Verio

Add Photos

Verio President & CEO Hideyuki Yamasawa

Hideyuki Yamasawa

Incompetent leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt's a paycheck
    Bonus every year

ConsMany groups are slow and/or completely inept
    No accountability
    Japanese leadership is scared of its own shadow
    Dev group is "lead" by someone who would probably have issues running a hot dog stand

I enjoy working here!

Prosfriendly staff andi have th ebst boss!

Consno raise for many employees

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease help out us all!

Good place to work

ProsEmployee friendly. Good work environment

ConsSomewhat lacking in energy. No clear sense of direction

Advice to Senior ManagementMotivate. Innovate. Expand. The company has good name recognition. Need to capitalize

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Chaos, confusion, lack of innovation, antiquated products

Marketing (Former Employee)

ProsYou want to live in south Florida. Most all other offices are closed or closing now as of mid-2013. There may still be some openings in Denver for accounting.

ConsConstant reorganization. Some employees get fired and rehired before their severence is even up. Japanese leadership treats it like a farm team or worse a petri dish. Strategically flawed and outdated business model and products. Leadership will not invest in systems to fix the necessary customer systems to make the company last into the future. Portal is from the dark ages. Yes they invented server virtualization but that was in 2001 and they have not improved it since. This company Is unfortunately Japan's bad investment and they just won't give it up and call it a day. I would not recommend working here to anyone because it is incredibly frustrating to always be apologizing and trying to improve things that cannot and will not change. I'm not bitter - I truly think its too late for this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the customer base before its gone.

Gave so much time to Verio, for very little return

Tech Support II (Former Employee)

ProsMy time at Verio did allow me to Network with other teams and learn well above and beyond what was considered needed for my position. Many of the skills I learned while employed there I still use to this day.

ConsNo advancement.
    Severely Underpaid.
    Horrible Management.
    Lousy Benefits.
    No continued training. Everything beyond your first week is up to you. On that note training was 3 full weeks when I started, it's now down to a week for First Level Agents.

Wonderful place to learn new skills

ProsWork autonomously while learning new skills and meeting great people. Love the relaxed atmosphere. Every one is very approachable and nice.

ConsSlow to make decisions. Puts many projects on hold. Hurry up and wait is a good way to describe the pace of work.

Not a bad place to work

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee)
    Boca Raton, FL

ProsGood friendly people. Flexible work schedule.

ConsManagement changes and changes direction regularly

The potential to be so much more

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsThe name of NTT behind the company, even though they have little to do with the day to day selling cycle.
    Supposedly the lack of debt and the presence of deep pockets.

ConsNo clear, sustainable direction from management.
    Product is falling well behind the competition. Anything new is mostly marketing fluff.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide what you want to be long term and put the right team in place to get you there. Then support the team, the message and the customer in a consistent manner.

Account Executive IV

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsCoworkers were very personable, there was good camaraderie among them. Verio used to be quite a leader in the web hosting industry, had some of the best government and corporate high power companies for clients, and manage huge hosting facilities connected to MAE west; not sure the connectivity on east coast. Not sure of their lead at this time.

ConsTop out of country management gave orders that were not reasonable: hire 20 people this month, cut 10 next month, etc. Middle and low managers would come and go - every 4 months we got new management and there was a lot of turmoil around it.

Sales managers had this idea that clients should be contacted every 3 months, or the rep would lose them. This caused for a lot of scramble and unfair fighting. Why spend a lot of time with a client, only to have them call back for upgrades and get assigned to a new rep who had not made the investment?

There was also too much emphasis on making 60-100 calls a day, which did not lend to quality time with clients, nor to follow up with clients, nor getting any paperwork done. Both strategies were not well managed. Also, when we got a deal, there was very little hoopla and praise. Perhaps its better now in CO.

Corporate layoffs (I experienced 3) were often, and usually cut salaries. For example, layoff someone making $60k, and rehire someone else at $35k a few months later.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for qualities of character when hiring, not just brag sheet. Consider promoting from within more; they are generally your best people anyhow, not outsiders that do not know the company yet. When I was there, promotion within only happened roughly 20% of the time. A lot of good talent was lost and went away because of that.

It was fun while it lasted.

Customer Service (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsFrom 1998-2002 it was great. Stock Option checks. Dot com boom. Was a growing company and promotions were handed out like stock options. It was a lot of fun.

ConsGetting laid off in 2002.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management is all different now.

Worked for Verio? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Verio reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Verio CEO Hideyuki Yamasawa . All 54 reviews posted anonymously by Verio employees.