Verizon

Verizon Reviews in Reading, England

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Verizon President & CEO Lowell McAdam

Lowell McAdam

Pros
  • excellent pay and benefits for the type of work performed(in 183 reviews)

• Good benefits and competetive or better salary especially the more years you have(in 209 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a very flexible working schedule to meet today's work/life balance needs(in 77 reviews)

• Management cannot do their jobs due to idiotic Upper Management fiascos(in 78 reviews)

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Big is not always better

Sales (Current Employee) Reading, England (UK)

ProsGood potential Earnings, able to work on global deals

Consvery challenging environment and political

Advice to Senior Managementgte a long term plan and stick to it to much change no need to reinvent the wheel

Pretty poor

Account Manager (Former Employee) Reading, England (UK)

ProsNice building to work in, good cafes and facilities. Decent benefits such as good pay, pension and gym downstairs.

ConsPoor leadership which leads to insecurity within teams and therefore leads to those trying to get ahead at the detriment of others. The pay is not worth the blood, sweat and tears.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually live the Verizon values especially integrity.

neutral

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Reading, England (UK)

ProsIt is centrally situated and has great people who work there. Benefits include working in a big corporate which is great for CV

ConsHardly ever progress people from with-in the company. Recognising talent and promoting it is not the usual practice. the benefit packages are sub standard,

Advice to Senior Managementpromote talent from with-in and avoid losing good employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Frustrating

Programmer Manager (Current Employee) Reading, England (UK)

ProsThe people on the ground are really fantastic. Hard working and eager to help.
    The Dot restaurant is OK.

ConsProcesses and admin is a nightmare. The workload seems to expand exponentially as more and more systems and processes stop working.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your team. Invest in your people. Stop outsourcing vital functions to save money.

Political driven company with no customer focus

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Reading, England (UK)

ProsGreat people, flexible work hours and interesting projects

ConsConstant re-orgs, incompetent managers that's been on the same position for years makes talanted people leave Verizon

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement by fear is not the way forward, listen to your customers and support your employees' ambition to develop.

I wouldn't work here again...

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Reading, England (UK)

ProsGlobal Diversity which gives you the opportunity to interact with a lot of people from different regions and nationalities.

ConsDownside is you have to make extra effort to interact with other departments. A lot of bureaucracy going on here as well. Difficult to move up the corporate ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome managers would benefit from taking a few more management courses! Being a manager doesn't necessarily mean you know it all. Take time to listen to your employees!

Great experience working at Verizon, Interesting and challenging

Credit Analyst (Former Employee) Reading, England (UK)

ProsGreat experience and team work.

Training support and development available

ConsChallenging times as company is going through restructure.

Departments not as interactive and open to communication as it could be. Takes time foe changes to be implemented

Advice to Senior ManagementTo listen to ground level staff as they experience the daily operational and systems issues. All areas of companies should be more open to new ideas and work as a team. There needs to be interaction with all departments and have common key objectives to aim for.

Poor Culture - Like the song goes "get me out of this place!"

Service Delivery Manager (Current Employee) Reading, England (UK)

ProsGood Salary

Limited career
    No ownership
    No accountability

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to staff
    Engage staff and deal with poor and agressive management
    Being a manager is a priviledge not a right and you need to earn respect
    Do not overtask employees
    Deal with issues
    Remember it takes seconds to lose a reputation and years to build one

Used to be good when it was WorldCom

Account Manager (Current Employee) Reading, England (UK)

ProsSalary package is good. If you like big empty offices that's a plus!!

ConsWhere to start! Constant reductions in staff increase pressure on fewer and fewer to deliver. Selling something is the easy part - the company then appear unable to deliver. Nobody takes ownership of issues. Sales targets growing 30% YOY! All investment goes into US network, International is just being left behind. Pressure to sell cloud and security for a long time now, forget voice and data. Oh, revenues are falling off a cliff, sell anything!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a culture of bullying from the top, which gets delivered down to those doing a hard days work. Staff feel undervalued and there is an attitude of 'if you don't like it, then leave' which undermines what could/should be a great company

Great salary but terrible company culture in the UK.

Account Manager (Current Employee) Reading, England (UK)

ProsGreat commission plan. Multi-cultural team

ConsI was told I would have to work far harder than then men to succeed in sales & they were not wrong! Younger ladies are likely to reach Junior Sales or Sales Support - the transition to Account Director seemed to be more based on your age/time in the company - not performance.
    Bit of a boys club if you ask me!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice! The company simply wasn't for me!!!

Worked for Verizon? Contribute to the Community!