Ventana Medical

Updated August 26, 2014
3.7

Daniel L. Zabrowski
1 Rating

Pros
  • Healthcare benefits, mountain view and quiet area of town, great people, feel the mission (in 6 reviews)

• Company's mission, improving diagnostic for cancer patients, really motivates you to work harder (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance became difficult with the numbers needed (in 5 reviews)

• High turnover rate and slow to fill positions (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Tipping point from start-up to global conglomerate passed...but still a great place!

Current Employee - Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Ventana Medical full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The culture can't be beat- it's embraced by nearly every employee. The products are best-in-market and getting better. Top-notch science and experience- such that even Roche's pharma competitors are in long lines to sign contracts with Ventana for companion diagnostic work.

Cons

The Roche acquisition changed the color of things at Ventana; we're not a scrappy start-up anymore. We went from biggest fish in a small pond (something to hang your hat on) to tiny fish in a big ocean ($500m revenue is a drop in the bucket to Roche Dia's billions). Still vital, and absolutely crucial to Roche's diagnostics portfolio, however. Many people are seeing the recent consolidation of commercial operations to Indianapolis as a death knell; those people don't realize that Ventana is more than US commercial operations. Sorry to see friends go, but it's optimizing operations and freeing up space for Development, Manufacturing, Marketing and other global organizations to grow. Many of those leaving already have jobs in Indy, so net job loss is minimal.

Transparency is King, particularly in challenging times such as we're in now with some recent high profile departures.

It is a great company to gain an understanding of medical protocol and good manufacturing practices.

Former Employee - Quality Engineer, Associate in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer, Associate in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Ventana Medical full-time

Pros

There is a lot of communication between different teams in order to promote progress in projects. Most of the employees are very experienced because they have been working there for quite some time.

Cons

A few of the employees who have been working there a long time are not very accepting of ideas proposed by people who have not been working there quite as long, which can slow down project progress.

Growing company

I worked at Ventana Medical full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Great people. Collaborate spirit.

Cons

Processes still being developed and improved.

Be more transparent to where the company is headed and what that means for each individual contributor.

Was a good company in the past...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Ventana Medical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to begin a career. Good learning opportunity.

Cons

All the good talent has left or is in the process of leaving. Roche and management has killed any innovation left in this company. Downsizing and centralizing of departments to Roche headquarters will limit your advancement if you plan on staying in Tucson.

Not quite draconian but getting close

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Ventana Medical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Job with benefits in Tucson, nice overall facility, coworkers in departments outside of Operations (manufacturing) seem to be much happier and more or less content.

Cons

Operations management has adopted a Dickensian attitude towards the workers and staff. Not a very pleasant work environment, almost no chance for advancement or raises, no bonuses below scientist level but helltopay if the quota isn't met by department and if that means you'll pull long (uncompensated ) days to hit their bonus numbers... oh well. Overall >very unimpressive.
    Starting the structural organizational dissassembly of the franchise that is pretty typical of big pharma.

I had an excellent experience working for these people :)

Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Medford, OR
    Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Medford, OR

I worked at Ventana Medical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The quality of the people working there and the joy that everyone had.

Cons

Honestly couldn't say there were any. Anyone could always use more benefits :).

Great job you guys keep up the good spirit :)

Applications Specialist

I have been working at Ventana Medical

Pros

Open environment to share ideas and exchange information.

Cons

Excessive paperwork and regulation. Sometimes it seems the company is more motivated by profit than actually satisfying customers.

Management should consider the sacrifices employees regularly make when review time comes around.

great corporate culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Ventana Medical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

love my team and field employees

Cons

loosing their edge since bthe uy out. no leadership

listen and value your employees, it is too costly to replace them. reward them with the compensation they deserve.

Amazing Environment

Current Employee - Support Specialist in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Support Specialist in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Ventana Medical full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I remember my first day on campus, and the atmosphere was just so completely welcoming. People I had never even met would just walk up to say hi, and it was nice to feel so much like I belong from the first time I walked through the door. Honestly, that is really how it has been the entire time that I have been with Ventana. They manufacture top quality diagnostics products that people can believe in, and that are helping to save lives every day. The most rewarding part of the job is during the all-employee meetings, Dr. Grogan presents the employees with a case study on a patient where Ventana products have helped to save their life with a focus on personalized medicine. It is very enlightening, and it definitely lets you know that you are making a difference in the lives of all patients afflicted with cancer, regardless of your role. Benefits are amazing, and there is a ton of opportunity throughout Ventana and the rest of the Roche community.

Cons

Along with the tremendous mass of those who are welcoming, there are some select individuals that I have encountered that are not, but these are few and far between within the company. Contracted employees be advised, I am currently one and will not be hired on permanently because there is no room in my department. They will contract and anticipate room will open up, but it will not always do so. Do not let this deter you, but if you are contracted, be sure to have a backup plan just in case.

Great Bio Tech company

I worked at Ventana Medical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The core values of the company are as strong as ever, it has a strong future outlook and friendly employees.

Cons

The location is somewhat of a drive for anyone residing in central Tucson and parking can be an issue sometimes.

Management can be a little more appreciative of employees but otherwise no problems.