Vera Bradley

Updated February 18, 2015
Updated February 18, 2015
3.7

Robert Wallstrom

Pros
  • They focus on making connections and relationships with the customers and it really creates a great work environment (in 6 reviews)

• Great discount if you like cotton quilted handbags (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no such thing as "full time sales associate" at this company (in 5 reviews)

• They are more likely to hire from outside the company than promote from within (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Intern

Former Intern - Intern in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Intern - Intern in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Vera Bradley as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Colorful company with constant change

Cons

Employers aren't that friendly

Great college job!

Current Employee - Seasonal Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Seasonal Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Vera Bradley

Pros

Managers who make the job fun, company discount, pay, and hour!

Cons

The training seemed to be more of a "Jump in the water to learn how to swim"

Consider more training for seasonal associates.

Feels like family, just not enough hours

I have been working at Vera Bradley part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-all the women I work with are really nice
    -willing to help adjust shifts if you have a problem
    -good discount (50%)

Cons

-since the store is so small there are not that many shifts, I work 8 hours a week at best during the non-holiday times making it hard get a good paycheck.

Zero drama, great learning experience, helped me find my career focus

Current Employee - Team Lead
    Current Employee - Team Lead

I have been working at Vera Bradley part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Salary and discount, work-life balance, flexible schedule, ability to grow and move upwards

Cons

Hire new manage,net from outside rather than promote current employees

Look at employee goals and achievement and offer promotions rather than hiring from the putside

Good college job

I worked at Vera Bradley

Pros

decent training, friendly coworkers, flexible hours

Cons

strict dress code, not enough space to store product in back room,

Experiencing growing pains

I have been working at Vera Bradley part-time

Pros

Great product and loyal customers. Cpmpany is dedicated to great customer service and building relationships.
    Focused on Core Values.

Cons

Company has done a U-Turn away from their Core Values. New CEO has instituted cost-saving measures that have devalued employees. Stores used to have meetings several times a year that were fun, informative team-building events. We were given formal training and rewards. As of 2014 no more meetings, no training, no gifts. Workforce Management scheduling forces managers to underschedule creating extreme stress on existing employees. Overworked and underappreciated.

Return to former company culture of working within a framework of our Core Values. Workforce Management scheduling needs to be reconsidered. Stores used to be able to earn hours, now employees are having hours constantly changed, and cut. No more meetings means no more team-building. Morale is suffering.

It"s an Exellent place to work

I have been working at Vera Bradley full-time (less than a year)

Pros

everyone who works there are very friendly,training is very easy lead schedules are flexible

Cons

somtimes it could be a lil boring when its slows down because it not much that can be done once everything is all cleaned up.

Strong culture, challenging, rewarding

Former Employee - Home Office Employee
    Former Employee - Home Office Employee

I worked at Vera Bradley

Pros

- Company culture was caring and authentic; the epitome of Midwestern values. Co-workers are more like close friends or family members, and the team/people made it so fun to come to work every day. Most employees you speak with will tell you the best part of their job is the people. The hiring process is rigorous, but they take their time to find the right fit. VB absolutely hires to the job qualifications, but are looking beyond what is on paper to assess soft skills and a person's character and drive.

- Customer service philosophy is outstanding. VB empowers customer-facing employees to meet the needs of the customer in their own caring, creative ways. High standard of customer service.

- The work was always challenging, and we were pushed to excellence by managers and through the performance review cycle. Good work was rewarded. Employees are given yearly goals and projects to achieve. This created a focus and purpose for every employee--from entry-level to mid-management.

Cons

- Some departments seemed to be in a constant state of chaos due to poor resource planning (new store openings, staffing needs).
    - Budget restraints caused some meaningful programs or initiatives to fall by the wayside.

- Keep making high-quality products
    - Keep Midwestern values
    - Invest more in your high performers and create tracks for young professionals

This is one of the best jobs I've ever had.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Vera Bradley part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling if you're in school or have another job
    Very understanding, caring management
    Very clean, safe, and fun work environment
    Decent retail pay plus a great discount and holidays benefits (food, gifts, etc.)

Cons

I really can't think of any except there may not be a lot of room for upward mobility.

Awful!!!

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Vera Bradley part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Starting pay is 11.50 which I think is great for people who have never worked.

Cons

The company is going downhill. Working with minimal hours, only two people in the store half the day. The associate always has to do the work by themselves, while the managers always sit in the back "checking their emails". They want you to be on the customer's back at all times. You get yelled at if you don't ask for the customers full name, home address, birthday, email, phone number. The store always has to be neat, no straps out of place at any point in time. Bags must be aligned perfectly, stuffed perfectly, and no tags showing whatsoever. The core value is literally being "fussy". When you clock in, they quiz you on things ie., "a customer walks in looking for a bag with these specifics, what do you show her and what can you add on so that our sales can go higher?" If you answer incorrectly, they correct you in a very condescending way. They don't care if you're vegan and don't want to be involved with the leather bags. Because apparently as long as money is coming in, who cares about people's ethical views on animal welfare... You also have to be standing at all times. You are not allowed to sit, lean on any furniture whatsoever unless it's on your break. 15 minutes for less than 6 hours and 30 minutes for 6+ hours. Get ready for the leg cramping after 8 hours straight of being on your feet.

Please go out on the sales floor and actually help the associates. There is no way a manager spends her entire 8 hour shift "checking emails" every day.