Vera Bradley

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael C. Ray

Great workplace environment

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Vera Bradley full-time for more than a year

ProsFamily-like atmosphere, excellent work/life balance, low stress. Amazing employee discount. Higher end retailer with higher end clientele. Relationship building is very important and a huge focus for the company.

ConsNot much opportunity for advancement outside of relocating. Company is still learning to streamline processes so some functions can be a bit archaic and frustrating for managers with extensive retail experience. Competing with non-company-owned stores selling Vera Bradley can be a drag. Those stores will have items on sale that the retail store won't so oftentimes sales can be lost due to discounts offered elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider hiring support personnel in the home office to help streamline special order processes, reporting, etc.

Great culture

Web Developer (Former Employee)
Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Vera Bradley full-time for more than a year

ProsVery friendly environment with a lot of really good people. Decent benefits and great core company values. A lot of fun activities for the holidays and the ladies will love the deep discounts on company product purchases.

ConsA bit limited in being able to offer training and things of that nature and not a lot of room for advancement.

Store manager

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Vera Bradley full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLove working at Vera bradley

ConsI love it. The only thing I can think of is more compensation for the outlet managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. It's good

Not a "Girls Best Friend" any longer :(

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
Detroit, MI

I have been working at Vera Bradley full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay is good and the discounts are great. All store employees across the board are kind, friendly people. The stores are beautiful and the guests are almost always happy.

The new high level management has a good vision of where the company wants to go, however.....

ConsSince the new "regime" has taken over at the upper level it is total chaos at the store level. The employees are currently under a "shock and awe" phase, like deer in the headlights. There is inconsistent communication from the home office, if any at times. Direction comes from many and is often varying. It is very confusing right now. I think they don't know who is doing what and it shows in the daily operations at the home office.

The company has recently decided to downsize the management numbers, which in itself is not that unreasonable. However, they chose to make it a tenuous atmosphere and decided who was going, telling the possible candidates that they might lose their job, but waiting 45 days to tell them who that will be. Talk about a morale killer?! They will lose more employees than necessary just from the way they handled that situation. Again, poor direction from above. Simple communication during the process would have been a better way to handle it.

There are so many changes at the moment it is becoming too confusing to want to stay, which is unfortunate because the people at the store level are wonderful to work with. The company is like the teenager going through puberty and not quite sure how to get what they want. It is total trial and error at the moment - not a great place to work. They are going the way of the publicly traded monster who is there to make more money for the share holder and undervalue those achieving those dollars for them.

Also, their IT has got to be the worst I have ever seen! Always failing, codes don't work correctly, prices ring wrong, etc, ALL THE TIME!!

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to maintain your good people in the trenches get your act together at the upper level! Employees are getting ready to jump ship!! Changes have to be made for sure but they are trying to do too much too fast and it's not working.

If you want to cut costs look to things like quality of bags and boxes with satin ribbon which is free at the moment, water with patterns on it for $25 a case, refreshments to guests at launches, etc.(all completely unnecessary) the list goes on and on at the store level alone. I hate to think about the waste at the home office!!! It's not all in the payroll!!!!!!!

Take a breath and do one thing at a time, it can't all happen at once!

Great place to work

I have been working at Vera Bradley full-time

ProsGood company with great advancement

ConsBenefits could be better. Still a growing company

Amazing place to work

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Vera Bradley part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat company and benefits for employees

ConsI don't have any at the moment.

Wonderful culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Vera Bradley as an intern for less than a year

ProsMom-friendly (areas to pump for nursing mothers)
Terrific employee discounts
Excellent company-gatherings/town-hall meetings
People are friendly and happy to work there

ConsWish they had 2 corporate offices -- one someplace warmer or in a metro area

It has been a great experience up to a year ago, things have changed drastically

I have been working at Vera Bradley

ProsCore Values and Valued Team Member

ConsDoes not seem as if the employee is valued any longer

Stay true to Your Own Values.

I have been working at Vera Bradley part-time

ProsThe pay is good for retail.

ConsHuman Resource department is truly awful. They seem to exist to implement policies to frustrate and devalue employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate to upper management and corporate the issues that cause such issues.

Good company, Bad employees.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Vera Bradley part-time for less than a year

ProsThe company treats their employees well.
Oppurtinities to give to customers.
Great way to work on people skills.

ConsThe current employees do NOT treat the seasonal employees with respect. Seasonal employees are treated as if they're worthless. Girls are very cliquey here and can be very rude at times. Some of the managers picked favorites.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your seasonal employees about how their experience was working for the company. I was waiting for a manager to approach me and ask if I had anything to say but just got a simple "goodbye"

Worked for Vera Bradley? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vera Bradley reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vera Bradley CEO Michael C. Ray. All 48 reviews posted anonymously by Vera Bradley employees.