Ventana Medical

Ventana Medical Reviews

Updated Jun 9, 2014

Ventana Medical President Mara G. Aspinall

Mara G. Aspinall

Pros:
  • "There are a lot of great people that work here"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Great healthcare benefits, friendly work environment, heavily focused on cultural beliefs such as speaking up and keeping the customer in mind"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Due to the demanding nature of the work there is little work/life balance"
    in 3 reviews
  • "High turnover rate and slow to fill positions"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

On Balance a Great Place

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsCompany's mission, improving diagnostic for cancer patients, really motivates you to work harder. The leadership team has continued with the founder's passion successfully.
    Competetive Salary (Even in Silicon Valley). Excellent Benefits (401k and Medical Insurance). But if earning money is your only goal you would do better to look else where.
    Challenging Work. Although this is Ventana Medical, This is really a division of Roche Diagnostics, which is a behemoth of a company.

ConsThe company is very process oriented. This is really a necessity for FDA regulated companies.
    Not a Startup Culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Mixed review; Very bright people to work with, great mission but short sighted when it comes to its people

ProsHealthcare benefits, mountain view and quiet area of town, great people, feel the mission

ConsFast paced so heavy workload and stress level so not great work/life balance with high turnover and low morale, very slow to hire, much more difficult to get in from outside, few promotions or succession planning, Roche 'layers' substantial

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to treat ALL employees as the #1 resource of the company--top priority even over products and profit

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great Company

Senior Research Associate (Current Employee)
    Oro Valley, AZ

ProsGreat Salaries, career advancements, atmosphere

ConsNone that I can think of. Best place I've ever worked at.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work!

Project Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Tucson, AZ

ProsThe mission and vision of the company are amazing! The pace is fast and you are always busy.

ConsThey tend to put too much on people without providing additional resources. People are over worked and stressed.

A good place to learn PDP and GMP

ProsCultural values that promote being above the line and thinking customer. A data driven company that excels at what it does and part of big mother Roche. Excellent benefits and competitive compensation.

ConsHigh turnover rate and slow to fill positions. Promotions are little and few.

Great Place, but...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsReally great people there. They care a lot about you. Passionate about what they do, and that they are working to help cancer patients worldwide.

ConsUpper Mgt seems misguided on how to impact the marketplace. Recent separation of Mrktg/Sales from the main Ventana going to Roche corporate have created gaps and uncertainty.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the focus on the PASSION, but rely on your employees more to provide insight.

Ventana Medical Systems is one of the best Medical Devices employer!

Scientist (Current Employee)
    Tucson, AZ

ProsThe company highly values and invests in Research and Development. Being the market leader in Tissue Diagnostics, this company can dictate the technology and new product pipeline in the industry. The salary is fair and Tucson is one of the best places to live in the country weather wise. The company has flourished under the Roche umbrella while keeping its own identity and that is what makes this company a great employer for anyone interested in Cancer Biology, Biochemistry and Biomedical Devices!

ConsThere are no major downsides, the biggest one being you need to be placed high enough in the hierarchy to receive bonus and stock options.

Good company to work for

Quality Assurance (Former Employee)
    Tucson, AZ

ProsStrongly believe in cultural beliefs. Believe and encourage work life balance. Emphasis on health

ConsPromotions are very competitive and difficult to achieve

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Ventana is a place of opportunity.

ProsVentana offers the unique opportunity to directly see how your work can impact a patient. The company's benefits and salaries are competitive. The culture is good - people regularly laugh during meetings. It's a stable industry and a growing company.

ConsThe pace of work is very fast. Much is expected of employees. It is difficult to get hired because they have their pick of candidates.

Was awesome...turned into roller-coaster

ProsBest products compared to competition, patient focused, invests heavily in R&D to bring the absolute best products to market for the safest and best possible care in cancer

ConsVery low earning compared to other device/capital companies, continuous changes to comp structure, leadership turnover, realignments of territories and also jobs happen yearly, dis-trust of leadership breeds very low morale among employees

Advice to Senior Managementget out into the filed and listen to the employees, their customers, etc. rather than hiring an outside company to reallign and resturcture. Leaders need to communicate more, establish trust, gather feedback on managers from subordinates

Worked for Ventana Medical? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ventana Medical reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ventana Medical CEO Mara G. Aspinall. All 53 reviews posted anonymously by Ventana Medical employees.