Verisign Reviews

215 reviews filtered by
3.7
Verisign Chairman, President, CEO D. James Bidzos
D. James Bidzos

Pros
  • Flexibility of working hours which helps with work-life balance, compensation and very talented employees (in 23 reviews)

• Some of the pros are good benefits, stability, co-workers, comparable salaries (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • The senior management is dominantly white males, although there are lots of minorities as the work bees (in 9 reviews)

• Very Unstable management, they sold many of their business units recently (in 7 reviews)

1. Work heaven ... is there such a thing?

I worked at Verisign full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My time at VeriSign was short lived but a standard that I use to compare all other organizations to now. The team I worked with was fun, friendly, and exceptionally smart. There was hands on training, and support no matter where you looked. The team had a strong and clear process, knew how to tackle new big asks/projects and trusted each member to do their part. There was no micro-managing, no lack of trust, and a great deal of empathy and understanding for your life outside of work. The benefits selection was great, with full Medical, Dental & Vision options as well as 401k, employee perks etc.. Learning new skills and understanding more about the team/company was encouraged. Over all the best company I have worked for in years.

Cons

Sad to say that the review and raise system is a bit unfair. Ranking your employees against each other within a team tends to pit them against each other and if one employee is ranked #1 then that deducts the raise amount that can be given to other teammates. It seems hardly fair considering each team mate pitched in and doesn't always work the same projects/aspects of the teams needs. Reviews should be based on expected performance vs actual performance, not a comparison against other employees.

Keep up the great work! But maybe start seeing your employees as individual contributors not a ranking from best to worst as that is the feeling the reviews tend to give.

2. Being an intern

Former Intern - Intern in Reston, VA
    Former Intern - Intern in Reston, VA

I worked at Verisign as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good internship projects, specially research projects which are directly under CTO.
    Great mentors, but sometimes they are not very approachable.
    If you are smart enough to approach right people, you will learn great skills from top researcher.
    You get overview of what entire company does and the naming industry.
    Great campus and facilities.

Cons

You wont have a tech company like feel as most of the people are laid back.
    Not much of work allocated to you until you ask for it.
    A lot of oldies, this company needs some young blood with new ideas.
    Compensation is not good, specially if you are an out of state student.
    Don't expect any follow up job offer at end of your internship.

Hire young people or former interns and not just interns.

3. Average Employer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at Verisign

Pros

work/life balance
    salary and total comp package

Cons

constantly changing
    lacking career opportunities and advancement

5. Hired to become part of the skeleton crew during divestment, what more can I say?

I worked at Verisign

Pros

They paid well but had a difficult time getting me setup on payroll for some reason - asked me to wait just over a month for my first pay.

Cons

I was hired to help shutdown the subsidiary, morale sucked.

6. Best company ever

I have been working at Verisign

Pros

Work-life balance is very good

Cons

No cons. I love this company.

7. Good company and benefits

I have been working at Verisign (more than 5 years)

Pros

This has been a good company for years. They are a market leader and have competitive compensation! They hire great people and I loved working with my colleagues.

Cons

Closing deals internally take a few extra steps, but good enough compared to others.

Looks like an IT company but is really a utility with a monopoly.

Current Employee - Anonymous IT in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous IT in Reston, VA

I have been working at Verisign full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation is good.
    Diverse workforce at the bottom where real work gets done.
    HQ facility is top-notch.
    Barring unforeseen disaster this company isn't going anywhere.
    Work-life balance is great.
    If you play the game right you will learn useful skills.
    If you're lucky or make the right friends you can rise through the ranks.

Cons

Middle management is very bad. Cliquish is an inadequate word for how insular it is.
    Execs at the top basically lucked into the goose that laid the golden egg back in the '90s and have squandered shareholder value since then. 10 years of massive nonsensical acquisitions during the late 90s-early 00s only to do a 180 and sell it all off for pennies on the dollar as the market tanked in 2008-2010. Execs still made millions of course and think they are infallible.
    Only one real product left (DNS)
    Since divesting almost every product other than DNS resources have been wasted trying to come up with new directions without any success.
    Company is now run by the CFO and the squeezing has started in earnest. The negative consequences will start showing up in the next few years.

Accept the situation. You can't innovate because you serve too many masters. Trying to grow the stock price via spending reductions to reach unrealistic operating margin goals will kill the goose in the end.

Good at what they do, but not innovative

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Reston, VA

I worked at Verisign full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Verisign is very good at what they have always done, the domain name registry and the dns. Work is challenging, pay packages are competitive, and benefits are attractive. They have a nice cafeteria and an onsite gym facility. Stable revenue model. Once a year trip to a technical conference. Internal company symposiums.

Cons

They are having trouble finding new growth areas. The upper management is primarily white and most of them have grown up the ranks. There isn't any technical leadership in the upper management. The once rock stars have left the company to Silicon Valley and those that are left are waiting to retire or so it seemed. The average age of employees is high compared to industry standard and that could deter younger generation from joining the company. The company needs fresh ideas and younger tech leaders in the management.

Keep doing what you do best but recruit some fresh talent. The company is not diverse enough.

10. Strong company, once they figured out what they wanted to be

Former Employee - Vice President BD in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President BD in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Verisign full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

High margins, good pay. solid team

Cons

insular and political environment. Cliqueish

11. Great Company, Poor Management

I have been working at Verisign (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Work life balance. Great facilities (company sponsored cafeteria, onsite free gym/classes, flu shots, free breakfast, good coffee, underground parking). Mac based company.

Cons

Leadership. Upper management comes up with a direction and we all match towards. Very little strategy to whether that idea is something consumers want, very little discovery to whether the market will adopt an 'engineering' focused strategy. Surprised when Sales can't sell it. Legal teams can't support it. Finance teams can't price it. Upper management surprised when it has to be revised, surprised when customers can't understand it ... hey, but it was a cool engineering idea. When you put engineers in charge, you'll get engineered ideas.

Think outside of the box. Put more focus on products than on cafeteria rebuilds. Make products that are efficient and solve our consumers needs. Don't allow engineers to drive this company.

Verisign Photos