Verizon Reviews

1,040 Ratings

1. Very solid and financially stable company

Current Employee - Supervisor - Billing Operations in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Supervisor - Billing Operations in Irving, TX

I have been working at Verizon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Financial stability of company

Cons

Upward mobility or promotions are very difficult to come by

2. Enjoyed the culture and experience at Verizon

Former Employee - IT - Analyst in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - IT - Analyst in Irving, TX

I worked at Verizon

Pros

Very good training and support. Fosters a team environment

Cons

Need to give individuals outside of New York more power to make decisions in lieu of just following decisions

See what was written in cons section

Used and abused

Former Contractor - Social Media Manager in Irving, TX
    Former Contractor - Social Media Manager in Irving, TX

I worked at Verizon as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Pay is good and remote-working privileges are a plus. Since a lot of the staff are older and less experienced in emerging technology fields there's a lot of room for people younger in their career to grow within the company and take on new roles and responsibilities.

Cons

As a contractor you're treated like a second-class citizen. You're not respected at all and people talk about you as though you don't even exist. The reason for this is because they lay-off a majority of their contractors after their contract expires. That being the case, salaried employees don't take the time to get to know people who they suspect will only be there temporarily. Also, in a total twist of irony, when it comes to performing job-related tasks you're forced to do things way above your pay grade and you're even expected to work off the clock without compensation. To be clear, that was my experience and may not reflect the experience of others.

Listen to your internal employees and stop breaking contractor laws as it pertains to your environment which harbors an "always on" mentality. If you want employees who are "always on" then you need to hire them as salaried employees. Not hourly contractors.

5. Great company to work with

Current Employee - Senior Member in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Member in Irving, TX

I have been working at Verizon

Pros

Great place to work and grow (only if you keep your self professionally uptodate and get getting your certifications etc).

Cons

Very easy to get comfortable and ruin your career!

They are smart and doesn't need one!

6. AMAZING benefits, Good pay, Terrible flexibility

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Irving, TX

I have been working at Verizon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits that Verizon offers it's employees are PHENOMENAL! Tuition assistance is paying for my schooling in FULL while I take online classes for my Bachelor's, always recognized and rewarded for good work ethic and meeting company goals (sales, deadlines, etc...) with good medical and financial benefits, like 401k and full paid vacations.

Cons

Everything is so impersonal and it is nearly impossible to get exceptions for anything. If you need a last minute day off or something pertaining to "real life" happens, you better be prepared to send an email to a random person you have never met and hope they respond in time. Also 'mandatory' overtime is a nightmare and you are put on discipline for not working it. Average work weeks are 50 hours+. Very difficult for me to work, take online classes, and have time for my family.

Please hire more people or get rid of 'mandatory' overtime. This is an amazing company to work for, but the flexibility and long work days/weeks create a stressful work environment.

7. Awesome company to work

Former Employee - IT Architect in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - IT Architect in Irving, TX

I worked at Verizon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great environment, job stability, new technologies and good salaries and benefits

Cons

there is nothing really negative about this company.

Stat driven

Current Employee - Fiber Network Technician in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Fiber Network Technician in Irving, TX

I have been working at Verizon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay with real good insurance. Overtime available if you want it. Although mostly forced overtime.

Cons

Only thing keeping me at this job is the pay. It is a call center and as you would expect in a call center they push employees real hard to get off of one call and get to the next. Seem to care more about stats then helping customer.

Try treating employees as adults that are trying to assist customers. At some point it isnt about call time but actually fixing a customer so they don't have to call back.

9. Execute Verizon’s SMP (Security Management Program) security program and assist in addressing security compliance areas.

Current Contractor - Information Security Engineer in Irving, TX
    Current Contractor - Information Security Engineer in Irving, TX

I have been working at Verizon as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Used Qualys tool to perform vulnerability scanning and developed risk treatment plan for remediation.
    Perform vulnerability assessments of operating systems, applications, databases and network infrastructure components to detect security vulnerabilities.

Cons

Overall support to Verizon’s customer in assisting with SMP activities and help the customer meet compliance with industry standards such as SOX, HIPAA, PCI and CIS standards.

ertified Information System Auditor (CISA) with hands-on IT audit and security experience.

Good place to work - If you can keep it.

Former Employee - Systems Consult-Systems/Lead Architect in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Consult-Systems/Lead Architect in Irving, TX

I worked at Verizon

Pros

Teams that I had been in had good esprit i corp. Employees have great benefits like medical, education and wellness (gym in some locations). Pretty stable with growth over all, but there are always layoff. These layoff are from new company being bought and redundancy being eliminated. We had forty hours of vendor training every year. We had reimbursement for certifications cost.

Cons

Layoff and being in more H1B instead of retraining employee. Upper management issues

retrain employees and hire American over foreign nationals

11. Great Company, Worst Boss

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Irving, TX

I worked at Verizon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay is great. Benefits are Great. Job is easy.

Cons

I had the worst boss that I have ever had in my life. His job seemed to be to make my life miserable. He made up rules without reasons just to show his power. He punished people for things they didn't do. He was a power mad micromanager.

Treat your employees like human beings.