Vecna Technologies Reviews

Updated March 13, 2015
69 reviews filtered by
2.9
Deborah Theobald

Pros
  • great work/life balance, especially flexibility of work hours and option of working from home (in 8 reviews)

• The culture of community service is great (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The paid-community-service must be spent 4 hours per week, they are not open to 8 hours every other week, making it very difficult to schedule (in 3 reviews)

• First of all, the time-tracking is horribly stressful (in 3 reviews)

Quirky company that wants to do the right thing

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Vecna Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Vecna has its heart in the right place. Its employees give back to the community. They have instituted quality improvement programs to reduce product defect rates. There are some people there who are very smart. They have typically hired from the top technical schools in the country. The culture is quirky and fun. Nobody there takes themselves too seriously. People are there to make a difference in the world. Work life balance was good.

Cons

Things had gotten pretty politically charged with turf battles between different groups. This happened a lot as it became apparent that the company was not closing the deals that it expected to. Department re-orgs happened so often that people stopped paying attention to formal reporting structures and role definitions. There was a lack of leadership and no willingness to make hard decisions to help focus the company.

Keep the culture. Focus more. Understand what you are good at.

Lost its way

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free T pass
    Free healthy lunch offerings
    Convenient location on Red Line in Cambridge
    Fully paid health care and 401K

Cons

Vecna has lost its way. It is no longer a happy place to work. When I joined, the company was actively hiring across the board, although many of the positions seemed to be expensive luxuries and not needed for a company of its size, for example a company masseuse. Vecna squandered millions on ill founded projects and bad decisions. While it had a leading position in certain areas of healthcare software, it wasted its lead due to arrogance and poor management.

Vecna managed to hire and still has many good people. But they have been frustrated and poorly managed. Today very few are happy and confident about the prospects of the company. If you visit the company you will see signs that state that the company is building transformative technologies to empower humanity. Ok, nice idea, but the company has trouble delivering software or hardware products that actually work and are not totally buggy. The quality issues are the result of convoluted legacy code and poor management plus employees are losing their motivation.

This is not a happy well-run company today. Any optimistic glowing reviews that I read on the site don't seem to have been written by employees as I doubt many still feel this way. Perhaps Vecna was worthy of being a 4 star rated company a couple of years ago but no longer.

Shrink the company, get rid of unrealistic pet projects and focus on what the market really wants and will pay for. Stop relying on Goalmind as your management system. Cut out the arrogant "we are the market leader"attitude, its not true, and actually go to the market and listen and learn what they want, then deliver it on time and without bugs.

Spectacular company culture with abysmal management decisions. It's a gamble.

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Vecna Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people at this company are great. They really do ensure that the people they hire not only have the skills, but also the attitude and personality for success. Everyone is willing to help and it’s a great team atmosphere. It’s easy to make friends. And if you’re unhappy for any reason, they will work with you to resolve it.

The benefits are also amazing. Full medical and dental, and cheap vision coverage. 401k with matching, which I had thought didn’t exist anymore. Free monthly T pass. Flex time and lots of paid time off. Clubs to join. Food trucks for lunch every day.

And I learned so much. I was exposed to so many different kinds of projects (most of them really cool) and got to try my hand at a number of different skills. I became a much better engineer, and they’ve boosted their training efforts to help people build their skills more quickly and easily.

Most of all, they actually do legitimately care about making the world a better place. That’s refreshing given the current selfish corporate trends you normally see. I participated in the community service program and it’s really nice to feel like you’re doing something good for someone. In addition to technical skills, I also learned a lot about how to be more conscientious and how to foster an environment where people actually want to work together. That was pretty cool.

Cons

The “formal layoff” mentioned in a review from a week ago happened this week. Literally 20% of the employees gone, without warning, in a single day. Most of us were completely blind-sighted because we thought the company was doing well; good news is shared enthusiastically, but bad news is downplayed or kept hush-hush until it’s too late. 76 people came in (including many who probably previously left positive reviews on this site, and many of whom had been there for years and years), not knowing that it would be their last day of work.

This happened because the company has long relied on one primary business partner whose funding depends on Congress. Efforts have been made to diversify and acquire income from other sources, and have been somewhat successful, but not enough to prevent catastrophe. Valuable people are gone, but that cause is still present. That does not put the company in a good position to move forward.

Many of those gone had particularly amazing potential for bringing in new ideas and sources of funding which is clearly desperately needed. The field of Robotics in particular is going to explode in coming years and one of Vecna’s greatest assets was being at the forefront of that...until they just decimated the team and got rid of the person who had been previously successful at marketing the robot.

Those are all great ways for a company to shoot itself in the foot. It will take Vecna a long time and a lot of effort to recover from this, and it could have been avoided with better planning. I’m sure HR will post a response, as is their right, but ultimately there is no viable excuse for a tech company with marketable products to have to lay off 1/5 of its employees in one go. That truly is unacceptable.

I also noticed that the same day this happened, someone posted a new review here praising the new head of HR but suspiciously lacking any mention of this even though it shook the whole company. HR is generally wonderful and there for the employees, but I have to admit I was a little disconcerted by that.

Management has a great vision of what the company could and should accomplish, but even after a few years of slowly pulling it together, is still too disorganized to fully realize that vision. The immediate outlook is grim. We were joking that the layoff felt a bit like the Red Wedding from Game of Thrones, and morale among the survivors is low.

This was truly a great company to work for, seriously unparalleled by any I’ve seen before...when things were going well. Obviously things are not going well anymore.

Management needs to balance its idealism with practicality and make sure that things like this don’t happen, and if they do, that they don’t stem their greatest opportunities for growth and recovery in a panicked attempt to stay afloat. I enjoyed my time there, and if these problems were fixed I'd want to go back, but management needs to gain some better business sense first.

Jan 29, 2015Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for all the nice things you said. Clearly you made a real effort to emphasize both your positive and negative impressions.

For many people this is their first job right out of college
    ... More

Great team. Terrible, terrible management.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked with some awesome people who really tried to do their jobs as best they could. I made friends, I liked my work. The hours were flexible. Work was interesting.

Cons

There's no loyalty. There were people who had been with the company for 7 years, in high level positions, who'd built the company up. They were shoved out the door with only what they could carry.

The management is sloppy at best and skirting illegality at worst. We would get money from contracts to do work, then shift the money elsewhere; when it came time to work on the project, we were told there was no more money. We'd have months left on the project, and the money had just disappeared.

They'd hire tons of people and then suddenly realize they couldn't pay them. HR was a joke - they'd screw up everyone's job and benefits; tell you something in an email, and then rescind that because they either didn't know what they were doing, or were told the policy had suddenly changed. We hired a PhD, then cut him a few months later because he was too expensive. There was a virtual ban on anything but open-source software; industry-standard tools were rare. No one but biz dev was allowed things like MS Office.

The CEO claims to have a wealth of knowledge and experience. I didn't see evidence of that, and neither did the other engineers. His approach seemed to be "tell people what they want to hear, throw up smoke and mirrors, and then blame the employees when they can't deliver on ridiculous overpromises."

The worst part was the lectures on ethical practices, and the ever present lie of "open door policy" It was an open secret that if you were to actually go complain about something, you'd probably be fired; they'd find a way to write the just cause into the employee handbook that night so you couldn't claim otherwise.

Bottom line: all the negative reviews here, whether they seem bitter or not, are entirely true. The overwhelming positive ones are either astroturf from Talent Development, or kids out of college who don't know they're getting the shaft. You could have work to do one day, and nothing the next, but if you didn't, you'd have to use your vacation time. The pay was substandard; they sell you on benefits and profit sharing, but don't tell you it's unlikely you'll ever see that profit sharing.

I loved, loved my coworkers. I would recommend working here if that were the only decision to make. I'll probably never find better ones. The company, there are so many better ones. I can't recommend working here.

Do better. At everything.

Feb 15, 2015Director, Talent Acquisition

We agree that the people at Vecna are wonderful. The people here really care and are top notch. Unfortunately, so much of the rest of what is said here is easily shown to be completely false or such ... More

Not as advertised

I have been working at Vecna Technologies

Pros

The company is in Cambridge, so it's nice working somewhat in the city. People don't care much about their work so if you want to be able to work at a slow pace this place is great.

Cons

They have mislead employees about their financial state, the company just went through a massive layoff.

Provide more transparency about how the company will keep from sinking.

Feb 18, 2015Director, Talent Acquisition

Nice back handed "pro" there. Very classy! People care and work hard and are incredibly talented here. They do amazing things to make the world a better place. They are leading the way in ... More

Was a good Company at first.

I worked at Vecna Technologies

Pros

They offer a Very flexible work schedule.

Cons

Never received any negative feedback and was laid off for lack of work.
    Was told you were getting a bonus and never received it.

Feb 6, 2015Director, Talent Acquisition

We apologize that things didn't work out for you, and that there was a misunderstanding regarding a bonus. Here, if the company isn't profitable (only has happened a couple of times in company ... More

Disappointing!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Vecna Technologies (more than a year)

Pros

Great health benefits and flexible schedule.

Cons

Very poor executive management team makes the list of cons too long to list by previous posts/complaints are very accurate.

Stop worrying about your "image" and what a poor online review can do for your outer appearance and start making positive changes from within. Start by evaluating the capabilities of your executive team.

Don't be fooled by the company-sponsored positive posts below. Vecna is in serious trouble.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule and 100% paid health

Cons

Poor management and low company morale. Those of us left after the recent layoffs have already started looking for employment elsewhere. There is no end in sight for this downward spiral.

It isn't what you say, it's all about what you do. The constant e-mails and meetings about great things to come are getting old. None of the exciting things promised since last year have come to fruition and things continue to get worse. It has become almost impossible to do our jobs now that everything has been restricted. How do you expect us to continue to work effectively when I can't even get hours approved for my projects? Instead, I have to go through a checklist of justifications to perform work we've already been paid for and convince a contract manager who has no clue what we're doing that I really do need the hours to do my job. Frustrating doesn't even begin to explain to atmosphere here. The open door policy pertains only to positive feedback. If you have complaints or concerns, they fall on deaf ears or you become one of the casualties of the next round of layoffs. In addition, Deborah Theobald has nothing to do with Vecna anymore yet we continue to market the company at a small woman-owned business. Maybe she saw the writing on the wall when she walked out years ago.

Feb 18, 2015Director, Talent Acquisition

This posting is probably by the same person as many of the other easily verifiably inaccurate postings. Please find another hobby and move on.

Reader, don't put stock in anonymous reviews. A
    ... More

Worst place on earth

Former Employee - Project Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Vecna Technologies

Pros

Profit sharing pays out twice per year (if they have they decide they want to pay)

Cons

Creepy cult-like atmosphere. low pay. management ignores all feedback while insisting they are open to all feedback

start over. This company needs to be razed to the ground so they can start again anew.

Feb 18, 2015Director, Talent Acquisition

Numerous mechanisms for feedback are available. Discussion with or responses to the person around the feedback generally happens within a business day. All this is logged in the company's quality ... More

Not quite as advertised...

I worked at Vecna Technologies full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule.
    Good location, free parking, challenging environment

Cons

As it seems, it was a great company. I wouldn't know about it, but i believe it, however, nowadays Vecna management says a lot of wonderful things. They are all true... up to the point.
    Yes, we had 5 weeks of vacation. That's true, but... no holidays. Which means 2,5 weeks total if you count holidays. Sounds quite different.
    Yes, they do pay for education. That's true, but... 50% if you get all A's and 25% if you get at least on B. And if you work less than 2 years after you get the collegde grant from them, you will need to return it.

Yes, they have evaluations and bonuses based on the employee score. This is true, but... let's say, the attendance and efficiency don't have anything with the resulting score.

Yes, they encourage the employees to be proactive and efficient. This is true, but... people were fired on the basis of being "too active for the team environment".

You got the picture: you are fed with half-truth, and you are presented the other half only when it is way too late.
    A lot of undercurrent is going on, and it seems impossible to avoid it and keep one's honor.

Do not forget that it is a commercial venture, not a TV series. Focus on product and efficiency, not on slogans and fighting under the carpet.

Jan 29, 2015Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for the opportunity to clarify some things. No one is trying to deceive anyone, so we are sorry you got that impression. All policies are clearly documented and everyone is encouraged to ... More

Vecna Technologies Photos