Verizon Wireless

3.3 2,678 reviews

Verizon Wireless President & CEO Daniel Mead

Daniel Mead

(1,291 ratings)

Pros
  • Pay and benefits were good although commissions began shrinking which is why I eventually left(in 178 reviews)

• They offer great benefits - full health insurance from day 1 - no probation period(in 528 reviews)

Cons
  • Let see: almost NO work-life balance (asking for vacation gets you the evil-eye(in 254 reviews)

• They work you so many hours with no work/life balance at all(in 72 reviews)

2,678 Employee Reviews

It's a complete downer

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsBenefits, Pay. they do assist with school which is nice, but you are extremely limited as to what you can go for.

ConsManagement, Growth, Upper Management, Work/ Life balance, stress, abuse

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your employees and not just your customers.

Great company to work for, in the past.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsGreat benefits: health, 401k match 100%, time-off, ongoing training opportunities, education assistance. Most of the employees are great, as well. The pay is average in the industry, but there is no such thing as "life" balance. Management wants all work, all the time. Oops, a con in the pro field. But it's that much of a problem that it leaks all over everywhere.

ConsAs this company became bigger and bigger over the past 10 years (and more and more profit-focused), management style became more and more to the micro side. Nitpicking employees' faults to the nth degree, and focusing there, rather than on helping improve and work on issues as a team.
    Verizon is way too arrogant, and as can be seen with competitors' networks and customer experience results improving and surpassing our own, we have no reason to continue that in our culture. Need to refocus on taking care of the customers before they abandon us for those competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementCockiness might work on a sports field (though even that is questionable) but it certainly doesn't work in professional business. We act as though our "stuff" doesn't stink. But it does and it causes horrible stress and burn-out of employees. We are losing great people much more often than ever before, and they're not just leaving to improve their careers, most I've spoken to are leaving to improve their lives. Wake up and realize shareholders are not the be-all, end-all of our company. If our people aren't happy, our shareholders will soon be unhappy as well.

Good Entry Level

Retail Sales Representative (Current Employee) Eau Claire, WI

ProsPotential to make good money without much experience
    Good potential to move up within the company
    Great Tuition reimbursement
    One of the best 401k, health, and dental plans I have ever had

ConsQuotas for accessories were becoming extremely high and took a job and interaction with customers I once really enjoyed and made it feel as though I was expected to be a shady salesperson. The management seemed to coach you not on value selling, but how to trick people into buying items. There were plenty of things done that were unethical towards customers that you were expected to do and if you did not you were reprimanded by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementEthics in a store will be a long term asset as far as repeat customers. Make sure you are hiring into management on more than sales KPIs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

When the job is busy you have the opportunity to make some money.

ProsCan make commission. Relaxed atmosphere. Reasonable hours. Get a discount on accessories . Get to work around new products and tech.

ConsHorrible upper management. Commission structure changes constantly to keep reps from making to much. Unrealistic goals to be met and micromanaging is over the top. High turnover rate

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of you employees

Exhausting, semi-lucrative.

Retail Sales Representative (Former Employee) Mentor, OH

ProsOpportunity. Sales Training. Opportunity. Opportunity. Benefits

ConsCustomers, work-life balance, customers, customers, customers.

Good benefits and decent pay, but the company has too many policies and rules.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits and decent pay

ConsThe asks the retail managers to run the store as if it were their own business, but then allow no room for the store management to make decisions. There are reports for everything and you have to justify anything that is done that is outside policy. They will ask you to stick to policy even if the policy doesn't make sense in the given situation. The retail environment is not for someone that thinks outside of the box.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the managers actually manage the business.

Alright

Prosgetting to use phones, uncapped commissions

Conshaving to deal with people, you never know how much you are going to make, you also can risk hefty losses with business accounts

A company full of contridictions where changes good and bad were a constance

Customer Service Pro (Current Employee) Hanover, MD

ProsThe company paid benefits are wonderful.

ConsThe constant changes and poor work life balance are a source of continued problems in the call centers.

Good company to work for overall. Would probably still work there if they hadn't closed our call center.

Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) Manhattan, KS

ProsGood comp, good benefits, good working environment. They also had a good severance package for management employees.

ConsThe biggest con was the fact that they are too big for their own good. Wouldn't keep call centers open that were under 500 reps when they merged with other companies.

Retail sales - the good and the bad

Retail Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Council Bluffs, IA

ProsThe pay is very decent if you can handle the stress. Sometimes when there is downtime you get to just hang out and play games on the tablet computers and jam out to music. How much you like your job depends greatly on who you have as managers. I've had the most relaxed, fun managers who make coming to work fun or at least not too bad, and I've had the most uptight, strict managers who can make you dread coming into work each day.

ConsStressful work environment - too many things to offer each customer. Managers sometimes want you to repeatedly badger a customer to purchase something that they have already clearly indicated they are not interested in - it gets uncomfortable sometimes. Also retail hours are never good. Morning meetings are held weekly and are always pretty pointless.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry not to stress your sales reps out so much. Following reps around and stalking them while they are trying to help a customer makes an already stressful job seem almost unbearable. You hired this person as a sale rep for a reason - trust that they know what they are doing when they are with the customer and do not engage the customer and try to sell them additional stuff at any point during the transaction.

Worked for Verizon Wireless? Contribute to the Community!