Verizon

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.1 2,247 reviews

Verizon President & CEO Lowell McAdam

Lowell McAdam

Pros
  • excellent pay and benefits for the type of work performed (in 183 reviews)

• Good benefits and competetive or better salary especially the more years you have (in 209 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a very flexible working schedule to meet today's work/life balance needs (in 77 reviews)

• Management cannot do their jobs due to idiotic Upper Management fiascos (in 78 reviews)

More Highlights
2,247 Employee Reviews

Good starting point and good career

IT Quality Assurance (Current Employee) Irving, TX

ProsThis was my first company out of college and I stayed as a management employee for 11 years. I got a lot of on the job training and experience that has made me feel confident enough in my skills to take on new challenges. I really like that they promote diversity in the workplace. The benefits are great. I took advantage of all of it, and I would recommend that everyone does so. The 401k match, health benefits, tuition assistance, learning center, development and leadership workshops/opportunities are selling points. Salary is competitive, and depending on the organization you join, there are plenty of opportunities to move up. Depending on your organization's budget, you can get a hefty bonus and raise. Some positions are open to work at home and remote locations. I was recently laid off and was given a decent severance package, so if that's important to you, Verizon will take care of you in that regard.

ConsIt's just not stable. I don't know how I survived 11 years. There was always a big RIF (reduction in force, or layoff) at least once a year across all areas of the organization. I know this is just the nature of Corporate America today, so I can't pinpoint this on just Verizon. But it sucks because each business unit handles this differently. Some organizations don't allow lateral movement to other groups - so you may be stuck as a "lifer" if you don't want to grow under one group. Office politics are huge. Good ole' boy mentality and cronyism runs deep. A lot of people get paid way too much to do so little, and take advantage of it. The infrastructure and hiring process just \makes it easy for people to do so. Because of all the RIF's, I believe people only had enough motivation just to keep themselves afloat.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor IT: Invest in keeping the present human resources. If staff is underperforming, I can understand letting them go in RIF's. However, if an employee is doing well, find another way to cut costs. Verizon wastes way too much money on unused assets. It's easier to decommission unused servers or hardware versus retiring an evolving and knowledge hungry employee.

I made lifelong friends, received 100% tuition assistance, and developed my Customer Service expertise from the best.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay, benefits, and the strong friendships. Training and coaching is of top quality.

ConsLong hours and working weekends.

Superior

Billing Analyst (Current Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsThis company has high values and benefits

ConsLife, work, and balance is sometimes a challenge.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best and Worst Company in the World at the Same Time Resulting in an Average Company.

Director/Manager (Former Employee) Basking Ridge, NJ

ProsThe variety of departments allows employees to sample many positions. The training opportunities are plentiful. The culture allows for people to make mistakes, and recover from them so that careers can be salvaged. Compensation is good for people who are average or above average in intelligence. They are supportive of a diverse work force, work at home (to a point), and flexible work hours (to a point).

ConsHaving experienced many departments, I can attest to the following: Long Term planning jobs are safe, but dead end jobs; Marketing jobs are high reward with access to greater opportunities, and more probability of layoffs. IT is a sweat shop, and most employees burn out. In Finance you work hard, putting in long hours, but the work can be interesting. However, Finance is detached from the operations of the business, and the employees there are usually snowed by the people running the business. The Company is still undergoing a change from the joining of the Wireline and Wireless organizations. Since Wireless is now responsible for approximately 80% of the revenues, the former Wireless employees feel entitled, and superior to the Wireline employees. Working in the Landline side of the business is thankless. Finally, if you are in the top ten percentile of performers, you have to compete for very few spots, and if you are not rewarded within a reasonable period of time, you should go elsewhere. This is why Verizon is a great place to START a career.

Advice to Senior ManagementHistory has shown that during good economies, people leave VZ (nee Bell Atlantic) for better offers. Since VZ compensates most of the employee base well, they keep their employees during recessions, and mistreat them. Employees cannot keep a work/life balance. Now that pensions and full paid medical are a thing of the past, VZ will not be able to keep their talent as the economy improves. I don't believe that VZ's faith in Machine to Machine offerings will make up the difference. If VZ wants to be an innovator, it must benchmark itself with truly innovative companies (see companies with greater than an 80% approval rating on Glassdoor).

Enjoyed working for Verizon

Systems Consultant (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsWeekly pay check, great benefits with low premium, union

Consconstant rumors of downsizing, union, distance traveled to work

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Be strong and you will survive

Project Manager (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsPay & benefits. Great people. If you are smart and independent you will survive.

ConsTypical corporate nonsense. Top is clueless as to how the bottom functions. Managers barely speak to their teams. Consistently downsizing.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk what are your employees top concerns and help resolve.

Verizon

Summer Intern (Former Employee) Basking Ridge, NJ

ProsGreat summer Finance FLDP Internship program.

ConsCertain employees in charge of the program were less than helpful.

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue to develop the program and the talent it grows.

Good Experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsVerizon definitely is a great company to work for. They are always connected to their employees through web casts and keeping in touch via live chats during meetings. Verizon focuses on the total development of the individual as well as the team. They are always showing options for further career growth and development. I believe that having the chance to work for such an amazing organization will definitely enhance your career and pave the way for more challenging and rewarding opportunities.

ConsThere are no cons here.

Good

ProsCompany has great benefits; good bonus and health care

ConsIT is considered as a commodity. Most of the development work is done offshore

Good job, great spot for a long mediocre career.

Central Office Technician (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsDependable work and atmosphere. Solid business providing good job security. Decent benefits, decent pay. Good if you want a solid job, not recommended for ambitious career climbers.

ConsNot bad if starting now, but has gone downhill for those of us that have been there awhile. Hard to advance once tagged with the wireline and union labels.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better advantage of those employees that want to do more. There are lots of employees that are happy to just keep on keeping on, but you have developed others that have great potential outside of wireless. Use them. Wireless is the driver, but the wireline still has good people that can transition.

Worked for Verizon? Contribute to the Community!