Verifone

Updated February 22, 2015
2.6

Verifone Chief Executive Officer Paul Galant
Paul Galant

Pros
  • Can work from home depending on your department and job (in 6 reviews)

• Good people at the lower levels - I would definitely work with them again (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No career growth, management clueless of the tech stack and cannot make decisions (in 7 reviews)

• Work-Life balance: Depends on Manager, Project, team-mates (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Software engineer work

Former Employee - Software Engineer Specialist in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Specialist in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Verifone full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good work
    Good perks
    good amount of leaves

Cons

timings of work are a bit messed up as most of the work is done in coordination with people sitting across timezones

Nice work culture, average pay, no swipe in swipe out.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Verifone full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice work culture, lot to learn in payment domain, flexible time, salary breakup doesn't have variable pay. Above salary company pays for daily commute, special day allowance, no need to pay extra premium for dependents medical insurance. Two shutdowns for a week in a year. Good to start carrier.

Cons

Hr department is worst. After certain time period, learning curve doesn't grow. Job won't be stable.

Hr department is worst. No maturity level, don't want to work.

All verifoner's need to start taking further steps for quality, innovation, best practices. They need training from experts to deliver quality in time.

Not a place for fresher

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Verifone

Pros

Flexible Timing.
    Work - life balance is good but sometimes its hectic.

Cons

No Challenging work.
    No Proper training.
    Not a place for fresh grad.
    No technical growth.

Care for employees more. If your employees are happy then your will be.Try to become people first.

Verifone Portugal - Backstabbing and Liars

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lisbon (Portugal)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lisbon (Portugal)

I have been working at Verifone full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You'll get experience from the work and from all the backstabbing.

Cons

Backstabbing, liars, below market salary, no management steering, etc... No career advancement opportunities. Bad work environment, no one is happy there.

Talk to employees. Ask for advice. Be fair to all and impartial in your decisions. If not, change company and leave your employees without a manager, they be better off without you.

Could be a great company, in fact is, but just for some few!

I have been working at Verifone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Opportunity to work with people from different parts of the world.
    - We will have opportunity to do and learn different things.
    - Opportunity to learn about the business and the industry if you work with tecnology.
    - Good salaries if we are part of the (Choosen Ones).

Cons

- Employees are pieces, could be replaced at any time.I know that is the rule in any industry, but here is a strong guideline.
    - Low salaries, for most part of the employees.
    - Performance evaluation is a joke.
    - Chance of receive a pay raise exists, but we could wait for a joke, I see raises of 2% of the annual base pay, after a GOOD grade in the annual performance evaluation. But I heard about raises of 70% for some special employees.
    - The perks are outdated, wake up HR.
    - The executives say about culture change, cost cuts, but we have sales meeting in the caribbean, full bonus for some executives, car allowances, CEO makes a town hall in Europe and take with him more than 50 people to listen him there for almost one week,I believe that they didn´t stay housed in a hostel, GIVE ME A BREAK, and others things that doesn´t make sense if you are trying to save money.
    - The executives in the US needs to authorize everithing, if you need to buy a computer, a reeimbursement, a hiring of an intern and every stupid thing that I believe that someone that earns more than USD 500k year could not waste his time with.
    - The company has a numberless of Sr Managers, Directors, VP, SVP around the world, but them don´t have power, the decisions take too much time to be made, projects are postponed endlessly.
    - There are no processes in the company.
    - Very political company, meritocracy is just for a few.
    - Bonus for just a few, most part of the employees don´t have any.
    - Too much talking about changes, but the reality is very different.
    - No trainning at all for anything.
    - Upper management needs to be better prepared or hired.
    - There are too many bosses for a company of this size.

Wake up, employees need to be recognized and better treated. Employees are not replaceable parts.Give power to people in the subsidiaries, the employees from the rest of the world are not savages.

Unorganized and unprofessional. Would give zero stars if I could.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Verifone full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay isn't bad, although below average.
    Some hard working people.

Cons

Depending on the location. My experience was awful. I gave this place numerous chances throughout my time here. To sum it up, bad management is ruining this company. There are lots of people in "leadership" roles with no leadership skills. Communication is also seriously lacking. There's lots of improper documentation if any at all. There is no process put in place on how to do most things, and yet so much red tape because management can make up rules as they go, often times not to the employees' benefit. I've experienced utterly shocking unprofessional behaviors. I won't go into detail here, but I'm surprised that those people still have a job. Yet those people get away with it because management is just as unprofessional along with playing favorites. HR is also useless because reporting those incidents means nothing but a write-up after another write-up. Management seems to be under the impression that whoever complains, it means those people are doing something and staying busy. The real, hard workers don't complain nearly as much. Lots of lazy employees here that know exactly who to please to keep their jobs. There is no training or development for employees. They say "it's a great place to learn" but what they really mean is that you'll figure it out for yourself after many mistakes and headaches when most of those can be avoided if only there was proper training and guidance.

Implement training and continuous development to employees of all levels. This includes all aspect of work topics - professionalism, leadership, how-to tutorials, positive guidance, etc. Get rid of your lazy employees. Give leadership titles to those that really deserves it, meaning people with the skills as well as people/interpersonal skills. Give your hardworking contractors the salary/benefits that they deserve and quit dangling the carrot in front of them to say "it's out of our control" to hire them for salary. Value your employees and real talent. Find a way to boost your employee morale, and quit playing favorites!

FAILURE to value employees or customers

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Verifone

Pros

Great people in mid to individual contributing roles. Market benefits, market pay.

Cons

Oh where to begin....
    # Leadership speaks to valuing employee but actions do not reflect same. Immediately following mass lay off of regular employees, is the hiring of many senior roles, director,vp, svp, etc.These folks are coming in with their "strategic" ideas but are "too high level" to help with the day to day work left unmanned by the recent layoffs, instead are able to assess that work is incomplete or not managed and citing those remaining for the inefficiencies.
    #Sr. Management has been absent at the wheel. They are fine to continue negligent spending - resort vacations, fine dining experiences, lunch provided daily (only for execs, no food available on site for employees), while citing the need to cut back on instructional data, key tools for the job etc. Absurd mis match of spending.
    #While the company has been in transform and failing, execs continue to receive full bonus and perks. Bonus is not available to most employee, citing budget and rebuilding.....hmmmm
    #Layoffs for some coworkers happened right after they received favorable reviews and annual pay increase...BEWARE do not feel too comfortable when your boss tells u that u r doing a great job and gives u pay increase.
    #No training available, random and broken processes.
    #Great people are continuing to leave the company, about 6 months for the talented new hires to realize they made a big mistake joining this troubled company and they leave for better opportunity that is not hard to find.
    #Too much stress, the more u do the more they want and no appreciation for above and beyond efforts. I guess in there mind taking in additional work and working 12hr days and weekends is just another day. If you do more then less for the management team to do and they can leave the office early and be unavailable in off hours.
    #I was excited for the oppt to work at Verifone and to help with their transition....now I see that I was just another gullible hire. This company just drains u and spits u out, without even a thank you. Worst mistake of my career, not paying more creed to the reviews.

Continue the transform. But, lead by example! Engage in the work not just the perks, oversight and criticisms. Value your employees! Without the dedicated and hardworking employees that you have, you will not have a company to continue paying your absurd and undeserved bonuses.

Friendly people, sort of dead end job, not good for growth

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Rocklin, CA
    Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Rocklin, CA

I worked at Verifone

Pros

stability, predictable work environment, friendly people, work life balance

Cons

no growth prospects, company rewards loyalty but does not reward smart people, old school thinking, not enough challenge, salary not competitive

modernize

Not the right place!!!!

I have been working at Verifone

Pros

Pros could be a place for short stay... Banking domain exp

Cons

Bad people management, Sal is ok but not desired... Its better not to choose this company!!!

Good people, sub market pay

I worked at Verifone full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Have a well known name in the payment industry

Cons

Lots of politics and pay is well below the market

Continue your turnaround plans paying extra attention to retaining talent