Verenium

Verenium President, CEO, and Director James E. (Jamie) Levine
James E. (Jamie) Levine

Great technology and team

I worked at Verenium

Pros

Great people to work with. Fun, stimulating environments. Good science and technology.

Cons

Lots of changes to direction and priorities. Resources tend to be spread pretty thin

Great Culture, Great Facility, Great People to Work With

Former Employee - Research Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Verenium as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Culture is unique
    Facilities are new and include a Recreation Center and Organic Cafeteria
    Next to UCSD

Cons

The Cafeteria is too Expensive

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Senior Director of Purchasing in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Director of Purchasing in San Diego, CA

I worked at Verenium full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

On site gym, good work life balance

Cons

Recently became part of BASF

Interesting science and good work-life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Verenium full-time

Pros

The science is interesting, the work site is great, and employees can have a good work-life balance. Management seems trustworthy. There is a gym (free, unless you take classes) on the campus.

Cons

None, really. Well, the traffic in the evening to get to the I-5 (at Genesee) can be fairly bad, but it's better than the Sorrento Valley/I-805 S evening traffic where the company used to be located.

Great Place/people

Current Employee - Staff Scientist I in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist I in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Verenium

Pros

the people are amazing, though the overall culture has taken a hit with the loss of significant people (due to BP split), it is still a neat/fun place to work. Management in the SD site has the commitment and ability to continue the great culture/environment. If they are careful.

Cons

Many years of uncertainty, low rewards due to lack of money.

There is a real big opportunity, really the first time Verenium has this singular focus on its enzyme business, hopfully mgmnt can keep the focus for a while and not squander the rest of the money on some large/high-risk endevour (at least not until they have the Enz-business more on its feet!)

There may be some speed bumps, but nothing is going to stop this company.

Current Employee - Staff in Jennings, LA
    Current Employee - Staff in Jennings, LA

I have been working at Verenium

Pros

If you are into being "Green", you would love working for Verenium. The attitude and drive to make Cellulosic Ethanol and free us from foreign oil is incredible. This is a new technology and has plenty of challenges, but the mindset of management, the employees and even the partners we work with is not just "we can do it", but that "we will do it." The best part is that they have committed to doing everything safely and in a way that not only doesn't hurt the environment, but actually helps the environment. I couldn't be more proud to work for a company.

Cons

Working in an industry that is new makes each day a challenge. This is a positive thing most of the time, but can be draining once in a while. The saying, "the only thing that doesn't change is change itself" has never been more true that here. Working here definitely keeps you on your toes.

Setting goals and deadlines is a good thing, but if they are always overly optimistic and can barely ever be met on time, moral suffers. Be aggressive, set goals, but be realistic and make sure they are achievable.

Verenium, Diversa's grim successor

I have been working at Verenium

Pros

The company culture is great: laid back, welcoming, there's definitely a tight knit community present there.

Cons

No room to grow. There are certain people on the fast track of career development, others are left stagnant.

Be competitive with other companies by investing in your employees. Better salaries, promotions, paid trainings & conferences. Listen to the key people in the lab on how things need to be accomplished versus corporate. The company is top heavy! The executive team is focused on the biofuels sector of the company versus the specialty enzyme side, they need to more evenly allocate resources.