Verizon

Verizon Reviews in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Verizon President & CEO Lowell McAdam

Lowell McAdam

Pros
  • excellent pay and benefits for the type of work performed(in 182 reviews)

• Good benefits and competetive or better salary especially the more years you have(in 209 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a very flexible working schedule to meet today's work/life balance needs(in 77 reviews)

• Management cannot do their jobs due to idiotic Upper Management fiascos(in 78 reviews)

193 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good starting point and good career

IT Quality Assurance (Current Employee) Irving, TX

ProsThis was my first company out of college and I stayed as a management employee for 11 years. I got a lot of on the job training and experience that has made me feel confident enough in my skills to take on new challenges. I really like that they promote diversity in the workplace. The benefits are great. I took advantage of all of it, and I would recommend that everyone does so. The 401k match, health benefits, tuition assistance, learning center, development and leadership workshops/opportunities are selling points. Salary is competitive, and depending on the organization you join, there are plenty of opportunities to move up. Depending on your organization's budget, you can get a hefty bonus and raise. Some positions are open to work at home and remote locations. I was recently laid off and was given a decent severance package, so if that's important to you, Verizon will take care of you in that regard.

ConsIt's just not stable. I don't know how I survived 11 years. There was always a big RIF (reduction in force, or layoff) at least once a year across all areas of the organization. I know this is just the nature of Corporate America today, so I can't pinpoint this on just Verizon. But it sucks because each business unit handles this differently. Some organizations don't allow lateral movement to other groups - so you may be stuck as a "lifer" if you don't want to grow under one group. Office politics are huge. Good ole' boy mentality and cronyism runs deep. A lot of people get paid way too much to do so little, and take advantage of it. The infrastructure and hiring process just \makes it easy for people to do so. Because of all the RIF's, I believe people only had enough motivation just to keep themselves afloat.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor IT: Invest in keeping the present human resources. If staff is underperforming, I can understand letting them go in RIF's. However, if an employee is doing well, find another way to cut costs. Verizon wastes way too much money on unused assets. It's easier to decommission unused servers or hardware versus retiring an evolving and knowledge hungry employee.

Good Experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsVerizon definitely is a great company to work for. They are always connected to their employees through web casts and keeping in touch via live chats during meetings. Verizon focuses on the total development of the individual as well as the team. They are always showing options for further career growth and development. I believe that having the chance to work for such an amazing organization will definitely enhance your career and pave the way for more challenging and rewarding opportunities.

ConsThere are no cons here.

Working for Verizon has been a good experience. Good pay and benefits.

Texas (Current Employee) Carrollton, TX

ProsBenefits, pay, work from home

ConsVacation time is two weeks, would have liked more.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Forget about it!

Senior Tech (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsSome great coworkers and exciting projects.

ConsClueless management. Very political. Dominated by the Indian mafia. Really headed downhill. Can't survive unless you're part of the club. Technical managers have no idea about the technology their teams are using.

Advice to Senior Managementwake up.

Tale of multiple companies...

Director (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsThe wireless business is strong, and well run, basically props up the other business units. The Consumer business is also well run, very different dynamic.

ConsThe Enterprise business is a burden to the company until it begins to show growth, they lack vision, direction and investment is inadequate to compete effectively.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide what you want to do with the Enterprise business and do it...do something, it's a mess. Spin off Wireless and create more value for stock holders.

Verizon

User Experience Analyst (Current Employee) Irving, TX

ProsGreat place to work and the compensation and benefits are better than most companies the same size. I would recommend it to my friends.

ConsThe challenges are about the same as working at another company the same size. You only get out of it what you put in it.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on growing jobs for Americans and less focus on growing outplacement companies in other countries that replace American jobs.

Verizon a great company to work for.

Senior Property Accountant (Current Employee) Irving, TX

ProsStable company and you work with great people who love their job. Verizon is a company that people value.

ConsMoving my department to Florida.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew work policies

Great benefits while it lasted!

Applications Support (Current Employee) Irving, TX

ProsBenefits...the best in the industry if you ask me and that's the only reason I hadn't left the company.

No pros since shortly after 2000. This is where Bell Atlantic screwed it all up. We had a great time working at GTE prior to the merger. Anything after that has been years of turmoil and confusion.

If you are a college graduate willing to work for half of what you deserve, apply here. It will be a good start to your career as long as you treat this place as a stepping stone to other things.

ConsAnything after the Bell Atlantic/GTE merger has been years of sitting on a raging bull. You never knew when or where you would be moved from one organization to the next. The results usually landed you in a position where you lost skill set and expertise. The lay offs kept coming for years...multiples some years. 2014 had one major one in January and now another in June. That was the end of the line for me after 15 years.

HR is always raising banners and shooting off fireworks about how you can pick and choose your career path. Bogus. I've tried multiple times to move groups only to be denied by management or the position lost to an upcoming lay off. There may be organizations within Verizon where you can be happy and move up. IT is not one of those organizations.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop reorganizing the groups so much. You are now in a situation where you have lost all of your expertise because you keep moving staff from one job to another and/or you have laid them off. No sooner than I learn the systems I'm supporting, I get moved to a new team. The issue with that is no one is there to teach me about the new systems I'm supporting. You are heading down the wrong road.

Way too many decisions are being made by upper-level management when they really don't understand the impact it has on the employees, their job satisfaction, and their ability to perform their jobs. Eventually, it will catch up with you.

Good pay, large bureaucracy

Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsPay is good, bonus is nice, tuition reimbursement is great.

ConsCompany cell phone discount is horrible, company is so large that little gets done effiicently

Great Benefits, Poor Support

Order Manager (Current Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsThe benefits are really nice and the medical covers things that other medical benefits do not cover

ConsManagers expect you to produce when they do not know the product themselves, you are on your on trying to figure out processes and products

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn your products and be able to produce in order to be of assistance when needed. In this role, you are expected to work when on sick leave, when on bereavement, it does not matter.

Worked for Verizon? Contribute to the Community!