Venafi

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015
4.5

Jeff Hudson

Great small company with huge potential

I have been working at Venafi full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of interesting challenges. Things are happening quickly so never the same thing twice. No sacred cows, no "well, we've always done it this way". But also a lot of work and having to figure things out on the fly. Not a typical 9-5, but also good flexibility from management and a great group of peers.

Cons

Information is not always organized. Lots of remote employees so can make things a bit more challenging for communication/team building. HR function is immature so you often have to be very patient or just figure things out for yourself.

Keep listening - to team and to customers.

Great technology; average leadership...

Current Employee - Information Systems Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Information Systems Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Venafi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Venafi solves real problems for the enterprise. Great Customer Service and Support for our large enterprise customers.

Cons

Benefits are covered by company, but coverage is average. Culture of self preservation and scarcity mentality are unintended messages delivered by leaders.

Learn to fail fast and admit to mistakes. Set realistic growth objectives based on the market and data from the business, not some arbitrary revenue goal to support an inflated operating budget. Honest and transparent communication with employees.

Up and down (more down than up, recently)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Venafi full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Venafi has been a great place for me to learn and grow in my career path. My time at Venafi has been a great experience in working with a good team, improving my own abilities, and sometimes actively helping the company grow. Venafi will help you grow in your desired career.

There are some great leaders in Venafi's ranks. These are the kind of people that you would want to work with just about anywhere.

Cons

Venafi has lost a lot of good people in the last year. This is at least partially due to a change in upper management. Many people keep quiet about their opinions in meetings, and then bash on management decisions when speaking privately outside of meetings. It seems that people are afraid of speaking their minds.

Venafi's 'TMS' (Team Member Services - basically HR) group often makes uninformed decisions and then doesn't understand when employees express displeasure with what was done.

It feels like Venafi's culture is shifting toward one where you don't question management. If you have an idea, don't expect it to be listened to, even if it appears that managers are taking your suggestion into account. Their plan is already in motion and it's too late for you to do anything about it.

Fix Venafi's culture. It is suffering badly. Fixing the culture does not include things like expensive team building activities or all-company meetings. Fixing the culture in this case means that everyone in upper management needs to start actively soliciting opinions with the utmost privacy and promises that there will be no retaliation of any form for an honest opinion (even if it's negative). Don't just say that it's the employee's job to tell you when things are bad - it is also your job to keep on top of the team's pulse.

Start caring about your workers more. This is a good place to start in fixing the culture.

Best challenge I have taken in my career, and more upside in personal growth than I thought!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Venafi full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Venafi has a very dynamic and fast paced culture, that is entirely focused on success and achieving our goals. I have never seen a privately held company with more potential. Our massive customer list would make any startup jealous and confirms the value of our software Platform. Venafi is going to be the next big cybersecurity company to blow up, and I know it! I am so glad that I get to be part of such an amazing team of talented professionals.

Cons

We are a privately held startup that has to perform. With great success comes great responsibility, but every department is on their game and working toward the same goal. Secure and protect our customers, and all else will follow, our customers are our number one priority with every decision we make.

Great place to make money!

I have been working at Venafi

Pros

Fast growing market, solid product that works, premier set of customers & great management = formula for sales success and the ability to make a lot of money!

Cons

The market is growing at a rapid clip but Venafi still has to educate to ensure customer success. Normal for this stage of market but something that has to be part of the sales process.

Growing company, amazing environment, customer-focused

I have been working at Venafi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The autonomy that Venafi gives its employees to innovate, work hard, and deliver value for customers is refreshing and unique. The start-up mentality (open, transparent, and collaborative) coupled with the tremendous success the company is experiencing makes for a very exciting place to work.

Above all, the company values the customer and makes it a #1 priority to make the customer successful.

Cons

Normal pains of a growing company. Ebbs and flows in the market have at times created uncertainty about the growth rate of the company, but the trajectory has continued to be positive.
    Career development and personal employee training has lacked somewhat.

Develop employees to take over larger roles and greater responsibilities in the company.

Transparent, intensely focused

I have been working at Venafi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Team work is the operating system. Great vision. Dedicated to customer success

Cons

Most of the G2000 are just starting to understand the extent of the problem we solve. Still doing education. This is frustrating at times because we see the cybercriminals attacking and some prospects are focused on less critical issues. Better be goo at articulating a security vulnerability, have the desire to educate and change peoples minds. There is no "mine is better than the other guys" kind of selling. Hard , sometimes frustrating, and rewarding.

Keep sharpening the approach to educating the market

Incredible team and cyber security solution, with brilliant leaders

Current Employee - Sales Director
    Current Employee - Sales Director

I have been working at Venafi full-time

Pros

Simply put, the best executive team I've ever worked for. Moreover, while the product is established and proven, yet the product itself has evolved more in the past 12 months than in the previous few years. Venafi truly puts the success of it's clients as job #1. And that's super refreshing to know as a sales professional - that the entire company has your back to deliver world class dependable solutions to your customers. It's a fun, hard working environment at Venafi, as the company continues to nearly double each year. I love it here.

Cons

The security problem Venafi solves is still surprisingly new to many comapnies. Makes for a complex sales cycle.

Keep up the great work driving us forward.

Systems Engineer

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Venafi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Venafi's CEO is the best company leader I have ever worked with. He is extremely genuine, transparent, and caring, with an extreme focus on making customers successful which leads to a successful and rewarding work experience.

Cons

Rapidly changing market and technology - difficult to react to market changes as the pace necessary to stay in front.

Keep up the great work.

Amazing Company and People!!

Current Employee - All Areas in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - All Areas in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Venafi full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I would echo much of what has been said about the company: Great work/life balance for a 'startup.' GREAT team members who make it a pleasure to come to work every day. Amazing leadership that is open and to the point, we all know what and how we contribute, clear projects, we have lots of fun together.
    When our team members come from other locations you remember how much you miss seeing them and spending time collaborating and sharing fun.
    They entire company has this respectful, passionate, energetic, open, transparent, communicative, creative, innovative and smart culture that unheard of.
    It often does not feel like work. I genuinely love coming in and working on a ton of projects knowing that I leaving knowing I have accomplish amazing work that has contributed to the success of the company.

Cons

Lots of change and Evolving technology. But I love the challenging learning curve.

Please take this amazing culture and ensure it scales as we grow.

Venafi Photos