Vera Bradley

Updated January 20, 2015
Updated January 20, 2015
3.7

Robert Wallstrom

Pros
  • They focus on making connections and relationships with the customers and it really creates a great work environment (in 6 reviews)

• Great discount if you like cotton quilted handbags (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no such thing as "full time sales associate" at this company (in 5 reviews)

• They are more likely to hire from outside the company than promote from within (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

It"s an Exellent place to work

I have been working at Vera Bradley full-time (less than a year)

Pros

everyone who works there are very friendly,training is very easy lead schedules are flexible

Cons

somtimes it could be a lil boring when its slows down because it not much that can be done once everything is all cleaned up.

Strong culture, challenging, rewarding

Former Employee - Home Office Employee
    Former Employee - Home Office Employee

I worked at Vera Bradley

Pros

- Company culture was caring and authentic; the epitome of Midwestern values. Co-workers are more like close friends or family members, and the team/people made it so fun to come to work every day. Most employees you speak with will tell you the best part of their job is the people. The hiring process is rigorous, but they take their time to find the right fit. VB absolutely hires to the job qualifications, but are looking beyond what is on paper to assess soft skills and a person's character and drive.

- Customer service philosophy is outstanding. VB empowers customer-facing employees to meet the needs of the customer in their own caring, creative ways. High standard of customer service.

- The work was always challenging, and we were pushed to excellence by managers and through the performance review cycle. Good work was rewarded. Employees are given yearly goals and projects to achieve. This created a focus and purpose for every employee--from entry-level to mid-management.

Cons

- Some departments seemed to be in a constant state of chaos due to poor resource planning (new store openings, staffing needs).
    - Budget restraints caused some meaningful programs or initiatives to fall by the wayside.

- Keep making high-quality products
    - Keep Midwestern values
    - Invest more in your high performers and create tracks for young professionals

This is one of the best jobs I've ever had.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Vera Bradley part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling if you're in school or have another job
    Very understanding, caring management
    Very clean, safe, and fun work environment
    Decent retail pay plus a great discount and holidays benefits (food, gifts, etc.)

Cons

I really can't think of any except there may not be a lot of room for upward mobility.

Sales associate

I have been working at Vera Bradley

Pros

Awesome brand. Company has truly invested in the time and care into establishing a well known brand.

Cons

Too many young individuals who tend to take their "title"-ex: Floor Supervisor, entirely too serious. They often tend to look down on employees who are "beneath" them, in addition to lacking MAJOR management personal skills, such as learning how to listen to their employees, refraining from gossip while in leadership position, in addition to failing to know how to communicate effectively to everyone!

Manager is Not a Girl's Best Friend

Former Employee - Internal Guest (Retail) in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Internal Guest (Retail) in New York, NY

I worked at Vera Bradley

Pros

I loved the product, customers, and coworkers. Company did reward performance with product gifts. We were able to receive training on new products online and with print material. This helped us feel prepared. Employees were empowered to make the experience wonderful for the guest. I loved my job.

Cons

Our manager was new to the company and new to the position of store manager. He was not trained properly and did not manage the store properly. Our district manager rarely visited our store and did not monitor his behavior, just spoke to him on the phone.
    Store manager is able to come in late, leave early, have visitors and give away product. If an employee noticed he was doing things that were not quite right, he would feel threatened and call the district manager. Attention would be diverted to the employee. The district manager never spoke to the employee or assistant managers, she just took his word. If an assistant manager spoke up, he would write her up or call the district manager. Again she did not investigate or ask others what really happened.

Promote managers from within. They should be familiar with the brand. District managers should be more involved in the opening of a new store.
    You need to go back to the culture and expectations that were present when it was a privately owned company. Internal guest should be held to the standards that were once there. The stores looked better with cleanliness and presentation.

Sale Associate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Vera Bradley part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great Environment
    Takes care of employee, even at the part time level
    Good place to grow
    Good incentives and discount

Cons

Some management level didn't seem like a good fit for the company
    Pay was decent, but not awesome.

Great place to work!

I worked at Vera Bradley

Pros

Flexible, honest, driven by the guest experience.

Cons

Minimum hours seems to be the trend which is understandable due to business needs.

Great! Amazing people and culture. The company is changing rapidly and there are many opportunities to learn and develop

Current Employee - Store Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Vera Bradley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are open, honest and approachable.

Cons

Benefits are changing and not for the better. The health benefits are declining and not what they were two years ago. Training is an opportunity. It needs to be more structured and consistent. It tends to be on the job and in the moment. Could be greatly improved.

Focus more on innovative product offerings in quality fabrications. Would recommend bringing in another designer with fresh ideas to work with existing design team.

Awesome!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, NC

I have been working at Vera Bradley part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay is great! The people are nice! The hours are nice! Managers are understanding and will let you go home early if you really need to and there isn't a huge amount of business

Cons

The schedule needs to be more even for people but there is understanding considering its a new place
    Hopefully there will be more people on the team soon

Great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Central Valley, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Central Valley, NY

I have been working at Vera Bradley part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Really good training, friendly people, flexible managers and hours. Everyone who works there has a great personality and sticks to the Girls Best Friend. I really enjoyed working with the people there even the managers.

Cons

The customers tend to expect huge discounts, and sometimes can fight about it. The scheduling can sometimes be a pain. There aren't too many cons to this job I usually had a great experience working for this company