Vecna Technologies Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Deborah Theobald

Pros
  • Vecna allows good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• You have the opportunity to take up to 10% of your working tracked time to do community service (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • First of all, the time-tracking is horribly stressful (in 3 reviews)

• While 40 hours seems reasonable, actually having to track that time, especially as an engineer, is plain silly and draining (in 2 reviews)

Good Career Starter/Career Transition Company

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A place wear you can not know where you want your career to go and they give you to opportunity to shape your goals.

Cons

The lack of structure and processes make it difficult to be evaluated on things that are tangible to your work performance.

Okay Place to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Vecna Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small company with some of well-meaning business goals. Casual work environment, flex time and an abundance of healthy snacks for employees.

Cons

Volunteer work was somehow tied to performance metrics. In my opinion that seems to take away from the free will of service.

I would not recommend anyone to work at or be a customer of Vecna

I worked at Vecna Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good healthcare benefits and flex time. Perks such as free snacks and after-work extracurricular clubs if you are into those things. Used to have really smart people but few are left.

Cons

To start, the company has no strategy and no direction. The owners, who have full control of the company, are unfit to lead a company of this size. The owners spend money on projects/products that are unprofitable and the result is a company that has no core expertise and no profit. The company had a mass layoff in January and as a result, a number of the company's best talents left either during the layoff or shortly after. The company has no clue on who their most valuable people are and made little effort to hold on to their best people. Most of those who remain, especially the executives, are unimpressive, inexperienced, and are too busy fighting over control to fix what's wrong. This is a company that has lost its way. I would not recommend anyone I care about to work there or be a customer.

Advice to Management

Stop with the distractions, i.e. leasing buildings, running parking lots, selling desks. Figure out what you could be great at and work toward that with all of your resources.

Project Manager

I worked at Vecna Technologies

Pros

Very smart people, great benefits. Management working to make improvements this will be helpful as the company moves forward.

Cons

Tough time at the company.

From good to worst

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Vecna Technologies

Pros

None right now. Benefits, I guess.

Cons

Its like sitting on a time bomb when working at this company. You may get fired anytime. Thankfully I left this company before I could be fired. This company was good a couple of years ago but now it has gone bad. Some senior level engineers working here think highly of themselves. The management is taking bad decisions and do not value employees. Talent acquisition takes forever to get to a candidate. The interview can go on for months.

Great Potential to Grow!

I have been working at Vecna Technologies

Pros

Good people, flexible schedule, great potential to grow!

Cons

A little disorganized, a good amount of negativity amongst employees

Great people and culture, questionable management decisions

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people to work with, great work culture and awesome benefits.

Cons

High level management lacks proper direction

Great team members

I worked at Vecna Technologies full-time

Pros

Opportunity to work with smart, talented people. Trusted with significant responsibility early in career. Management is passionate about their values and driven by them. Company felt like it was for engineers, by engineers. Generally pleased with my time there.

Cons

Micromanagement through time tracking was counterproductive. Community service felt more mandatory than like an opportunity. Leadership didn't always create the confidence they had a handle on what would get traction in the market, which sometimes led to lower morale among employees.

Discouraging place to work.

Former Employee - VPS Team in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - VPS Team in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Vecna Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing working at Vecna is the people and the opportunity I had to work to make a difference in the Veteran Affairs Hospitals. I really enjoyed working with the VA staff and the Veterans. The Health Benefits were the best out there.

Cons

Poor upper management. There is supposedly an open door policy to where you can go and talk about concerns that you have, however if it is in contrast with what management wants or if they don't like what you have to say, they will twist it to find a reason to fire you by end of day. The upper management team and HR are extremely unorganized and on a consistent basis get paper worked messed up. It makes you think they don't take pride in their work and don't really care how it effects the people they are screwing stuff up for. They got rid of all the people who kept the company doors open during a mass lay off. Instead of having us move into other roles and help the company expertise grow, and help with the implementation on the commercial side of business. We could have taken our lessons learned and applied them to other departments. When they laid people off no one came to us to ask our lessons learned or any desire to take our expertise and try and learn from the work we did. They did keep a few people from the team but the majority was let go. This is the second time in less than 10 years Vecna has gone through major layoffs. To me that says they have a history of not making wise choices and in the end the employees are the ones to suffer. The people on the VPS team felt very undervalued. We were traveling every Sunday through Friday. We couldn't leave the VA facility till noon so we couldn't catch a flight till 2 or 3 in the afternoon which meant you didn't get home till really late. With all of that travel and never being home they didn't try to do anything to compensate for the 6 days a week and 60-80 hours work week with comp days or pay increases. In addition the average person was making between $45,000 and $50,000. Drastically underpaid for the hours and time on the road. We dealt with it because we enjoyed the impact we were making at the VA. We couldn't do our job without our phones and they wouldn't even help with cell phone bills, all of our equipment computer, phone and hotspots was our requirement to pay all bills and to purchase all equipment.

Advice to Management

There is more than providing meals and a fancy kitchen with salads and activity groups to make your employees feel valued. Make wiser decisions and swallow your pride. The CTO should stick to building his robots and let someone who has ran multiple successful businesses run the company. If he would let those who have expertise in their own departments make the final decisions instead of trying to overrule according to his opinion the company might have been able to avoid the massive layoff they went through. It is sad that I have lost my job but at the same time it is a blessing. Integrity is something that is talked about all the time but when it comes down to it I never saw the CTO actually practice integrity. Practice what you preach goes a lot further in gaining and keeping the respect of your employees than just preaching to them. Expecting it from them but not yourself is not a great way to run a business.

The ship is sinking

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. Relative to other companies I've been at the workforce used to be well above average in dedication, work ethic, and competence.

Cons

Executives, specifically the owner/CEO, have no idea what is going on. They've wasted all their profit on corporate chef's, a "Chief Wellness Officer", a "Chief Fun Officer", building renovations, cultivating bees (seriously), growing a hydroponic garden, and too many more useless things to list. It's one thing to spend money on frivolous things when the company is doing well, but when projects are failing and new contracts aren't coming in it's time to get serious. They had to lay off 20% of the workforce recently and the CEO continues to use this company as his personal playground. The company is in a downward spiral. The best employees are leaving in droves and the new people being brought in to replace them are more interested in playing politics than saving this company. The sales team can't sell. There are no new customers on the horizon because Vecna's name is akin to a four letter word in the industry due to past performances and constant failures to deliver on promises of quality. The other negative reviews here are accurate, the responses you see from the company are a great example of how they deal with problems. They refuse to face the reality of the situation and act like nothing is wrong. The open door policy the CEO loves to talk about is a great way to get yourself fired.

Advice to Management

Sell while this company is still worth anything and pay out profit sharing points. You would finally be doing the right thing for your employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed