politically motivated with personal relationships between Executive leaders making it impossible for the people who do the real work that are not inside the circle of family, friends and extramarital affairs.

Clean up your act. I'm amazed that you haven't had major lawsuits (if you haven't already)

Only take a job here if you have no other options

Former Employee - Professional in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Professional in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Vatterott Education Centers, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are some great people working there. You may have a chance to meet famous people. I was grateful for the paycheck to help pay family bills, but it was just that, not a career.

Cons

First, I believe a job is what you make it and what you focus on. If you are not happy somewhere, work through it and change your attitude or move on. While there I preached to work hard and you will be rewarded. Unfortunately, I was wrong. (I left on my own, and it is night and day between Vatterott and my new position)

I'm not sure where to start. In my time here I reported to more bosses than years I have worked here, team restructuring is over 2x my years working here, there is very little stability, my pay was at-least $20k under what I should be making, the vacation package is what I had when I was fresh out of a "real" school, I see posts about chances to move up on glass door and that is not the case at the corp level, there is a constant churn of employees -regardless if they are talented or not, very high school mentality that starts from executives, micro-management is an understatement, some individuals add zero value or doing jobs that they are are not qualified for, decisions are made on emotions not logic (from the top), mentality that your expertise does not matter, lack of planning, they moniter your career builder account to watch for updates, in the past couple years they have gone through: 3 COO, CFO, CMO, VP of Marketing, 2 VPs of Finance, countless lawyers, Campus Directors and Director of Admissions, Feels like income is more important than education. For you to even accept a job you are required to sign away rights, they lost a $5million dollar lawsuit in 2013 for lies to a past student and I hear that it is not the first time, don't ever expect to hear "good job", (your goals are always a moving target -more so than normal) you feel like you could loose your job any day (even when you are doing good and working hard), A "C-title" person will belittle you in front of peers and say negative things about others (regardless of that person's title), if you give notice expect to be treated unprofessionally, they hide numbers from employees so you do not know how the company is doing, max yearly raise is 3% -and that 3% is only if you are lucky and they "like" you, HORRIBLE medical, no real 401k, too many games

ADVICE FOR SUCCESS: hear no evil, speak no evil, see no evil, stay at your desk, be a yes man/woman (even when you should say no), work until at-least 7pm (or apear like you are working), delegate any responsibility - take all the credit, be passive aggressive to co-workers, run to executives and pout about unfair treatment any chance you get.

The difference between motivation and manipulation is respect. When you don't respect your employees you will continue to have people leaving faster than you can fill.

Proprietary education at its best...

Former Employee - Career Services Coordinator in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Career Services Coordinator in Memphis, TN

I worked at Vatterott Education Centers, Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance, fellow employees, student events

Cons

HS Diploma/GED gets you in the door & $$ gets you a degree. There is pressure to keep students in school at whatever cost. Students are perceived as a revenue. Corporate offices are unsure how to maintain enrollment to keep the stakeholders happy; therefore, new directives are pushed through w/out thorough thought or analysis. However, this is no different than their competitors.
    No advancement opportunities.
    Training (lack of)

Ask employees who are working directly with students. Understand what works at one campus will not necessarily work at others.