Verizon

Updated Jul 21, 2014

3.1 2,228 reviews

Verizon President & CEO Lowell McAdam

Lowell McAdam

Pros
  • excellent pay and benefits for the type of work performed(in 182 reviews)

• Good benefits and competetive or better salary especially the more years you have(in 209 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a very flexible working schedule to meet today's work/life balance needs(in 77 reviews)

• Management cannot do their jobs due to idiotic Upper Management fiascos(in 78 reviews)

2,228 Employee Reviews

Good pay, average benefits, bad working conditions

Senior Staff Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsPay is good, technology is exciting

ConsVery political, very little opportunity for advancement, lots of playing favorites

Advice to Senior ManagementAward promotions based on merit, not favorites

If you like to drink the kool-aid and look past the terrible customer service.....sign-up.

Operations Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat salary, OK benefits (compared to market)

ConsThere are shrinking perks. The company has gotten huge.....and it acts like it. No pension..less contribution to health care. Leaders are always afraid of something which makes for an unreasonably stressful environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove customer service and perception regardless of the cost. Blow your budget if necessary. You'll probably be fired or banned from Basking Ridge...but you'll be a hero!

VERIZON WAS THE MOST POORLY MANAGED COMPANY; WORST WORK CLIMATE, WORST COMPENSATION

Senior Brand Director (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsLarge Telecommunications Company with fast moving business agenda.

ConsStaffed with mediocre "managers" and underqualified personnell. Culture is Anti Change. No EEO Controls of any kind. Employees overworked and grossly underpaid. "Stars" are buried rather than protected and advanced.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over. Get rid of the dead weight. Hire confident, decisive, very smart managers. Put controls in place for EEO matters and have that report to the CEO. Customer service is terrible. Climate not conducive to innovation. TERRIBLE advertising and branding. No strategic forcus.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsVerizon definitely is a great company to work for. They are always connected to their employees through web casts and keeping in touch via live chats during meetings. Verizon focuses on the total development of the individual as well as the team. They are always showing options for further career growth and development. I believe that having the chance to work for such an amazing organization will definitely enhance your career and pave the way for more challenging and rewarding opportunities.

ConsThere are no cons here.

Good job, great spot for a long mediocre career.

Central Office Technician (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsDependable work and atmosphere. Solid business providing good job security. Decent benefits, decent pay. Good if you want a solid job, not recommended for ambitious career climbers.

ConsNot bad if starting now, but has gone downhill for those of us that have been there awhile. Hard to advance once tagged with the wireline and union labels.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better advantage of those employees that want to do more. There are lots of employees that are happy to just keep on keeping on, but you have developed others that have great potential outside of wireless. Use them. Wireless is the driver, but the wireline still has good people that can transition.

Not a place to stay long term...

Network Engineer (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsExcellent benefits with 401k matching. Depending in the job, they pay overtime with no problem.

ConsThere is no room to move up in company once you get hired on. There are so many "RIF's", which is a term that is used by the company other than using layoffs that doesn't have to be reported to the media that most people (literally 70%) are in fear if losing their jobs. Some managers shouldn't have their position. Alot don't know what the hell they are doing and just kissing senior management's butts.

This company is so political that it's killing it. The motto is customers first which is a killer. Employees should be first then the customer. There is definitely favoritism in every department in which destroys most teams.

They are ramping up to send alot of jobs overseas and everyone knows it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat everyone equally and quit sending jobs overseas. Alot of good people are leaving the company for this reason alone. Employee retention would increase dramatically if this was to stop.

Poor Salary

Manager (Current Employee) Ashburn, VA

ProsPoor salary Poor salary poor

ConsManagement poor management poor management

Advice to Senior Managementquit quit quit quit quit

Great Experience - Good People

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsVerizon has a lot too offer someone and people you work with are caring and proud people

ConsManagement tends to shift and not have specific direction

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow your People and value they bring to the table. Recognize without them you would be doing their job.

Very tough, depressing job.

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Highlands Ranch, CO

ProsGood benefits and top notch HR department

ConsVery micromanaged environment, with leads that are distributed through a very political process of who is liked by the manager, and who isn't. Only 15% of the folks were making their goals. Most employees are very unhappy in the sales department due to the lack of delivery on the promises that were given when they started.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through with what you say you're going to do, and treat your staff like you would be treated.

Good

ProsCompany has great benefits; good bonus and health care

ConsIT is considered as a commodity. Most of the development work is done offshore

Worked for Verizon? Contribute to the Community!