Verdi Consulting

Updated Jun 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mariama Levy

Ok some days, terrible the rest.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits are some of the best around, though I never got an answer about 401k matching (so I suppose that was my answer). Pay was decent - but thats only speaking numerically, not when compared to hours worked.

People at the manager level and higher tend to stay out of your hair when there is a lot going on, which is nice, because you can just focus on doing your job and then go home every day.

If you have your own office as opposed to a cubicle, its nice because you can shut your door to keep people from constantly disrupting you during the day.

ConsMost days were hot and cold with respect to managers and the CFO & CEO. One day you could be their best friend, and the next you were their worst enemy (with no explanation). I witnessed first hand meetings where executives yelled and verbally abused managers and staff - I myself was yelled at once or twice. Work hours were the worst I've ever had in my life. Some weeks it was not uncommon to work 60+ hours and everyone being salaried resulted in nothing to look forward to but the same paycheck. As for bonuses, that depends on if you are on the nice or naughty list with the CEO on the random day they "hand out checks". Several times we were promised bonus money based on what was billed to the client, or time off for extra hours worked, only to have the CEO drag her feet or pretend like those things never came out of her mouth.
    When managers and higher level folks dont have anything to do or any current/prospective clients to talk to they micromanage and make your day miserable - thanks government shutdown!

Advice to Senior ManagementCFO/CEO need to give people a chance. You had many (and may still have) folks working for you who were willing to be better, but because you pigeon-holed them and never gave them opportunity to improve themselves, they never exceeded your expectations of being mediocre. It's your name on the door, not staff names. But remember that the staff are who keep you in your lifestyle, so if you make a promise you need follow through on it otherwise you will continue to have such high turnover and will struggle to find suitable talent (aside from those you sponsor for citizenship and work visas).

Most toxic work environment ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsGreat work location in Tysons for employees working in company office.

ConsExecutive management rarely believes or listens to lower level management or employees; constantly, negatively challenging employees knowledge and skills. Compensation and benefits among worst in industry. No opportunity for life outside of office with very long hours in office and hours required to be worked remotely after normal working hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementBelieve in your employees and let them do their jobs.

Abusive work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsCo-workers nice but most do not last long because of the abusive environment. Turnover is horrific.

ConsIf you don't mind being verbally abused by CEO and COO and no personal life, it's a great place to work. Otherwise, don't consider. They pay well to get you in the door but based on the hours you work, you could get better pay at a grocery store.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop yelling. Do what you say you will do. Don't treat people like slaves.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Really nice place to work and really great people to work with

ProsGreat work/life balance, everyone is really nice and easy to get along with which makes working here really nice. The company looks very promising with lots of its great technology we're using. We also have really fun get-togethers for birthdays and fun holidays like pi day (March 14) and we had a fun time at six flags this last year.

ConsNone. I guess its not a fortune 500 with box tickets to basketball games or a free soda fridge.

Best Place to Work

Senior Manager (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsVerdi is a cutting edge boutique firm that masters it craft and has the mantra to ”exceed expectations”. What does that mean? If you are looking for repetitive tasks, the same old way of doing things, then Verdi is not the place for you. At Verdi you are encouraged to think out side the box, challenge the conventional way of doing things and utilizing technology to create efficiency and accuracy in what we do. I work with some of the smartest folks that create amazing tools and simplify the way things are done.

Verdi is a team-working environment. Everyone has a voice and a place for discussing an approach or solution to work done. You are exposed to clients where you present your work and not someone taking credit for it.

At my former Big 4 firm, decisions were very bureaucratic needing so many approvals that sometimes the opportunity passes by and is lost. They had all the theories and methodologies that were sometime slow to adapt to changing times….as evidenced by the big layoffs happening at my old firm. Here management effectively makes decisions quickly.

They invest in training not only in-house (one of our senior managers is a Management Concept federal financial subject matter expert) but we get to go to external training including payment of our membership for different organizations.

Verdi is a very fast paced organization growing exponentially over the past few years. We moved offices, each of the past years as we outgrow each office space. Yes there are growing pains but I am excited to part of this company with a lot to look forward to. With the economy uncertain and companies losing business and getting rid of experienced employees, I am happy to be a part a winning team.

This became very important during the federal shut down and furlough. Even though my contract was impacted, we were not terminated as other small companies did. Everyone came back to the office where a lot of training and project cross training was provided. I learnt new skills and got visibility into new project opportunities. That showed the strength of the company to withstand economic loss, loyalty to the staff and visionary management.
    Best thing about Verdi…the people… there is such diversity and everyone brings a great perspective. Very talented and very hardworking
    Yes people there are folks who could not make it at Verdi. Take a look at the growth and success the company. Verdi’s ability to keep wining new business and keeping all your old customers as well.

ConsWe do work long hours especially during busy season, but I look forward to the “administrative” time off that we are given which does not dip into my PTO or performance bonuses for exceeding targets.Bonuses are very generous taking into account the long hours worked at the client and what I received in one year exceed my 3 year total at my former firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe "all hands meetings" are used to bring the entire company together including offsite and onsite staff for team building, recognition and bonding. Lets have those more frequently than 5 a year.

Run away while you still have feet

Consultant (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsNice co-workers
    No real formal interview process

ConsBe prepared to work crazy/unnecessary overtime, weekend, and holidays....did I mention holidays?

Puzzled how some staff are hired because they can barely speak or write in English

Useless ADP training course (good for the people mentioned above)

Owner is loud and obnoxious and you'll witness some very strange behavior/mood patterns

Very little room for growth and career advancement

Poor laptops and outdated technology

Owner is real frugal about printing (i.e. double side, no color, etc)

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand your employees, reward your employees, trust your employees,

Suffered long enough, escaped just in time.

Business Analyst (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsGood co-workers that try their best in the hostile environment although most leave the company within less than a year.

ConsI don't even know where to start in describing my experience at Verdi. There were so many disappointments and frustrations that I can't possibly go over everything but I'll highlight the 3 main shortcomings so readers can get the most beneficial information from this review.

Career building/promotion: The company had the strangest company policy of hiring new people for higher positions instead of promoting existing employees. I would totally understand this if they hired competent, experienced people who could do the job better but they would hire people who didn't even have industry experience at all and have the existing employees train them. Not only is this the worst business move ever but it angered the existing employees who worked diligently and long hours for an opportunity at a promotion. But not at this company, as a reward they'll make you train new hires (additional work hours) for your hard work. Also, they tell you that they'll provide training or certification classes to build skills but I heard this for over a year and never received any. Probably because because one, they are the cheapest company I have ever worked at and two, they work you so much I don't even see where they would fit this in at all. Which transitions into my next subject.

Work/life balance: If you have any outside life of work, say goodbye to it once you start your first day at Verdi. At least 3 out of 4 weekends in a month we were required to come into work on weekends with Friday afternoon notifications. And if we couldn't because of prior engagements or had to go out of town then we would get reprimanded with threats of termination. They'll demand you come in on holidays, early mornings, late nights, your vacation days but not because of deadlines like most companies but because of poor project management. This place was the epitome of always reactive and never proactive. There was never any organizing the process or planning accordingly here. Everything was done last minute and took twice as long. And of course the ones who suffered the most were the lower level employees. Let me tell you once and for all, long hours were absolutely not because of client demand. Now to the third aspect most people find essential.

Management/owners: All the managers I came across at Verdi were ego-elevated useless people with no management skills whatsoever. Even though we knew more about the work than they did they would expect us to kiss their feet and not voice our opinions at all. My manager constantly displayed favoritism blatantly in front of other team members which in turn created resentment and lowered morale. Complaints were made to other managers and to the owners but were ignored. Of course with no HR department there is nowhere else employees can turn to. The owners of the company are a couple who are the CEO and CFO of the company. All they care about is money, period, they pretend they care about their employees but don't be fooled. They brag about being the fastest growing company and how they're bringing in more business but if a company is doing well then the employees should benefit as well. The pay and benefits are pitiful here and did not get any better while I was there.

Anyways this is getting ridiculously long but like I said I have only skimmed the surface of the place. I can't even go into the numerous unprofessional, unethical things that happen here. In the end, I decided (along with the almost 80% percent of people who had already left) that staying at Verdi would be career suicide. I am glad that I made that choice, it was the right one and I have no regrets at all. I hope this glimpse of my inside experience will help the reader in making the right choice as well.

But be forewarned that if you do believe the "positive" reviews below and decide to take a job at Verdi then get ready to suffer in silence.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn some real leadership skills and treat all employees equally.

Good place to learn

Business Analyst (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsManagement/owners will invest in their people. There have been in house training classes, every week a newsletter goes out for classes offered through ADP, several people have been sent to 3rd party training, owners have flown managers to florida and las vegas for 3 day mgt retreats to upgrade skills and get away from day to day. Great opportunity to advance skills.

ConsSome people don't want to work extra hours or weekends. Those projects with very demanding clients require extra work sometimes. Fortunately my client requires typical 9-5, but I guess client work is not for everyone. The founder works a lot of hours so she does walk the walk.

Advice to Senior Managementrotate junior staff more, communicate plans more in advance. if extra work required, give advanced notice so people can line up child care, etc.

Tell the truth

ProsEmployees are very friendly. They work hard together.

ConsThe truth of the matter is the projects don't require long hours and weekends. It's mismanagement! It has NOTHING to do with the client. Not a great place to work. Turnover rate is at least 85%.

Advice to Senior ManagementApply the training you received when you flew your staff to CA.

A fast growing company

ProsI worked for this company and its a very good company to work for. Its growing and the people I worked with were great. The leadership is great. I remembered the CEO will greet us all every morning and would not hesistate to work with us, It made me feel being part of something great. Its very flexible with your working hours. You can remote work also which I utilized. Everyone had task assigned to them by their project manager which you completed. I had great flexibility in the morning coming in, you can come in early or a bit later, you just had to finish your task.

ConsThere were some days where we had long hours to finish a project but that applied to members of our team. However, the company was flexible with our hours so it was ok.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job on team work, flexibility and organization.

Worked for Verdi Consulting? Contribute to the Community!