Verizon Wireless Reviews in Chicago, IL

2,826 Reviews

Verizon Wireless President & CEO Daniel Mead
Daniel Mead
1,363 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay and benefits were good although commissions began shrinking which is why I eventually left (in 180 reviews)

• They offer great benefits - full health insurance from day 1 - no probation period (in 536 reviews)

Cons
  • Let see: almost NO work-life balance (asking for vacation gets you the evil-eye (in 261 reviews)

• They work you so many hours with no work/life balance at all (in 72 reviews)

More Highlights

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Challenging and Rewarding

Current Employee - Director  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Competitive wages, industry leading benefits, advancement opportunities.

Cons

Not for those who can't adjust to change.

Maintain attention on customer and employee experience.

Aggressive Goals

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay and Benefits are good.

Cons

Horrible work life balance and senior leadership. DM and above.

Take care of your front line managers, they will take care of the reps and they will take care of the customers.

Overview of Verizon Wireless

Former Employee - Global Account Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Global Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Leader in Wireless technology and largest 4G footprint in the US, makes you feel confident in the products and solutions you are selling. Extremely smart and helpful people.

Cons

Lots of internal politics and 'old boy' network

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ehh... work for coporate

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's not a labor job... so you're not really doing any labor.

Cons

Quotas are the biggest thing

Won't listen anyways

You will not be bored and can learn new things on a constant basis.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than a year

Pros

Bright, engaged, competitive teams make the day fun. Many people stay with the organization for years. Good benefits, health/vision, education reimbursement. Community involvement is encouraged.

Cons

Sometimes finding information can be a challenge in a big organization. Lots of product launches.

Some systems could be simplified.

Always changing, sometimes for the good, sometimes not.

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good pay for work performed. Good benefits including 401k match, tuition reimbursement, health, dental and vision insurance and employee phone plan discounts. If you are willing to relocate and are a top performer, the opportunities for promotion are available.

Cons

Sales goals are always increasing significantly or can change drastically from one month to the next. Some sales earn commissions while other, near identical sales do not. Intense pressure to sell accessories! Significant swings in commissions from month to month depending on quota and offers. Management's message is inconsistent. Work/Life Balance but then requires 6 day work weeks. Sell with Integrity but you have to sell $100 in accessories every time or risk losing your job.

Model commission structure around desired performance goals. It's counterproductive that we are virtually pressured not to sell phones to certain customers if they are not buying $100-$140 in accessories at the same time. Finally, truly encourage leadership to live our Core Values, not just recite them at yearly kick-offs.

Good introduction into technology sales, always changing environment

Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great training, great benefits, lots of money to be made if you're aggressive

Cons

Quotas can sometimes be unreasonable

Don't micromanage, it brings staff's morale down

Good Experience

Current Employee - Verizon Wireless Sales Representative  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Verizon Wireless Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Pay, Benefits, and advancement opportunity

Cons

I don't have any cons

I don't have any cons

Great products and services, but policies and credo are optional

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The best network in the industry. Easy to sell because they offer the most of any wireless provider.
    - Awesome accessories. Able to demo products to customers all day long.
    - Benefits are great. They offer total coverage at very low cost and have a lot of deals with other companies for discounted rates on products
    - Definitely a company that takes risks and change is an everyday occurrence. I liked the pace that the company moved at and they aren't afraid to take chances on products and services.

Cons

- They say they live by their credo, but when I had issues with my store and reported it to HR for violations of policy/credo they turned everything around and pointed the finger at me as to what I was doing wrong
    - Go with the flow or be prepared to be ostracized. The first day they tell you to speak up if you see or hear anything that is a breach of policy or conduct, but if/when you do a blind ear is turned toward you. If it doesn't impact their numbers/profit, upper management doesn't care.
    - Numbers, numbers, numbers. Reports, reports, reports. Profit, profit, profit. It all comes down to numbers. If you don't hit their metrics they'll be breathing down your neck. It's like having someone over your shoulder all day long.
    - Mandatory 7am meetings every Friday (unless you're off that day). Some of the information in these meetings is important, but most of it could be covered on a regular day or through an email. Verizon has us selling off of iPads instead of computers, yet they haven't found a way to do a video conference call or these meetings so you don't have to go in every Friday? It's a waste of gas and time, especially if you have to close that day.
    - Extending upgrade timers 4 months for customers eligible after September 1st, 2013 because upgrades are not in the contract, taking away 25% discounts off of smart accessories, not allowing reps to be paid on 'buddy upgrades,' pushing upgrade timers back to 24 months...I understand profit is key for this company, but with all the changes being made it seems more like greed. It got to a point where a new line felt like a failed transaction if I didn't sell accessories or get a tablet/jetpack/comcast add. And now reps are gun shy about getting new lines because it'll hurt their scorecard if they don't get accessories with it.

- Don't take for granted your reps. They are extremely unhappy right now and the overall attitude from your front line associates is very poor.
    - Stop micromanaging every little detail. There has to be room for mistakes/errors.
    - You are the best carrier in the country, but right now it feels like you are very arrogant and cocky.
    - Just because you're a great rep it doesn't make you a great leader. Stop hiring the best sales reps as managers. Hire those who can coach, lead and inspire. When your leaders are teaching reps to lie and cheat customers to hit their numbers it makes for a very uncomfortable work environment.

Sales Representative

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, tons of vacation hours, flexible schedule,

Cons

weekend hours, busy holiday season hours

Worked for Verizon Wireless? Contribute to the Community!