Verengo Solar

Updated December 16, 2014
3.9

Verengo Solar CEO Randy Bishop
Randy Bishop

Pros
  • Great Work Environment - Fast paced work environment with a Family feel to the company, not a corporate juggernaut (in 8 reviews)

• Competitive pay, great structure, awesome company culture that really emphasizes the team (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a very competitive and fast-paced environment, may not be suitable for everyone (in 7 reviews)

• growing pains and finding balance gets to be a challenge (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great learning experience!

Current Employee - Canvasser in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Canvasser in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Verengo Solar part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very open and engaging staff, great schedule if you have your own vehicle and you save folks money with solar energy!

Cons

Schedule can be unconventional and requires you to work on the weekend. You need a personal vehicle!

Establish offices where canvass teams meet and drive in a company van or bus to different canvassing locations so as to save gas and limit CO2 footprint.

Dont trust

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Made good money thats it.

Cons

Massive layoffs since July 2014.

Cut your losses and get out now

Had a good 4 year run

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can't say as much right before I left but the people I worked for and around were the main reason I stayed so long. The way we took that company from a small player in the industry to the leading installer was just tremendous and I had the opportunity to grow through that with the company.

Cons

Unless you know the right people there you have little to no chance for advancement. The money used to be good but because they are loosing so much now they kept a few low paying execs and all the entry level people on board to help cut cost. I made good money right at the end of it all and I think that was one of the reasons I was let go. I cost to much to retain. They will change the pay structures over and over again if you start making too much.

I have none. I had some great managers and some not so great managers. There are still a few that work there but most of the people that made this place Tick in unison the way that it used to are gone. I think it was a point that I needed to part ways and head into a different direction. Seen some good hard working people lose their jobs when I think they should have been retained and shifted to another position.

Canvassing ,Brand Ambassador,

Current Employee - Canvassing, Brand Ambassador, in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Canvassing, Brand Ambassador, in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Verengo Solar part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good potential pay, with hourly plus commissions.People making $850 a week for 30 hours

Cons

Walking 5 to 8 miles a shift outdoors in all conditions. Required to work in pouring rain ,walking door to door. Working until 8 pm at night during the winter, very dangerous and scared home owners opening doors with guns on you.

In Southern California it does not rain much so requiring your people go out in pouring rain at night to be sick during the weekend when you make the most contacts is poor treatment of your employees.

Never try switching departments to advance

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun people next to you, relaxed environment, just get your work done

Cons

Never apply to another department or expect to be asked for your two weeks notice. The director of Customer Experience asked two of us to place in our two weeks notice. This is because if you are hired as a customer service representative and apply for inside sales, two weeks is you make or your out type deal. She wanted to make it as your not being able to come back to the position period. I left the company because of this, that was a dumb mistake on their end.

Allow your people to advance to a higher promotion, don't try and hold people back. Its unbelievable.

Terrible place to work don't believe the hype.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Ahwatukee, AZ
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Ahwatukee, AZ

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I truly can't think of one, uh friendly receptionist, guy I interviewed with was super cool and personable but when I started 2 weeks later learned he was fired.

Cons

Office is so cramped, don't even have a proper cubicle it's like a 2x3 ft desk with dividers, literally like boiler room packed in. 1st day of training they throw you a 28 page agreement and tell you to memorize it with no time in class to do so, so after spending 8 hrs learning about company policies and doing math equations you have to go home and memorize it, before sending you to California for "boot camp". I was super excited to start a new career but after learning the guy I just met with two weeks prior was fired I knew something with this company was up. They said growth was crazy and great time and they've been doing training class after training class for 4 months straight as I saw on career builder it was true but when i got the tour found it extremely odd that after all this hiring and training their were only 20 reps on the floor which means one thing, the people they are hiring are quitting after realizing how much they try to brainwash you and nothing they tell you is true. When you start you get like 3-4 leads which suck, all good leads go to outside reps. So you spend all day calling the same people over and over to look busy. Sorry I wasted my time and gas to drive to such a dump.

Just be honest about the position and training program during the interview. I feel they hire as many people as possible and give the job to anybody then just let the herd thin itself out and at the end you'll have a few people willing to endure the torture left, mostly kids out of college who don't know better, or the telemarketer kids thinking their getting a promotion who end up lasting.

Be careful...

Current Employee - Call Center Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Call Center Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company used to have a positive, friendly, warm atmosphere....and then the lay offs started and continued for 2+ years.

Cons

Inconsistent strategy, poor upper level leaders (Senior VPs, CEO, etc.) that treat people like a number and not like a person. This is a cut-throat company, regardless if you are performing, you can be replaced at any moment as evidenced by the repeated lay offs each year (and 2 in the past 60 days). If you want to be treated like a valueless commodity, this is a great spot for you.

If the strategy that is not working leads to a layoff, change your approach and your strategy. Cutting heads 1-2 times per year and making no changes to your plan will only result in the repeated action year after year. The employees are fearful each day they arrive at work, not knowing if this is the day they get let go.

If you want to be underpaid, work here.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great job for someone without sales skills because they pay you $15/hour to sit there and won't give you many leads the first 90 days.

Cons

3 weeks of training. 3 months of a cap on earnings set at $5000/month. No one in the company can explain to you how commissions are paid on leases. In the interview process they will tell you it is too complex to explain. Once I was working for the company, they have a complex 5 page document explaining how commissions are paid. After working there a while, the numbers panned out to be some of the lowest per KW payouts of any solar company in the industry. A lot of local AZ solar companies will pay double to triple the commissions for an equivalent size system, and you won't be stuck at an office in a cubicle from 9am to 6pm Mon-Fri with a half hour lunch break. Another con is they have outside sales teams and the inside sales team in Phoenix. The outside sales reps get all the better leads, and inside sales gets the leads that they don't want to send outside sales reps to. If you are weary of this statement, it came directly from the people that dispatch the leads!!! Average rep in the company makes 65K to 75K, with only 2 reps making over 100K. The two reps making over 100K do it mainly off of referral business off their database built from working there over 3 years, therefore for incoming reps to make a 6 figure income is an impossibility, which is unfortunate because with many other companies, it is easy to make a 6 figure income as a newbie and not have to go through a 3 week training process.

Been here for 6 months

Current Employee - SSA Solar Site Assessor in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - SSA Solar Site Assessor in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Professional, growing company. Pays well. Great job security (as far as the solar industry is concerned). The company works to improve its employees, as opposed to letting them go on a regular basis to hire new ones.

Cons

Like any competitive industry, they can demand a lot from you.

Create more room for advancement within the company.

MUST READ: Don't be fooled by positive reviews

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

flexible hours if you need to leave for a doctors appointment you can make up that time within the week. The employees that work there have a sense of family and take care of one another.

Cons

Unannounced MASSIVE layoff on all levels. Hundreds of people were layed off to "cut the fat." Best leaders were let go leaving the Good Ole Boys that drink the company's koolaid. Parties and 'RAH RAH' weekly egofest still carry on while many people are being let go. One word: TACKY. If I could leave a zero rating I would. Do not buy into the reviews left by management. Stay far, far away.

No words....