Vectorform Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.6
Jason Vazzano

1. A place where you aren't just a cog.

Current Employee - Interactive Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Interactive Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Vectorform part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work / life balance, your team and interesting projects are the big pluses at Vectorform. Project work is sometimes intense, but in general is balanced well. When times are pressing on a project, there is a strong effort by others in the company to help out. We have a strong sense of ownership in our work, and because the problems that come up in our projects are often unique and challenging, you won't feel like you are just there to get your widget out the door. Our offices throughout the world all have a lot of individual character, and couture fit is an important quality that we look for in everyone that we bring on. The results show, and we end up with a tight group of people who support and push each other to success. Individuals often add their own touch to each office, and while we work hard, all of us pretty much know how each other plays as well. Final projects look very polished. In general, I have a pretty high sense of pride with the work I have finished here.

Cons

Direct deposit would be great. There is a challenge working on teams spread throughout offices, but in general I think this actually works just about as well as it can.

Advice to Management

I feel like Vectorform has done a great job creating a place to work where we don't feel like anyone is a replaceable cog in the machine.

2. Great place during good times

I worked at Vectorform (Less than a year)

Pros

Open environment working on cutting edge tech.

Cons

Sometimes tight deadlines. Job security could be based on the number of projects sold.

3. Fantastic Culture, and Growing

Former Employee - Interactive Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Interactive Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Vectorform full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is amazing - innovative, creative...everyone loves what they do and the excitement is contagious. It was great being able to work on everything from websites to mobile apps, utilizing the latest technology, always learning something new. Very welcoming environment - the founders of the Seattle office all hail from the Royal Oak office, so there's this sense of "family".

Cons

Salaries could be better - not too competitive for the industry and specifically Seattle. For some, the culture and perks make up the difference. (I know I loved the dogs in the office!) No direct deposit (This may have changed in the last year).

Advice to Management

Keep growing and promoting the Seattle office - there's a lot of hungry startups out there! Stay innovative and invest in your amazing teams and their talent.

5. It's all about the people

Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Vectorform

Pros

From the top down and the bottom up - we care about our team. Everyone gets a say, everyone has a voice, and you are not looked down on for speaking up. You can't put a price on being satisfied at work. You can make all the money in the world, but if you want to drive off a bridge on your way home - it's not worth it. Vectorform is worth it. It's been more than 5 years and I have not fallen out of love with this culture or these people.

Cons

We should promote ourselves better to the general public. While we are actively working on this, a concerted effort from each office is necessary make a valuable impact

Advice to Management

Keep it up - never lose that passion for invention and dedication to our people!

6. A sharp group going places

Current Employee - Interactive Designer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Interactive Designer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Vectorform

Pros

Vectorform is a curious, innovative group of people who fiercely pursue ideas and discovery in technology. What Vectorform is today is a reflection of its employees’ curiosities, passions, and talents. Work hours are flexible and leave policies competitive. Work-life balance isn’t just paid lip service here. You don’t have to worry about being enticed by an extravagant office only to find it’s your prison for twelve hours a day: That’s both because our office isn’t actually extravagant and a huge effort is made to scope out projects with reasonable time expectations. I almost two years, I have’t worked more than about two weeks of long shifts. The atmosphere is fun: Everyone is expected to bring something special to our culture. Each office is small enough that every new hire changes our family dynamic in a new and exciting way. You hobbies and talents will inform your work, and if you have had a previous career in a totally different field, expect to flex those muscles again. We have the flexibility to wear lots of hats on our projects and bring in past skills and experience. I’ve had the opportunity to do the kinds of work a lot of others I know at similar positions at other companies won’t get to do for a long time. This is not a place you’ll go to disappear as a random cog in the system: You’ll be expected to take ownership of your work and make contributions across all departments of the company. Everyone is open and helpful, free with their expertise and advice. Common habits of a toxic culture are conspicuously absent: Egos, abusiveness of any kind, and petty politics are generally not tolerated (from within the company and from clients). Management is transparent - especially about the financial health of the company - and easy to talk to. Unlike others have mentioned, I’ve found performance objectives to be clear, as I had a hand in determining them myself. The company fell far behind for a while with performance reviews, but eventually caught up. Everyone is expected to provide their metrics of performance, demonstrate their achievements, and document their contributions, but you won’t be micro-managed. Nobody should have to ask what you’ve been up to, because we’re all very open and excited to talk with our colleagues about what we’re working on. We trade ideas and offer feedback on all projects, not just our own. In Seattle, where I work, the atmosphere is inclusive and home-y: Everyone is treated like family, and family are included in activities. Dogs are part of the family, and we take classes together, go on adventures together after hours, and cook for each other. You’ll find these common threads across the offices, with some differences.

Cons

Each office has its own vibe, so reviews on culture may seem a little incongruent. You may run into varying work and communication styles across our global offices, which can be an adjustment when you can’t speak in person. There can be a lag in communications because of the time differences, and sometimes I find myself wishing I had access to people on my projects more readily. The Seattle office needs a little love, design-wise. There has been a really good effort by the employees to introduce personal touches with few resources. Overall the space itself has potential, and ideas on a budget are always welcome. Caution: If you just want to put your head down and blend in, this won't be a good culture fit.

Advice to Management

- Direct deposit would be lovely. - The website doesn’t do a fair job of representing the wonderful work we do, and like most well-kept secrets like Vectorform, we need a little help marketing and talking about ourselves. - I’m happy for the opportunities I’ve had to really own the work I’ve done. That’s what I value most in this job.

7. Living on the bleeding edge of technology

Former Employee - Interactive Developer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Interactive Developer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Vectorform full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really loved the great people, fun environment and awesome projects at Vectorform. Excitement of working on the latest and upcoming technologies for the global brands, ability to touch and learn a whole lot of things were second to none. The benefits are competitive. You can get the typical health insurance, 401k and the employee fitness initiatives are fun. Going to conferences can be great if you are lucky or simply earn your right to go. It's a really great place for an internship with many such opportunities and things to learn. The feeling of ownership and responsibility for a project was also quite unique - you get to really own something fully, yet have people to help you out whenever you ask and it is almost always green field engineering where you don't have to parse 20 year old code looking for bugs. Sometimes all that turns into late night marathons, but not so frequent (once or twice a year?) as to really matter and it builds team spirit and camaraderie! It certainly doesn't make you feel like you're in a factory 9-5. Apart from the great development team you get to work closely with some of the best people in UX design, business managers and occasionally go meet your customers at the office, conference or a bar. Things you do and learn at Vectorform open a lot of doors, so if you end up not liking it - your earned skills sell like hot cakes in Ballard! It may feel like a rollercoaster, but it does seem to grow with each incline.

Cons

Sometimes these exciting prototypes end up going nowhere, though you do keep the fond memories of having worked on them. If you wish to own a product long term and make it perfect - you might not get the chance since you typically only get to work on it as long as the clients pay for it, so you might look back at what it turned to and feel like you abandoned your child. Bonuses can be sketchy. Things can seem great but a dry spell in business and you might feel like the toy factory is going out of business and the boss is borrowing money for payroll.

Advice to Management

No advice really, but always thankful for the opportunity to have worked at Vectorform and hoping to be able to work with them if not for them again in the future.

8. Great Culture, Great Company

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Royal Oak, MI
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Royal Oak, MI

I have been working at Vectorform full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture at Vectorform is very special and unlike what you will find at many corporate companies. If you're looking for a typical 9-5, suit and tie, watching-the-clock till you can go home kind of job, then VF is definitely not for you. There is a work hard/play hard mentality and the casual atmosphere, team building events, office dogs, etc. really make going to work fun, rather than a monotonous chore. The people who work here are incredibly talented, passionate individuals who are constantly thinking outside the box. There are no "stupid ideas" at Vectorform - whether you're an intern or a senior manager, you have a voice and are encouraged to use it.

Cons

We've outgrown our current Royal Oak office and have struggled to find room for new hires, parking, etc. However, we're moving into our new headquarters in downtown Royal Oak in Fall 2014 and look forward to having more than enough space to accommodate both employees and clients.

Advice to Management

It would be beneficial to implement more structure and organizational processes as the company continues to expand. Direct deposit would be helpful as well.

A fast paced, innovative environment that encourages creativity, research and challenging work.

Current Employee - IOS Developer
    Current Employee - IOS Developer

I have been working at Vectorform full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful colleagues and a wide range of abilities among co-workers. There are always things to learn, and always things to teach.

Cons

Like anywhere else, crunch time is crunch time.

Amazing potential, but ultimately unprofessional and inadequate management and HR practices

I worked at Vectorform full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the most intellegent and innovative minds in the industry work here. The developers, creative directors and overall skill level of the employees building the digital experience is top notch.

Cons

It is a very "Clicky" environment similar to a highschool cafeteria. Many higher level management personell have checked out in regards to innovating and growing the business and rely of personal friendships, relationships for job security. Very poor communiation of expectations and performance objectives. Hiring and firing decison and made in a very undefinied and subjective manner with no regard to employee input or in assisting employees with improving their performance with tangible metrics. Company often threatens to withold paychecks if adminitrative tasks are not completed. Very arbitrary about what the ecpectations and responsiblities are for employee and little regard for employee retention. salaries are competetive for their midwestern roots, but not for more sophisticated markets. Upper management sees employees as inferior/ "worker bee" versus valued members of the team. Clear that popularity and familiarity with CEO is what ensures job security.

Advice to Management

Communcate expectations better with employees from Day 1. Invest in PROFESSIONAL HR staff, especially when opening new offices. Try and hire people in HR roles that are qualified versus family members.

Vectorform Response

Apr 16, 2014 – HR Director

Thank you for your candid review. At Vectorform, each one of our employees is accountable for setting and achieving goals, along with their supervisor's oversight. Goals are clearly communicated in ... More

Learning At Vectorform

Current Employee - Software Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Vectorform (Less than a year)

Pros

It takes awhile to figure out if a new job is a good fit, as initial impressions can change once the honeymoon phase ends. The company you interviewed for may not quite live up to everything you had seen during the interview. Well, it's been 2 months since I started here as a developer, and I can confidently say that love it. While the company culture is exciting and fresh, and the projects are engaging, one aspect of employment sticks out: Vectorform actively encourages learning. Vectorform recognizes that technology will always, and forever, move forward. To counter this, the company promotes individual growth across all disciplines. As developers, we're asked to attend talks about new platforms, learn the latest technologies and languages, and work on projects outside our comfort zones. Cross department communication shows a similar mindset for the design team: see what others are doing, experiment with emerging techniques, and stay up to date. This is crucial as new skills permeate throughout the office(s) via daily interaction with-in and in-between departments. Often, new platforms have similar implications on both sides of the fence, and designers and developers communicate their knowledge to bring each other up to date. This ups the experience level of the entire company, and keeps things relevant. It's not just staying up to date where Vectorform excels: It's also in fostering a strong mentorship environment. I joined the team with a few years of self taught iOS experience and some varied programming knowledge I picked up in school. While I've worked in interactive media for the past 5 years, my strength as a programmer was less obvious. In my initial interview, I was told that Vectorform didn't care how many languages I knew, so long as I could pick them up fast. It didn't matter that I was self taught or wasn't a coding savant: Vectorform wanted something a bit different in a developer. This approach has worked out well, and I've been shown more than I could have learned on my own by extremely talented devs. I've repaid the team by helping out on some large scale projects, and have even taken on a few of my own. This give and take pattern works out for everybody as knowledge is effortlessly transferred between all developers, regardless of their strengths. While a great company culture and interesting projects make for a solid work environment, the focus on learning is what really draws me to Vectorform. As a developer, we're constantly required to keep up with the times, and what better way to do that then with a crew of developers helping each other out. I hope this is just the start of a long and prosperous tenure, both as an employee and a student.

Cons

While multiple offices are very much a plus as it allows for flexibility and a greater presence, sometimes interoffice communication can be difficult. It's not a big deal once you get used to it, but you have to be ready to work with people around the world.

Advice to Management

None at this moment!

Vectorform Response

Apr 16, 2014 – HR Director

Appreciate your solid feedback!

RSS Feed </> Embed