Vector Security

CEO

CENTRAL STATION OPERATOR

Former Employee - Central Station Operator in Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Former Employee - Central Station Operator in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I worked at Vector Security full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working for VECTOR SECURITY was an awesome experience for me. I actually saved a few people by dispatching EMT and FIRE DEPT on two separate occasions. Very uplifting for me to help

Cons

ON CALL PHONE everyone gets a chance to get that duty ONCE per month. Seemed like my turn was all the time. Very hard to do after working 3 day 12HR shifts in a row. And the day comes for my two days off and one of my coworkers call out. No breaks. And spending the night in inclement weather to help man the phones for those that couldn't make it in and still have to do my shift! Very hard

Working twelve hour shifts are indeed hard to do. There should perhaps be some type of incentives to help shifts change properly. No one should EVER have to stay one second longer after completing a 12hour shift!

Vector Security Sales Position

Former Employee - Sales in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Sales in Columbus, OH

I worked at Vector Security full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work, great branch manager. Good base income with very good commissions on top of that with full-time benefits. I would recommend this position for anyone in the Columbus, Ohio market.

Cons

No negative feedback what so ever.

No negative feedback, other than they should choose their regional directors more wisely.

Work you until you drop

Former Employee - Life Safety Consultant in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Life Safety Consultant in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Vector Security full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The commission structure is good

Cons

You work for a bunch of "good ole boys". As a female I made the mistake of thinking I could bring them to the 21st century

Let some younger people take over and you get out

Everyone needs a job, but not everyone can work security

I worked at Vector Security

Pros

As the site supervisor, I was able to make the schedule. I had a nice clean place to work, but not all the sites are like that.

Cons

There are no benefits. No vacation time. No sick days...you get the picture. Management would send anyone to the site. Often they would sleep on the job or come in smelling like alcohol or like they haven't showered in days and in a corporate office that is not acceptable.

Start caring about your employees.

McDonalds Would Be Better

Former Employee - Central Station Operator in Warrendale, PA
    Former Employee - Central Station Operator in Warrendale, PA

I worked at Vector Security full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have nothing positive to say about this company.

Cons

Everything about this company is terrible.

If you're like to be taken advantage of and treated like a child, then this is the job for you. The lies start from the moment you apply to be an "alarm dispatcher." This position is a glorified customer service rep. Beware, the lies don't stop there. Vector has a sever staffing issue, not to mention a good portion of the staff they do have are completely incompetent. What do they expect, no ones jumping at the opportunity for low pay, twelve hour shifts, constantly being on call, and being degraded by customers and MANAGEMENT. Vector has had a few decent employees, but don't worry, they screwed that up too. Vector has a three person upper management team that is pure comedy. It's even funnier when they try and process alarms. It's a wonderful system where they berate you for your performance on a job they can't do themselves. The ignorance of management is incredible. Management enjoys taking advantage of people so much they even created a fake title for it, "acting supervisor." This position allows you to help with supervisor work, while continuing to receive the same ridiculously low amount of pay. It's a relatively easy title to get. They have been known to hand it out to the most incompetent of people, they really like their own kind. In the end, the screw over the staff worth having and do a good job securing the people who have no future. It's a relatively smart move on their part. They know the people who work hard are going to leave them anyway, so why not screw them over first. Guardian is less than a mile down the road. They pay more, and they have eight hour shifts. In addition to being the worst place to work, I wouldn't recommend using them as a security company either. Response times are ridiculously low due to a lack of staff, and the majority of the staff they do have being illiterate. I'm sure the company will soon go under, after all, what's an alarm company without people to monitor the alarms. Vector's only saving grace would be to fire the three members of upper management immediately. You can't expect to have a competent staff without having competent management.

My experience at Vector has been awesome and continues to be.

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor

I have been working at Vector Security full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is the only job I've had where I have been given the opportunity to grow, meet the CEO in person, and work with a diverse group of amazing coworkers and people. My suggestions are taken seriously and implemented. My accomplishments and hard work is recognized and rewarded. Vector really cares about its employees and customers in their consistent improvements on both fronts. I really enjoy my job and the people I work with everyday.

Cons

My only con in this job is that it takes 10 years of employment before we get to have three weeks of paid vacation time. For the past seven years I've only had two weeks. Other companies in similar industries offer four weeks right off the bat. I have worked hard to become a supervisor and have less vacation time than some of my employees who have been here 10 years.

Reconsider the paid time off program you have as it's compared to other companies current programs. It can be a real deal breaker for potential and current employees. Especially if they find a similar job in the industry that does offer more paid vacation or better vacation scales.

Good Company

Current Employee - Accounting Staff in Gainesville, VA
    Current Employee - Accounting Staff in Gainesville, VA

I have been working at Vector Security full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My colleagues and the work environment is very welcoming

Cons

I did not get a chance to advance in my career and fully reach my potential

The pay is not very competitive

A lot is expected for very little.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I have been working at Vector Security full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Your peers are very nice and helpful. The company tries hard to boost morale through food-based incentives (to make up for a lack of monetary compensation).

Cons

The management does not inspire confidence and blame is often shifted. There is little personal accountability with little room for growth. Tenure is rewarded even if your performance does not merit it.

Once Great, Now Decaying Company Culture

I worked at Vector Security full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong loyal workers. Decent benefits. Unlimited potential with good leadership. Opportunity to develop long-lasting professional relationships. Opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Weak or ill prepared management. Increasing focus on spreadsheets and counting beans while declining focus on customers and employee. Push employees to point of breaking or even becoming ill without much concern for them. Upper management is deaf. Desire to have a national corporate image is more important than actually strong, efficient productivity. Rampant cronyism prevents the right people from getting into the right positions.

My advice to management is to look up from your spreadsheets long enough to notice the culture that has been created. Remind yourselves on a daily basis that the two most important things in your day are your customers and your employees. Deliver hat the customer wants at the highest level while promoting a harmonious work environment with trust and leadership and you will be amazed at the positive results you will see when you look back down at your spreadsheets. Be sure to to give your employees the tools that they need and the respect that they deserve and they will follow you through the tough times just as loyally as they do through the good times. Advance people that have earned it based on merit and flush the cronyism out as best you can. You can ascend back out of the mediocrity you have fallen into if you can provide actual leadership and serve your employees. Lastly, take a moment to read the company mission statement and decide that these are not just words.

Good for the Average NOT for All

Current Employee - Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer

I have been working at Vector Security full-time

Pros

Can make money out of the gate.
    Good for self starter.

Cons

Long hours
    Little training
    Low on compensation
    Not what I would call a fair place to work if raising a family
    Be careful about the commissions

Pay the performers not just the mangment and make it a team atmosphere.