Verizon Wireless

3,242 Reviews

Verizon Wireless President & CEO Daniel Mead
Daniel Mead
1,576 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay and benefits were good although commissions began shrinking which is why I eventually left (in 205 reviews)

• They offer great benefits - full health insurance from day 1 - no probation period (in 616 reviews)

Cons
  • Let see: almost NO work-life balance (asking for vacation gets you the evil-eye (in 328 reviews)

• They work you so many hours with no work/life balance at all (in 91 reviews)

More Highlights

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Sales

Current Employee - Verizon Wireless Retail Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Verizon Wireless Retail Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy fast money great hours easy if you like to work

Cons

Holidays are the worst but sales are the best

Made more money then I ever thought for retail

Current Employee - Solutions Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You have the chance to earn upwards of $70k a year if you perform over 150% to quota every month. It is possible if you listen to how the top reps work and learn all the tricks. 8 hour work shifts, most you work is 42 or so hours a week. Most managers are fun and semi-hands off and let you do what you want as long as you make them money. Room for advancement if you want, but top reps often make more then managers. Lots of sales contests and ways to track your stats if you're interested in that. Management doesn't always promote those with the best numbers.

Cons

Weird work hours. No social life. You either work 10-7, 11-8. So it's hard to make it to the gym or play sports etc. after work, especially in winter. You need a killer's mentality to make more then $50,000 a year. Not always the most honest people tend to make the most and do the best. Work can be clique-ish or lone wolf, with people from mid 20s to in their 40's of all backgrounds. You do your work and go home or end up hanging out on the weekends with coworkers. Youll work weekends as thats when the best sales often take place.

Try to have a better work-life balance. We know its retail but working to 8 or 9 three nights a week ruins people. My manager was great, letting us get food whenever we want or sit in the back if it's slow, but if you have a bad manager your life will suck. Hire managers that care about their people and not just making numbers.

Solutions specialist

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company has Great benefits and great pay. Awsome medical insurance and 4o1k 100% match. Verizon is a very good company to work for.

Cons

Having to shove accessories down customers throats. Long retail hours. Not a lot if "work life balance"

I'm not sure if responding this email it will get to right person. I will try to explain my concern and beliefs on this Matter. I am a retail sales associate. Mine as well as my Co ' workers accessorie per device sold should be around $90. It is part of are score card. Score card also they way they look at are performance. If you are avg. In all categories but fall below on accessorie take rate. You could very well be a under performance and risk loosing your job. My coworkers will "walk" a customer that is not purchasing accessories! I will often take the customer that they are walking because I believe 110% it is my job to take care of them and make sure there experience I great. This will affect my score card but when I was hired 5 yrs. Ago I was taught we were integrity based and customer focused. Are credo and score card definitely are counter deceive and some sales reps believe that is what they must do. It unfortunate. I refuse to walk a customer. I put myself self in the customers shoes. $90 is a inflated expectation. Customers have many options as far as the basic case charger and screen protectors. (Ebay amazon ext) I think arev should be a metric I understand it generates a big part of our revenue. But we are walking customers over it. There has to be another way! Growth is king a quote from a district manager. But we must maintain the customers we have to be profitable. To me walking a customer is stealing from the company as well as stealing from the customers experience.

Aggressive Goals

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and Benefits are good.

Cons

Horrible work life balance and senior leadership. DM and above.

Take care of your front line managers, they will take care of the reps and they will take care of the customers.

Challenging and Rewarding

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive wages, industry leading benefits, advancement opportunities.

Cons

Not for those who can't adjust to change.

Maintain attention on customer and employee experience.

Overview of Verizon Wireless

Former Employee - Global Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Global Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leader in Wireless technology and largest 4G footprint in the US, makes you feel confident in the products and solutions you are selling. Extremely smart and helpful people.

Cons

Lots of internal politics and 'old boy' network

Ehh... work for coporate

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's not a labor job... so you're not really doing any labor.

Cons

Quotas are the biggest thing

Won't listen anyways

You will not be bored and can learn new things on a constant basis.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bright, engaged, competitive teams make the day fun. Many people stay with the organization for years. Good benefits, health/vision, education reimbursement. Community involvement is encouraged.

Cons

Sometimes finding information can be a challenge in a big organization. Lots of product launches.

Some systems could be simplified.

Always changing, sometimes for the good, sometimes not.

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay for work performed. Good benefits including 401k match, tuition reimbursement, health, dental and vision insurance and employee phone plan discounts. If you are willing to relocate and are a top performer, the opportunities for promotion are available.

Cons

Sales goals are always increasing significantly or can change drastically from one month to the next. Some sales earn commissions while other, near identical sales do not. Intense pressure to sell accessories! Significant swings in commissions from month to month depending on quota and offers. Management's message is inconsistent. Work/Life Balance but then requires 6 day work weeks. Sell with Integrity but you have to sell $100 in accessories every time or risk losing your job.

Model commission structure around desired performance goals. It's counterproductive that we are virtually pressured not to sell phones to certain customers if they are not buying $100-$140 in accessories at the same time. Finally, truly encourage leadership to live our Core Values, not just recite them at yearly kick-offs.

Good Experience

Current Employee - Verizon Wireless Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Verizon Wireless Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Pay, Benefits, and advancement opportunity

Cons

I don't have any cons

I don't have any cons