Ventera

Consultant (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsCompetitive pay.
    Family friendly environment.
    Really bright employees.

ConsNot too many to choose from but there is some weekend work closer to deployment times.

Pretty good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsVenter is a pretty good place to work. The company stands out from most software shops because of its focus on upfront requirements analysis and formal requirements documentation. Overall the company has very good technical skills, with several very good lead programmers and system engineers. The company has the best network and systems configuration folks I've ever seen. Ventera is a very sincere and hardworking group of people. They try to be fair to everyone, customers and employees alike. There is very little politics at the basic employee lever [not sure about upper management -- at least upper level politics never filtered down to my level]. They are normally honest with customers when things are delayed or there are problems. Some projects are managed extremely well. They have a relaxed dress code, flex-time, and free coffee and soda.

ConsMost employees eat lunch at their desk, never together. People are friendly, but usually too busy to socialize turning office hours. Sr. Management sometimes tries too hard to please customers, asking the employees to satisfy sometimes silly or impractical requests ('Customer is always right.") There sometimes very tight , unrealistic deadlines [but that's true of most software companies, right?] Women have complained about the "male dominated, old boy" culture. No women are in any senior management roles. Some projects are not managed as well as others.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnfortunately Ventera has not grown as fast as Sr. Management has wanted. This makes it hard for new people to advance into lead or manager positions within the company. The company often feels like upper management has a firm grip on the top spots and won't let newcomers into the inner circle. Some very talented people have left Ventera for better growth opportunities.

Great work/life balance

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsWork/Life Balance - Ventera is much more focused on the quality of work than when and where it gets done. Very little micromanagement. Humility and geniune care and concern of employees by CEO and some other senior leaders. Strong client delivery capabilities - we do whatever it takes to get the job dones for our clients.

ConsSenior leadership has not led a company through stages of growth or downturns in the economy, which can make it difficult to proactively position Ventera for consistent growth and success. Ventera has had some great years and some bad years. We seem to be significantly impacted by the economy.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire an experienced leader who has helped grow a company to $100M to augment our existing leadership team.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A fun place to work with lots of potential for improvement.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsVentera Corporation is one of the best in terms of work-life balance.
    Ventera has an excellent relationship with its clients, and we have been instrumental in their successes.
    The environment is lots of fun, complete with a new office, free food, excellent availability of technology, and great colleagues.
    It has a unique, entreprenurial environment, where you can basically invent a new line of business from the ground up.

ConsVentera has experienced slowing growth, which may temporarily limit certain career growth opportunities.
    The technology sector is extremely volatile at times, especially to small companies like Ventera.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be more open to new technologies and ideas.
    Provide higher bonuses and larger advancement incentives to junior-and-middle employees for winning work. Don't assume that only BD people can win this work. All employees should be responsible for the growth of the firm, yet few employees are taught to think this way. Publicize these incentives frequently to energize the employees. Those with the right amount of drive will form new ideas which can propel the business forward.

Great....but

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Reston, VA

Prosgreat culture, very nice people, fantastic benefits. being that its a small company, you can learn alot very quickly.

Consits a small company, if some contracts come to an end, and the bench gets a little deep. you will be laid off if not billable. they dont have very many clients, they definitely need to step it up in that regard.

Advice to Senior Managementneed more clients!

Worked for Ventera? Contribute to the Community!