Verizon

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Verizon President & CEO Lowell McAdam

Lowell McAdam

190 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good starting point and good career

IT Quality Assurance (Current Employee)
    Irving, TX

ProsThis was my first company out of college and I stayed as a management employee for 11 years. I got a lot of on the job training and experience that has made me feel confident enough in my skills to take on new challenges. I really like that they promote diversity in the workplace. The benefits are great. I took advantage of all of it, and I would recommend that everyone does so. The 401k match, health benefits, tuition assistance, learning center, development and leadership workshops/opportunities are selling points. Salary is competitive, and depending on the organization you join, there are plenty of opportunities to move up. Depending on your organization's budget, you can get a hefty bonus and raise. Some positions are open to work at home and remote locations. I was recently laid off and was given a decent severance package, so if that's important to you, Verizon will take care of you in that regard.

ConsIt's just not stable. I don't know how I survived 11 years. There was always a big RIF (reduction in force, or layoff) at least once a year across all areas of the organization. I know this is just the nature of Corporate America today, so I can't pinpoint this on just Verizon. But it sucks because each business unit handles this differently. Some organizations don't allow lateral movement to other groups - so you may be stuck as a "lifer" if you don't want to grow under one group. Office politics are huge. Good ole' boy mentality and cronyism runs deep. A lot of people get paid way too much to do so little, and take advantage of it. The infrastructure and hiring process just \makes it easy for people to do so. Because of all the RIF's, I believe people only had enough motivation just to keep themselves afloat.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor IT: Invest in keeping the present human resources. If staff is underperforming, I can understand letting them go in RIF's. However, if an employee is doing well, find another way to cut costs. Verizon wastes way too much money on unused assets. It's easier to decommission unused servers or hardware versus retiring an evolving and knowledge hungry employee.

Working for Verizon has been a good experience. Good pay and benefits.

Texas (Current Employee)
    Carrollton, TX

ProsBenefits, pay, work from home

ConsVacation time is two weeks, would have liked more.

Great benefits while it lasted!

Applications Support (Current Employee)
    Irving, TX

ProsBenefits...the best in the industry if you ask me and that's the only reason I hadn't left the company.

No pros since shortly after 2000. This is where Bell Atlantic screwed it all up. We had a great time working at GTE prior to the merger. Anything after that has been years of turmoil and confusion.

If you are a college graduate willing to work for half of what you deserve, apply here. It will be a good start to your career as long as you treat this place as a stepping stone to other things.

ConsAnything after the Bell Atlantic/GTE merger has been years of sitting on a raging bull. You never knew when or where you would be moved from one organization to the next. The results usually landed you in a position where you lost skill set and expertise. The lay offs kept coming for years...multiples some years. 2014 had one major one in January and now another in June. That was the end of the line for me after 15 years.

HR is always raising banners and shooting off fireworks about how you can pick and choose your career path. Bogus. I've tried multiple times to move groups only to be denied by management or the position lost to an upcoming lay off. There may be organizations within Verizon where you can be happy and move up. IT is not one of those organizations.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop reorganizing the groups so much. You are now in a situation where you have lost all of your expertise because you keep moving staff from one job to another and/or you have laid them off. No sooner than I learn the systems I'm supporting, I get moved to a new team. The issue with that is no one is there to teach me about the new systems I'm supporting. You are heading down the wrong road.

Way too many decisions are being made by upper-level management when they really don't understand the impact it has on the employees, their job satisfaction, and their ability to perform their jobs. Eventually, it will catch up with you.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good pay, large bureaucracy

Manager (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsPay is good, bonus is nice, tuition reimbursement is great.

ConsCompany cell phone discount is horrible, company is so large that little gets done effiicently

Verizon

User Experience Analyst (Current Employee)
    Irving, TX

ProsGreat place to work and the compensation and benefits are better than most companies the same size. I would recommend it to my friends.

ConsThe challenges are about the same as working at another company the same size. You only get out of it what you put in it.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on growing jobs for Americans and less focus on growing outplacement companies in other countries that replace American jobs.

Verizon a great company to work for.

Senior Property Accountant (Current Employee)
    Irving, TX

ProsStable company and you work with great people who love their job. Verizon is a company that people value.

ConsMoving my department to Florida.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew work policies

Great Place to come to Work

Implementation Specialist (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsIf you like routine, this is the place for you. Generous tuition assistance program, and great insurance for full time employees.

ConsAdvancement is hard to come by, even if you are doing a great job.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the employees actually doing the work, not the upper level managers who are detached from the real situation.

Going downhill

Lead Systems Consultant - Systems/Architecture (Former Employee)

ProsGood Medical, Dental benefits, OK worklife balance

ConsThey're laying off long term employees even though the company is doing well and replacing employees with low payed contractors

Great Benefits, Poor Support

Order Manager (Current Employee)
    Richardson, TX

ProsThe benefits are really nice and the medical covers things that other medical benefits do not cover

ConsManagers expect you to produce when they do not know the product themselves, you are on your on trying to figure out processes and products

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn your products and be able to produce in order to be of assistance when needed. In this role, you are expected to work when on sick leave, when on bereavement, it does not matter.

Chaotic

Principal, Professional Services (Former Employee)
    Richardson, TX

ProsGreat benefits and training. Lots of opportunity.

ConsCrazy complex processes, very command and control management style.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify processes, stop doing everything through email.

Worked for Verizon? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Verizon reviews and ratings in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam. All 190 reviews posted anonymously by Verizon employees.