Vera Bradley

Updated February 18, 2015
Updated February 18, 2015
3.7

Robert Wallstrom

Pros
  • They focus on making connections and relationships with the customers and it really creates a great work environment (in 6 reviews)

• Great discount if you like cotton quilted handbags (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no such thing as "full time sales associate" at this company (in 5 reviews)

• They are more likely to hire from outside the company than promote from within (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Awful!!!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Vera Bradley part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Starting pay is 11.50 which I think is great for people who have never worked.

Cons

The company is going downhill. Working with minimal hours, only two people in the store half the day. The associate always has to do the work by themselves, while the managers always sit in the back "checking their emails". They want you to be on the customer's back at all times. You get yelled at if you don't ask for the customers full name, home address, birthday, email, phone number. The store always has to be neat, no straps out of place at any point in time. Bags must be aligned perfectly, stuffed perfectly, and no tags showing whatsoever. The core value is literally being "fussy". When you clock in, they quiz you on things ie., "a customer walks in looking for a bag with these specifics, what do you show her and what can you add on so that our sales can go higher?" If you answer incorrectly, they correct you in a very condescending way. They don't care if you're vegan and don't want to be involved with the leather bags. Because apparently as long as money is coming in, who cares about people's ethical views on animal welfare... You also have to be standing at all times. You are not allowed to sit, lean on any furniture whatsoever unless it's on your break. 15 minutes for less than 6 hours and 30 minutes for 6+ hours. Get ready for the leg cramping after 8 hours straight of being on your feet.

Please go out on the sales floor and actually help the associates. There is no way a manager spends her entire 8 hour shift "checking emails" every day.

No training, motivation, or leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Vera Bradley full-time

Pros

The office manager is a nice person, and there was a Dunkin Donuts nearby..

Cons

Poor training, No leadership, No structure, Go broke trying to become an agent. There was no interview. "Get this many sales in this much time" or you loose your job, your book of business, your reputation, etc etc etc

Use a systematic approach: hire qualified people to become agents, help them succeed, take part in their training. (If they get any)

mediocre

Former Employee - POS in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - POS in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Vera Bradley part-time (less than a year)

Pros

pay, discounts, occasional gratuities, humor

Cons

lack of communication with all employees; only the "charmed" employees are given hours and privileges
    overt animosity shown to co-operative employees
    lack of Core Values being used--and, if an employee uses them, management is unhappy
    too much gossip by staff and management

Focus on the real issues at hand--stop with the personal issues
    Stop sitting in the back office playing games on phones and being on facebook

It feels very unorganized

I have been working at Vera Bradley full-time

Pros

rate of pay, discount, some stores keep mall hours during holidays

Cons

no/poor communication. Managers that are not "the right person" for the position. growth is causing much unorganization. No time and a half for working holidays

really get it together!! the new CEO I hope will help but sak's off fifth isn't the greatest place either....

Horrible!

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Vera Bradley full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great discount if you like cotton quilted handbags.

Cons

The management is dishonest. They say do one thing and do another. My manager just lied, all the time, never knew what to trust, and he is still running the business.

Ask good questions and listen. Don't take a position then go out to prove you are right. Listen.

Manager is Not a Girl's Best Friend

Former Employee - Internal Guest (Retail) in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Internal Guest (Retail) in New York, NY

I worked at Vera Bradley

Pros

I loved the product, customers, and coworkers. Company did reward performance with product gifts. We were able to receive training on new products online and with print material. This helped us feel prepared. Employees were empowered to make the experience wonderful for the guest. I loved my job.

Cons

Our manager was new to the company and new to the position of store manager. He was not trained properly and did not manage the store properly. Our district manager rarely visited our store and did not monitor his behavior, just spoke to him on the phone.
    Store manager is able to come in late, leave early, have visitors and give away product. If an employee noticed he was doing things that were not quite right, he would feel threatened and call the district manager. Attention would be diverted to the employee. The district manager never spoke to the employee or assistant managers, she just took his word. If an assistant manager spoke up, he would write her up or call the district manager. Again she did not investigate or ask others what really happened.

Promote managers from within. They should be familiar with the brand. District managers should be more involved in the opening of a new store.
    You need to go back to the culture and expectations that were present when it was a privately owned company. Internal guest should be held to the standards that were once there. The stores looked better with cleanliness and presentation.

unique product and humanitarian effort but poor management recruitment who can careless about what the company is about

Former Employee - Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Vera Bradley full-time (more than a year)

Pros

health benefits. regular customers. support breast cancer foundation.

Cons

very very incompetent management team. store that i worked for had no cameras so management team took advantage of it by spending more time in the back office/stockroom majority (85%) of the day. for you GM reading this I just want to let you know they weren't near a computer or a telephone. only time they did their job was when we had a corporate visit.

Not what it seems at all.

I worked at Vera Bradley (more than a year)

Pros

Great discount. Pay is above average for retail. Customers are nice and friendly. Team sales versus individual sales.
    A beautiful store with an expensive piece of art on the wall.

Cons

Company fired one of the two Assistant Managers due to a company wide policy because of lower sales.
    In our store they kept the Assistant Manager that had more issues and was less qualified because she had more time in
    her position. BIG MISTAKE. Upper Management does not listen to employees and HR always sides
    with management regardless of the truth. Almost every associate has left and management and HR still haven't addressed the issues. Now that Assistant Manager is a Manager. The tardy policy is a joke, the new manager strolls in late within days of her promotion, however the associates are tardy after 1 minute. A backwards way to set an example.

Don't promote just because someone has been there for years and you fell sorry for them. Listen to the associates in the store. Listen and have your eyes open.The managers are staying in the back and not doing their job. Put cameras in the backroom so managers can be monitored. Have random surveys that associates fill out about management. If everyone is saying the same thing, then it probably is true.

So good in the begging but now scare!

Current Employee - Store Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Vera Bradley part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly customers that make worth the day. It's "nice & friendly" environment

Cons

Wow so many gossips & complains about everything! Not an open doors company( at least on my store) it all!!!! Afraid to defend our self because we are threatened with dismissal!!
    "Core values" ? hahaha no one is indispensable!
    Unsafe back room!! We have to lift boxes that are incredible heavy!!
    Attendance policy is a joke unless you're a "lucky" and manager "cover" you

Please!!!! Send audits!!! Secret shoppers!! Or even surprise visits!!! Please!!!

Not a girls best friend

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Edison, NJ

I worked at Vera Bradley part-time (more than a year)

Pros

the discount is 50% off, including sale if you're into Vera. Easy to become manager, just enroll in the training program that's announced on their thread which all employees have access to.

Cons

There weren't enough hours, if you were lucky you got ten hours a week. High hour (11.55) and no hours, so it may as well been minimum wage. Gossip and prying was also a problem. My co-workers loved to talk and talk about each other. If you don't offer up certain details of your personal life they begin to pry. I left when I found out they were asking one of my co-workers about me when they didn't get details from me.

Be professional just because you don't care for someone personally does not give you the right to treat them badly professionally.