Veris Consulting

Larry Johnson

Special culture

Consultant (Current Employee)
    Reston, VA

ProsUnique firm culture, talented staff, challenging work, strong college recruiting programs and other career opportunities, firm retreat and other benefits are really fantastic.

ConsOpportunities are, for most part, based solely in the Washington/Northern Virginia area. Consulting schedules are better than those public accounting but still can be unpredictable in nature.

A great internship

N/A (Current Employee)

ProsGreat experience, I felt like I was a part of the team from Day 1. Great training. Lots of social events. Half day Fridays in the summertime.

ConsIt was overly important to attend social events regardless of how far away or what you had to do in order to get hired.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you're doing. I do not have any real advice for you. Please keep up the good work.

Great experience but be cautious about the future prospects of the firm

Consultant (Various) (Former Employee)
    Reston, VA

ProsVeris has a close-knit, family atmosphere that can make it a very enjoyable place to work. There are some very knowledgeable experts at the firm with impeccable reputations. There is an entrepreneurial spirit at the firm that makes it much less rigid than larger consultancies, while still getting to experience a similar caliber of work.

ConsThe casual environment can lead to a lack of professionalism. There are succession planning issues. Many at the firm could be great mentors but there isn't much interest in actively developing talent (although the responsibility assigned does help)

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about the future.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Open relationships among junior and senior members and great benefits!

Forensic Accounting & Accounting Services Rotational Intern (Former Employee)
    Reston, VA

ProsFantastic benefits similar or better than larger consulting/accounting firms (25 days paid leave, full health/dental/vision)
    Open door policy between junior and more senior level members
    Very active and friendly staff - incredibly social and easy to create relationships
    Competitive salary and opportunity for fast bonuses & advancement

ConsExpectation to be at nearly all social/after-work events to advance professionally
    Amount of work heavily varies based on projects (not always predictable)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep offering the fantastic benefits, open culture, and collegial atmosphere

Research Analyst in Survey Research Group

Research Analyst (Former Employee)
    Reston, VA

ProsVeris has a young professional culture. They are a very friendly group with several events year round to socialize at. The Survey Research Group is a great place to learn program administration and management skills at from some great people.

ConsPosition was over sold. I was expecting to work in databases and statistics but ended up working in Excel, data collection and validation. Found significant resistance to getting access to the databases and pushing forward statistical analysis work.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has a good business model overall, get work, do work, repeat. It would have been nice to have more flexibility in the types of work being performed to keep the job interesting.

Has potential but going downhill

Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits and higher salary than most firms
    No cubicles
    Rarely work overtime
    Relaxed working environment
    Great starter job

ConsHigh School atmosphere
    Management is related to owner
    Lots of pressure to attend social events and conform to firm culture
    High employee turnover
    Poor business decisions and lack of direction
    Unprofessional and catty VP's who enjoy making fun of their staff
    No HR

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with your employees about the company's future and stop firing people just because one person on the management team doesn't like them.

Unlike any other company in many different ways.

Reston, VA

ProsExcellent benefits, great team of very smart individuals who have started to and have built their professional careers, challenging, dynamic work. Collegial atmosphere, especially if you enjoy sports: both fantasy and co-ed work leagues. Very friendly and professional atmosphere.

ConsThere are succession planning issues and the HR function changed completely over the last year. Trend of "breaking into market" issues and closures of offices. I'm really not sure what's going to happen to Veris.

Advice to Senior ManagementConduct 360-degree feedbacks going forward. Reduce employee turnover.

Worked for Veris Consulting? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Veris Consulting reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Veris Consulting CEO Larry Johnson. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Veris Consulting employees.