Verizon

3.1 2,209 reviews

Verizon President & CEO Lowell McAdam

Lowell McAdam

2,209 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "excellent pay and benefits for the type of work performed"
    in 172 reviews
  • "Good company to work for with good potential for career growth and good benefits"
    in 202 reviews
Cons:
  • "Not a very flexible working schedule to meet today's work/life balance needs"
    in 71 reviews
  • "Management cannot do their jobs due to idiotic Upper Management fiascos"
    in 76 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Verizon turned my life upside down - thank God I escaped and got my life back

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsNone. It really is that bad.

ConsThe work life balance made me unwell. And when I got unwell and tried to discuss the challenges of workload, I wasn't listened to. I went sick for two weeks at doctors orders and they stopped my pay. After faithful service for 7 years and not a single day off sick, this is how they treat you. You are disposable. Not valued.

Advice to Senior ManagementA culture of honour, respect, trust and innovation has to be more than the plaque you place in your foyer.

Overpaid, treated horribly.

Fiber Customer Support Analyst (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsAmazing pay for the work with stellar benefits. Some opportunities to climb the ladder.

ConsFor such a huge company there is a great deal of favoritism. The tension between the Company and the Union causes disenfranchisement. Company policies often attempt to union bust but the employee (who is NOT given a choice as to whether or not to become part of the union) is the one who suffers.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and get with the 21st century. The union will no longer be needed when draconian employee management practices are no longer utilized.

Not a place you want to work

IT Manager (Former Employee)
    Silver Spring, MD

ProsZERO! Verizon Wireless people are running all of the IT function. They are incompetent and depend of vendors to do the work that should be done by internal employees. The technical skill level of the Verizon Wireless technical people and their managers is minimal at best.

ConsMassive outsourcing to India is continuing unabated. Management's goal is to have over 90% of IT functions being done in India.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop worrying about your executive bonuses based on how many people you can RIF in the United States and take care of the career employees who made the IT function one of the best. Unfortunately now thanks to your shortsightedness it is one of the worst.

McAdam is a known union buster.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Family DOCTOR calls it a terrible place to work, based on the amount of patients/employees seen for work related stress.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsNot much. With the passage of Obamacare, as of March 2014, Verizon has passed medical benefits over to the union in many locals. What once was part of the benefits package and no cost to the employee has now changed, with unions charging for the same benefits. Also, as of March 2014, all new hires are no longer eligible for a retirement package. Only pay-in 401k's are a available, although they have a small matching plan (max 6%).The pay is still adequate, but at what price when it comes to health?

ConsThe working environment is horrendous with upper management making decisions while having no concept of how they play out on the job. Customer service frequently makes promises that are not able to be carried out in the field. This is a large money, money, money company. They make almost weekly changes that demand more of the employee, while making increased stipulations on how things must be done. They micromanage beyond belief. If you are in the field, making an installation a block from your own home residence, you must get a supervisor's approval to go home for lunch, or even to use the bathroom.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think of that show called "Undercover Bosses" and think that some of the big wigs in the company ought to spend a day or two a month riding with their installers and techs, just to see what the job is really like. Open you're eyes. Happy employees will make for a much better company. Also, for a company that claims to be green, the money spent in gas, due to poor dispatching of jobs, could save a bundle. One tech, given 3 jobs in 3 different towns, while he passes othe techs going back to the same towns he just came from, makes for a LOT of money wasted on gas.

Going downhill

Lead Systems Consultant - Systems/Architecture (Former Employee)
    Richardson, TX

ProsGood Medical, Dental benefits, OK worklife balance

ConsThey're laying off long term employees even though the company is doing well and replacing employees with low payed contractors

Don't do it

ProsSalary is very competitive for title level

ConsToo many diversity hires, incompetent senior leadership, change direction literally every six months.

Anonymous

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros401k match, get a company truck

ConsManagers are bullies. They are trying to fire and suspend workers to bring new workers in. Union is not supportive. Negativity. Since I have worked there, there have been more than 10 employees who have been harassed that they opted to retire. Terrible morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the managers who are lowering your standards and harassing your employees. Instead of numbers( you are a multi billion dollar company) stand by the good employees under your roof. Take care of your employees..there's no appreciation, just harassment.

Too cumbersome. Needs to be simplified.

Local Manager (Former Employee)
    Pomona, CA

ProsCould possibly regain all my seniority.

ConsManagement rushes to judgement. If a 25 yr. employee makes a mistake and has an absolute clean record, you should not cut him loose. Train him on what he did wrong so everyone can learn, improve and move on. Do not just automatically assume he is a liability and cut him loose. This is completely unfair.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better. They are not just a number. Do some research before you act.

It is not that great

Fsfsdfsf (Current Employee)
    Irving, TX

ProsGood benefits and long term projects

ConsSo personalization decision makers are always happy

Advice to Senior ManagementBe Fair

Why Everybody Hates Verizon

Director (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsCompensation package is good once you get to the Director level.

ConsVirtually no hope of upward movement. Individuals can't become managers, managers are not being promoted to directors. The morale is terrible -- layoff after layoff after layoff. It is a completely top-down culture with no regard for the worker bees. Very conservative, risk-adverse culture that values titles more than experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more and promote a better work-life balance.

Worked for Verizon? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Verizon reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam. All 2,209 reviews posted anonymously by Verizon employees.