Velocity Technology Solutions

Updated November 11, 2014
2.4

Velocity Technology Solutions President & CEO Thomas Bruno
Thomas Bruno

Pros
  • The employees actually doing the work and several of their immediate managers were great people to work with (in 6 reviews)

• Good people out side of management to work with (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Lower level management is also terrified of top senior management (in 7 reviews)

• Velocity has had growing pains for over 7 years mostly because of poor planning and execution by the leaders (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Self-directed, Challenging work

Former Employee - Human Resource Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Human Resource Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Velocity Technology Solutions as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Velocity and the Human Resources department were very warm and helpful throughout the duration of my Human Resource Summer Internship. After I became generally acclimated to the internal systems and operating practices my manager let me self-direct my projects and really make my own mark on the company. The consistent feedback was both constructive and helpful as I gained a better understanding of the company and each department's role. At Velocity what you put in to your internship or job is what you get out so if you put in the time and effort you will learn a lot. I am sad that my summer internship is over at Velocity but really am so pleased with my overall experience.

Cons

The cubical atmosphere at times could be very boring but if you are interested and enjoy the work you do the time flies by.

Better communication. Management is putting more efforts toward this but I suggest also involving lower and mid-level employees in some of decision making processes.

A Sinking Ship

I have been working at Velocity Technology Solutions full-time

Pros

Glassdoor is making me enter "at least 5 words" in this section before I can submit it. Here ya go: there are NO pros except PTO.

Cons

Everything. This company is a complete disaster and it starts with leadership. Leadership places ZERO value on human capital. Their outlook: "people are all replaceable." People are quitting left and right, tickets/emails/requests go unanswered, we continuously miss client due dates, and finance requests are never approved. We can't deliver any promises to clients, we have high turnover, and there is never room in the budget to support our commitments. The culture is a nightmare and leadership is very cold. No wonder everyone is leaving. Don't be fooled by these positive reviews - they have HR written all over them.

I think the company is driven so far in the ground that nothing will improve it unless the entire leadership team is replaced.

Nov 18, 2014Senior Vice Prsident Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear about your experience at Velocity. Our leadership team at Velocity is committed to fostering a transparent, inclusive, and engaging environment. We ... More

Same story, different year

I worked at Velocity Technology Solutions

Pros

nothing really good to say about it

Cons

I used to work at Velocity several years ago and it's interesting to read the same issues and horrendous culture still exists at Velocity now, as it did then. Complete cluster. This place will never change unless upper mgmt. goes away...but they won't. I feel for my past colleagues that are still there.

Sep 29, 2014Senior Vice Prsident Human Resources

Over the last two years, the senior leadership at Velocity has made a significant investment of time, people, and financial resources to create a stronger culture and more rewarding workplace ... More

Lack of Communication Is Abysmal

I have been working at Velocity Technology Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some very great and innovative people. The pay and the benefits are not bad either. Leadership was pretty hands off, but I'm not sure that's actually a pro. Most seem only interested in ensuring their positions and could care less about your growth.

Cons

Communication only seems to be through Yammer or NuView. Only seems to be interested in growing through acquisitions and their disregard for employees is palpable. It's a guessing game as to who will be here from one day to the next.

Try talking to your employees every now and then.

Sep 9, 2014Senior Vice Prsident Human Resources

While the two star rating is certainly unexpected and disappointing, we must admit that we are particularly surprised by your focus on internal communications as part of the basis for it. We've made ... More

Promising

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Velocity Technology Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most of upper management is friendly and approachable. And the management team of the department I work in, make me feel appreciated. My manager trusts me to own and create my work process and listens to my suggestions for my growth as an employee. I feel like I am being set up for success in my chosen field of expertise. My manager is a role model and inspiration for me to improve myself as an employee.

Cons

The new hire process can be intimidating and difficult. There are too many applications related to my own work responsibilities plus internal/HR/Velocity applications related to compliance, pay, benefits, goals and objectives, etc. Even seasoned employees are having trouble navigating the jumbled web, or explaining to me how to do it.

Internal applications (i.e. service req's) use terminology that is not intuitive and makes assumptions about the user’s knowledge.

There is sometimes a lack of communication regarding internal changes.

Don't leave new hires out there to figure out everything on their own. This will slow down production. Each department could have a standard list applications that a new hire will need to get their job started and hit the ground running. A new hire cheklist for example. One could be a list of what they need to do their job. The other list could be internal/HR/hire on related.

Sep 9, 2014Senior Vice Prsident Human Resources

Thank you for providing your feedback. We appreciate your observations on the on-boarding process. Please know that we are continually looking for opportunities to make it more efficient ... More

Ever changing...

I have been working at Velocity Technology Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* Options to work remotely
    * Benefits/Pay
    * Co-workers - great people to work with
    * Opportunity for career changes - move horizontally or vertically within company
    * Training opportunities
    * Company learns from mistakes and makes changes
    * Fast paced, never bored

Cons

* Need more skilled, self-motivated workers
    * Family feel replaced with more corporate feel
    * Identifying needs of managers - have invested in management training, but some need people skills (and some are great!)
    * Team initiatives can be too numbers driven. We should be more consistently focused on the people, internal and external customers. Happy people give better results (and reviews).

Each manager should be required to sit a full day with each of their employees to simply observe. They could witness the workload and see what is needed, rather it be skills training, time management, more employees, new or improved processes.

Sep 12, 2014Senior Vice Prsident Human Resources

Thank you for taking the opportunity to provide us feedback. As you can imagine in a company growing as fast as Velocity we sometimes do not get it right the first time. It is great to hear that ... More

Very fast growing company with focus oin innovation and employee experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Velocity Technology Solutions full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This company is growing very fast and creates a very exciting and dynamic environment to work in. There are constant opportunities for personal growth and being promoted based on achievements. Its also a company that is innovating new ways to do our jobs and improve customer experiences which makes the day to day work very exciting!

Cons

All of the change is challenging. This company is growing so fast it causes a lot of structural changes that upset some of the lower performers, but if you are a high performer all of these growing pains are actually excellent opportunities to build your career off of.

Work-life balance could always be improved, so please keep doing the programs you have started (like FitBit, lunch and learns, Great Places To Work Surveys, etc,). They give me confidence that everything that is happening will be continued and improved upon continually.

Sep 12, 2014Senior Vice Prsident Human Resources

We appreciate your feedback and support. Velocity is always seeking to improve the employee’s experience which includes their personal and professional ambitions. It is within our culture and DNA of ... More

Challenging Fast-Paced Environment

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

This position has allowed me to learn not only about ERP software but has given me insight into infrastructure, marketing and ITIL. It allows for schedule flexibility to help find work /life balance. And the people I work with aren't just co-workers, they are family.

Cons

The biggest challenge can be the time demand. While there is schedule flexibility, there are times when problems arise and everything must be put on hold until the issue is the resolved. This is just the reality of working for an organization that supports companies who run 24X7 operations and is global.

Great place to work, great benefits

Current Employee - Confidential in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Confidential in Denver, CO

I have been working at Velocity Technology Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are an experienced professional I believe this has it all just about. Great benefits, great working conditions. When I say "experienced" the reason is that most people - at least where I work, need to know what they are doing, and if they do we do our work where the attitude is "get the job done no one needs to look over your shoulder". Pretenders won't last long especially if they come in misrepresenting their skill set. I think that's a good thing.

Cons

We are so busy not much time for training to expand skill set and maybe work on different projects, but my manager is supportive of that so I trust it will happen. In the meantime I focus on the positives.

It would be nice to have more interaction with upper management - as someone else wrote "us vs them" was listed as a con.

Sep 12, 2014Senior Vice Prsident Human Resources

Hello and thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your recognition for our employee’s experience and benefits. With the help of our employees providing us feedback and suggestions over the ... More

A TRUE Review

I worked at Velocity Technology Solutions full-time

Pros

Let me start by saying I agree with the individual that mentioned in their review the following: "First of all, the four reviews below look like they were definitely created by Velocity HR or senior management. The way they are written and how they vary so significantly from the other reviews is questionable." This is almost certainly true.

Now the reviews that are before this one were more than likely from folks from the newly acquired company at Velocity, meaning they have yet to experience the truth.

The pros can be summed up in 1 word, opportunity. This is great for someone who may be new to their area or for those looking to expand on their skill set. Now the bigger question is WHY are there so many opportunities? This is because your team is understaffed, so nobody is there to do the work anyway, or they don't have the skill set. In any case, this is the nicest Pro you'll find here.

Benefits aren't too bad, they match a percentage on the 401k, they do semi-annual bonuses (BUT, this becomes a Con because they're not paid out fairly). Oh they also give you a fitbit, suppose that's a nice Pro.

Cons

Now for the Cons. The absolute biggest Con here?....also can be summed up in 1 word....UPPER MANAGEMENT. I'm not referring to the manager, or even your team/departments Director, I'm referring to the top. Velocity has such awesome potential to be an excellent place to work full of opportunity and plenty of solid employees BUT, the leadership is failing badly. Now if they're reading this their first response will be that this is a growing pain of the business, it is NOT. Decisions are made in this company based on things such as what someone saw on tv, read in a fancy tech article, or what they heard a client or friend was doing with their business. They do NOT make decisions based on what's best for the company or the business itself. Not to mention they hire and let go of mid to upper management (i.e. Directors, VP's, Sr. Managers) like they're going out of style. At the end of the day employees are left asking themselves 1 major question "What am I working toward?". How can a team be successful if they go through 3+ different management members in the course of a year!? Guys this is technology, it can be done 10 different ways, and each 1 of those management members you brought on has a different way to do things. So as an employee you work toward one way, then eventually have to switch to another view, then another, and it becomes a sick cycle.

Lower level management is also terrified of top senior management. Terrified to the point that they give in to any and all demands as they fear for their jobs.

Now the morale in the company is awful. Employees are just not happy and this unfortunately does not include the most recent acquisition because they haven't seen everything yet.

HR is very unprofessional here as well, it's quite sad. Not only are they oblivious to what's really going on in the company but they too take part in fueling the fire here. It's also unfortunate to see how much private information ends up getting disclosed by HR "accidentally".

Another favorite con of mine, everything is a high priority, and I mean EVERYTHING. Half the time as an employee you don't know where to begin. Now if they weren't so understaffed this may not be an issue.

My biggest advice? Pass the torch and take those certain individuals with you. The company cannot grow or have true success until this is done. More advice:

-Don't run the company like a tyrant, be a true leader.
    -Hire more people to the appropriate teams that need it.
    -Allow the leadership you bring in to do their jobs otherwise, don't hire them and do it yourself.
    -Stop letting great employees walk out the door.
    -Bring in HR staff that are working FOR the employees and listen to their concerns.
    -Bring in HR staff that understand confidentiality.
    -Be open to opinions and suggestions from those who specialize in their areas, rather than make decisions based on what YOU think is best. It's better to have 10 ideas a the table to decide on 1 then to decide on YOURS and just follow it because you're determined to tell everyone you know best.
    -Add leadership that encourages it's team, pushes them to be their best, is open to opinions/suggestions, and has a team goal and mindset in mind. NOT management that yells and screams on conference calls, demands things get done right away, and makes employees feel like garbage.
    -Encourage folks to have a work/life balance and NOT force them to waste their time at all hours of the night or weekend
    -Encourage a happy and friendly work culture in your offices, they're so dull and quiet and boring, what sort of work environment is that!?
    -Encourage your leadership to do well and bring ideas to the table, not create a work environment where they're terrified of you.

Sep 3, 2014Senior Vice Prsident Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to hear you felt the opportunity provided you with the ability to expand your skill set. We strive to offer new opportunities to our employees. The advice ... More

Velocity Technology Solutions Photos