Veracode

Bob Brennan

Intern

Intern (Former Employee)
Burlington, MA

I worked at Veracode full-time for less than a year

ProsEasy commute in a central location between major highways. Awesome kitchen. Overall great company to work for. Their service sells itself. They are going to go places.

ConsUpper management does not value all departments equally.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat everyone equally.

High energy, fast moving and fun place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Veracode full-time for more than a year

ProsAt Veracode, you'll have the chance to work with some of the best in the information security industry. The vast majority of employees are driven, focused and fun to work with.

ConsThere are very few (if any) downsides to working at Veracode. Sometimes however, it seems that "the left hand isn't talking to the right hand" and people end up re-inventing the wheel. Although this does not happen too often.

Poisonous Services Organization

Security Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Veracode full-time for more than a year

Pros- The appsec field is poised for rapid growth.

Cons- Middle management is actively destructive to certain services teams
- Middle management is passively destructive to the rest, as they are only driven by sales metrics versus service metrics
- Services is basically an inside sales shop rather providing services or any level of expertise (basically the opposite of a trusted adviser)
- Nobody on the team has any consulting experience, and those that had consulting experience were shown the door in favor of sales-oriented staff

Advice to Senior Management- Stop the sales ponzi scheme
- Let our products stand for themselves, or build a services organization that provides valuable, consultative expertise rather than push sales
- Listen to the employee satisfaction survey

One of the most rewarding experiences of my career

Engineering Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Veracode full-time for more than a year

ProsThe executive team at Veracode is essentially a dream team. There are at least 4 former and future CEO's at this company that all work for Bob. If you could pick an all-star team of executives and put them together you'd end up with Veracode. Our security researchers and founders are celebrities in the application security world and sometimes when I interact with them I don't know whether to talk about work or ask for an autograph. Seriously. The company is in the rapid growth stage of it's evolution. We are a hacker culture and that's not b-s! It's real. People are empowered to take risks, are rewarded for success, and feedback on failure is delivered with kindness and constructive advice. You can truly make your career at Veracode whatever you want it to be.

ConsAn environment like this is not for everyone. It's very intense. If you've got a chip on your shoulder and your self-image is slightly off from everyone else's, you will not be successful. If you're a bully stay away. If you like to hide in the shadows and fear change you will not like it here. The market is on fire for what Veracode does which means competition from the outside is fierce.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis ain't your first rodeo. Teach the rest of us how to make magic like this.

Nice experience

I have been working at Veracode as an intern

Proscomfortable, relaxed, good work, lot of technologies, Very good for new grad

ConsI think maybe they can pay a little more salary

Experiencing some growing pains, but a good environment overall

I have been working at Veracode full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat products and an enviable customer list. Products lauded by industry analysts. Some of the smartest and most dedicated people I have every worked with are at this company. The firm will go above and beyond to make sure that customers are satisfied. Employees are provided with as much time as they need to take care of their outside interests as long as the work gets done. There is something for everyone here - charitable programs, after hours sporting activities, and lots of internal activities to get to know your co-workers.

ConsThere is still need for improved processes and better ways of getting work done. Things are often more complicated than they need to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focusing on the things you are but dive deeper to figure out the best way to improve the organization. Those closest to the work usually know best.

Veracode has been the most professionally rewarding job I ever had. I feel very valued and encouraged to grow.

In the Engineering Department (Current Employee)

I have been working at Veracode full-time for more than a year

ProsApp Sec is a very hot and critical industry. I am very happy to be a part of such a current demand that is important to everyone who uses software.

Veracode has some of the most intelligent people working for the company, and I feel so challenged to keep up with the IQ level. I am always learning from my colleagues.

Professional opportunity is rife at Veracode. When employees indicate that they want to make a move into a different career, Veracode works very hard to find them a post within the company so you can pursue your career ideal while keeping your level of experience within the company.

Ideas welcome. I personally know that I can propose change in process and convention in my department and my ideas are always welcome and often implemented.

Innovation and creativity is a core belief at Veracode. With two, three-day Hackathons each year, everyone can use company time to work on learning something new, whether it has anything to do with Veracode and AppSec or not.

The culture is quite fun. Those who want to be involved in extra-curricular activities, community service, feasts, festivities, and any other movements are able to do so. There is always so much going on. Never a dull moment.

Professional courtesy and trust. I have never worked at a company that trusts me enough to never track how many personal, sick, or vacation days I take. In addition, Veracode has a code of conduct that actually works to enforce professional courtesy in the workplace. Everyone is respected who acts respectfully. Trust is also proven by allowing employees to work a lot from home. We have staff spread across several countries and Veracode makes it work. If you can be trusted to do the work, Veracode will work with you to achieve your life-work balance.

Management is approachable. I can only speak for my boss, but he is someone who will make time for me and listen to my concerns and rants. He works with me to get past obstacles, address issues, and achieve my goals. Upper management knows me by name, which is commendable.

ConsThe company is growing fast, which means having to work very fast. This can be a negative when there are not enough people to do the work, but I have not worked for a company in the US that does not have this problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to work to reach out and acknowledge the hard-working people who believe in Veracode and its potential. No one wants to be just a badge number.

Come join Veracode!

I have been working at Veracode full-time for more than a year

ProsFriendly non-intimidating environment, great benefits, incredible perks, flexible hours, unlimited PTO, well-managed facility, superb teamwork, monthly town-hall provides a clear vision and communication.

ConsFrankly, I would not be here if I saw any downside.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Thrilled to be part of a great team!

I have been working at Veracode full-time

ProsGreat team of coworkers, all driving towards the same goal - to be the best and to improve security standards to secure our customer's information and raise the bar for all. Not only a world-class team, but generous with their time and help to their fellow Veracoders.

ConsGrowing quickly and some growing pains in procedures, office space, and operations, but management continues to strive towards adjusting as we grow. Internal training needs to be improved for all to ensure each person can grow towards their next career within the company.

Two years of unfulfilled promises

ProsHot technology
Great industry
Very smart people

ConsNo room for growth
Too top heavy
Turnover rate is ridiculous

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring management, and start valuing the employees you have.

Worked for Veracode? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Veracode reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Veracode CEO Bob Brennan. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by Veracode employees.