Verizon

3.3
2,551 Reviews

Verizon President & CEO Lowell McAdam
Lowell McAdam

Pros
  • The best thing is the pay and benefits that start on your first da (in 194 reviews)

• Good work-life balance depending on which part of the business you are in (in 90 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of work/life balance attribute to high absenteeism across the company (in 94 reviews)

• Management cannot do their jobs due to idiotic Upper Management fiascos (in 88 reviews)

More Highlights

Company tries but management suffers from schizophrenia

Former Employee - Solutions Architect
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect

I worked at Verizon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training, easily set and met expectations, goal oriented

Cons

Lack of top down clarity of mission and vision. Makes drastic, complex and hurtful changes far too often.

Slow down. Get a strategy and stick with it.

Great

Current Employee - Network Security Engineer in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Network Security Engineer in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at Verizon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Verizon is extremely focused on their customers, technology, and innovation while taking excellent care of its employees. They provide opportunities for employees to share and present ideas while encouraging them to grow personally and advance professionally. They offer up to $8,000 in reimbursements for educational/training costs. The benefits and salary are extremely competitive. Co-workers are smart and want to share new ideas and work information with you. You also have access to an on-site wellness center with free chair massages, gym, 24 HR ATM, bank, Starbucks, live music during lunch, large café, concierge, free shuttle service to and from metro stations, and more. It is not very hard to see why most people who work here tend to stay a very long time.

Cons

Sure it’s a large company and there will be shifts in leadership, but it’s rare and won’t have much effect on your daily job functions. Some employees can talk negative or whine about their job or the company, but that’s almost everywhere, and you learn very quickly to tune out those toxic employees.

Keep up the great work!

Great Internship Experience

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Basking Ridge, NJ

I worked at Verizon as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As a Verizon Intern you are treated like an employee instead of an Intern.

Paid Internship.

Great feel of a corporate environment

Cons

8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday - Friday

You're held accountable for all work that you do.

Try not to ask too many questions about projects assigned to you.

A great, American company with tremendous market presence

Current Employee - Executive Staff, Marketing in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Executive Staff, Marketing in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Verizon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

All of the benefits of working for a large, global company - professional development, opportunity, flexibility, training

Cons

Work/life balance was challenging at times due to the intensity/demand

Frequent reorganizations seemed to prevent agility

Good company to work for, but is in a tough spot.

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Denver, CO

I have been working at Verizon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company has good potential. Great fit for those who are looking for a constant change environment, and get bored in a position within a year or two.

Cons

Change is not strategic to the organization. Too many changes made to even see the effect through the organization before a new change is made. Difficult to build a career path, or have stability.

Management says this time we are going to keep this going this way and it is our path to the future. 6 months later the path needs to change? Come on gentlemen. Please stop listening to Wall Street more than you listen to your customers and employees. Successful long term strategies around product and the internal organization is what deliver major results. The short term 6-12 month turn the ship 90 degrees port then do a 180 degree turn 6-12 months later is hurting the org.

I very much enjoyed my job.

Former Employee - Coordinator in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Verizon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

All kinds of job transfer possibilities within the company.

Cons

Outsourcing jobs to other countries!

Give those who prove to be self starters more authority to get their job done!

GTE/ Verizon was a part of my life for 36 years. It was a wonderfull experience and never wanted to leave

Former Employee - Senior PBX Technician in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior PBX Technician in Irvine, CA

I worked at Verizon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They provided my family security and financial gain as well as experience in the telecom field and training.

Cons

Seeing all the technical changes that have happened over the last 30 years, from copper, to Voip

Trust your employees, especially the ones with experience

Solutions Specialist

Current Employee - Solutions Specialist in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Solutions Specialist in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Verizon full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and pay. Freedom to make your own money. High energy environment!

Cons

Quota goals sometimes are not realistic with the fact you have over staffing of sales reps.

Focus on the customer and innovation. We're already the big dawgs in the wireless industry. No need to push things on people.

I work for Verizon in Orangeburg,NY and let me say this,it is worth the ride!

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Orangeburg, NY
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Orangeburg, NY

I have been working at Verizon full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I travel each day by public transportation,train,and taxi,well worth it for the money,(with commission that is)i pray one day i can move to rockland county,even for a temporary rental,for 1 yr.till i can save enough,but so far i am enjoying it premise on benefits. the girl who interview me,told me by fone,"full benefits from DAY ONE,i did NOT believe her UNTIL i seen it for myself.VERIZON is a great place,and the gym is a helpful nice relaxation atmosphere.I love the full medical and the pay with commission seriously can't top it you guys.I again travel public transportation,and i now have a driver who will help me get there daily, i hired a driver,for me 100.00 week well worth it,and i have NO ISSUE so far for while with this great company.

Cons

The travel. at first i was depress because if train late,i am then dock pay some hours,but now i place ad on FB and other sites indeed,fb,space,craiglist,find a NICE woman driver! she bring me back n forth,IF i can't procure the train on time. talk about luck.... IMO this position company should really be in NJ and NYC area,for more people to get to easily.Experience people,who actually LOVE our job is hard to find,so maybe 1 day it will be. But for now i love it,worth travel 1hr.for work and back,and my boss is NOT strict stuck up and i m appreciating the job so for this year.

LESS KIDDIE-CHIT CHAT,AT TIMES,THAT SHOULD NEVER BE IN BUSINESS LIKE VERIZON AND INSIDE SALES OFFICE WORK. LESS GOSSIP around the office,then it will be more perfect,i ignore it,but so far it has been getting better,for the MATURE professional like me mid thirties and up with much experience,great place seriously.... GREAT OVERALL.SO FAR THIS YEAR.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst

I have been working at Verizon full-time

Pros

Not micro managed, room to grow, ability to complete assigned projects with minimal supervision, competitive benefits package, great people to work with, clear guidelines of expectations

Cons

Security is tight, gaining access to systems for which I work is a chore, procedures/processes not well defined or not completely followed, need for better testing environments.

Trust in your workers to do their job and not be so highly locked down for our systems. Allow the users/QA the proper opportunity to test systems more thouroughly. Besides that, keep doing what you're doing to allow us to move forward as a company.