Vectorform

Great Culture, Great Company

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Royal Oak, MI
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Royal Oak, MI

I have been working at Vectorform full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The culture at Vectorform is very special and unlike what you will find at many corporate companies. If you're looking for a typical 9-5, suit and tie, watching-the-clock till you can go home kind of job, then VF is definitely not for you. There is a work hard/play hard mentality and the casual atmosphere, team building events, office dogs, etc. really make going to work fun, rather than a monotonous chore. The people who work here are incredibly talented, passionate individuals who are constantly thinking outside the box. There are no "stupid ideas" at Vectorform - whether you're an intern or a senior manager, you have a voice and are encouraged to use it.

Cons

We've outgrown our current Royal Oak office and have struggled to find room for new hires, parking, etc. However, we're moving into our new headquarters in downtown Royal Oak in Fall 2014 and look forward to having more than enough space to accommodate both employees and clients.

It would be beneficial to implement more structure and organizational processes as the company continues to expand. Direct deposit would be helpful as well.

A fast paced, innovative environment that encourages creativity, research and challenging work.

Current Employee - IOS Developer
    Current Employee - IOS Developer

I have been working at Vectorform full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wonderful colleagues and a wide range of abilities among co-workers. There are always things to learn, and always things to teach.

Cons

Like anywhere else, crunch time is crunch time.

My first 3 months at Vectorform

Current Employee - IOS Intern  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - IOS Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Vectorform as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I really appreciate the work/life balance here. While everyone really gets a lot of work done, its never frowned upon to indulge in a needed break.

The culture goes beyond the 9 to 5 with BBQ's, Ping Pong tournaments, Board Game and Movie nights, and even camping with fellow employee's.

Vectorform has a strong emphasis on creating a healthy mentoring atmosphere and no one is ever talked down too.

Throughout the company are some incredibly talented people, leaders in their field, and getting to learn from them is a true blessing.

The casual attire and work style allow for me to comfortable at all times while I work.

These and many other things honestly get me up in the morning excited to head into work.

Cons

Id love to see us transfer our source control over to git from svn for the many added benefits git provides.

No Direct Deposit

Thank you for providing a place to work that really is a joy to come to every morning. While I don't have any specific advice I would encourage you to be pro active in always investing in the well being of those you work with and watch the results transfer to our clients. Be active listeners, be humble, and lead by example.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent products, terrible process

I worked at Vectorform as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Open environment made it easy to rub elbows with lots of different people and learn from them, small compartmentalized teams made it easy for everyone to stay on the same page, lots of very talented people

Cons

They're still living in the "hero designer" era, they understand the value of a beautiful UI, but they conflate that with having a great UX, LOTS of big egos

Jun 23, 2014HR Director

Thank you for the review. If you would like to get into more detail, please contact us. Obviously, we aim for everyone to have a voice here, regardless of tenure. Having egos here is not something ... More

Amazing potential, but ultimately unprofessional and inadequate management and HR practices

I worked at Vectorform full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the most intellegent and innovative minds in the industry work here. The developers, creative directors and overall skill level of the employees building the digital experience is top notch.

Cons

It is a very "Clicky" environment similar to a highschool cafeteria. Many higher level management personell have checked out in regards to innovating and growing the business and rely of personal friendships, relationships for job security. Very poor communiation of expectations and performance objectives. Hiring and firing decison and made in a very undefinied and subjective manner with no regard to employee input or in assisting employees with improving their performance with tangible metrics. Company often threatens to withold paychecks if adminitrative tasks are not completed. Very arbitrary about what the ecpectations and responsiblities are for employee and little regard for employee retention. salaries are competetive for their midwestern roots, but not for more sophisticated markets. Upper management sees employees as inferior/ "worker bee" versus valued members of the team. Clear that popularity and familiarity with CEO is what ensures job security.

Communcate expectations better with employees from Day 1. Invest in PROFESSIONAL HR staff, especially when opening new offices. Try and hire people in HR roles that are qualified versus family members.

Apr 16, 2014HR Director

Thank you for your candid review. At Vectorform, each one of our employees is accountable for setting and achieving goals, along with their supervisor's oversight. Goals are clearly communicated in ... More

Helpful and welcoming with a lot of opportunity but terrible location

Former Employee - IOS Intern  in  Royal Oak, MI
    Former Employee - IOS Intern in Royal Oak, MI

I worked at Vectorform as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very understanding of interns coming in with very little experience, very instructive supervisors.
    Easy to work in environment which is very open with beer Fridays and nerf guns.
    Management is very flat with interns being able to contribute in design ideas with the heads of departments.
    Overall highly highly recommend.

Cons

Intern program is disorganized and I was sometimes without a definite task for a days on end occasionally.
    Detroit is not the city for young engineers. Bar scene is not great.
    Hard to transition work relationships to out of work relationships with moderately clique like coworker groups

Management needs to put more investment in terms of time and money in their interns

ok

Current Employee - Web Developer  in  Royal Oak, MI
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Royal Oak, MI

I have been working at Vectorform as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The job was filled wih great people.

Cons

I just think they had unfair expectations.

I don't know

Apr 17, 2014HR Director

Thank you for your review. In order to get better, please contact us with more specifics.

Learning At Vectorform

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Vectorform for less than a year

Pros

It takes awhile to figure out if a new job is a good fit, as initial impressions can change once the honeymoon phase ends. The company you interviewed for may not quite live up to everything you had seen during the interview. Well, it's been 2 months since I started here as a developer, and I can confidently say that love it. While the company culture is exciting and fresh, and the projects are engaging, one aspect of employment sticks out: Vectorform actively encourages learning.

Vectorform recognizes that technology will always, and forever, move forward. To counter this, the company promotes individual growth across all disciplines. As developers, we're asked to attend talks about new platforms, learn the latest technologies and languages, and work on projects outside our comfort zones. Cross department communication shows a similar mindset for the design team: see what others are doing, experiment with emerging techniques, and stay up to date. This is crucial as new skills permeate throughout the office(s) via daily interaction with-in and in-between departments. Often, new platforms have similar implications on both sides of the fence, and designers and developers communicate their knowledge to bring each other up to date. This ups the experience level of the entire company, and keeps things relevant.

It's not just staying up to date where Vectorform excels: It's also in fostering a strong mentorship environment. I joined the team with a few years of self taught iOS experience and some varied programming knowledge I picked up in school. While I've worked in interactive media for the past 5 years, my strength as a programmer was less obvious. In my initial interview, I was told that Vectorform didn't care how many languages I knew, so long as I could pick them up fast. It didn't matter that I was self taught or wasn't a coding savant: Vectorform wanted something a bit different in a developer. This approach has worked out well, and I've been shown more than I could have learned on my own by extremely talented devs. I've repaid the team by helping out on some large scale projects, and have even taken on a few of my own. This give and take pattern works out for everybody as knowledge is effortlessly transferred between all developers, regardless of their strengths.

While a great company culture and interesting projects make for a solid work environment, the focus on learning is what really draws me to Vectorform. As a developer, we're constantly required to keep up with the times, and what better way to do that then with a crew of developers helping each other out. I hope this is just the start of a long and prosperous tenure, both as an employee and a student.

Cons

While multiple offices are very much a plus as it allows for flexibility and a greater presence, sometimes interoffice communication can be difficult. It's not a big deal once you get used to it, but you have to be ready to work with people around the world.

None at this moment!

Apr 16, 2014HR Director

Appreciate your solid feedback!

When work is fun

Current Employee - Director of Development  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director of Development in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Vectorform full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Vectorform prides itself on its team environment, work on cutting edge tech, and "flat" organizational structure. It is a place that you can forge your own path at - just start doing a job and pretty soon it's yours. I've worked at places that were very political or very structured, and while that type of atmosphere provides a sense of security - you always had to be careful not to step on someones toes or were scared of "messing up." At Vectorform, everyone genuinely seems to have your back. From my experience, that is rare and is one of the most under rated company benefit.

Cons

corporate benefit packages are geared toward a younger employee pool - this however is changing as the company grows.

Keep it up!!

Work hard, Play hard

Former Employee - Interactive Project Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Interactive Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Vectorform full-time for more than a year

Pros

The "Intangibles" as they were described to me. This include but are not limited to the following:

-If you get your work done, you don't have to hangout all day just because. This company treats you like a grown up and lets you manage yourself (mostly)

-If you want to go out on a week night, you don't HAVE to be in to work by 9AM on the dot

-Instant access to Seattle's Studio manager, whether you have a question, want to feedback, or just want to talk, the manager was always available and genuinely cared

-Beer is often drank on random Tuesday afternoons or during weekly dice games
    -Weekly dice games

-Company culture is made up of the individuals who work at VF, and VF understands and promotes this idea, the people at Vectorform are really awesome. Vectorform preaches a community and family type of atmosphere, and employees spend alot of time together outside of work which is really cool

-I played gangster rap in my office freely without anyone batting an eyelash. That was cool.

Besides the "intangibles", Vectorform does the following really well:

Latest and greatest technology: Vectorform is constantly adapting and growing their knowledge. They get access to the coolest gadgets before most people in an effort to learn the technology and be a frontrunner as far as agency offerings go. This translates to the average employee as getting to work on emerging technology, so if you like new gadgets, this is the place for you.

Champion good ideas: If you have an innovate idea, thought, or suggestion, these are cherished and championed by Vectorform management

Constructive feedback: This is offered freely, but never taken overboard. Vectorform management genuinely wants you to be armed to do your best

Fun projects/Clients: I can't tell you what I worked on while I was there, but I promise they were top tier clients and fun/challenging projects

Cons

-Agency life: At the end of the day, you're still at the mercy of your client. If you're working with a bad client, days tend to be long. If you're working with a great client, this can be the best job in the world. Vectorform also did a pretty good job of rewarding employees who were working overtime.

-Startup mentality: Although Vectorform is 10+ years old, they maintain a frugal mentality in a lot of areas. This applies to technology purchases for certain employees, travel expenses, and other areas where companies can scrape a bit to save. To be clear, this is not a huge con, its just something I noticed during my time at the company. These savings also result in generous salaries and rewards.

-Lack of access to upper management: With certain projects come a certain level of executive level management involvement. At times, executive level management was not available to provide needed direction. This was a limited scenario, but at times did cause frustration.

My only advice to management would be to look at the cons above, check in with employees and see if anyone else shares these opinions, and then find a way to mitigate some of them if possible. We all have our own ideas around potential improvements, and these are mine. They very well might not be shared by anyone!

Worked for Vectorform? Contribute to the Community!