Verio

Add Photos

Verio President & CEO Hideyuki Yamasawa

Hideyuki Yamasawa

Incompetent leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt's a paycheck
Bonus every year

ConsMany groups are slow and/or completely inept
No accountability
Japanese leadership is scared of its own shadow
Dev group is "lead" by someone who would probably have issues running a hot dog stand

The potential to be so much more

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Verio full-time for more than a year

ProsThe name of NTT behind the company, even though they have little to do with the day to day selling cycle.
Supposedly the lack of debt and the presence of deep pockets.

ConsNo clear, sustainable direction from management.
Product is falling well behind the competition. Anything new is mostly marketing fluff.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide what you want to be long term and put the right team in place to get you there. Then support the team, the message and the customer in a consistent manner.

One Dysfunctional Place!

Marketing (Former Employee)
Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

I worked at Verio full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits are good, financially stable - backed by NTT Communications Company.

ConsPoor Executive Management, no clear direction, Japanese-owned company with different business approach/management style from most US companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together, clearly communicate the vision and direction for the company

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The people are nice. The management is clueless

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)
Orem, UT

I worked at Verio full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are a number of people - particularly at the old iServer offices (Utah) - that are nice, intelligent, and have a clue about hosting.

ConsThe management is all driven by marketing and M&A - without any real understanding of the underlying business. This disconnect leads to serial poor decisions and sustained pressure on the employees. Layoffs happen frequently, and the entire company would be gone if not for sustained support from the parent corporation. Those with the most mobility (best education, most experience, strongest prospects) are all going or gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementReorganizing teams does not equal productivity.

Just don't do it

Senior UNIX Systems Administrator (Former Employee)
Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Verio

ProsMostly stable, only 4 major layoffs in 15 years
Punch the clock, keep your head down, and get paid
Guaranteed bailout thanks to NTT

ConsPuppet company controlled completely by NTT
Not even lip service to "core" values
Many positions simply rotated out every few years to Japan
No quality in management or products

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people a reason to enjoy their work and maybe they'll make something worth selling

Used to be afloat. Now the Titanic

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Verio

ProsStrong Parent company support (Verio is owned by NTT). Verio is Stable. Verio has Decent benefits as well as Reasonable facilities.

ConsUpper management is incompetent. There is a culture of fear in the company. There is no respect or appreciation of good talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees need to be appreciated more. Employees need to be listened to (not just lectured). Incompetent management needs to be replaced.

Once a great company but might be circling the drain

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

I worked at Verio full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay was okay but there was always moving target on commission structure.

ConsWay behind technology curve. Dealing with many many unsatisfied customers.

This company could achieve so much more

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Verio full-time for more than a year

ProsThe promise of their new cloud service offering is highly compelling...once it is fully released.

ConsMicromanagement has become oppressive, and far too much infighting amongst the groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need a dynamic CEO...don't see the current one having the backbone to lead the effort in a productive, prioritized manner. Only 1 in 5 staff who posted here approve of the CEO. That's not the sort of leader Verio needs now.

This could be a great company with solid leadership and vision

Inside Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Verio full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSome great people do/did work here and the local leadership tries to make improvements

ConsOverall SLT is so far removed from the needs of the company and employees that it's almost impossible to have your input valued. They refuse to make the needed upgrades to stay competitive and keep their customer's happy. The development teams, especially on the Windows side, are a joke and work harder at pointing fingers at anyone else than actually doing their job. There have been numerous layoffs in the past five years that it is almost inevitable that another one will happen. They keep the needs of the Japanese market at the forefront of their business plan without regard that what works there doesn't in the US and sales/technologies will fail.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the attitude that quid pro quo is going to work. Change the leadership and work to actually satisfy your customers and employees in order to build loyalty. Without customers there is no business. Without talented employees, there are no customers.

Chaos, confusion, lack of innovation, antiquated products

Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at Verio full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou want to live in south Florida. Most all other offices are closed or closing now as of mid-2013. There may still be some openings in Denver for accounting.

ConsConstant reorganization. Some employees get fired and rehired before their severence is even up. Japanese leadership treats it like a farm team or worse a petri dish. Strategically flawed and outdated business model and products. Leadership will not invest in systems to fix the necessary customer systems to make the company last into the future. Portal is from the dark ages. Yes they invented server virtualization but that was in 2001 and they have not improved it since. This company Is unfortunately Japan's bad investment and they just won't give it up and call it a day. I would not recommend working here to anyone because it is incredibly frustrating to always be apologizing and trying to improve things that cannot and will not change. I'm not bitter - I truly think its too late for this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the customer base before its gone.

Worked for Verio? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Verio reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Verio CEO Hideyuki Yamasawa . All 44 reviews posted anonymously by Verio employees.