Verizon Reviews in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX

3.3
2,335 Reviews

Verizon President & CEO Lowell McAdam
Lowell McAdam

Pros
  • excellent pay and benefits for the type of work performed (in 183 reviews)

• Good benefits and competetive or better salary especially the more years you have (in 209 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a very flexible working schedule to meet today's work/life balance needs (in 77 reviews)

• Management cannot do their jobs due to idiotic Upper Management fiascos (in 78 reviews)

More Highlights

199 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to work for - if it were somewhere else.

Former Employee - Benefit Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Benefit Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Verizon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots of good employees who really do try to build a community in the midst of such a vast organization; lots of opportunity for advancement; solid upper management.

Cons

Size is overwhelming; corporation headquarters is not the best (physical plant and location).

Consider work-life balance, better corporate location and better non-union benefits.

Corporate giant who puts bottom line first.

Former Employee - Case Manager  in  Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Richardson, TX

I worked at Verizon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits, decent pay, a team lead that cared.

Cons

As a 17 year employee I watched this monster grow up. They swallowed good small companies and became a mega giant driven by pure profit. Watching top executive leaders jump ship left and right was heart breaking. I was laid off after having my first daughter and came back a year later for less than half of my salary. People who work there are so stressed. Two have committed suicide and many suffer from depression and a feeling of imprisonment.

Remember employees are people first.

God pay but treated very bad

Former Employee - Fiber Network Field Technician  in  Keller, TX
    Former Employee - Fiber Network Field Technician in Keller, TX

I worked at Verizon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great pay and benefits with this company

Cons

Lack of communication between corporate office and the local management which is bad on employees

Respect goes a long way and is a two way street.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company, changing culture due to internal politics/downsizing/new management.

Former Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Richardson, TX

I worked at Verizon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Carrier grade technologies, global networks, fair work/life balance, mostly really good people.

Cons

Too much politics, no loyalty to employees, they are just commodities. Way too many re-orgs and RIFs to maintain a steady baseline work flow processes. High level decisions have resulted in bad investments with no return and jobs lost.

Ask yourself what you can really do for the company long term and not what the company can do for you.

Bus Ops Support

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Irving, TX

I have been working at Verizon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It was a great opportunity to work with numerous employees across the US and India. I was able to learn a lot from them to build on my own personal and professional development. It was up-to-date with current technology and devices prior to hitting the market. The benefits were wonderful with 6% 401k matching, medical insurance, tuition reimbursement, and vacation days.

Cons

There is a lack of communication between leadership and the employees. Employees know there are changes - often staff reductions - but executives cancel meetings and avoid employees only fueling the uneasiness. Employees focus more on taking care of themselves and family rather than the work at hand. Our senior executives rewarded an almost hostile work environment where employees were constantly working all weekend and on vacations to often times have those meeting canceled. There were a few times when employees left meetings crying or needed to be consoled by other employees. Because it is a very large company, HR tries to place a cookie cutter around job titles and training that often does not fit around the functions of many of employees. It makes it challenging to reach your end of year goals if you don't fit into the framework.

Please do not disconnect yourself from your employees. You have an incredible talent pool that can wondrous things if you allow them to focus on your customers rather than fear their own well being.

Good starting point and good career

Current Employee - IT Quality Assurance  in  Irving, TX
    Current Employee - IT Quality Assurance in Irving, TX

I have been working at Verizon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

This was my first company out of college and I stayed as a management employee for 11 years. I got a lot of on the job training and experience that has made me feel confident enough in my skills to take on new challenges. I really like that they promote diversity in the workplace. The benefits are great. I took advantage of all of it, and I would recommend that everyone does so. The 401k match, health benefits, tuition assistance, learning center, development and leadership workshops/opportunities are selling points. Salary is competitive, and depending on the organization you join, there are plenty of opportunities to move up. Depending on your organization's budget, you can get a hefty bonus and raise. Some positions are open to work at home and remote locations. I was recently laid off and was given a decent severance package, so if that's important to you, Verizon will take care of you in that regard.

Cons

It's just not stable. I don't know how I survived 11 years. There was always a big RIF (reduction in force, or layoff) at least once a year across all areas of the organization. I know this is just the nature of Corporate America today, so I can't pinpoint this on just Verizon. But it sucks because each business unit handles this differently. Some organizations don't allow lateral movement to other groups - so you may be stuck as a "lifer" if you don't want to grow under one group. Office politics are huge. Good ole' boy mentality and cronyism runs deep. A lot of people get paid way too much to do so little, and take advantage of it. The infrastructure and hiring process just \makes it easy for people to do so. Because of all the RIF's, I believe people only had enough motivation just to keep themselves afloat.

For IT: Invest in keeping the present human resources. If staff is underperforming, I can understand letting them go in RIF's. However, if an employee is doing well, find another way to cut costs. Verizon wastes way too much money on unused assets. It's easier to decommission unused servers or hardware versus retiring an evolving and knowledge hungry employee.

Not bad for starters

Former Employee - Consultant - Applications Development  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant - Applications Development in Dallas, TX

I worked at Verizon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good place to start career and get your feet wet.

Cons

No career advancement. Compensation was a bit low compared to industry standards.

Need more diversity regarding training and career advancement

Good Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Verizon as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Verizon definitely is a great company to work for. They are always connected to their employees through web casts and keeping in touch via live chats during meetings. Verizon focuses on the total development of the individual as well as the team. They are always showing options for further career growth and development. I believe that having the chance to work for such an amazing organization will definitely enhance your career and pave the way for more challenging and rewarding opportunities.

Cons

There are no cons here.

Working for Verizon has been a good experience. Good pay and benefits.

Current Employee - Texas  in  Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Texas in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at Verizon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, pay, work from home

Cons

Vacation time is two weeks, would have liked more.

Forget about it!

Former Employee - Senior Tech  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Tech in Dallas, TX

I worked at Verizon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Some great coworkers and exciting projects.

Cons

Clueless management. Very political. Dominated by the Indian mafia. Really headed downhill. Can't survive unless you're part of the club. Technical managers have no idea about the technology their teams are using.

wake up.

Worked for Verizon? Contribute to the Community!