Verifone

Updated January 25, 2015
2.7

Verifone Chief Executive Officer Paul Galant
Paul Galant

Pros
  • Can work from home depending on your department and job (in 6 reviews)

• Good people at the lower levels - I would definitely work with them again (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No career growth, management clueless of the tech stack and cannot make decisions (in 7 reviews)

• Work-Life balance: Depends on Manager, Project, team-mates (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

VeriFone Continues to Stumble

Current Employee - Marketing in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Verifone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is good.

Cons

This company will use you for everything you have and will then blame you for executive management failures. There is still plenty of house cleaning that is needed to improve this company, especially marketing. They occasionally fire or layoff co-workers to remind us all to stay in line.
    This company can take a good thing and destroy it. This includes people and acquired products. There is little future in terminals, but Verifone can't do anything to get out of the terminal space. They bought Sailpay and quickly destroyed it. Then they bought Globalbay and destroyed that too. The negative energy of this place is too heavy to recover.

Remove everyone from your directors up who has been at the company more than a few years.

VeriFone is an innovative payment solution and services provider that gains success from its people and our partners!

I have been working at Verifone

Pros

This company believes in what the people can contribute. We believe in value and quality instead of quantity.

Cons

We could be more centralized in many aspects, which I believe we could be moving more towards.

If we are to compete with the top tier technology companies in the world, the employees should be invested in as much as other high end tech companies do.

Working at VeriFone has been very rewarding.

I have been working at Verifone part-time

Pros

One of the pros for working at VeriFone, is that you are always involved with new technologies that are being used everyday by 99% of the US.

Cons

The company is too spread out over the US. At times it is too difficult to get work accomplished when dealing with employees in all areas.

Stressful Work Environment / Oppressive Management

Former Employee - Anonymous in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Verifone full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are good people here if you look.

The benefits are fine, but you have to be middle to upper level to real bonuses like stock options.

Cons

There are unsympathetic, overbearing, oppressive people here whether you look or not.

Upper management is out of touch with front line employees.

Departments have insufficient man power. Verifone has traditionally ran their departments very thin so there are often times when everyone is overwhelmed with more work than they have the manpower for.

Communications between departments is generally poor. It is not uncommon for one department to make demands against other departments instead of working with them.

Verifone is aware that their employee morale is low, but they do not take steps to try and bring them together.

There is very little career advancement except for minor advancement within the same department.

Salaries are at the low end for the industry.

Ethics questionable under former CEO

I worked at Verifone full-time

Pros

Good people at the lower levels - I would definitely work with them again. Established product in the marketplace. Ok benefits.

Cons

It's been a while, but it was more of a sweatshop than other companies known for having long hours. Definitely pressure use to exist to be on the gray side of rules & regulations. Perhaps it is better now under the new CFO.

Great

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Verifone as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

It was a great environment working place. Everyone so much friendly & helpful. Company it self very large growing rapidly . Company provide lots of benefit for employe.

Cons

Friendly environment. I had a nice working experience . Had a yearly bonus .

No comments

Full of Political Bureaucracy

I worked at Verifone

Pros

lot of potential in the organization to lead the industry,

Cons

Worst Management structure. Many people been there for more than 25+ years and will not let you make any changes in organization. part of the reason why the organization internal structure and process is out dated and chaotic. Management can't face the ugly truth.....

please bring in some fresh blood and fresh idea to the top - to - Mid level management. and focus on employee career growth.

Very Tough!

Former Employee - Human Resources Representative in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Representative in San Jose, CA

I worked at Verifone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will learn a lot since there are not good specialization and people has to be multitask. People at all levels and in the vast majority of the countries are nice and are willing to help each other.
    Salaries are benefits are good.

Cons

A lot of politics within the company. To be considered for a promotion you should be part of a management group and compromise in absolute loyalty. Frequently bad practices are hidden for management and lose a lot of time trying to find out who to blame to.
    There are no planning. I oftenly worked on plans that never saw reality, without considering that in 3 years I had 5 managers.

Managers are dinosaurs.

New Leadership, Positive Outlook

I have been working at Verifone full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Positive improvements are on the horizon under the new leadership. Paul has a great vision for the company. The company is moving in the right direction. Salaries are fair with a decent benefits package. The overall work environment is positive.

Cons

There are a lot of talented people that work for the company; however, there is a lack of career growth and advancement opportunities. Some teams choose to work in silos vs. leveraging other people's skills to achieve a common goal.

Empower employees and encourage professional development

Former Engineer - OS

Former Employee - Senior Software Design Engineer in Rocklin, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Design Engineer in Rocklin, CA

I worked at Verifone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work to learn.
    I learned the secrets of linux in Verifone.
    The lower manager and the teammates were awesome.
    The greatest neighborhood in Rocklin CA.
    Learning the payment industry and contacting the international market vendors (walmart, verifone taxi, walgreen)

Cons

First, I wanted to comment to the "LIARS" who claim (bonus) here.
    NO bonus, no promotion I have heard of, we were mocking the word "bonus" locally.

Very-Frugal-fone, payment is less than what I made as an intern!!

The upper management are having no clue what they are planning for (just like a social government, whoever has the highest rank in the party, will make the decision, regardless to his efficiency).

Customers are not satisfied at all.

I changed 5 managers in two years (working in the same team) - yes every 5 months in average my manager changed!
    I got bad evaluation from a manager who didnt see me onsite (and because of not being onsite- they changed him).

I got a strange and unexpected layoff.

Many managers manage 2-3 engineers only, many directors supervise 2-3 managers.

Thanks, I learned the secrets of OS from Verifone OS team.
    More thanks for laying me off, within two months after, I found a much better job, much better payment, much better MIT / Harvard /CMU /NEU / BU PhDs.
    You gave me a good motivation to discover myself, to get a better career and better income.

Fight hard for your position, no one will hire you, maybe in the best case enlisted lowest ranks in the army.
    Apply as enlisted in the army, I hope you can pass the decision making test.

Changing the CEO doesn't work, the system is already corrupt.