Verizon Wireless

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Challenging and Rewarding

Director (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsCompetitive wages, industry leading benefits, advancement opportunities.

ConsNot for those who can't adjust to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain attention on customer and employee experience.

Ridiculous

Assistant Retail Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe pay is great if you have no family to go home to.

ConsThey always have blackout periods where you can't take your vacation time, that YOU'VE earned already. There were days where I went up to 3 days without seeing my kids because the hours I worked where just insane.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter work/ life balance for your retail staff.

Overview of Verizon Wireless

Global Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsLeader in Wireless technology and largest 4G footprint in the US, makes you feel confident in the products and solutions you are selling. Extremely smart and helpful people.

ConsLots of internal politics and 'old boy' network

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ehh... work for coporate

Retail Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsIt's not a labor job... so you're not really doing any labor.

ConsQuotas are the biggest thing

Advice to Senior ManagementWon't listen anyways

You will not be bored and can learn new things on a constant basis.

(Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsBright, engaged, competitive teams make the day fun. Many people stay with the organization for years. Good benefits, health/vision, education reimbursement. Community involvement is encouraged.

ConsSometimes finding information can be a challenge in a big organization. Lots of product launches.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome systems could be simplified.

Always changing, sometimes for the good, sometimes not.

Retail Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGood pay for work performed. Good benefits including 401k match, tuition reimbursement, health, dental and vision insurance and employee phone plan discounts. If you are willing to relocate and are a top performer, the opportunities for promotion are available.

ConsSales goals are always increasing significantly or can change drastically from one month to the next. Some sales earn commissions while other, near identical sales do not. Intense pressure to sell accessories! Significant swings in commissions from month to month depending on quota and offers. Management's message is inconsistent. Work/Life Balance but then requires 6 day work weeks. Sell with Integrity but you have to sell $100 in accessories every time or risk losing your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementModel commission structure around desired performance goals. It's counterproductive that we are virtually pressured not to sell phones to certain customers if they are not buying $100-$140 in accessories at the same time. Finally, truly encourage leadership to live our Core Values, not just recite them at yearly kick-offs.

Good introduction into technology sales, always changing environment

Retail Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat training, great benefits, lots of money to be made if you're aggressive

ConsQuotas can sometimes be unreasonable

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't micromanage, it brings staff's morale down

Good Experience

Verizon Wireless Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGreat Pay, Benefits, and advancement opportunity

ConsI don't have any cons

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't have any cons

Great products and services, but policies and credo are optional

Retail Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Pros- The best network in the industry. Easy to sell because they offer the most of any wireless provider.
    - Awesome accessories. Able to demo products to customers all day long.
    - Benefits are great. They offer total coverage at very low cost and have a lot of deals with other companies for discounted rates on products
    - Definitely a company that takes risks and change is an everyday occurrence. I liked the pace that the company moved at and they aren't afraid to take chances on products and services.

Cons- They say they live by their credo, but when I had issues with my store and reported it to HR for violations of policy/credo they turned everything around and pointed the finger at me as to what I was doing wrong
    - Go with the flow or be prepared to be ostracized. The first day they tell you to speak up if you see or hear anything that is a breach of policy or conduct, but if/when you do a blind ear is turned toward you. If it doesn't impact their numbers/profit, upper management doesn't care.
    - Numbers, numbers, numbers. Reports, reports, reports. Profit, profit, profit. It all comes down to numbers. If you don't hit their metrics they'll be breathing down your neck. It's like having someone over your shoulder all day long.
    - Mandatory 7am meetings every Friday (unless you're off that day). Some of the information in these meetings is important, but most of it could be covered on a regular day or through an email. Verizon has us selling off of iPads instead of computers, yet they haven't found a way to do a video conference call or these meetings so you don't have to go in every Friday? It's a waste of gas and time, especially if you have to close that day.
    - Extending upgrade timers 4 months for customers eligible after September 1st, 2013 because upgrades are not in the contract, taking away 25% discounts off of smart accessories, not allowing reps to be paid on 'buddy upgrades,' pushing upgrade timers back to 24 months...I understand profit is key for this company, but with all the changes being made it seems more like greed. It got to a point where a new line felt like a failed transaction if I didn't sell accessories or get a tablet/jetpack/comcast add. And now reps are gun shy about getting new lines because it'll hurt their scorecard if they don't get accessories with it.

Advice to Senior Management- Don't take for granted your reps. They are extremely unhappy right now and the overall attitude from your front line associates is very poor.
    - Stop micromanaging every little detail. There has to be room for mistakes/errors.
    - You are the best carrier in the country, but right now it feels like you are very arrogant and cocky.
    - Just because you're a great rep it doesn't make you a great leader. Stop hiring the best sales reps as managers. Hire those who can coach, lead and inspire. When your leaders are teaching reps to lie and cheat customers to hit their numbers it makes for a very uncomfortable work environment.

Sales Representative

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat benefits, tons of vacation hours, flexible schedule,

Consweekend hours, busy holiday season hours

Worked for Verizon Wireless? Contribute to the Community!

Verizon Wireless Videos

Verizon Wireless – Why Work for Us?

Verizon Wireless is....YOU. Our customers. Our suppliers. The communities we serve. Our employees. We are a company that is truly a reflection of the world around us: diverse, high-energy, inquisitive, moving forward… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Verizon Wireless reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Verizon Wireless CEO Daniel Mead. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Verizon Wireless employees.