Verengo Solar Reviews

Reset
3.5
Verengo Solar CEO Anders Dahl
Anders Dahl

Pros
  • Competitive pay and a friendly, fast-paced company culture (in 8 reviews)

• The overall company culture and atmosphere is fantastic (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Fast-paced, always something new (in 7 reviews)

• growing pains and finding balance gets to be a challenge (in 5 reviews)

1. A bad experience from beginning to end

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people were very nice. No charge for parking. A good coffee machine. Sometimes, lunch was served in the parking lot.

Cons

They preach trust as a company value and proceed to behave in a completely untrustworthy fashion. Unethical behavior and attitudes were the norm. Incompetence from certain visible employees was both known and tolerated.

Advice to Management

Constant knee-jerk decisions betray an woeful lack of management experience. It is an insecure place to work, with more layoffs looming at every turn.

My review is limited to Outside Sales in the Northern California region.

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The training is fine, overall. That's as close as I can get to a 'pro.'

Cons

I was an outside sales rep in Northern California. This company has zero desire to develop talent and promote reps within NorCal. They are a farm team for their competition. There is a revolving door of employees in the region because hardly anyone can withstand the antiquated way Verengo Solar does business and how they treat their employees. As an outside sales rep, you have no idea where you are going to be the next day until the night before around 9:30pm. Dispatching is done out-of-state by individuals who may or may not be in possession of a map. Can you imagine trying to plan a sales week when you have no idea where you will be each day until the night prior? It's not uncommon to be required to be in two places at once and those places are 90 miles apart. The technology you use to build a solar system and work out the financing would have been barely acceptable in the mid-nineties. CRM tool? What's a CRM tool? Oh, and bring all your own technology, too. That means laptop, phone, air card, printer, accessories, etc. The compensation plan is an arbitrary draw system by which you request how much you'd like to be paid for that week. If management decides you don't deserve it, you get no paycheck that week. You end up working 12-16 hour days and by the time you do the math on your paycheck, you may be better off slamming burgers at In-N-Out. At least you'd have some sort of control of your schedule and you'd be with a company that believes in you. Plus, you might get a break on the burgers & fries. In an outside sales career spanning 14 years, I've never worked for a company so uninterested in what its reps in the field have to say. Of course, like any company, there are some good, well-intentioned people within their ranks. But with the industry growing so fast and with so much opportunity elsewhere, I couldn't in good conscience recommend any one with any other options go to work for Verengo Solar in NorCal.

Advice to Management

Open your door and listen to your people. Invest in technology to streamline dispatching. Offer two comp plans from which your reps could choose: one being the current draw system and the other having a guaranteed base, with certain requirements to meet, of course, even if commissions are smaller. In my opinion most people would trade a little of the upside on commissions for a predictable base salary. Perhaps then you'd attract and retain top talent in NorCal.

3. Chaos and confusion

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location, some coworkers and not much else

Cons

What they disguise as growing and fast paced is mass confusion and chaos. Don't buy their hype.

Advice to Management

Focus and commit

Verengo Up For Sale Get Out While You Can

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Fresno, CA

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I first started as a canvasser, Verengo in the Central Valley of California was a family. Month after month, I would look across the table and see my friends. We all did well until a change in management. During this time, us canvassers were given a territory to work and logged in our hours at the end of the day. No micromanagement whatsoever.

Cons

In April 2014, Randy Bishop and Ken Button shot out an email stating they were exploring the sale of Verengo. Around this time, canvassers went from being trusted as adults to log our hours and meet our monthly quota to being treated like children where we were given set work schedules and weekly quotas. To understand Verengo, you have to understand the structure. Verengo contains four structures: 1. Corporate, 2. Sales, 3. Telemarketing (Any and all reviews from Phoenix, AZ) and 4. Canvass (Central Valley, Northern California, Los Angeles, New York, Antelope Valley, Orange County, etc.) As a canvasser, my job was to put food on the table of those above me. Canvassers gather the leads and appointments to employ Verengo's call center (telemarketing) in Phoenix, AZ. Our leads and appointments, at the behest of those in Phoenix, would translate into appointments (inside and outside) for local sales reps. If an appointment got sold, then corporate would reap all the benefits and trickle it on downward to the tune of $100 to $165/sale depending on your canvasser rank (Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum). All Corporate ever did was give us some Tony Robbins inspirational nonsense with no direction on what territories panned out. Verengo's Corporate mindset is, "It isn't about the territory, it is about the canvasser." Let me ask, could Billy Mays sell Gucci handbags at retail markup in south central LA? Of course not, territory matters, yet according to Verengo Corporate it does not.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to Solar City.

Terrible

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Martinez, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Martinez, CA

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

To be employed for 8 weeks

Cons

I'm disgusted with Verengo Solar. My husband was just laid off by Verengo Solar about 3 weeks ago. He worked there for approximately 8 weeks! He has his 2 year degree in Photovoltaics and they made him jump through so many hoops just to get hired, only to be laid off after 8 weeks! Do you mean to tell me that not a single person in the company knew that my husband would be laid off right from the very beginning? Oh, and did I mention that his pay was a complete slap in the face for his experience? Thank you Verengo Solar for wasting my husband's and my families time. I hope the money you'll save is well worth letting go of all of the Martinez CA crew, which of course, not only affects each employee but that employee's family as well.

Advice to Management

Stop following every other Greedy Corporation in the US and start supporting the employees that you hire, regardless of the location and whether or not you may have to open your wallet up a little more to help your fellow man.

Treats Employees Like CRAP

Current Employee - Installer in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Installer in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NONE. They do not care about employees what so ever!

Cons

They don't allow workers restroom breaks. They do not give raises. They expect people to work outside their pay grade and not say anything about it. Running jobs as if they are a foreman but getting paid an installers pay, which is also too low! How dare you not care about your employees! They are what makes your company what it is! This company is run by a bunch of greedy idiots.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect! It's disgusting the way you go about business. I am truly disgusted by you!

Abandoning their commitment to the employee to expand the business.

I have been working at Verengo Solar

Pros

Great income potential for lower level employees.

Cons

Employees are disposable. No loyalty to the workforce.

Advice to Management

You had to know for months that you were accepting money from a private investor. To blindside your workforce with a no notice layoff contradicts the culture that made your company so great to work for. Obviously Verengo is and will continue to be successful, but to potentially destroy the lives of those that brought you to this point is shameful. Don't you think that they at least deserved some sort of notice?

HORRIBLE WORKPLACE

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Fresno, CA

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

money is great if you sell a lot of systems.

Cons

no communication from upper management, all managers only care if you sell. if you are struggling they will not hesitate on firing you. i was one of the top performers(top 5) in company but still they didnt hesitate to warn me or our whole team that they were shutting us down and close shop. Verengo wont care about you or your family and better to work for a different company who wants to keep loyal employees.

Advice to Management

too much ugly to get into.

Financial disaster. Keep telling everyone it's going to get better

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The other employees are doing their best with little guidance. I have huge respect for those employees who continue to do their jobs during mass firings.

Cons

Over 60% turnover while I was there. Closing offices in markets. No support, Huge favoritism, phony glass door reviews, poor leads. Telling employees who were just hired your costs are too high firing them while at the same time training more new employees

Advice to Management

Stop firing good people because you can't make the business profitable. It takes at least 90 days to figure out the job. So why are you hiring people wasting their time and your money if you don't give them a chance.

MUST READ: Don't be fooled by positive reviews

Former Employee - Customer Care in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Care in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible hours if you need to leave for a doctors appointment you can make up that time within the week. The employees that work there have a sense of family and take care of one another.

Cons

Unannounced MASSIVE layoff on all levels. Hundreds of people were layed off to "cut the fat." Best leaders were let go leaving the Good Ole Boys that drink the company's koolaid. Parties and 'RAH RAH' weekly egofest still carry on while many people are being let go. One word: TACKY. If I could leave a zero rating I would. Do not buy into the reviews left by management. Stay far, far away.

Advice to Management

No words....

RSS Feed </> Embed