Vecna Technologies

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015
4.0

Deborah Theobald

Pros
  • great work/life balance, especially flexibility of work hours and option of working from home (in 8 reviews)

• The culture of community service is great (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The paid-community-service must be spent 4 hours per week, they are not open to 8 hours every other week, making it very difficult to schedule (in 3 reviews)

• First of all, the time-tracking is horribly stressful (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great new HR director

I have been working at Vecna Technologies

Pros

Vecna had a new HR director join the team recently and she is really great. She understand the company culture of "people first." I am really excited she is here.

Cons

No cons. She has really made an impact already and I haven't seen anything to complain about.

Keep hiring great people.

Open to Feedback

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I'm fairly new here and am working to implement more agile process in my group. I think there are lots of great things going on right now and people are really starting to gel on my team. Its good because it means that work is both really fun and we're making lots of progress. I like that we can have both a high-performance and a fun workplace at the same time. I like that we are focusing on paying down some technical debt in addition to new features. One thing too is that people seem to really care here which makes a big difference.

Cons

Not sure I have much to say here. I think Vecna like most places has some challenges, but they seem to be open to feedback and address issues very quickly.

Nothing comes to mind.

Going downhill fast

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Vecna used to be a thriving, idealistic company with good intentions and good prospects. It had a huge contract with the VA that provided the cash for other projects and growth. But this is now in the past.

Cons

Vecna is no longer the company it was or still claims to be. The good employees have left or are trying to leave. The idealism is now viewed ( appropriately so) as BS. Teams cannot deliver viable projects on time or budget and the the general feeling is of disillusionment and frustration. The company had historically paid profit sharing bonuses which helped overcome relatively modest salaries. But as of December 2014, there was no profit sharing. The company is quietly trying to downsize without a formal layoff.

Sales are way off and that group has lost respect since it is viewed as dishonest and unrealistic.

If you are open in questioning management, you could quickly find yourself out of work. The company has missed the mark and it's products are outdated or misaligned with market requirements. But management really doesn't listen to employees, customers or the market.

Vecna likes to hire lots of young recent grads but then does a horrible job of training, coaching and growing their skills. This is a bad place for a first job.

The head of the company, spends much his time
    Locked in his office playing his guitar, or he is working on weird hobby projects. He has a hydroponic garden in the basement and has built a solar powered VW van. He needed to refocus on employees and customers.

Jan 22, 2015Director, Talent Acquisition

We are sad that this is your perspective, we apologize if you have had a bad experience. We believe Vecna continues to be a thriving and idealistic company and is changing the world for the better ... More

Having fun making a real difference in the world

Current Employee - Project Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time

Pros

Vecna has a lot of opportunities for an ambitious person to grow.
    You get to work on exciting projects that make a difference in the world.
    The community service is fantastic, and attracts the right type of people to work at Vecna.
    The clubs and activities help build great relationships if you are into that type of thing.
    Best benefits in the world
    Good supervisors and managers to work with

Cons

Vecna isn't a great place for people who need to be told exactly what to do with every minute of their day.

Bigger Bonus!

positive environment and people, in between small-large company mentality

Current Employee - Software Developer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

friendly people
    positive mindset
    good work-life balance
    good location (right next to the subway)
    good time off and health benefits
    fun clubs

Cons

somewhat outdated tech stack
    salary tends to be on the low side
    being 'excited' is very important

Nov 28, 2014Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for the feedback and all the kudos!

If you are working on some of Vecna's older code and you don't enjoy that, feel free to request a different project, there are numerous cutting edge
    ... More

Great Company Culture

I have been working at Vecna Technologies

Pros

Vecna is creating really cutting-edge technology in the healthcare sector, and the company is growing quite fast.

Good things about day-to-day life here:
    - great company culture; everyone is really friendly, and there are a lot of clubs to join
    - great work/life balance, especially flexibility of work hours and option of working from home
    - casual office dress
    - gives employee's incentives to live healthy lives

Cons

I think Vecna can do more to help employees with their growth professionally. Many people at the company are young, and there are a lot of college/recent grad hires who are really eager to grow. Some ideas to do this would be to hold skills workshops and create space for those in more senior positions to offer career advice for others starting out in their career.

- Creating a structure for employees' professional growth would be great
    - would be nice to have a faster recruiting process - it turns out that Vecna was very interested in hiring me, but after several months of waiting, I thought the company had no interest

Nov 28, 2014Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the suggestions. Vecna has been formalizing career advancement structures for each role in the company and has been asking for feedback from the team on the plan. These have been ... More

good at saying the right thing, not great at follow through at all.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Vecna Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good marketing team, they TRY to be cool. Location is cool.

Cons

A lot of dishonesty and great a hiding it.

People get fired randomly for no good reason.

I was underpaid by about 50-60%.

Tech stack from 2003. Most work can be outsourced to India and should.

Stop hiring secretaries and calling them managers.
    Stop lecturing about ethics and start acting like an ethical company. Managers sleeping with their subordinates is not acceptable.

Nov 28, 2014Director, Talent Acquisition

I apologize that you feel you had a bad experience.

Regarding the vague accusations of dishonesty, since I have no idea what you are referring to it is hard to respond specifically. Vecna as a
    ... More

Lacking management and direction

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Vecna Technologies

Pros

Flexible, smart people, good benefits, desire to be disruptive

Cons

Lack of executive leadership and management. The ship is always on fire. Poor execution.

Define and communicate vision and trust your team in getting you there.

Nov 7, 2014Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for the feedback. Vecna is filled with great, talented, fun, and ethical people, thanks for noticing! Regarding lack of executive leadership, we are sorry you feel that way and would like to ... More

Great place to work

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time

Pros

Leadership continues to push the company in the right direction and really great stuff is happening. Awesome benefits. Fun clubs. I have gotten 6 raises and 2 significant promotions in the last two years, and I never had to ask.

Cons

Seems like there have been some growth related challenges, but sitting here I can't really come up with anything specific. Oh, they haven't been quite as fast at getting rid of people who don't contribute or cause problems as in the past.

I like the new mission statement "Empowering Humanity through Transformative Technology," thanks for the clear vision. Get rid of problem causers faster. There aren't many of them, but it only takes one to negatively affect everyone else's job satisfaction. Otherwise, great job.

Good place to gain experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- flexible schedule
    - great benefits
    - very fun crowd
    - meaningful work

Cons

With the pros listed, there are cons that come with the company - including a counter to the pros above. First, just because the schedule is flexible, some will slack off. Some will claim to work from home, but really do nothing.

Change with no end in sight. Company has been going through make-overs, restructuring for as long as I have been here and there is no end in sight. This leads to lack of stability, roles constantly changing, no one knowing who is doing what or why, and people doing double the amount of work without realizing someone else has done it. It's a mess.

Lack of recognition for non-techs. Unless you are in an engineer position, recognition is tough to get. Even general managers seldom acknowledge management - only the engineers. It's frustrating. We all have worked on a project - business analysts, designers, project manages, sales, contract managers, all. Yet only tech leads and select engineers get kudos.

Salaries below market average.

Keep up the improvement and address cons above.

Nov 7, 2014Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the feedback. A reminder to all team members about qi@vecna.com (anonymous) and the open door policy anytime you need help addressing challenges. Always good to address issues with the ... More

Vecna Technologies Photos