Vera Bradley

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael C. Ray

Pros
  • They focus on making connections and relationships with the customers and it really creates a great work environment(in 4 reviews)

• Great product, good pay, The customers are happy pleasant people who make your day totally worth being there(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • They are more likely to hire from outside the company than promote from within(in 3 reviews)

• They bring people into management with promises of advancements and continually hire from outside the company(in 3 reviews)

Great first retail experience

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsIt's a friendly atmosphere to work in with a great discount. Customers are usually very friendly and it is easy to create good relationships with everyone you come in contact with. Team selling and no commission means no competition with your coworkers.

ConsThere is little to no room for growth in the company. When a new management position opens up they almost always hire from outside the company. Attempts at saving money for the company have really affected how the company treats the employees (hours; also recently every store had to "let go of"/demote an assistant manager because the company didn't want to pay their benefits anymore.) No holiday pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to being a "Girl's Best Friend" to your employees. When changes are made (ie the return policy) make sure everyone is on the same page. Customer service has to back up what policies are being used in the store, instead of rolling over for a customer and making the associates look like "the bad guys"

Gossipy and Odd

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOstensibly it is a lovely environment. The paid time off policy is decent and the insurance is good as well. A real effort was made from the corporate office to make employees happy (free stuff, treats, birthday cards with a small bonus.)

ConsA lot of time at the store I worked in was devoted to gossip and drama. I observed blatant discrimination against disabled workers, including selective time card editing in order to mark a disabled worker as tardy when able bodied workers had their tardies erased. The loss prevention practices are so lax they are a joke. The "girls best friend" mantra was used as a hammer to criticize employees who were not interested in discussing sex lives and weight loss at work. Just about all floor sets are plan o gram. There is a truly odd tardiness policy that allows the company to terminate a full time employee for being one minute late less than once a month over the course of a year. I had the least tardies of anyone in my store, but it was a bit nerve wracking!

Advice to Senior ManagementIntroduce and enforce standard HR policies, as well as promote an open door policy. Do away with the bizarre tardiness policy and the ability to selectively edit timecards. Scrutinize what your managers are actually doing. CCTV is not a bad thing in a retail store.

Not a girls best friend

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Edison, NJ

Prosthe discount is 50% off, including sale if you're into Vera. Easy to become manager, just enroll in the training program that's announced on their thread which all employees have access to.

ConsThere weren't enough hours, if you were lucky you got ten hours a week. High hour (11.55) and no hours, so it may as well been minimum wage. Gossip and prying was also a problem. My co-workers loved to talk and talk about each other. If you don't offer up certain details of your personal life they begin to pry. I left when I found out they were asking one of my co-workers about me when they didn't get details from me.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe professional just because you don't care for someone personally does not give you the right to treat them badly professionally.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Jackson, NJ

ProsBest group of people I've worked with. Stuck to companies culture and values and worked well with availability. Best customer service I've been around. Taught to be a "girl's best friend".

ConsNone, I loved working for Vera Bradley and would do it again full time.

Excellent company gone totally rotten

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe culture and core values of the company were the reasons I wanted to work at Vera over any other company.Very good pay scale compared to other retailers. Benefit package was great until last year when health insurance took a nose dive and got very invasive. Sales associates were wonderful girls but some groups tended to be like high school and very cliquey. There was the in-crowd and then the others. The product was fun and easy to sell. They guests were so nice for the most part.

ConsThe biggest challenges are definitely the upper management. Store managers only look out for themselves. They create a divide and conquer atmosphere in order to feel like they have control. They encourage the team to "report" on each other. They play favorites with both associates and management team - keeping some out of the information loop. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing at corporate. Too many differing directives that totally contradict and waste time. Too many last minute emergency desperate decisions for floor changes to try to grab sales. Stores know best what's selling but are not given any leeway to act on it. It should not be a one size fits all strategy - we're not all the same. Unsafe working conditions both in backroom and offsite - accidents waiting to happen. Definitely not a "girl's best friend" atmosphere or policy any more. New regime is only focused on the $$$ bottom line. Employees are leaving with a bad taste in their mouths. Recent ASM job eliminations created way too much stress for whole team and was handled very very poorly by HR. Sales plans are unrealistic when every specialty store, online and outlet returns go against the daily numbers.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up! You're losing the wonderful company that was created by two considerate women. You're also losing great employees. When the guests find out all the awful changes coming you will lose them also. Get your HR people some sensitivity training on how to respectively and HONESTLY deal with employees. Corporate needs to have one spokes person relaying information down to the stores about any changes and in a timely manner - no more last minute emergencies because they failed to plan. Stop sending Emails to stores about how corporate employees are out enjoying their holiday weekends - your employees in the trenches don't need to here that. Create an environment where sales plans can be achieved and keep morale high. Vera is no longer set apart from other retailers because all the positives are being eliminated. The recent WSJ article was less than flattering.

customers great....the only reason that made it worth staying.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat product, good pay, The customers are happy pleasant people who make your day totally worth being there.

ConsVery poor store management, very political. They move up and give the hours to the favorites. You work hard to never move up. policies continually changing ...so much it was hard to keep track.

Advice to Senior Managementwhen sales associates tell you something wrong is going on or there are situations occurring that shouldn't be they should send someone in the stores to see for themselves.

Best Job Ever

Store Associate (Former Employee)

ProsAmazing discount, great music, wonderful associates, lots of communication, and the clientele (for the most part) is friendly and easy to deal with. Great atmosphere, always something to laugh about, very supportive and understanding team. I never wanted to leave.

ConsThe company isn't very keen on moving people up. I was there a few years and applied for a higher position three times, and was denied all three times. However, they will happily hire someone who doesn't know anything about the company and waste money and time training them from scratch versus promoting someone who's been with the company and knows and understands the fundamentals of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice is to give a chance to the people you already have on hand. There are plenty of store associates who want to move up the ladder. I dreamed of one day managing my own store, but that dream kept getting squashed every time I went in for an interview. Give your store associates a chance to grow in the company, and you will be happily surprised at the results you will receive.

Excellent company

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Skokie, IL

ProsFamily feel, truly cares about team members.

ConsNo grace period if late

"Great Co-Workers"

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Woodbridge, VA

Prosmy co-workers were so friendly and welcoming

Consmanagement was all over the place

mediocre

POS (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

Prospay, discounts, occasional gratuities, humor

Conslack of communication with all employees; only the "charmed" employees are given hours and privileges
    overt animosity shown to co-operative employees
    lack of Core Values being used--and, if an employee uses them, management is unhappy
    too much gossip by staff and management

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the real issues at hand--stop with the personal issues
    Stop sitting in the back office playing games on phones and being on facebook

Worked for Vera Bradley? Contribute to the Community!