Vera Bradley

Updated September 13, 2014
3.6

Robert Wallstrom
1 Rating

Pros
  • They focus on making connections and relationships with the customers and it really creates a great work environment (in 4 reviews)

• Great product, good pay, The customers are happy pleasant people who make your day totally worth being there (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • They are more likely to hire from outside the company than promote from within (in 3 reviews)

• They bring people into management with promises of advancements and continually hire from outside the company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Vera Bradley part-time

Pros

I love the company and the discounts. I felt appreciated as an employee. My managers and coworkers were fantastic! They were so flexible and encouraging. The customers are nice and passionate about the products. I worked part time and then I worked as a seasonal employee for a few years. They were always so flexible when it came to working seasonal. Overall, I had a great experience at Vera Bradley.

Cons

I don't really have any complaints.

They love their employees and really make it enjoyable to come to work!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Vera Bradley part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay and the managers are amazing and knowledgable!

Cons

You have to be super attentive to detail and everything has to be perfect at all times. Company policy really strives for perfection always.

Store / Sales Associate (Outlet)

Current Employee - Store Associate  in  Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Vera Bradley part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It can be a fun environment to work at

Cons

Currently, sales are down, hours are being cut.

Communication

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not what it seems at all.

I worked at Vera Bradley for more than a year

Pros

Great discount. Pay is above average for retail. Customers are nice and friendly. Team sales versus individual sales.
    A beautiful store with an expensive piece of art on the wall.

Cons

Company fired one of the two Assistant Managers due to a company wide policy because of lower sales.
    In our store they kept the Assistant Manager that had more issues and was less qualified because she had more time in
    her position. BIG MISTAKE. Upper Management does not listen to employees and HR always sides
    with management regardless of the truth. Almost every associate has left and management and HR still haven't addressed the issues. Now that Assistant Manager is a Manager. The tardy policy is a joke, the new manager strolls in late within days of her promotion, however the associates are tardy after 1 minute. A backwards way to set an example.

Don't promote just because someone has been there for years and you fell sorry for them. Listen to the associates in the store. Listen and have your eyes open.The managers are staying in the back and not doing their job. Put cameras in the backroom so managers can be monitored. Have random surveys that associates fill out about management. If everyone is saying the same thing, then it probably is true.

So good in the begging but now scare!

Current Employee - Store Associate  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Vera Bradley part-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly customers that make worth the day. It's "nice & friendly" environment

Cons

Wow so many gossips & complains about everything! Not an open doors company( at least on my store) it all!!!! Afraid to defend our self because we are threatened with dismissal!!
    "Core values" ? hahaha no one is indispensable!
    Unsafe back room!! We have to lift boxes that are incredible heavy!!
    Attendance policy is a joke unless you're a "lucky" and manager "cover" you

Please!!!! Send audits!!! Secret shoppers!! Or even surprise visits!!! Please!!!

Great first retail experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Vera Bradley part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a friendly atmosphere to work in with a great discount. Customers are usually very friendly and it is easy to create good relationships with everyone you come in contact with. Team selling and no commission means no competition with your coworkers.

Cons

There is little to no room for growth in the company. When a new management position opens up they almost always hire from outside the company. Attempts at saving money for the company have really affected how the company treats the employees (hours; also recently every store had to "let go of"/demote an assistant manager because the company didn't want to pay their benefits anymore.) No holiday pay.

Go back to being a "Girl's Best Friend" to your employees. When changes are made (ie the return policy) make sure everyone is on the same page. Customer service has to back up what policies are being used in the store, instead of rolling over for a customer and making the associates look like "the bad guys"

Gossipy and Odd

I worked at Vera Bradley full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ostensibly it is a lovely environment. The paid time off policy is decent and the insurance is good as well. A real effort was made from the corporate office to make employees happy (free stuff, treats, birthday cards with a small bonus.)

Cons

A lot of time at the store I worked in was devoted to gossip and drama. I observed blatant discrimination against disabled workers, including selective time card editing in order to mark a disabled worker as tardy when able bodied workers had their tardies erased. The loss prevention practices are so lax they are a joke. The "girls best friend" mantra was used as a hammer to criticize employees who were not interested in discussing sex lives and weight loss at work. Just about all floor sets are plan o gram. There is a truly odd tardiness policy that allows the company to terminate a full time employee for being one minute late less than once a month over the course of a year. I had the least tardies of anyone in my store, but it was a bit nerve wracking!

Introduce and enforce standard HR policies, as well as promote an open door policy. Do away with the bizarre tardiness policy and the ability to selectively edit timecards. Scrutinize what your managers are actually doing. CCTV is not a bad thing in a retail store.

Not a girls best friend

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Edison, NJ

I worked at Vera Bradley part-time for more than a year

Pros

the discount is 50% off, including sale if you're into Vera. Easy to become manager, just enroll in the training program that's announced on their thread which all employees have access to.

Cons

There weren't enough hours, if you were lucky you got ten hours a week. High hour (11.55) and no hours, so it may as well been minimum wage. Gossip and prying was also a problem. My co-workers loved to talk and talk about each other. If you don't offer up certain details of your personal life they begin to pry. I left when I found out they were asking one of my co-workers about me when they didn't get details from me.

Be professional just because you don't care for someone personally does not give you the right to treat them badly professionally.

Great

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Jackson, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jackson, NJ

I worked at Vera Bradley part-time for less than a year

Pros

Best group of people I've worked with. Stuck to companies culture and values and worked well with availability. Best customer service I've been around. Taught to be a "girl's best friend".

Cons

None, I loved working for Vera Bradley and would do it again full time.

Excellent company gone totally rotten

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Vera Bradley full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture and core values of the company were the reasons I wanted to work at Vera over any other company.Very good pay scale compared to other retailers. Benefit package was great until last year when health insurance took a nose dive and got very invasive. Sales associates were wonderful girls but some groups tended to be like high school and very cliquey. There was the in-crowd and then the others. The product was fun and easy to sell. They guests were so nice for the most part.

Cons

The biggest challenges are definitely the upper management. Store managers only look out for themselves. They create a divide and conquer atmosphere in order to feel like they have control. They encourage the team to "report" on each other. They play favorites with both associates and management team - keeping some out of the information loop. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing at corporate. Too many differing directives that totally contradict and waste time. Too many last minute emergency desperate decisions for floor changes to try to grab sales. Stores know best what's selling but are not given any leeway to act on it. It should not be a one size fits all strategy - we're not all the same. Unsafe working conditions both in backroom and offsite - accidents waiting to happen. Definitely not a "girl's best friend" atmosphere or policy any more. New regime is only focused on the $$$ bottom line. Employees are leaving with a bad taste in their mouths. Recent ASM job eliminations created way too much stress for whole team and was handled very very poorly by HR. Sales plans are unrealistic when every specialty store, online and outlet returns go against the daily numbers.

Wake up! You're losing the wonderful company that was created by two considerate women. You're also losing great employees. When the guests find out all the awful changes coming you will lose them also. Get your HR people some sensitivity training on how to respectively and HONESTLY deal with employees. Corporate needs to have one spokes person relaying information down to the stores about any changes and in a timely manner - no more last minute emergencies because they failed to plan. Stop sending Emails to stores about how corporate employees are out enjoying their holiday weekends - your employees in the trenches don't need to here that. Create an environment where sales plans can be achieved and keep morale high. Vera is no longer set apart from other retailers because all the positives are being eliminated. The recent WSJ article was less than flattering.

Worked for Vera Bradley? Contribute to the Community!