Verizon Wireless

3,242 Reviews

Verizon Wireless President & CEO Daniel Mead
Daniel Mead
1,576 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay and benefits were good although commissions began shrinking which is why I eventually left (in 205 reviews)

• They offer great benefits - full health insurance from day 1 - no probation period (in 616 reviews)

Cons
  • Let see: almost NO work-life balance (asking for vacation gets you the evil-eye (in 328 reviews)

• They work you so many hours with no work/life balance at all (in 91 reviews)

More Highlights

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I learned a lot in my 10 years with Verizon Wireless.

Former Employee - Technical Support Coordinator II in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Coordinator II in Cranberry Twp, PA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working for Verizon Wireless was great for the first 5 years. The company really took care of their employees for benefits. The job can be incredibly stressful but you are payed well for what you do. We received bonus payouts each year based on performance as well. This was great because they paid them around same time as tax returns and this meant you could get yourself something nice each year as a kind of reward for your hard work. Overall the company afforded me a house and a bike and furnishings for inside. I would take the position again in an instant. I would however attempt to get off the phones much earlier on in my career.

Cons

The customers control how you do your job. You are put on warning based on how you are surveyed. The customers receive a survey after calling in and if your not having a good month of surveys it can cause you issues down the road. I can say I never had any problems with the surveys personally but I saw a few of my friends become sick over the system. Due to the stress of the job about 50% of my fellow employees were all on some form of medication and or going to a doctor for FMLA leave due to the stress. I worked with the company for 10 years and it has taken a toll on my body as well. Sitting all day everyday is a good way to put on weight. Your performance is based on how many calls per day you take and your adherence to your signed in and out times along with the surveys. Customers that are usually happy do not call in as much. Mostly irate or irrational customers call in.

The direct management at my center was great. I feel that the higher ups needed to realize that allowing the customers to rate everything you do can put too much pressure on your job. I would like to see the higher ups get surveyed each day 15 times a day and see how comfortable they feel in their position. I am sure they would be sick going to sleep and waking up each night. Basically there is a large disconnect like in all major businesses with the workers and the higher ups.

Highs and Lows but overall OK

Former Employee - Technical Support Coordinator in Cranberry Twp, PA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Vacation, PTO, and having "Flex Time" was great. The benefits made this the best job I've had. The initial training was a great experience and prepared you--for the most part--for being on the phones all day.

Cons

There were lots of managers that would micromanage their team. While I didn't have that experience for more than one supervisor, friends on different teams would tell me horror stories. Upper management was approachable, though. HIGHLY STRESSFUL ENVIRONMENT! Be careful of managing your time off because there would be people who ran out of Vacation or Personal time within the first three months of the year.

Verizon Wireless appreciates how difficult the position of customer service is and shows their appreciation.

Former Employee - Technical Support Coordinator in Cranberry Twp, PA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Job Security, Fun Product, Fair Wages, Opportunity to Grow with Company, Flexible Hours.

Cons

Customers who are impatient or demanding. Taking enough calls per day to meet stats.

Overworked and underpaid

Former Employee - Executive Relations in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Former Employee - Executive Relations in Cranberry Twp, PA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is a lot of room for advancement within the company. The benefits were pretty good and began on day one. The 50% employee discount was also pretty awesome.

Cons

TONS of nepotism. No standardization of processes or procedures. Incredible lack of communication between upper leadership and employees.

Listen to the employees and the people actually doing the work. There is so much room for improvement in that company that will never happen because of the disconnect between management and employees.

Troubleshoot voice and data issues take all calls customer service tech support escalate calls first call resolution

Former Employee - Technical Support Coordinator in Cranberry Twp, PA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay bonus if performing coworkers are what gets you thru the day. Customers can be demanding n will score you low if not given what they want even then they still may give you a bad review need to fix everything even if it's not relating to vzw can move up within the company great company to work for

Cons

Fast paced environment not much down time. Customers can drain you mentally

Great Career opportunity.

Former Employee - Technical Support Coordinator in Cranberry Twp, PA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I worked in Technical Support. We had excellent training, benefits and opportunities, bonuses. I was there 9 years in different capacities, was involved in numerous projects.

Cons

The technology is always changing, both outside and inside. You need to be eager to learn new things, up to working in a fast paced work environment, and able and willing to learn how to enhance the customer experience. Your success is mainly governed by the surveys that customers give rather than meeting performance goals. You have thin skin and are easily frustrated, this will be a difficult place to work.

I recommend tempering the policy of having the customer survey be a pass / fail for a call. While the current policy does force reps to build better relationships with customers, it also incentives giving away too much in order to avoid a bad survey.

Great job

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Cranberry Twp, PA

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The culture in the call center was very good. The company is on the cutting edge of the business.

Cons

Once the company was bought out from Voda Phone by Verizon Comm, the company became very cheap even though posting record profits.

Remember your people more so than the all mighty dollar.

it was ok

Current Employee - Technical Support Coordinator in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Coordinator in Cranberry Twp, PA

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

VZW has great opportunities for advancement, a lot of time off options, and a great bonus program. Most of the people that I worked with were great.

Cons

The company is more interested in getting its customers to spend more money, than doing what would be the right thing for them. They want to attract new customers more thanthey want to keep the ones they have. The available time off is always needed as it is a very stressful job.

Be more open to exsisting customer than the new ones.

Career Progression very slow; based only on time, not skills, experience or education

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative, Tech Coordinator in Cranberry Twp, PA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers and resources; if you start working there right out of high school, you can have a good career.

Cons

If you are planning on using your college education in your career, you will have to wait 5+ years in a job not using you college education before obtaining a college-level position

Better talent management needed; improve mobility for college-educated employees

The longer you're work there the worse it gets.

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Cranberry Twp, PA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Annual bonus, competitive pay, opportunity for advancement, nice facilities. It's an OK place to work. It used to be much, much better.

Cons

Micro management. Annual bonus smaller every year despite growth and profits. Forced along a singer career path. Extremely unlikely to get a day shift. If you switch departments you loose your seniority and you must to promote.

Carry seniority from department to department.