Verengo Solar

Updated December 16, 2014
3.9

Verengo Solar CEO Randy Bishop
Randy Bishop

Pros
  • Great Work Environment - Fast paced work environment with a Family feel to the company, not a corporate juggernaut (in 8 reviews)

• Competitive pay, great structure, awesome company culture that really emphasizes the team (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a very competitive and fast-paced environment, may not be suitable for everyone (in 7 reviews)

• growing pains and finding balance gets to be a challenge (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Dont trust

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Made good money thats it.

Cons

Massive layoffs since July 2014.

Cut your losses and get out now

Never try switching departments to advance

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun people next to you, relaxed environment, just get your work done

Cons

Never apply to another department or expect to be asked for your two weeks notice. The director of Customer Experience asked two of us to place in our two weeks notice. This is because if you are hired as a customer service representative and apply for inside sales, two weeks is you make or your out type deal. She wanted to make it as your not being able to come back to the position period. I left the company because of this, that was a dumb mistake on their end.

Allow your people to advance to a higher promotion, don't try and hold people back. Its unbelievable.

Terrible place to work don't believe the hype.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Ahwatukee, AZ
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Ahwatukee, AZ

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I truly can't think of one, uh friendly receptionist, guy I interviewed with was super cool and personable but when I started 2 weeks later learned he was fired.

Cons

Office is so cramped, don't even have a proper cubicle it's like a 2x3 ft desk with dividers, literally like boiler room packed in. 1st day of training they throw you a 28 page agreement and tell you to memorize it with no time in class to do so, so after spending 8 hrs learning about company policies and doing math equations you have to go home and memorize it, before sending you to California for "boot camp". I was super excited to start a new career but after learning the guy I just met with two weeks prior was fired I knew something with this company was up. They said growth was crazy and great time and they've been doing training class after training class for 4 months straight as I saw on career builder it was true but when i got the tour found it extremely odd that after all this hiring and training their were only 20 reps on the floor which means one thing, the people they are hiring are quitting after realizing how much they try to brainwash you and nothing they tell you is true. When you start you get like 3-4 leads which suck, all good leads go to outside reps. So you spend all day calling the same people over and over to look busy. Sorry I wasted my time and gas to drive to such a dump.

Just be honest about the position and training program during the interview. I feel they hire as many people as possible and give the job to anybody then just let the herd thin itself out and at the end you'll have a few people willing to endure the torture left, mostly kids out of college who don't know better, or the telemarketer kids thinking their getting a promotion who end up lasting.

Be careful...

Current Employee - Call Center Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Call Center Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company used to have a positive, friendly, warm atmosphere....and then the lay offs started and continued for 2+ years.

Cons

Inconsistent strategy, poor upper level leaders (Senior VPs, CEO, etc.) that treat people like a number and not like a person. This is a cut-throat company, regardless if you are performing, you can be replaced at any moment as evidenced by the repeated lay offs each year (and 2 in the past 60 days). If you want to be treated like a valueless commodity, this is a great spot for you.

If the strategy that is not working leads to a layoff, change your approach and your strategy. Cutting heads 1-2 times per year and making no changes to your plan will only result in the repeated action year after year. The employees are fearful each day they arrive at work, not knowing if this is the day they get let go.

If you want to be underpaid, work here.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great job for someone without sales skills because they pay you $15/hour to sit there and won't give you many leads the first 90 days.

Cons

3 weeks of training. 3 months of a cap on earnings set at $5000/month. No one in the company can explain to you how commissions are paid on leases. In the interview process they will tell you it is too complex to explain. Once I was working for the company, they have a complex 5 page document explaining how commissions are paid. After working there a while, the numbers panned out to be some of the lowest per KW payouts of any solar company in the industry. A lot of local AZ solar companies will pay double to triple the commissions for an equivalent size system, and you won't be stuck at an office in a cubicle from 9am to 6pm Mon-Fri with a half hour lunch break. Another con is they have outside sales teams and the inside sales team in Phoenix. The outside sales reps get all the better leads, and inside sales gets the leads that they don't want to send outside sales reps to. If you are weary of this statement, it came directly from the people that dispatch the leads!!! Average rep in the company makes 65K to 75K, with only 2 reps making over 100K. The two reps making over 100K do it mainly off of referral business off their database built from working there over 3 years, therefore for incoming reps to make a 6 figure income is an impossibility, which is unfortunate because with many other companies, it is easy to make a 6 figure income as a newbie and not have to go through a 3 week training process.

MUST READ: Don't be fooled by positive reviews

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

flexible hours if you need to leave for a doctors appointment you can make up that time within the week. The employees that work there have a sense of family and take care of one another.

Cons

Unannounced MASSIVE layoff on all levels. Hundreds of people were layed off to "cut the fat." Best leaders were let go leaving the Good Ole Boys that drink the company's koolaid. Parties and 'RAH RAH' weekly egofest still carry on while many people are being let go. One word: TACKY. If I could leave a zero rating I would. Do not buy into the reviews left by management. Stay far, far away.

No words....

Financial disaster. Keep telling everyone it's going to get better

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The other employees are doing their best with little guidance. I have huge respect for those employees who continue to do their jobs during mass firings.

Cons

Over 60% turnover while I was there. Closing offices in markets. No support, Huge favoritism, phony glass door reviews, poor leads. Telling employees who were just hired your costs are too high firing them while at the same time training more new employees

Stop firing good people because you can't make the business profitable. It takes at least 90 days to figure out the job. So why are you hiring people wasting their time and your money if you don't give them a chance.

HORRIBLE WORKPLACE

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Fresno, CA

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

money is great if you sell a lot of systems.

Cons

no communication from upper management, all managers only care if you sell. if you are struggling they will not hesitate on firing you. i was one of the top performers(top 5) in company but still they didnt hesitate to warn me or our whole team that they were shutting us down and close shop. Verengo wont care about you or your family and better to work for a different company who wants to keep loyal employees.

too much ugly to get into.

Abandoning their commitment to the employee to expand the business.

I have been working at Verengo Solar

Pros

Great income potential for lower level employees.

Cons

Employees are disposable. No loyalty to the workforce.

You had to know for months that you were accepting money from a private investor. To blindside your workforce with a no notice layoff contradicts the culture that made your company so great to work for. Obviously Verengo is and will continue to be successful, but to potentially destroy the lives of those that brought you to this point is shameful. Don't you think that they at least deserved some sort of notice?

Treats Employees Like CRAP

Current Employee - Installer in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Installer in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

NONE. They do not care about employees what so ever!

Cons

They don't allow workers restroom breaks. They do not give raises. They expect people to work outside their pay grade and not say anything about it. Running jobs as if they are a foreman but getting paid an installers pay, which is also too low! How dare you not care about your employees! They are what makes your company what it is! This company is run by a bunch of greedy idiots.

Treat your employees with respect! It's disgusting the way you go about business. I am truly disgusted by you!