Veeco Instruments

Veeco Instruments CEO and Director John R. Peeler

John R. Peeler

Not the worst employer

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsDecent salary, vacation and benefits. Working with people creating amazing technology.

ConsUpper management seems overly concerned with the shareholders and market perceptions. A truly successful company would make them happier. Need the courage and finding to complete new projects in a timely manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementFinish what you start. You have great people willing for you who love what they do and would give you amazing products if allowed.

I've had 6 managers, 6 HR directors, exp 10 layoffs and 5 GM's is less than 9 years.

Technical Support (Former Employee)
    Somerset, NJ

ProsFlexibility with working hours. Can travel to see the world. Work with some very good and interesting people.

ConsNo formal training, micro managing, never promote internally, Does not build tools to customer satisfaction. Poor product management. Hires too many chiefs with no Indians. Too much internal finger pointing.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the workers. Promote from within!!! Need ALOT of vision

Sr. Electrical design engineer

Senior Electrical Design Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible work schedule.
    provide a good snack(fruit).

ConsDevelop a new research equipment

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany have failed to present a vision of future and individual ability to individual.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wore many many hats

ProsSmall company site
    No micromanagement
    Close to nature trails
    Good IT help

ConsLack of communication
    Too fast of a transition in the market and need to follow up

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to keep employee's advised

Unstable working environment

Product Design Engineer (Former Employee)
    Saint Paul, MN

ProsNice work partners, nice people

ConsPrepare to get laid off at any time. Very unstable working environment. If has a project, company will hire people; no project, company laid off people. People comes and goes for all of time. Do not expect yearly salary inflation increase. If your salary is not decreased, you are lucky.

Are you kidding!? Don't waste your time unless all you want to do is work there for maybe 6 months to 1 year.

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsNice start off salary within any part of the company

ConsMicro-managing upon Micro-managing upon Micro-managing of tasks and employees all the way down the chain. Until the buck stops where it stops.
    Get rid of employees when management makes bad decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementManufacturing companies such as yours needs to focus on their employees and the market to keep competitive and employees happh.
    Wasting time thinking that companies would be CAPITAL EQUIPMENT each year is very very stupid if you ask me coming from any type of college graduate with a sense of business. Come on!!

good and not so good.

Field Service Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsTeam I worked with were fantastic engineers. My immediate management backed me up when I needed it with a difficult customer.

ConsI was changing to a job which was going to be full time travel. Upper management did not stand up for me against the customer which were using me as a contract negotiation tactic.

The Good the Bad and the Ugly

(Former Employee)
    Saint Paul, MN

ProsInteresting technology. Good people in general. For quite a stretch the profit sharing checks were generous. As the world leader in MOCVD for high brightness LEDs when the market comes back profit sharing will be good.

ConsProfound Lack of vision and leadership at the engineering 'leadership' level. Currently there aren't resources for a lot of product development. Too many chiefs and not so many Indians.

Advice to Senior ManagementA leader is different than a manager. A Ph.D does not assure leadership. In fact there is an inverse relationship between the two. Promote the authentic leader in the engineering department.

If you have other employment options, take them!

Senior Field Service Engineer (Former Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

ProsSalary is average with industry. Profit sharing is above average

ConsToo many politics in the company. Managers and Directors do not support their employees. Definitely a "good old boy" environment. In my situation the manager was very unprofessional, would send inappropriate emails and loudly criticize his employees in a small office where everyone would hear his ranting. Same manager later promoted to Director and still at Veeco, so Veeco must promote this type of behavior.

Advice to Senior ManagementClosely review your managers. Get inputs from their employees.

Good place to tread water

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Somerset, NJ

ProsGood pay and benefits and great technology. Broadly skilled employees provide a friendly work environment. Profit sharing program is very generous.

ConsLittle opportunity for advancement or career development. Leadership is cliquey. Organization Is top heavy and good ideas lay fallow due to lack of resources to execute.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus the organization outwardly. Too much time and energy is spent internally. You should remove at least 1 layer of middle management to improve communication

Worked for Veeco Instruments? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Veeco Instruments reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Veeco Instruments CEO John R. Peeler. All 43 reviews posted anonymously by Veeco Instruments employees.