Vault

Updated Apr 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark D. McDonnell

A company that really cares about its business and employees equally!

Product Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe mission is amazing and they promote within. They are for their employees and make sure appreciation is always given. I always felt supported and needed. my manager and coworkers work together to make sure everyone felt confident. The perks are great as well!

ConsMy commute is long, since I live in NJ.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. With the new resource live, the company is going to continue to grow and grow, because management knows what they are doing.

A great company till it was acquired by Infobase

Senior Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat Work Environment, Great People, Chance to excel and grow.

ConsAfter Acquisition the company laid off a lot of people, the direction is cloudy and the C executives won't to show positive revenue by cost cutting.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn about the digital space before one acquires a digital company.

We are becoming irrelevant to our audience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWe have provided career related content to some of the most prestigious academic institutions in the world through Vault.com and Career Insider, now Vault Campus. The company was acquired by Infobase Learning, a publishing company, several years ago. Infobase Learning, as another co-worker recently published, has reasonable hours and is located near Penn Station. Commuting here is easy. Virtually everyone piles into the elevators at 5:00 PM.

ConsWhat used to be a very entrepreneurial company with co-workers that loved their company is no more. The management team from Infobase Learning has squashed the entrepreneurial spirit of Vault. Marketing is non existent (our traffic is at the lowest point ever) and our web development team takes months to make needed changes to the website. Vault has gone through year after year of layoffs. Most recently we released our Chief Revenue Officer, the backbone of Vault, along with another very knowledgeable employee, who oversaw a sales department and survey enrollment. We now have less than 20 people.

As mentioned in another co-worker's review. Vault inherited Infobase Learning's dysfunctional corporate culture. The CEO micromanages every aspect of the company. Everything is monitored, your work space your email and your phone calls. The pay is low and the benefits are costly. Not that you can afford it, but there is no 401K matching.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. I'm not optimistic about the future of Vault. I've finally made the decision to leave.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A dysfunctional company that's lost in another dysfunctional company (Infobase Publishing)

ProsVault law group is very well respected. Flexible work hours so you can take off without much hassle. The few employees that remain make the work environment almost sufferable. "We're in this together". If you can afford to work here, it is a place to start your career.

ConsThe pay is not good. You start low and there are no raises, ever. The benefits are minimal. Healthcare is costly to purchase and you still pay high deductibles. No development resources; updates take forever; no investment in marketing; HIGHLY monitored work environment. Layoff after layoff of good employees; no, great employees. Why?

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on the "Cons"

Ironic - the company that profiles other companies' working conditions was pretty shitty itself.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSome very nice people there.

ConsUm, salary cuts and 7 or 8 rounds of layoffs? blatant cronyism? no HR department?

Advice to Senior ManagementVC firm that bought company installed a CEO that did not have the talent to see the company through an economic downturn. He was very good at hiring his buddies though.

Scoop on careers with a career publishing company

Former Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat co-workers, decent benefits, pretty regular schedule for a publishing/internet company

ConsThe company is struggling to survive right now, but that is pretty typical during the recession. Not as many opportunites to advance as I would have liked.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are worried abut the company's future.

Great place to launch a career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

Proscompany positioned for growth - great training ground

Consrecent layoff means bigger workload for survivors

Advice to Senior Managementbe open and visible

Unrealized potential

Manager (Current Employee) Mumbai (India)

ProsVault.com is a great brand. It has a huge potential and it operates in a market which is virtually recession free. It has a very niche market to itself and virtually no competitor which places it in a very enviable position.
    There was a great amount of sharing of ideas between us.

ConsThe management I believe is not very sure about how it will make the best use of the market where Vault is in. It is confused on where it sees Vault in a long term. Is it into media space, education space, career or both.

Advice to Senior ManagementCOncentrate more on the education part as it is going to really improve the company valuations that going for the sponsorship model only.

Worked for Vault? Contribute to the Community!