Vedder Price Kaufman & Kammholz

Robert J. Stucker

1. Technology Support Specialist

Current Employee - Technology Support Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technology Support Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Vedder Price Kaufman & Kammholz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people who work at Vedder are very friendly. The firm allows you to grow professionally and expand your responsibilities.

Cons

Some of the software is outdated. Upgrades are in the works but the roll out of the upgraded software is slow.

Advice to Management

A tuition reimbursement program would encourage employees to seek additional certifications and the firm would benefit from this process.

2. I would take a bullet for my co-workers

Current Employee - Immigration Paralegal in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Immigration Paralegal in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Vedder Price Kaufman & Kammholz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I simply love this place! Great opportunity and efforts are appreciated!

Cons

None thus far. No place is perfect but this firm seems perfect to me.

Advice to Management

Employee matters could be handled with a bit more compassion.

3. Company Review

I have been working at Vedder Price Kaufman & Kammholz

Pros

Professional and specialized staff Pro-active management in areas of General Counsel and HR Open to constructive feedback from employees You're not just a number

Cons

Not really cons as these are things I know that are being discussed and worked on... Better utilization of professional staff More aggressive commitment to change Slow progression on some very basic things

Advice to Management

Your professional and specialized employees have a wealth of knowledge which could really help the firm. Use and embrace it. If it isn't broken, don't fix it should never be the motto to lead a firm. Change is necessary to compete, grow, and meet best practices.

5. Great Working Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Vedder Price Kaufman & Kammholz full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Vedder Price is a great firm to work for. The attorneys are friendly and the administration professionals are approachable and always willing to listen. Great benefits, great work environment. The firm has weathered tough economic times, even expanding its reach to include offices in London and Los Angeles. Knowing you're standing on solid ground is huge, and Vedder Price offers that. For a firm its size, the working relationships at Vedder Price between the people working in different support positions around the firm are surprisingly intimate, which is great.

Cons

As the firm has grown, flexibility in firm policy has waned a little bit, but I suppose that's to be expected.

Advice to Management

I guess I would say that facilitating as much inclusion of the firm's support staff as is possible in terms of the future of the firm as it expands is crucial; communication and inclusion in the process goes a long way in making employees feel valued and appreciated.

6. So far, my favorite law firm in 18 years

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Vedder Price Kaufman & Kammholz (More than 5 years)

Pros

Depends on who you work for. I love my bosses. They treat me with respect, and I have never experienced this at work in a long time. The new secretarial staff supervisor, Anne, is so nice. I never have to work overtime...but again, it depends on who you work for.

Cons

The only complaint that I have is that secretaries can request days off during the weeks of Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years, but you are not always able to get the days off you want due to minimal staffing during the holidays. It is understandable though since everyone wants to take off during the holidays, and work still needs to get done.

Advice to Management

I think management is doing a MUCH better job now that a lot of changes have been made within the firm. Hoping for some more changes, and foresee it happening in the next year or two.

7. Eh, if the money is good

I worked at Vedder Price Kaufman & Kammholz

Pros

Good pay, most people are nice.

Cons

The place reeks of white collar crime. Technology is infuriatingly out of date and dysfunctional.

Not good

I worked at Vedder Price Kaufman & Kammholz

Pros

There were no pros to working at this company

Cons

No teamwork or resources, awful work culture

Not a positive environment

I worked at Vedder Price Kaufman & Kammholz

Pros

- Location/Proximity to the CTA - Vacation/Time Off Benefits

Cons

- Low Morale - Terrible Pay - Stressful Work Environment

Advice to Management

Don't pretend to listen to employees - really listen to everyone and what they have to say.

Non-legal managers and directors are incompetent, under qualified and irresponsible ESPECIALLY in accounting department.

Former Employee - Support Staff in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Support Staff in Chicago, IL

I worked at Vedder Price Kaufman & Kammholz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Close to public transportation in a less crowded area of the loop. Decent places for lunch. Attorneys are down to earth and hard working.

Cons

In a one year period a 30+ year employee embezzled millions, 40+ people laid off, ARDC investigation of unethical billing, misreporting of tax withholding, and the people responsible for all these debacles are still employeed. Need I say more?

Advice to Management

Firm officers need to take off the blinders and stop trusting the same people and clean house. I'm afraid there are still dishonest and incompetent people there that need to go before more damage is done. The attorneys at this firm deserve better staff and support. They have prestigious clients and don't need continual embarrassment largely in part from an incompetent and irresponsible accounting department. The embezzlement, unethical billing and misreporting of tax withholding were all avoidable had the accounting department been staffed with people who knew what they were doing and had the proper controls in place.

11. Don't bother

Former Employee - Docket Clerk in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Docket Clerk in Chicago, IL

I worked at Vedder Price Kaufman & Kammholz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Close to public transportation and decent benefits but they are getting worse as time goes on.

Cons

Terrible culture and morale and management seems to have no clue about it.

Advice to Management

Find out who the terrible managers are and replace them

RSS Feed </> Embed