Vencore

Updated January 20, 2015
Updated January 20, 2015
2.5

Mac Curtis

Pros
  • Work life balance (as many others say on here) is really exceptional (in 5 reviews)

• There are some really good people working at the SI (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has very little idea of how everything works at the lower levels (in 7 reviews)

• Valley Forge is dying and headed for mass layoffs (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Experience

I have been working at Vencore full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Vencore is humming. We've gone through the typical M&A activities and the future looks bright. The executive team is beginning to invest in areas that will contribute to growth in the future and we are anticipating growth, upwards of 20% in FY15. The staff is motivated, optimistic and all very helpful and welcoming. Have had a fantastic experience since joining the organization several months ago and looking forward to contributing to Vencore's future success.

Cons

Surprised I'm saying this but there arent many cons. This is a government contractor wtih projects that very often require high security clearances. The wait for these clearnaces can be long but fortunately there are many opportunitites, systems and processes available to keep employees busy during clearance waiting periods.

Continue to invest in your workforce and communicate the direction of the organization. That way, leadership can focus on ensuring their objectives are in line with the strategic direction of the organization. oh and, keep up the good work.

Program Manager

I have been working at Vencore

Pros

Good management, decent benefits, aggressively going after new buisness

Cons

New company going through pains of putting 2 2000 person organizations together and working out all integration issues.

Better support for off site employees

Awesome team at Melbourne Location

Current Employee - Junior Java Developer in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Junior Java Developer in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Vencore full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is mature, much older crowd. Things got done, no one complained, very pleasant and paid time off and unpaid time off was great for my schedule.

Cons

Technology is outdated, no one is actually interested in programming, most people there have families so they just work 9-5 and don't care really about improving processes, so there's not a lot of room to really grow as a programmer to learn really advanced stuff. Test team was treated no so great, but they were another company.

None really, everything flowed smoothly

Finding Its way in a competitive market

I have been working at Vencore

Pros

The newly merged company has a variety of technically challenging and interesting projects. Programs span several government agencies, including the IC and DoD.

Cons

The consolidation of facilities across the company, including the deconstruction of the Valley Forge site, is almost draconian. The current program relocating personnel from VF to the DC area is the latest example of the lack of regard the corporation has for its dedicated engineering talent.

Recent initiatives made the company more competitive. But as the economy improves, attrition will be a major problem.

Not great, but not terrible either

Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Vencore

Pros

Lots of opportunities to do new things and for growth

Cons

Benefits are bad and pay isn't great, ultimately this company seems to care more about bottom line and chooses to hire cheap rather than hiring the best and brightest
    Has a definite butts in seats feel

Challenging

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Vencore full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoy the work environment and people.

Cons

Work can de tedious at times.

Stay Away!

Former Employee - Staff Systems Engineer in Valley Forge, PA
    Former Employee - Staff Systems Engineer in Valley Forge, PA

I worked at Vencore

Pros

Good work/life balance.
    The employees that are left.

Cons

If you are considering working for this company, go with your Plan B! The morale is unbelievably low. All the CEO and upper-management is focused on is making profit for the company that owns Vencore and ultimately packaging up the company for another sale. The CEO could care less about his employees. People are dropping like flies. There is absolutely no budget for training and growth. They claim to have 40+ years of experience; however, they have lost all that knowledge through attrition by leaning, greening, laying off...and most importantly by people leaving because they realize how bad it is.

Consider leaning and greening yourselves. Good luck with Project Eagle.

What happened to our legacy?

Former Employee - Engineer in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Vencore full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has a tremendous legacy of providing high-caliber engineers who helped our country win the Space Race. Seriously, those super senior guys are some of the most brilliant and innovative engineers and scientists I have ever met and I learned so much from them. They still are an inspiration to me. However, the company is so concerned about getting low rates on contracts that they have slowly laid off their deep bench of expertise. Only a couple of those truly experienced engineers are still left.

Cons

I left Vencore over a year and a half ago right before the first mass exodus of mid-level employees. I still have many close friends and colleagues who still work for the company and it sickens me to see how the company has changed. I did receive many growth opportunities during my first year of employment, but by the time I left the company was in financial crisis. They could no longer provide growth opportunities nor invest in retaining me anymore.

Veritas, the private equity company owners, are all Ivy League educated Manhattan bankers. One would think that a bunch of highly educated, successful men would know how to run a company but sadly they do not. Save money by outsourcing HR, finance, and IT. You don't need expensive onshore resources to perform those functions. Cut the fat in business development. Instead, invest money into your employees' professional growth. Right-size salaries and pay professional engineers what they're worth. Retain and incentivize your "high potential" mid-career staff by paying for performance. Hold executives accountable for delivering profit. None of the current executive staff would last beyond one fiscal quarter in any commercial company. Partner with a reputable Big 4 consulting company to redesign your business operating model. Read what is written about your company on opinion sites like this one and take it to heart.

Good company undergoing a lot of changes with its new acquisitions of other companies recently

Current Employee - Principal Network Engineer in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Network Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Vencore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good people and friendly work environment.

Cons

Executive management teams seem disorganized and not aware of how to run the company while integrating other companies into the organization.

Stop, Listen, Pause and request feedback from employees. Learn how to keep valuable employees.

Vencore encourages further education and certifications; and managers are more than willing to assist.

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Vencore full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive Tuition Reimbursement.
    Great amount of Paid Time Off
    Management is approachable

Cons

Does not have specific job tasks, more of a learn as you go.