Verengo Solar

Verengo Solar Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Verengo Solar CEO Randy Bishop

Randy Bishop

Pros
  • Great Work Environment - Fast paced work environment with a Family feel to the company, not a corporate juggernaut(in 8 reviews)

• work environment with a Family feel to the company, not a corporate juggernaut(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • What they disguise as growing and fast paced is mass confusion and chaos(in 5 reviews)

• growing pains and finding balance gets to be a challenge(in 5 reviews)

Fun place to work

Anonymous (Current Employee) Torrance, CA

Pros- Fast-paced
    - High energy
    - Challenging
    - Great Support and Training
    - Good Management
    - Awesome atmosphere

ConsThere is never a dull moment at Verengo.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to deal with problems quickly, fairly and consistently.

A lot of good people, but the company is struggling to meet its growth goals.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsCompany put on quarterly events for employees, and gave awards for outstanding performance. Human Resources was generally responsive.

ConsFirst you need to understand why companies like Verengo, and it's many competitors like Solar City have sprung up overnight since 2009. Current solar technology cannot generate a kilowatt hour of electricity as cheaply as you can buy it off of the grid. Residential installations typically cost upwards of $50,000 and the panels lose 1% of their efficiency per year. But in 2009 a 30% federal tax credit was passed and in some states the utility companies were forced into guaranteed electricity buy-back programs which spawned the current solar panel sales boom in those states ie California. Barring a great leap in panel technology, once the current tax credits expire in 2017, the industry may shut down as quickly as it started unless the tax credits are extended, a very iffy proposition. Because of the high up-front cost, Verengo structures most of the deals as 20 year leases. As long as you see the big picture going in, Verengo can be a decent place to earn a living and pick up some valuable work experience for as long as it lasts.

I worked in the Phoenix office for one year. The office contains the telemarketing call center and IT management. The main office is in Torrance, California. It's worthy to note that Verengo has worked very hard at a public relations campaign to promote itself as a "best place to work". Recently the company made CareerBuilder.com's list of "Top Companies to Work for in Arizona". This was after a carefully organized internal campaign to get employees to respond favorably to the CareerBuilder.com annual survey. The local media, most notably reporters and photographers from the Arizona Republic, were present at a recent Wednesday afternoon sales rally, known as a "rah-rah" for the award presentation.

While Verengo certainly wasn't the worst employer I've ever worked for, the well crafted public image often doesn't match up with reality. Salaried personnel are often expected to work long hours of uncompensated overtime and to check and respond to emails and texts when away from the office. Many middle level managers work 7 days a week. Employee turnover was common. You might see a sales manager leading a Wednesday "rah-rah" pep rally, extolling the virtues of the company, and then be gone the next day. Some people were swept out abruptly, leaving in tears. At a Wednesday "rah-rah" in early January of 2013, management announced that all employees would be forced to take one unpaid furlough day per month, and use one day of vacation. We were told to never reveal this to the outside world. It might tarnish the carefully crafted public image.

To be fair, there are a lot of fine, hard working people at Verengo. Your experience will depend on your attitude and work ethic of course, but also on who you have as a manager. My hope for all the good people still working there is that the company will survive until solar panel technology improves and the industry can thrive on its own without taxpayer subsidies.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit stepping over dollars to pick up dimes. Set up anonymous grading for rank and file employees to rate their managers, then seriously consider their feedback.

Frequent and disorganized change at local level

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Bakersfield, CA

ProsThe company has a very solid product and a good reputation with its existing customers. Great job for a single person with no kids.

Consconstant state of change with policy and practice with poor communication at local level. Not a job for a family person. Late nights running poor company leads

Advice to Senior Managementcreate stability to reduce churn

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Verengo Solar has given me a great experience! I met some really cool people!

Canvasser/Brand Ambassador (Current Employee) Fresno, CA

Pros-flexible hours
    -bonuses, base pay
    -company values
    -improve communication skills
    -great coworkers

Cons-it isn't a job for everyone and you would have to treat it like your own business
    -sometimes flexibility ends up turning into a on-call job

The work environment at Verengo Solar is professional and fun at the same time.

Sales Support Manager (Current Employee) Torrance, CA

ProsI am new to Torrance and its a great place to live and work. Verengo provides top of the line tools to work with. It's a fast pace, comfortable working facility. Intelligent, friendly co-workers. Plenty of room for advancement. I can't say enough about how happy I am to work here. I look forward to coming to work every day. How many people can say that?

ConsI have not found any "cons" as of yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Great team work!

Field Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) Anaheim, CA

ProsCompetitive pay and a friendly, fast-paced company culture.

ConsThe drive to work is a little farther than I would like.

Corporate Recruiter

Corporate Talent Acquisition Strategist (Current Employee) Torrance, CA

ProsI have had the pleasure of working closely with the CEO, President, Executive Staff and Management for 3 years and it has been one of the most exciting and positive experiences I have ever had in my long career as an executive level recruiter. This is truly one of the "Best Places to Work"!!

ConsIf working in a dynamic, exciting and ever changing entrepreneurial environment is not what you are looking for, don't apply for a position at Verengo!!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work !!

Great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Torrance, CA

ProsThe team is knowledgeable, dedicated and has great chemistry. The corporate office environment is professional and friendly -and in a new building, with easy parking! Senior Leadership is thoughtful, dynamic, connected to the team and committed to the company's values. There are many opportunities for training and development. There are also opportunities as a team to give back to the community.

ConsHaven't really found any cons yet... so, there's not a Starbucks IN the building (but there IS a decent coffee machine in the suite with various offerings and there are some vending machines in the building as well as a handful of restaurants nearby)...

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job!

I love my job!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Torrance, CA

ProsThe fun and collaborative culture, flexible schedule, and growth opportunities. I have been with Verengo for almost 2 years now, and it has been exciting to see the company grow and to see that management has invested in my career growth along with it. And we get to make a difference for our environment and our customers!

ConsSeriously can't think of anything!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on your employees and the fun culture!

Lives by their values

Canvass (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGrowing industry that lives by their values and trust their people. It is a fast paced environment where you can really drive what you and your team do.

ConsGrowing pains......we are growing so fast that things change and evolve almost on a daily basis. We work hard and play hard and are never bored.....really it is a good problem to have.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course on the mission and values

Worked for Verengo Solar? Contribute to the Community!