Vecna Technologies Reviews

4.1

Deborah Theobald

Great place to work

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time

Pros

Leadership continues to push the company in the right direction and really great stuff is happening. Awesome benefits. Fun clubs. I have gotten 6 raises and 2 significant promotions in the last two years, and I never had to ask.

Cons

Seems like there have been some growth related challenges, but sitting here I can't really come up with anything specific. Oh, they haven't been quite as fast at getting rid of people who don't contribute or cause problems as in the past.

I like the new mission statement "Empowering Humanity through Transformative Technology," thanks for the clear vision. Get rid of problem causers faster. There aren't many of them, but it only takes one to negatively affect everyone else's job satisfaction. Otherwise, great job.

Solid internship with great people.

I worked at Vecna Technologies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great culture of work-life balance. Coworkers are easy to talk to and work with.

Cons

Lack of learning opportunities outside of what was assigned. Projects tend to move slowly so work got tedious.

Sep 20, 2014Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for the feedback and the shout out on culture and coworkers, we agree that the people at Vecna are great. Typically we hear from our interns that they learned more in their internship than ... More

It's my dream company

I have been working at Vecna Technologies as a contractor

Pros

Good work culture, happy life

Cons

The medical care robot is interesting.

Opportunity and Growth

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I started my career at Vecna and I'm happy I did. There was plenty to learn and lots of opportunities to take ownership of projects and excel. I credit Vecna for allowing me and facilitating the process to becoming a successful software engineer and technical lead. Number one thing that makes Vecna great are your coworkers. They're smart, they care, and fun to work with. The projects are rewarding and fun as well. Can't think of cooler things to work on than robots and fixing the health care system. Flexible time is nice, and I never feel pressured to work during time I'd rather be spending with family.

I think other reviews talk about Vecna's way of hiring young and cheap might have been true, even when I was hired, but there's a bit more to that. First, when you prove that you're capable, the raises start coming in and frequent. Over my time at Vecna my salary has more than doubled. I can't ask for better growth in my career. Also, I think there's a shift happening in the hiring culture at Vecna. The emphasis for the last year or so has been to be more competitive right out the gate. If it happens to be that Vecna hires strongly from MIT or Harvard, it's probably because of the proximity (heck we're in Cambridge - it's right next door).

When I first started at Vecna, I felt like the tech stack we were using was antiquated like the technologies we were trying to replace in health care. Since then, my opinion has changed. I wouldn't say we use a bleeding edge, hipster stack - we need more security and maturity than that in our products - but we are finally in a place where I'm proud of our tech stack. It's nice to finally see front-end-oriented, single page applications that rely on the latest javascript stack.

The culture of community service is great. I have been able to make a huge impact on young kids lives AND Vecna pays for it (up to 4 hours a week!).

Cons

- Some of our internal tools could be updated
    - More project managers for some teams - engineers have been made to do some project management roles that deter from their productivity. (I have heard rumors that this might improve over the next 6 months...)
    - Our growth means that we have to be flexible both in process change and in location change

Sep 13, 2014Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the nice review. Yes, we have had a major push the past several months to update some of the tools we use, and we are adding additional project management resources to all product ... More

It's great place to work

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible timings, great work culture and fun place to work

Cons

salary is not competitive as market rate

Fantastic first job out of college

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Vecna has been a wonderful learning experience so far. Everyone I have encountered is very helpful and supportive. Though I haven't seen other companies, I imagine it's hard to find such smart, nice people. I have learned a ton in my time here, and I imagine I will have great opportunities either to advance at Vecna or to pursue grad school. Finally, the benefits are awesome. It doesn't feel like a job at the moment.

Cons

I guess the only con is a personal pet peeve of mine: some whining (as I think is evident in some of the reviews on this site). People are prone to whine, and a minority of those at Vecna occasionally engage in this negativity. However, whining actually may have its purpose, in that it pushes institutions to be better. On the other hand, it can be a bit annoying when people don't understand how good they have it here!

None for now! Keep up the good work!

Good place to learning coding and improve your skills, but there is no room to grow up after.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some what flex time - you can come and leave work at any time as long as you work 40 hrs a week and at least 4 hrs during day time on Mon-Fri.

Benefits - you don't need to pay for medical or dental insurance for yourself or your family.

People - most of the people here are from MIT. There are other universities present including WPI and RPI. Tech. Leads are the smartest engineers here. Some of them are also very friendly and helpful.

Overall fair work/life balance.

Cons

Short vacation time (5 weeks total but including government holidays which is usually 2 weeks. Thus, only 3 weeks for vacation time and seek days);

Poor management skills on the part of mid-level to upper management. Some project managers just got out from schools with a little or no experience.

No room to grow up for software engineer, at least right now. All technical lead positions are already taken and besides them, there are no senior level positions.

No one in interested in your personal or career growth. There are no place for questions like - "What should/can I do to get to this position/salary?".

Care a little bit more about employees. With mass hiring you expect that you can always replace some people, but keeping your employees happy, so that they won't need to look for other opportunities is also important.

Consider discussing with your employees career opportunities, encourage additional trainings/certifications.

Jul 21, 2014Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. Vecna was founded on the idea of caring about every member of the team and helping them to achieve their maximum potential. Vecna has and continues to offer numerous ... More

Programmer

Current Employee - Programmer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Programmer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Vecna Technologies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Cool projects and wook environment

Cons

Nun that i can think ok

Keep duing what u r duing

I interned at Vecna in 2013

I have been working at Vecna Technologies as an intern

Pros

Vecna is a growing company with a great entrepreneurial culture. Colleagues are great both to work and to hang out with. There are clubs and learning lunches and other ways that create a strong sense of community in the company. Everybody, including senior management, is open and friendly. Vecna allows good work/life balance.

Cons

Another advantage at Vecna is flexibility in schedule. This, however, can sometimes translate into lack of accountability. The startup-like culture has its cons as well as pros.

Keep the open and friendly culture, that's what makes Vecna different.

A beautiful mind, but a rotten heart

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Vecna Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits (as previously covered in other reviews), fantastic employees, and you have the opportunity to work on projects that can help make the world better for all of us.

Cons

For starters, when I was employed by Vecna there was a strong internal push to improve the reviews on this site. Many of the reviews were submitted by employees who believed their reviews would help them gain clout with the company. So read with caution.

As of the time of my separation from Vecna, the CEO had stepped down for personal reasons, and with it the company lost its "heart". Without the yin to the CTO's yang, Vecna became an unhealthy work environment: no structure, two internal "unspoken" hierarchies based on religious affiliation and collegiate alma mater, and being left to follow the whims of a man who is a genius at software development and robotics but terrible at everything else. Provided you played the office politics well (which is extremely difficult because "there are no office politics here at Vecna") and you were either a graduate of MIT, Harvard, or (to a lesser extent) any other ivy league school or a member of the CTO's church, you can go far. If you don't meet this criteria, heaven help you. Vecna's stance on employment is "hire them in bulk, hire them young (so they don't cost much), and don't try to develop them if they're imperfect." Many employees are removed on an annual basis without any formal write-ups or counseling because they can be replaced by the next graduating class (why else would such a small company have such a large recruitment team and only one HR professional?) If you are considering working for Vecna, enjoy the benefits, make connections with some incredible people, and keep your resume current because this is not a company anyone will retire from.

Bring back the yin, and believe in your employees like they believe in your vision.

Mar 4, 2014Director, Talent Acquisition

Wow, ouch. I apologize, but need to set the record straight on this. This review simply isn't consistent with reality.

I agree with your point about not trusting content on social networking
    ... More