Veeco Instruments

Be The First To
Add Photos

Veeco Instruments CEO and Director John R. Peeler

John R. Peeler

A good experience and slack life

Senior Electrical Design Engineer (Former Employee) Somerset, NJ

ProsGood people in general. Most people work for technology related engineering without too much paper work.

ConsI agree with profound lack of vision and leadership at the engineering group.
    Maybe CEO doesn't think it is important to get engineer's trust. because frequent laid off.

Always in the dark and wore too many hats!!

ProsCompetitive salary, matching 401K, flexibility, can work from home, free coffee.

ConsSelling products before they are designed. Major pressure and stress to complete the tasks to design/manufacture prior to shipping tools. Everything is a fire and urgent every single hour of everyday. Transition to market is too fast. Very limited resources and we wear many hats.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to communicate to your employees and actually listen to them and give feedback. When we got a new GM he did not even address our site! Too many upper management upstairs just running into eachother. Not engaging the workers at all.

I've had 6 managers, 6 HR directors, exp 10 layoffs and 5 GM's is less than 9 years.

Technical Support (Former Employee) Somerset, NJ

ProsFlexibility with working hours. Can travel to see the world. Work with some very good and interesting people.

ConsNo formal training, micro managing, never promote internally, Does not build tools to customer satisfaction. Poor product management. Hires too many chiefs with no Indians. Too much internal finger pointing.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the workers. Promote from within!!! Need ALOT of vision

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not the worst employer

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsDecent salary, vacation and benefits. Working with people creating amazing technology.

ConsUpper management seems overly concerned with the shareholders and market perceptions. A truly successful company would make them happier. Need the courage and finding to complete new projects in a timely manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementFinish what you start. You have great people willing for you who love what they do and would give you amazing products if allowed.

Sr. Electrical design engineer

Senior Electrical Design Engineer (Former Employee) Somerset, NJ

ProsFlexible work schedule.
    provide a good snack(fruit).

ConsDevelop a new research equipment

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany have failed to present a vision of future and individual ability to individual.

Unstable working environment

Product Design Engineer (Former Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsNice work partners, nice people

ConsPrepare to get laid off at any time. Very unstable working environment. If has a project, company will hire people; no project, company laid off people. People comes and goes for all of time. Do not expect yearly salary inflation increase. If your salary is not decreased, you are lucky.

Are you kidding!? Don't waste your time unless all you want to do is work there for maybe 6 months to 1 year.

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsNice start off salary within any part of the company

ConsMicro-managing upon Micro-managing upon Micro-managing of tasks and employees all the way down the chain. Until the buck stops where it stops.
    Get rid of employees when management makes bad decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementManufacturing companies such as yours needs to focus on their employees and the market to keep competitive and employees happh.
    Wasting time thinking that companies would be CAPITAL EQUIPMENT each year is very very stupid if you ask me coming from any type of college graduate with a sense of business. Come on!!

Good Business - Bad Location

ProsWork life balance, smart technical people

Consbusiness acumen is lacking, decisions take forever, tons of starts and stops

Advice to Senior Managementconsolidate the businesses, create a fundamental engineering team to work across all platforms and be more decisive and communicate more.

If you have other employment options, take them!

Senior Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsSalary is average with industry. Profit sharing is above average

ConsToo many politics in the company. Managers and Directors do not support their employees. Definitely a "good old boy" environment. In my situation the manager was very unprofessional, would send inappropriate emails and loudly criticize his employees in a small office where everyone would hear his ranting. Same manager later promoted to Director and still at Veeco, so Veeco must promote this type of behavior.

Advice to Senior ManagementClosely review your managers. Get inputs from their employees.

good and not so good.

Field Service Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsTeam I worked with were fantastic engineers. My immediate management backed me up when I needed it with a difficult customer.

ConsI was changing to a job which was going to be full time travel. Upper management did not stand up for me against the customer which were using me as a contract negotiation tactic.

Worked for Veeco Instruments? Contribute to the Community!