Veracode Reviews

3.5

Veracode CEO Bob Brennan
Bob Brennan

Great environment

I have been working at Veracode as an intern

Pros

outgoing and friendly culture. Veracoders enjoy what they do and take a lot of pride in the company. There is a social atmosphere in the office and room for advancement in your career.

Cons

great place to work, no cons

Take a look behind the curtain...

I worked at Veracode full-time (more than an year)

Pros

On the outside, Veracode looks like a great security company. It's only after you get in the door that you realize most of the employees, with the exception of the research team, MPT and ASC groups, lack any real-world security knowledge or experience. They have actually started hiring "Security Program Managers" with zero security knowledge. Security companies should have people who know about security. Sadly, the majority of Veracode employees lack this fundamental skill.

Cons

Pay is adequate, but the benefits are pricey, costing about $6,500/yr for family medical/dental coverage. Senior management has their own agenda and they'll stick with it regardless if it negatively affects the company as a whole. ASC team is overworked/over-utilized. MPT team is disregarded as a necessary evil. They've lost numerous top notch manual penetration testers, because they ignore concerns until people get so frustrated they just quit. Their manual pentesting will probably be 100% outsourced within a year or two. They don't want business unless it is work their scanning engines can perform, so any one-off manual stuff is ignored. The services group is poorly managed, numerous missed client calls because of management around the scheduling group. It's a "who you know" environment. If you fit in and are in tight with certain managers, you'll get promoted..otherwise, you'll end up quit due to frustration or get forced out. They have lost upwards of 20-30 employees this year. One team had 7 employees quit in six months, and the team only had 11 employees to start with! If this isn't a sign to stay away, I don't know what is...

What can I say that hasn't already been said by other reviewers? Bob still has his IPO dream which is going on five years or so...Each time he brings it up it's, "in a year or two"...lured in by stock options that most likely will never materialize. Management insulates themselves with "Yes Men". Many of the managers bring in former co-workers from previous companies, which results in a culture of "a thousand companies in one" where each manager does things differently and nobody is on the same page.

Absolute Politicized and Bureaucratic Environment

I have been working at Veracode full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture and work environment outside of team. Involved in hackathons, giving back to community and great efforts for humanitarian projects like blood drives and charity support.

Cons

Company runs absolutely haphazardly.. Engineer and internal teams are least valued in the company. Concept of rock stars is quite dominant and they just continue to get identified and awarded continuously leaving no room for other's efforts to be identified. Compensation is not as great and has terrible perks. Terrible at promotions and the HR is completely blind to understanding even when pointed out that promotions are not based on meritocracy but rather whims of a single person. So if you are looking for personal growth, this will not be the company for u. Quite misleading even to customers since everything is taken care of in the background by services teams and the software doesn't actually quite work as well.

Except for the CEO, the entire management is so incoherent to identify people that are controlling all the decisions and driving the company towards their own benefits rather than the benefits of the employees. They need to wake up if they don't want people leaving the company left and right after the IPO. That is probably the only reason why people have stayed as long as they did.

Good Company, but Bureaucratic and Slow at Times

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Burlington, MA

I worked at Veracode as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Great industry, some of upper management and other employees were excellent to work with. For the level that I was at, there was a very large amount of exposure to the company and its operations.

Cons

Seemed like some of the management disagreed with each other a lot. There also appeared to be a lack of organization at the lower to mid levels of management.

Don't know if this still applies, since a lot of the mid level managers have moved on, but create more synergy in the lower levels.

Aug 20, 2014Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We value your feedback and appreciate your response.

Good Company

I have been working at Veracode full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Solid management team.
    Good work /life balance
    Great place in the market

Cons

so folks have been there too long.

Shake things up.

The Right Market, The Right People, The Right Technology

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Veracode full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Where do I begin! Great space! Security is booming. Amazing cutting edge technology. Market leader. I work in sales and it is a super friendly laid back environment as long as you do your job and perform. Pay is very good from what I have seen. Great salary and commission. Management is understanding and easy to talk to. CEO is a great leader who is driven and also easy to speak to.

Cons

Not much to write here. If I had to say I guess we have one too many meetings then needed which takes away from time selling. Some minimal disorganization internally but always very open to suggestions and are aware of their mistakes.

Keep doing what your doing. Maybe have a few less meetings and do a little less and keep us selling! Other then that keep up the great motivation!

Aug 20, 2014Manager, Talent Acquisition

Overall, it's one of the better companies for which I've worked.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Veracode full-time

Pros

Several highly skilled, smart individuals; stimulating environment for the right person; hot market for what Veracode does (application security testing); good pay and benefits

Cons

Somewhat disorganized management, lots of demands placed on you, not much in the way of professional training.

Eliminate silos and implement more cross-department coordination and communication so the organization can fire on all cylinders efficiently.

Nepotism at its finest

I worked at Veracode

Pros

Good way to gain experience with new technology
    Decent company policies

Cons

If you are not one of the pack, you are put on the back burner and won't get to partake in certain projects that may be of great use to you in the future. Managers seem to only hire people they know or are related to them even if they have no experience in the field. This makes it hard for people who got in through talent to fit in with other employees.

Just because you have a lot of money doesn't mean you should spend it all on training your buddies and family members. Start hiring people with actual talent and make them feel more welcome.

Truly read all of these reviews

I have been working at Veracode full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The great thing about this company are the services provided. Everyone needs or will need security over their applications, so in that regard Veracode is on top.

Cons

The company itself is terrible. The reviews speaking to the contrary are posted by their internal team to offset the bad ones posted by real people who have been burned by the company. This is not a speculation, this is a fact.

I don't even know where to begin.... just stop making bad calls with no facts to support them. Stop hiring and firing at will. Who does that even help? You waste the time of new hires and you waste the time of the people surrounding them through getting these people ramped up. Not to mention what this process does to the moral.

It's always easy to blame management, but how much of it is all of management and how much of it is just a few people? Who even knows. What I do know is, I do not feel comfortable where I stand with this company and anyone not in the inner circle of management elite feel the same.

If you're looking for a job fresh out of college or looking to dive into a cutting edge employer, keep searching. Until they get it right, Veracode is not worth another individual's valuable time. Your time is THE most valuable asset, don't gamble with this place.

Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Burlington, MA

I worked at Veracode full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy commute in a central location between major highways. Awesome kitchen. Overall great company to work for. Their service sells itself. They are going to go places.

Cons

Upper management does not value all departments equally.

Treat everyone equally.