Verengo Solar Reviews

Reset
3.6
Verengo Solar CEO Anders Dahl
Anders Dahl

Pros
  • Competitive pay and a friendly, fast-paced company culture (in 8 reviews)

• The overall company culture and atmosphere is fantastic (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Fast-paced, always something new (in 7 reviews)

• growing pains and finding balance gets to be a challenge (in 5 reviews)

Verengo Worst Commission Structure

I have been working at Verengo Solar

Pros

Fellow employees are nice and friendly. Really good people to work with. However, that is it. This company rips off their salespeople

Cons

The worst commission structure in solar. I though Solar City was bad (they are), however; Verengo takes the cake. They take advantage of kids who don't know any better. Industry standard is 6 - 10% off gross sales. You lose tens of thousands of dollars working here. Verengo pays 1.1% - 3%. This is stealing from hard working sales people. If you work for Verengo, wake up! You can make 10 times as much working for a trustworthy solar company.

Advice to Management

When your sales people become aware of how low your commission structure is, you are in deep trouble.
    BE FAIR! Stop ripping off your hard working sales teams.

Poorly managed company, told us to lie to our customers.

Former Employee - Canvasser in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Former Employee - Canvasser in Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at Verengo Solar

Pros

Helped improve door-to-door sales skills.

Cons

Sales pitch was a lie to customers, night shift was bad.

Advice to Management

Please do something about the management and the sales force top to bottom.

Update to my original review dated July 5, 2014

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met some truly great people while I worked there. Gained some valuable skills and experience that fattened up my resume.

Cons

Completely phony "employee friendly" atmosphere, saw many good people let go. My boss made numerous errors of commission and omission, then blamed his vendors and subordinates for the disasters that followed.

Follow up note: Due to the high cost of solar panel installations, Verengo talks the majority of their customers (mostly residential) into 20 year leases instead of outright purchases. From talking to many experienced Realtors, when a homeowner tries to sell their home with the leased panels, transferring the lease is a nightmare, and usually a deal breaker. My advice is to stay away from solar entirely until the next generation of more efficient and less expensive panels hit the market, probably sometime in the next 5 - 10 years.

Last spring the company announced that it was up for sale. Even the two co-founders must think it's over. It will be interesting to see who, if anyone, buys the sinking ship. Sorry to see so many of my former colleagues laid off.

Advice to Management

For once play it straight with your hard working employees.

Chaotic not fast paced

Current Employee - Installer in West Nyack, NY
    Current Employee - Installer in West Nyack, NY

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

coworkers, that's truly it. Is that at least 5 words?

Cons

No leadership or focus. One day everyone is running to the right. The next day everyone is running to the left. The next day, people are standing still because they're too tired from running. No one knows whats going on and gives up so theres a revolving door. Benefits and pay stink. Only for the displaced or unemployed.

Advice to Management

Develop a plan, hire quality people then share the plan with everyone so we know what's going on.

Dont trust

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Made good money thats it.

Cons

Massive layoffs since July 2014.

Advice to Management

Cut your losses and get out now

Never try switching departments to advance

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun people next to you, relaxed environment, just get your work done

Cons

Never apply to another department or expect to be asked for your two weeks notice. The director of Customer Experience asked two of us to place in our two weeks notice. This is because if you are hired as a customer service representative and apply for inside sales, two weeks is you make or your out type deal. She wanted to make it as your not being able to come back to the position period. I left the company because of this, that was a dumb mistake on their end.

Advice to Management

Allow your people to advance to a higher promotion, don't try and hold people back. Its unbelievable.

Terrible place to work don't believe the hype.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Ahwatukee, AZ
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Ahwatukee, AZ

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I truly can't think of one, uh friendly receptionist, guy I interviewed with was super cool and personable but when I started 2 weeks later learned he was fired.

Cons

Office is so cramped, don't even have a proper cubicle it's like a 2x3 ft desk with dividers, literally like boiler room packed in. 1st day of training they throw you a 28 page agreement and tell you to memorize it with no time in class to do so, so after spending 8 hrs learning about company policies and doing math equations you have to go home and memorize it, before sending you to California for "boot camp". I was super excited to start a new career but after learning the guy I just met with two weeks prior was fired I knew something with this company was up. They said growth was crazy and great time and they've been doing training class after training class for 4 months straight as I saw on career builder it was true but when i got the tour found it extremely odd that after all this hiring and training their were only 20 reps on the floor which means one thing, the people they are hiring are quitting after realizing how much they try to brainwash you and nothing they tell you is true. When you start you get like 3-4 leads which suck, all good leads go to outside reps. So you spend all day calling the same people over and over to look busy. Sorry I wasted my time and gas to drive to such a dump.

Advice to Management

Just be honest about the position and training program during the interview. I feel they hire as many people as possible and give the job to anybody then just let the herd thin itself out and at the end you'll have a few people willing to endure the torture left, mostly kids out of college who don't know better, or the telemarketer kids thinking their getting a promotion who end up lasting.

Be careful...

Current Employee - Call Center Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Call Center Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company used to have a positive, friendly, warm atmosphere....and then the lay offs started and continued for 2+ years.

Cons

Inconsistent strategy, poor upper level leaders (Senior VPs, CEO, etc.) that treat people like a number and not like a person. This is a cut-throat company, regardless if you are performing, you can be replaced at any moment as evidenced by the repeated lay offs each year (and 2 in the past 60 days). If you want to be treated like a valueless commodity, this is a great spot for you.

Advice to Management

If the strategy that is not working leads to a layoff, change your approach and your strategy. Cutting heads 1-2 times per year and making no changes to your plan will only result in the repeated action year after year. The employees are fearful each day they arrive at work, not knowing if this is the day they get let go.

If you want to be underpaid, work here.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great job for someone without sales skills because they pay you $15/hour to sit there and won't give you many leads the first 90 days.

Cons

3 weeks of training. 3 months of a cap on earnings set at $5000/month. No one in the company can explain to you how commissions are paid on leases. In the interview process they will tell you it is too complex to explain. Once I was working for the company, they have a complex 5 page document explaining how commissions are paid. After working there a while, the numbers panned out to be some of the lowest per KW payouts of any solar company in the industry. A lot of local AZ solar companies will pay double to triple the commissions for an equivalent size system, and you won't be stuck at an office in a cubicle from 9am to 6pm Mon-Fri with a half hour lunch break. Another con is they have outside sales teams and the inside sales team in Phoenix. The outside sales reps get all the better leads, and inside sales gets the leads that they don't want to send outside sales reps to. If you are weary of this statement, it came directly from the people that dispatch the leads!!! Average rep in the company makes 65K to 75K, with only 2 reps making over 100K. The two reps making over 100K do it mainly off of referral business off their database built from working there over 3 years, therefore for incoming reps to make a 6 figure income is an impossibility, which is unfortunate because with many other companies, it is easy to make a 6 figure income as a newbie and not have to go through a 3 week training process.

MUST READ: Don't be fooled by positive reviews

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible hours if you need to leave for a doctors appointment you can make up that time within the week. The employees that work there have a sense of family and take care of one another.

Cons

Unannounced MASSIVE layoff on all levels. Hundreds of people were layed off to "cut the fat." Best leaders were let go leaving the Good Ole Boys that drink the company's koolaid. Parties and 'RAH RAH' weekly egofest still carry on while many people are being let go. One word: TACKY. If I could leave a zero rating I would. Do not buy into the reviews left by management. Stay far, far away.

Advice to Management

No words....

RSS Feed </> Embed