Verify (California)

Updated August 20, 2014
Updated August 20, 2014

2.6

Alan J. McIntosh

Would consider returning - especially if new system is operating and with a different supervisor

Former Employee - Accounting  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting in Irvine, CA

Pros

-Interesting business model
    -Company seems to be investing in future - services, systems, and people
    -Decent work-life balance, I could leave my job at the office and get out by 6 every night
    -Learned a lot, although much was on my own/figuring things out
    -Many nice people (even some of the complainers are nice, they just make working at Verify tough day in and day out)
    -I liked the top leadership, too - very smart and (some) were very nice

Cons

-Lots of negative influences, although a number of the complaining types seem to have left since my departure
    -Some of my peers (I am on the young side) have not worked at many companies so they brought less experience but a high expectation of what they should be paid, how the company should operate, etc.
    -Repeated restructurings made many nervous
    -Outdated IT systems and having to work in so many disconnected databases made my job tedious and boring at times, although I understand they are finally about to deploy their ERP system.
    -Training was lacking in my department

One bad apple spoils the whole bunch. I suggest leadership move faster to part ways with those who are not pulling their weight or are terribly negative - especially if they are in a supervisor role. My manager was not a good example for me and tough to work for although I understand she is now gone. Consider people who have more experience in other companies so they can compare past and present opportunities. This was one of my first jobs out of college and I did not expect much, but some people thought they should be promoted every year and get big raises even during the recession. Hire for attitude versus just aptitude. I am sad to see all this negativity. Leadership needs to fix it. If so, I might want to come back. I believe in what you are trying to achieve.

This is a good company with a bright future. If people are not happy they should definitely move on.

Current Employee - Integrated Program Team  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Integrated Program Team in Irvine, CA

Pros

They develop and promote good people. Leaders work really hard...maybe too hard. Lots of learning opportunities with Verify University but too busy to get to take the courses. Nice people to work with. Benefits are much better here than at my other family members employers. Bonus plan has been created (finally!) Work / life balance meets my needs and is getting even better (although this does not appear to be consistent).

Cons

ERP has been a big distraction the past few years. Multiple restructurings has impacted morale. Hoping that once ERP is done the organizational structure will be more consistent. Level of appreciation of employees varies across the organization - inconsistent. Some leaders judge employees by the hours they work versus contribution to the company.

Hurry up and finish ERP project so we can reduce the distractions, get back to our focus and have some time to advance learning and development initiatives. Get rid of toxic people that are not on board with company strategy and values. Create and deploy bonus plans where they need to be (or were promised.)

If you have been with the company less than 5 years you likely won't stay 5 years.

Pros

Company offers competitive insurance for it being a private $65 Million company. Standard 2 weeks vacation, sick time, and 401k.

Cons

Stability is non existent. If you have lasted past 5 years chances are you aren't going to leave because you can't find something you are qualified for. Upper management is a joke and cares very little about employee morale or turnover. There is virtually no HR department to go to with problems, no true employee development or training. Everything is done on the fly and when there is time. People move up based on location and not experience or performance. Pay is very low compared to the market and not equitable among the same positions across the company. Most positions below the program lead level are like a revolving door. Probably no less than 10 recruiters have come and gone in the last year alone and many of the best just couldn't take managements incompetents. If customers knew how bad things were on the inside or the true quality of contractors I feel they would be looking at another service provider. Luckily for this company their small role in the big world is critical and very few companies do it well.

Actually invest in your employees like you want them to stay and reward those who truly deserve it. Stop pretending that you are fixing the true problem by restructuring to cure a symptom with a temporary fix. Finish ERP already and move on before your best people continue to leave.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dead end job - zero room to grow

Former Employee - Recruiter  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Irvine, CA

Pros

I built great relationships with other dissatisfied employees in each office! (TX,CT,CA & UK)

Cons

Verify lies to their employees – I was promised advancement, proper trainings and commission, and guess what I got? Nothing. They do nothing but blow smoke, recruiters were promised a nice commission package and we never saw one red cent, and it was basically swept under the rug, almost like “ what are you talking about? We never said that” Lies. I made a little over 16 dollars an hour, closing out there orders and vamping up there business – I never saw one bonus, no commission, no nothing! The only thing Verify recognized was when you did something wrong. I know for a fact that new employees hired for a recruiter position we’re hired believing that we’re going to get commission, and they quit without ever seeing that. Verify would rather spend big bucks to bring in new workers, rather than promoting their internal staff, which is a slap in the face.
    I was with the company for over 5 years…but when some changes we’re made in the management department – it went downhill so fast. I never realized how unfair this place was. I know there are good people that still work at the company (word of advice GET OUT), but most of the staff is greedy and heartless – putting their own needs first, setting unreachable goals only to make themselves look better in their higher ups eyes. And be careful if you do end up working here and you get pregnant and go on maternity leave. I truly feel deep in my heart that I was treated different after I returned from leave, I am sorry but my child will always come first – not a company that does nothing for me. They also let a girl go during her maternity leave, she was due to return to work in a week and they called her up and simply told her that her role had been eliminated. That was a really heartless thing to do to a new mom – shame on you.

Don't treat your employees like disposal trash – we make your company what it is. Better pay, be fair and give internal employees a chance to grow - not just upper management

For your own good STAY AWAY

Former Employee - Program Coordinator  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Irving, TX

Pros

none, unless your a complainer, backstabbing, tear down and complete disregard for humanity

Cons

worse gossips including mid-management
    everything is made a big deal off
    always willing to cut everyone down
    project specialists treated like numbers, no regard for their well being
    people who are kept are not well paid, and the worst muck slingers i've ever met

think about people as people, and stop working for yourself...no one seems to even work for the company everyone is out to get something for themselves

You wanted the truth...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Pros

Some benefits are good and many lower level employees are nice to work with.

Cons

Where do I begin? Oh okay I'll start with why I'm writing this. An executive emailed employees asking that they leave an honest review of the company since they noticed several negative comments and they would like to protect their image.

The company doesn't care how their employees feel just their public image. Employees are given little opportunity for advancement and have no job security as no one is safe from termination regardless of performance. They even laid a woman off while she was on "maternity leave" which was really just unpaid leave since employees aren't eligible for anything else. The few people that have stayed with the company are beat down with work and aren't qualified to work anywhere else so they are just stuck. Here at corporate the senior managers drive fancy cars and act like big shots but contribute very little to the company. If I could rewind time I would have never accepted this job.

Show compassion toward your employees at all levels and not just your "buddy" group. Pay people what they deserve and actually try to get your employee engagement up from 0. Hope this review is what you were looking for... An honest opinion.

Staffing Company with Incompetent Management

Current Employee - IT  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - IT in Irvine, CA

Pros

Its close to the freeway.
    Most of your co-workers are really friendly.

Cons

Management has no clue what they are doing
    They abuse college grads, and have made it a strategic point to hire students without exp
    High turnover rate
    Low Employee morale
    Ridiculous dress code

Lose the attitude, you manage a tiny company that barely registers on the blip. Directors:Most of you are the in positions you're in because of time and how long you've been with the company, or relationship to a certains directors son. You're nothing special. Give up the company "paid" for cars and give your employees a decent bonus. The injustice of seeing your BMW while I got a 50$ giftcard as a holiday bonus was insulting. Also stop acting like you're some important part of the "Resource delivery process" and admit that Verify is a glorified Staffing company. Directors are ingenious and made me feel oily after forcefully having to say "hi" to them. The best thing that you can do for Verify is to get rid of current management and proceed to hire people with actual people skills. Id like to thank the July 30th post for motivating me to write this post. IF YOURE READING THIS AND CONTEMPLATING TAKING A JOB OFFER: Dont (unless you really, really, really, need a job. But even then, just keep looking for another one. ) July 30th, please keep us posted on this "class action" as I'd like to participate under: harassment.

Worse company I have ever worked for!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Pros

Immediate bonding with fellow employees due to everyone not liking to work there.

Cons

Where can one start with this dysfunctional company!?!? How this company has stayed in business for so long is a HUGE mystery. they are supposed to be ISO 9001 certified but yet EVERYONE does what they want except for when they get audited. Forget trying to point it out to management, most of them don't even know how to do their own job let alone the right way since they all have been there so long they only the "Verify" way. They bring in employees that have no previous experience in the role they were hired for, and their so called training is a HUGE joke. Then they started to bring in "experienced" people who right away knew that we don't do things the right way. Our systems are so archaic that a DOS based version would be an improvement. then they wonder why plenty of us are constantly quitting or completely unhappy here but stay cause we need to get paid. Speaking of pay, it is on the lower end of the pay ranges for every position. If the clients of Verify REALLY knew how they worked i'm sure this company would be out of business in a heartbeat. Best part is that if you try to complain to their human resources department they don't care either, since they are outsourced they wouldn't want to lose the contract. There is even a rumor that a class action lawsuit is in the works from several ex and current employees, can't wait to jump on that wagon train.

Get some management training to help avoid disgruntled employees and hopefully run the business better. Pay attention to the morale of the employees, it is SO low and no one seems to care! More of us are quitting, so better start hiring!

ok place to work

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Engineer in Hartford, CT

Pros

nice people to work with.

Cons

management focused on the wrong ideas.

invest more in your employees and you will see growth within your departments.

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

Pros

Young and Energetic team, Customer focused and driven to exceed expectations

Cons

I see no cons working at Verify

None.

Worked for Verify (California)? Contribute to the Community!