Verizon

3.1 2,032 reviews

Verizon President & CEO Lowell McAdam

Lowell McAdam

2,032 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "excellent pay and benefits for the type of work performed"
    in 154 reviews
  • "Good benefits, opportunity is there but only if you know the right people"
    in 184 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is possible, but you won't get promoted if you work "only" 40 hours a week"
    in 60 reviews
  • "Management cannot do their jobs due to idiotic Upper Management fiascos"
    in 73 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good experience to start career

I have been working at Verizon

ProsLearned a lot about the experience in a big company and what all that goes on to run such a huge corporation.

Consa lot of politics, that goes for any large corporate company. not very many opportunities to move up.

Going through a huge transformation - can't feel settled

Consultant FP&A (Current Employee)
Basking Ridge, NJ

I have been working at Verizon full-time

ProsHistorically the company has had good benefits. The overall culture is not strenuous on work-life balance, so good for working parents. On site facilities include gym, health services, dry cleaning and cafeteria among others.

ConsThere's no focus on training. The systems are too many and changes are too frequent to feel settled. Constant transformation forces the talent to leave in search of settled places to contribute their skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementSave the talent & experience drain from seemingly unending transformation

Regressive place to work at

Ashburn, VA

I have been working at Verizon full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe only reason to work here would be the salary and the ability to change positions without leaving the company.

ConsThe work culture is awful, the ways of working are regressive, the leadership is not the best, poor planning, feels like a typical telco company of the 70s.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the culture to attract young and bright talent.

A good company that will prepare you for the corporate world.

Senior Staff Consultant (Former Employee)
Garden City, NY

I worked at Verizon full-time for more than 10 years

ProsManagement: Flexible work hours. Work from home. TAP Program (Tuition Assistance Program) which paid for my undergrad and graduate studies 100% (including books)! Good management mentoring. Very process driven which instills strong organizational and management skills.

ConsShaky leadership. The life span of any given vice president was 12-18 months. This had ripples on the overall direction we were given which led to little to no progress on large initiatives. Also, large lay offs in every sector. As an employee you never felt secure about your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep challenging upper management on initiatives that do not have the customer as the center of the discussion. Focus on our core strengths (telephony, data bandwidth) Be the specialist again, not the jack-of-all-trades Verizon is becoming.

Collections Associate at Verizon (landline division)

Collections Associate (Former Employee)
Westfield, IN

I worked at Verizon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSteady work--great benefits. Casual attire.

ConsVery stressful call-center--we were holding up to 100 calls everyday when I arrived at work at up 60 days at quitting time. Extremely stick rules for all metrics to be met to hold your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementLocal managers stand up for your employees.

Good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Verizon full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood benefits and pay scale. Good chance from promotion

ConsUnrealistic targets, most workers are not passionate

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some managers who are motivated to work

going down hill

Lineman (Former Employee)

I worked at Verizon full-time for more than 10 years

Prosgood pay and benfits thanks to union

Consco. is dieing a slow death

Advice to Senior Managementmore investment to land line

Large company not communicating its direction to employees

Senior Consultant FP&A (Current Employee)
Basking Ridge, NJ

I have been working at Verizon full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLarge company with many different work areas, decent vacation policy, decent compensation

ConsLack of clear communication from leadership about where company is going and what the means to its employees, no promotions in Finance, lots of discussion around "inovation, agile and transformation" but no real mid/senior level support for it. No interest in employee feedback.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your employees, the moral is terrible and many are not confident about the changes that keep happening.

It was great for the first 3 years, but then the work environment changed drastically.

Telecommunications Field Service Technician (Former Employee)
Annapolis, MD

I worked at Verizon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe pay is spectacular. You get 3 raises a year, 2 raises a year until you hit top pay scale also a cost of living raise once a year. Once at top pay you get only a cost of living raise once a year. Plenty of overtime offered if you want to work it. They have a pay scale much higher then Comcast or other local cable companies.

ConsUntil you get seniority under your belt you get the worst pick of your schedule. Even with seniority you WILL WORK ALOT of WEEKENDS. Job is union which is good because of higher pay, but the union is very weak when it comes to helping you if your written up, suspended, or even fired. Company looks for reasons to suspend you. Not all management but their are more managers looking to write you up then not.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making upper management of whom most never worked in the field as a technician make decisions on productivity or company policies which involve field work. Make management help tech's get better don't look for reasons to write them up on random field inspections.

Gold Plated Sweat Shop

Consumer Sales (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Verizon full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBenefits were excellent, pay was fair. This was solely due to a Union environment. Sales position with no very little checks on quality customer service. Also, extremely unethical sales techniques being overlooked buy middle management due to their sales reps results directly impacting their pay.

ConsVery liitle advancement opportunity, constant layoffs. Micromanagement on steroids. Bathroom breaks monitored. Working under a microscope is an understatement.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement better quality assurance to make sure ethical sales are being enforced instead of using these type of reps for a couple years to make "numbers" before firing them for unethical behaviors.

Worked for Verizon? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Verizon reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam. All 2,032 reviews posted anonymously by Verizon employees.