Venables Bell & Partners Reviews

3.3
Bob Molineaux

1. <3

I have been working at Venables Bell & Partners

Pros

Nobody has heart like Venables does.

Cons

Salaries should be much higher for lower-level folks.

2. Great people and culture, tough work life balance and low salaries

I have been working at Venables Bell & Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the people at VBP - it's an environment where if you're a jerk you stand out pretty quickly. The creative teams do great work, producers get stuff done and account/strategy work closely with each other and all other departments.

Cons

The agency pays significantly less than other agencies, high-level management do not take the time to get to know the more junior staffers. That can make it easy to feel like a small fish lost in a big pond. I've seen many people leave from burnout - people are often given more than they can humanly manage and this shows.

Advice to Management

Put time into getting to know all of your staff because if the person at the top knows your name and a bit about you, that breeds loyalty and makes people feel valued.

Weigh all factors

I worked at Venables Bell & Partners

Pros

Pros were that most of colleagues felt the same way I did, so at least I had a team

Cons

Low salary, lots of gossip

VBP is a great agency for hands-on learning experience, but expect to work more for less pay.

I have been working at Venables Bell & Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

On top off vacation time and personal days, VBP give all employees Christmas through New Years off. Prepare to gain great exposure to the various aspects of the ad world, but pay attention and take notes--no one will spell it out for you later. Everyone loves the free pizza Fridays and half day Fridays throughout the summer!

Cons

There is a very obvious divide between those who have been there for a while (years) and those just joining the agency--and within that divide the culture becomes cliquey. I had been at VBP for a couple of months and had someone who had been there two years tell me that they don't bother getting to know new people anymore because they don't expect you to stay. If you are shy person, good luck. Prepare to become a jack of all trades--VBP is very understaffed. Much of the reason I was attracted to VBP was because of the boisterous, creative, friendly, and family-like culture that HR had sold me on, but I haven't really felt like I've really been a part of that here.

Advice to Management

There is more to being a leader than just telling people what to do. Take an active role in EVERYONE's development. Some of us don't like the lime-light and being the center of attention, but are no less important.

6. A bustling, energetic, fun place to work with some organizational challenges.

Former Employee - Strategy in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Strategy in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Venables Bell & Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employee culture -youthful, friendly, energetic A commitment to good creative/smart solutions Well staffed on most accounts

Cons

Trying to keep up with the changing digital landscape High turnover in the recent past, leading to organizational challenges

A great learning experience in a fun environment, but not very well managed.

I have been working at Venables Bell & Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a fun, creative environment to be in and all of the teams are really close. VB&P also usually offers almost two weeks off during Christmas, which is really generous.

Cons

VB&P is very low on resources across many departments- creative, account management, etc. This can put a very intense strain on the employees and require longer hours than most are capable of. The pay is also very low for the hours.

Advice to Management

Put more time and effort into making the employees happy from the bottom-up. A lot of care is taken with the senior employees who have been around for a long time, but it is often at the expense of those at the bottom. Look into how you structure your departments and teams more carefully to make sure the employees aren't stretched too thin to really do their best work.

When they lost the culture, it wasn't worth the pay

Former Employee - Account Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Venables Bell & Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture used to be the best in the industry, but after losing a few clients and a lot of great talent it went downhill fast.

Cons

All of the OG's left, as did the culture of the place. The hours are ridiculously long without the pay to back it up or thank you's from the executive team.

Advice to Management

Get to know everyone in the agency.

9. Great people, great work, hard working

I have been working at Venables Bell & Partners full-time

Pros

Integrity from top to bottom, creative and interesting work

Cons

The salary is poor across the board unless you are a valued freelancer or creative or in a senior position.

10. Very fun, relaxed atmosphere, great people. Hours can be long.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Venables Bell & Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Seems like everyone at Venables is fun to hang out with and it's small enough where you know most people by name. As a result, after working there for 6 months or so you feel like you've gained 100 new friends.

Cons

Creative teams are worked pretty hard, but I think that's typical for advertising. Weekends, long nights, etc. Some of the clients they go after are not what I would be excited to work on, but some are cool too.

Cool, fun agency, but miserable work-life balance

I worked at Venables Bell & Partners

Pros

- Young, exciting ad agency vibe - Big-name clients - Cool, modern offices - Free snacks all over the agency, refreshed throughout the day - Great location near Union Square - Free beer on tap on the forth floor - More free snacks! - Every water station has fresh lemon wedges - Free pizza, stacks of it, served weekly

Cons

- Weight gain from all the free snacks and pizza ;-) - Some of the longest workdays I've ever experienced - Lower salary, combined with the late nights, is a double whammy - Employee turnover seems high, as with most ad agencies - Open-plan office feels vibrant, but I found it noisy and distracting, affecting productivity - Laptops are standard issue, which sounds great, but meetings seem routinely full of distracted people, head buried in email - Seems like a fair amount of junior, inexperienced staff - Can feel chaotic and amateur - Some abrasive, disruptive personalities at junior and mid level - Account management sometimes seems like they're feeling their way through the dark - Human Resources seems misguided and out-of-touch

Advice to Management

I would suggest a new game plan regarding Human Resources. It seems like much of the negative attributes of the agency could be addressed by an effective HR. Focus on the issue of long hours and the pay structure.

RSS Feed </> Embed