Vecna Technologies Reviews

Updated October 26, 2014
Updated October 26, 2014
4.1

Deborah Theobald

Pros
  • Vecna allows good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• The culture of community service is great (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The paid-community-service must be spent 4 hours per week, they are not open to 8 hours every other week, making it very difficult to schedule (in 3 reviews)

• First of all, the time-tracking is horribly stressful (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to gain experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- flexible schedule
    - great benefits
    - very fun crowd
    - meaningful work

Cons

With the pros listed, there are cons that come with the company - including a counter to the pros above. First, just because the schedule is flexible, some will slack off. Some will claim to work from home, but really do nothing.

Change with no end in sight. Company has been going through make-overs, restructuring for as long as I have been here and there is no end in sight. This leads to lack of stability, roles constantly changing, no one knowing who is doing what or why, and people doing double the amount of work without realizing someone else has done it. It's a mess.

Lack of recognition for non-techs. Unless you are in an engineer position, recognition is tough to get. Even general managers seldom acknowledge management - only the engineers. It's frustrating. We all have worked on a project - business analysts, designers, project manages, sales, contract managers, all. Yet only tech leads and select engineers get kudos.

Salaries below market average.

Keep up the improvement and address cons above.

Great place to work

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time

Pros

Leadership continues to push the company in the right direction and really great stuff is happening. Awesome benefits. Fun clubs. I have gotten 6 raises and 2 significant promotions in the last two years, and I never had to ask.

Cons

Seems like there have been some growth related challenges, but sitting here I can't really come up with anything specific. Oh, they haven't been quite as fast at getting rid of people who don't contribute or cause problems as in the past.

I like the new mission statement "Empowering Humanity through Transformative Technology," thanks for the clear vision. Get rid of problem causers faster. There aren't many of them, but it only takes one to negatively affect everyone else's job satisfaction. Otherwise, great job.

never worked anywhere quite like it

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time

Pros

if you want to be around bleeding edge technology and engineers, this is the place to be. If you believe robotics will have a dramatic impact on our future, Vecna is pioneering many technologies in this arena

Cons

it is a very difficult company to get things done in. the executive team is in-experienced and does not function as a team. owners are brilliant people but have not assembled the right team beneath them. Compensation at Vecna will be and is a disappointment. Benefits and work-life balance is fantastic but not enough to make up for sub-par compensation

bring in new sr leadership beneath owners

Solid internship with great people.

I worked at Vecna Technologies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great culture of work-life balance. Coworkers are easy to talk to and work with.

Cons

Lack of learning opportunities outside of what was assigned. Projects tend to move slowly so work got tedious.

Sep 20, 2014Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for the feedback and the shout out on culture and coworkers, we agree that the people at Vecna are great. Typically we hear from our interns that they learned more in their internship than ... More

It's my dream company

I have been working at Vecna Technologies as a contractor

Pros

Good work culture, happy life

Cons

The medical care robot is interesting.

Opportunity and Growth

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I started my career at Vecna and I'm happy I did. There was plenty to learn and lots of opportunities to take ownership of projects and excel. I credit Vecna for allowing me and facilitating the process to becoming a successful software engineer and technical lead. Number one thing that makes Vecna great are your coworkers. They're smart, they care, and fun to work with. The projects are rewarding and fun as well. Can't think of cooler things to work on than robots and fixing the health care system. Flexible time is nice, and I never feel pressured to work during time I'd rather be spending with family.

I think other reviews talk about Vecna's way of hiring young and cheap might have been true, even when I was hired, but there's a bit more to that. First, when you prove that you're capable, the raises start coming in and frequent. Over my time at Vecna my salary has more than doubled. I can't ask for better growth in my career. Also, I think there's a shift happening in the hiring culture at Vecna. The emphasis for the last year or so has been to be more competitive right out the gate. If it happens to be that Vecna hires strongly from MIT or Harvard, it's probably because of the proximity (heck we're in Cambridge - it's right next door).

When I first started at Vecna, I felt like the tech stack we were using was antiquated like the technologies we were trying to replace in health care. Since then, my opinion has changed. I wouldn't say we use a bleeding edge, hipster stack - we need more security and maturity than that in our products - but we are finally in a place where I'm proud of our tech stack. It's nice to finally see front-end-oriented, single page applications that rely on the latest javascript stack.

The culture of community service is great. I have been able to make a huge impact on young kids lives AND Vecna pays for it (up to 4 hours a week!).

Cons

- Some of our internal tools could be updated
    - More project managers for some teams - engineers have been made to do some project management roles that deter from their productivity. (I have heard rumors that this might improve over the next 6 months...)
    - Our growth means that we have to be flexible both in process change and in location change

Sep 13, 2014Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the nice review. Yes, we have had a major push the past several months to update some of the tools we use, and we are adding additional project management resources to all product ... More

It's great place to work

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible timings, great work culture and fun place to work

Cons

salary is not competitive as market rate

Fantastic first job out of college

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Vecna has been a wonderful learning experience so far. Everyone I have encountered is very helpful and supportive. Though I haven't seen other companies, I imagine it's hard to find such smart, nice people. I have learned a ton in my time here, and I imagine I will have great opportunities either to advance at Vecna or to pursue grad school. Finally, the benefits are awesome. It doesn't feel like a job at the moment.

Cons

I guess the only con is a personal pet peeve of mine: some whining (as I think is evident in some of the reviews on this site). People are prone to whine, and a minority of those at Vecna occasionally engage in this negativity. However, whining actually may have its purpose, in that it pushes institutions to be better. On the other hand, it can be a bit annoying when people don't understand how good they have it here!

None for now! Keep up the good work!

Good place to learning coding and improve your skills, but there is no room to grow up after.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some what flex time - you can come and leave work at any time as long as you work 40 hrs a week and at least 4 hrs during day time on Mon-Fri.

Benefits - you don't need to pay for medical or dental insurance for yourself or your family.

People - most of the people here are from MIT. There are other universities present including WPI and RPI. Tech. Leads are the smartest engineers here. Some of them are also very friendly and helpful.

Overall fair work/life balance.

Cons

Short vacation time (5 weeks total but including government holidays which is usually 2 weeks. Thus, only 3 weeks for vacation time and seek days);

Poor management skills on the part of mid-level to upper management. Some project managers just got out from schools with a little or no experience.

No room to grow up for software engineer, at least right now. All technical lead positions are already taken and besides them, there are no senior level positions.

No one in interested in your personal or career growth. There are no place for questions like - "What should/can I do to get to this position/salary?".

Care a little bit more about employees. With mass hiring you expect that you can always replace some people, but keeping your employees happy, so that they won't need to look for other opportunities is also important.

Consider discussing with your employees career opportunities, encourage additional trainings/certifications.

Jul 21, 2014Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. Vecna was founded on the idea of caring about every member of the team and helping them to achieve their maximum potential. Vecna has and continues to offer numerous ... More

I interned at Vecna in 2013

I have been working at Vecna Technologies as an intern

Pros

Vecna is a growing company with a great entrepreneurial culture. Colleagues are great both to work and to hang out with. There are clubs and learning lunches and other ways that create a strong sense of community in the company. Everybody, including senior management, is open and friendly. Vecna allows good work/life balance.

Cons

Another advantage at Vecna is flexibility in schedule. This, however, can sometimes translate into lack of accountability. The startup-like culture has its cons as well as pros.

Keep the open and friendly culture, that's what makes Vecna different.

Vecna Technologies Photos