Verizon Reviews

3.3
2,328 Reviews

Verizon President & CEO Lowell McAdam
Lowell McAdam

Pros
  • excellent pay and benefits for the type of work performed (in 183 reviews)

• Good benefits and competetive or better salary especially the more years you have (in 209 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a very flexible working schedule to meet today's work/life balance needs (in 77 reviews)

• Management cannot do their jobs due to idiotic Upper Management fiascos (in 78 reviews)

More Highlights

Enterprise Solutions Sales Organization

Current Employee - Client Partner
    Current Employee - Client Partner

I have been working at Verizon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits, especially health care and matching 401K, are great.

Cons

Sales people are not empowered, size of the organization inhibits agility, limited investment in career development

Your people are closest to your customers - Build a collaborative working environment that values their input

Service provider slowly evolving into a new high tech company.

I have been working at Verizon full-time for more than a year

Pros

The 401k plan is outstanding. If you are talented and driven you will standout at Verizon.

Cons

The company talent level is as high as other companies

Be more willing to hear and adopt ideas from other successful companies.

Chaotic and too many managers and not enough workers

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Nash, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nash, TN

I worked at Verizon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Salary is good, yearly bonus if you meet goals. Lots of time off allotted, Personal Time, Vacation Time. Good Training program.

Cons

Call Center environment has changed and no only 90 seconds between calls. Two fifteen minutes breaks in an 8 hrs shift. If you have to go to the bathroom, that time is deducted from your attendance. 75% of people on the phone are are some kind of write up. If it's that many, the people are not the problem.

Be available. You can walk the floors for 20 minutes and find no one authorized to do what you need done. Supervisors disappear after Management leaves at 5pm. Really hurts morale to see 4-5 supervisors in a group discussing weekend activities when their team is on the phone call after call. Get off your butt and help out your team. The success of your team impacts your bonus!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

VES is a sinking ship

Former Employee - Etc  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Etc in New York, NY

I worked at Verizon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits package. A well-known name in the market.

Cons

Constant turnover in upper management. Each takes a turn and leaves with revenues lower than when they started. Losing market share to competition because of Verizon's poor service reputation and higher prices.

Stick to your knitting and focus on carrier and access services.

Good and bad. A pressure cooker. No company loyalty. Inept executives.

Former Employee - FiOS Field Supervisor  in  Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - FiOS Field Supervisor in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Verizon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great compensation. Great products. Very Talented employees. Opportunities for training.

Cons

No Company loyalty. Managers are expendable every day. You are a hero one minute and subject to layoff the next.

Return to some of the ideas of Bell Atlantic. Pride in professionalism. Get rid of the bottom feeders and back stabbers. Put people in place that will provide consistent messages to the field. Stop the infighting and cannibalism. The culture when I left was horrible. When I was laid off, no one on my entire management team called to check on me, wish me well or anything. It was strange. Good luck.

More bad than good.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Reston, VA

I worked at Verizon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Annual bonus was awesome, but to stay long enough to receive it was challenging. Co-workers were quality folks and created a family type atmosphere.

Cons

Micromanagement...Co-workers very personable, management - not so much. Long time, old school style of management didn't work for the good people on board. The style of management created an unusual turnover rate. Had I known the annual turnover rate, I wouldn't have gone there to work. At that point in time it was over 25% annually

Find fresh new faces to put in front of the customer. Keeping the hardliner, old school, style of management will certainly spell disaster (I've heard it already has).

Too much red tape/heavy politics

Current Employee - Undisclosed  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Undisclosed in Boston, MA

I have been working at Verizon full-time for less than a year

Pros

The salary and benefits are good. Work/life balance is OK, though one group I work with enforces overtime. Most of my colleagues are brilliant. My direct manager is great.

Cons

Verizon treats all divisions equally, even though it should not be one size fits all. The politics and overhead of getting anything done without having a billion people sign off on it gets in the way of doing a good job. There is also an incredible amount of infighting and "us versus them" mentality, even though we are supposed to be on the same team with the same goals (make the customers happy).

Get a clue about how to run Verizon Enterprise Services (software/cloud) and support the people who are killing themselves to do a good job.

Consultant

Former Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Verizon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits, great pay. Fast paced environment where if you can get into another department you will be happier and be able to utilize real life skills

Cons

Management continuous on your back about sales objectives, and will write you up over minor things trying to kill off the Union. Horrible middle management that are worried more about numbers than they are about the people making the numbers for them. Sweat shop mentality

Look at the quality of people you have and see that most of them are high caliber treat with respect!

Decent company, many re-org

I worked at Verizon

Pros

good benefit, tuition reimbursement, flexibility,

Cons

little advancement opportunity, many re-org, no coffee

No bad but not 'all that'...

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff - Systems Engineering Consultant  in  Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff - Systems Engineering Consultant in Ashburn, VA

I worked at Verizon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

good pay, decent training, some interesting projects

Cons

the corporate Windows image you are forced to use to get on the network is a nightmare; not a lot of chance for advancement as they are always downsizing; you feel like a number most of the time; they place individual contributors in very small cubes, think veal; they love to off-shore work to India or South America; they pretend to be a green company but aren't really

don't put professionals into tiny cubes unless it's a sign of how much you respect/appreciate them

Worked for Verizon? Contribute to the Community!