Verio

Be The First To
Add Photos

Verio President & CEO Hideyuki Yamasawa

Hideyuki Yamasawa

Pros
  • Good Benefits, 401K, Insurance, employee discounts, nice amount of vacation/sick time(in 6 reviews)

• Some great people do/did work here and the local leadership tries to make improvements(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor Executive Management, no clear direction, Japanese-owned company with different business approach/management style from most US companies(in 4 reviews)

• Upper management is incompetent(in 3 reviews)

From good to bad

Manager (Former Employee) Orem, UT

ProsIn early 2000 verio's Orem office had a great environment. Things went progressively downhill as they tried to merge divergent office cultures and then later forced Japanese management style into the creative process.

ConsEvery 3-6 years the parent company rotates in under qualified people from Japan into leadership positions to micromanage the US staff. While a few have been well intentioned most become tyrants. Upper management won't make decisions or take responsibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a vision, share the vision, stick to it. Don't rotate in temporary staff at such influential positions. Take the handcuffs off of your managers. Pay attention to customers and employees. Make some decisions.

Sucked!

Senior Developer (Current Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsLearning new technologies, free coffee, free water.

Ping pong table.
    Woosball
    video game tournaments during the work day.

ConsThey hire managers from the soviet USSR era that treat their employees like soliders at boot camp.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay where you are -- this is where you belong.

Could've been so much more...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsUnfortunately, there are very few pros at this point other than what you'll see in other reviews, with regard to it "being a paycheck. Verio had plenty going for it over the last 15 years, but has frittered it all away.

ConsNo vision. No effective leadership. The company has made a couple big bets strategically over the last few years and they have been very bad bets and in areas the company simply was not prepared to deal with. This has created a defeated mentality and what little culture there is at the company is one of "just do what I'm told to survive."

Advice to Senior ManagementKill major projects that are doomed to fail anyway, clean up the balance sheet, and start fresh.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

horrendous,

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosnone, but since I have to write at least 5 words ABSOLUTELY NONE

Consarrogance, stupidity, frustrating ,blinkered and self satisfied management

Advice to Senior Managementlearn basic management skills in dealing with customers and staff

Incompetent leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt's a paycheck
    Bonus every year

ConsMany groups are slow and/or completely inept
    No accountability
    Japanese leadership is scared of its own shadow
    Dev group is "lead" by someone who would probably have issues running a hot dog stand

The potential to be so much more

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsThe name of NTT behind the company, even though they have little to do with the day to day selling cycle.
    Supposedly the lack of debt and the presence of deep pockets.

ConsNo clear, sustainable direction from management.
    Product is falling well behind the competition. Anything new is mostly marketing fluff.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide what you want to be long term and put the right team in place to get you there. Then support the team, the message and the customer in a consistent manner.

One Dysfunctional Place!

Marketing (Former Employee) Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

ProsBenefits are good, financially stable - backed by NTT Communications Company.

ConsPoor Executive Management, no clear direction, Japanese-owned company with different business approach/management style from most US companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together, clearly communicate the vision and direction for the company

The people are nice. The management is clueless

Senior Engineer (Former Employee) Orem, UT

ProsThere are a number of people - particularly at the old iServer offices (Utah) - that are nice, intelligent, and have a clue about hosting.

ConsThe management is all driven by marketing and M&A - without any real understanding of the underlying business. This disconnect leads to serial poor decisions and sustained pressure on the employees. Layoffs happen frequently, and the entire company would be gone if not for sustained support from the parent corporation. Those with the most mobility (best education, most experience, strongest prospects) are all going or gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementReorganizing teams does not equal productivity.

Just don't do it

Senior UNIX Systems Administrator (Former Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsMostly stable, only 4 major layoffs in 15 years
    Punch the clock, keep your head down, and get paid
    Guaranteed bailout thanks to NTT

ConsPuppet company controlled completely by NTT
    Not even lip service to "core" values
    Many positions simply rotated out every few years to Japan
    No quality in management or products

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people a reason to enjoy their work and maybe they'll make something worth selling

Used to be afloat. Now the Titanic

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsStrong Parent company support (Verio is owned by NTT). Verio is Stable. Verio has Decent benefits as well as Reasonable facilities.

ConsUpper management is incompetent. There is a culture of fear in the company. There is no respect or appreciation of good talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees need to be appreciated more. Employees need to be listened to (not just lectured). Incompetent management needs to be replaced.

Worked for Verio? Contribute to the Community!